Has A Princess Captain Joined You or Invited You to Dinner at His Table?

need2cruisesoon

No never. Personally I probably would not accept anyway as I have no desire to spend time with them. I pass the niceties in the receiving line at the captain's circle party and that is enough for me. I have the same attitude to meeting our governor or mayor or even a TV/movie celebrity.

Just curious but what has your experience been when being entertained for dinner with the ships Captain?

Are Suite passengers given the option?

We were on Azamara many years ago in a Suite and were invited to a special dinner with the Captain along with other suite guests.

To be honest, we would decline should we be given an opportunity. We do not like large tables and we would not like the extra drama.

I do have a friend who cruises RCI regularly. He says he's offered dinner with the captain about two thirds of the time. It is his impression that cruise lines are rather particular about who is allowed at the captain's table. They want someone who is a good conversationalist and who will not embarrass the captain, ie, loud, gets drunk, etc. He related that once while having coffee on RCI, they were approached by a young female officer who engaged them in conversation. After a short period, she asked if they were interested in dinner with the captain. Turns out that part of her duties were to scout out suitable dinner companions for the captain. My friend also believes that many matre'd share information on persons deemed suitable/unsuitable for the captains table. He did suggest that if one is interested, they should talk to the matre'd.

My wife and I were invited to dine with Commodore Romano and his lovely wife last year aboard the Regal. We had a wonderful time. His in-laws and another couple made for some good conversation and fun. Plenty of good food, wine, and great desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We dined twice last month with Captain JP Bryant and his lovely wife Shannon. It was good conversation, and fun.

He used to be a Junior Officer on QE2 years ago when we sailed on that ship. Different wife though...........

I think people who wouldn't want to do it probably will never be invited so they don't need to worry.

We dined twice last month with Captain JP Bryant and his lovely wife Shannon. It was good conversation, and fun.

He used to be a Junior Officer on QE2 years ago when we sailed on that ship. Different wife though...........

I think people who wouldn't want to do it probably will never be invited so they don't need to worry.

I just think the captain has so much else to do that it never occurred to me he might be having dinner with passengers. (Love Boat silliness aside...). My wife says it sound like a "lovely" idea. I would imagine that anybody who has put in the time and effort to become a cruise ship captain likely has some very interesting stories to tell. It's my stories that I fear would bore the poor captain. ;p

Just curious but what has your experience been when being entertained for dinner with the ships Captain?

Are Suite passengers given the option?

We were on Azamara many years ago in a Suite and were invited to a special dinner with the Captain along with other suite guests.

We've not traveled in a suite as of yet but are elite on both Princess (20+ cruises) and Celebrity (15 cruises). Never have we gotten any special invitations from Princess but have been invited to one of the officer's tables on 3 of our Celebrity cruises. These were never at the Captain's table but once with the Staff Captain and twice with the hotel director. All experiences were beyond special and we felt very spoiled. At the staff captain's table, the other passengers were all in suites.

we have had the pleasure of dining with a few Captains. Not in the dining room but we have dined with them in the specialty restaurants. A few times in the Horizon Court and even have been honoured to be included in dinners in senior officer's cabins where the Captain was included.

We consider many our personal friends, and have visited some when they dock here in Vancouver and have visited Senior officers at their home too.

I've not dined with a captain...but

I was in the Wheelhouse with friends who knew the Captain. He joined us for drinks. He even bought me a soft drink (since I don't drink). Does that count? It was very informal and we had a very nice time socializing. I appreciated seeing the Captain out and about with the passengers.

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying this thread and stories. (Unusual, lately.)

No dinner for us, but Captain Oliver renewed our vows for our 30th last year on the Royal and it was very personal. It was also special, because he made it a point to come up to us at every event thereafter to chat. Captain 'Bob' was out and about on the ship a good amount and we found that quite nice.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we have had the pleasure of dining with a few Captains. Not in the dining room but we have dined with them in the specialty restaurants. A few times in the Horizon Court and even have been honoured to be included in dinners in senior officer's cabins where the Captain was included.

We consider many our personal friends, and have visited some when they dock here in Vancouver and have visited Senior officers at their home too.

Vickie, Only you.....because you are so darned lovable.....Hope Bernie is doing a lot better with his shoulder.....and may we meet again.

If you plan to dine with the captain, I hope you speak fluent Italian. Most Princess Captains do not speak English as their first language.

Honestly, wouldn't you rather that the captain be doing his job, commanding the ship?

If you plan to dine with the captain, I hope you speak fluent Italian. Most Princess Captains do not speak English as their first language.

Honestly, wouldn't you rather that the captain be doing his job, commanding the ship?

Yes its certainly better when the Captains first language is English, we at least have more in common with them then as well.

However the Captain I would like to share a table with sometime is Captain Michele Tuvo, got to be the funniest Captain on Princess.

And he is Italian I believe, his English is quite good.

He is the Captain who calls Bingo, who hand out doughnuts at the International café, serves food at the buffet etc etc.

We have seen him most on the Star Princess.

As far as commanding the ship, well the Staff Capitan does a lot of the everyday stuff but if the Captain is needed he will immediately leave the table and go to wherever they require him.

This has happened to us a couple of times.

LOL.. Seriously? Do really think that the Captain doesn't eat or take meals ??

FYI.. Captains have time off like the rest of the crew, obviously that's why there's several senior command officers onboard any ship, all capable of commanding a ship, and not just the Captain

Srpilo

Many captains speak English as their first language, and those that do not are usually pretty fluent in English. The captain who married us was Scottish, the captain we dined with was English, and the navigator was South African. In addition, all bridge officers work in shifts, so the captain is not on the bridge ALL the time. He, in fact, has time to dine, sleep and attend to other matters as well. If needed, he will be summoned to the bridge. Remember, he hosts the Captain's Circle parties, as well as the Welcome Aboard parties, and attends the MTP functions. (God forbid the navigator would not be on the bridge and we would have no idea where the ship was headed.)

In 2015 we did a Med cruise for our 25th. Princess upgraded us from a MA (not MA) mini to a full suite which got us our first taste of Sabatini's for breakfast. The captain made an appearance nearly every morning during breakfast and joined many tables for a cup of coffee, was a neat 20 minutes. Very memorable.

On my first cruise with Princess, I had signed up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. During our tour of the bridge, I had asked a few questions regarding the instrumentation and navigation systems, and the staff captain and I had a long conversation (while the others on the tour talked with the captain). Later that afternoon, I received an invitation to join the staff captain for dinner where we continued the conversation. I worked in aviation and had an interest in the maritime industry, while the staff captain worked in the maritime industry and had an interest in aviation. We had a very interesting time discussing both aspects. This was more a matter of two people having a common interest rather than just having dinner with a ship's officer. Needless to say, I enjoyed it very much. I did see him again on two other cruises; once we had cocktails along with friends I was cruising with, and another time, he invited my parents and I to the bridge for a tour (first time my parents had ever been on the bridge).

I think it could be very interesting to have dinner/socialize with ship's officers. On the other hand, I'd prefer it if it was something they wanted to do and not something they were obligated to do. I think the officers could easily tire of having to have dinner with pax, and I'm not sure I'd like to be considered "part of the job." (Although as a pax, almost every contact with ship's crew is technically, "part of their job.")

I think it would be a great evening, as long as the conversation didn't involve cruising, and formal wear wasn't required. Good conversation can make a so-so meal, into an excellent evening, and we've all had plenty of so-so meals on board! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

why would I want to eat with the help?

I agree. Fraternizing with cruise line employees has never been something I felt needed to be part of my cruise experience.

Wow. Y'all must be some celebrities with those attitudes. Humble much?:mad: