Crystal Blocks

Noreen411

13 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I believe he is thinking when C&A went from credits to points in January 2011.  I also missed a block by the conversion and I did contact C&A.  I did not get a block because C&A was generous when doing the conversion and that block number fell in the black hole.  Hard to complain about that.  I had a block at 40 rewards credit and then after the change a block at 420 points.

oh, you’re right!  I forgot about the credits to points change effecting that.  I’ve earned all of my blocks after that change. 

2 minutes ago, staggr said:

oh, you’re right!  I forgot about the credits to points change effecting that.  I’ve earned all of my blocks after that change. 

The blocks started in 2007 and credits changed to points in 2011.  My first block was in 2008 at 30 credits, so I received two blocks before credits changed to points.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did anyone see the recent video (I wish I could find the link) with Ken Rush and Michael Bayley talking about Royal Caribbean memorabilia?  I think it was called Looking Back.  At one point they showed a whole display of crystal blocks and neither one of them knew what the blocks where given for.  They finally decided the blocks were for Pinnacle members.  It was funny but I thought it was hard to believe neither one knew about them!

4 minutes ago, staggr said:

Did anyone see the recent video (I wish I could find the link) with Ken Rush and Michael Bayley talking about Royal Caribbean memorabilia?  I think it was called Looking Back.  At one point they showed a whole display of crystal blocks and neither one of them knew what the blocks where given for.  They finally decided the blocks were for Pinnacle members.  It was funny but I thought it was hard to believe neither one knew about them!

I found it surprising....and sad....they didn't know. Especially Ken Rush....who as a Cruise Director....had to have seen them onboard a ship.

A Trip Down Memory Lane

There has been recent postings on other topics about buying crystal blocks on eBay.  What has worked for me is trading blocks with other cruiser.  We would arrange to meet on a future cruise and exchange blocks so that we did not have to mail the blocks.  I have been able to trade for many ship blocks that I needed over the last few years.  I have also traded for blocks that I did not need because I had an extra block that another cruiser needed.  I now have a block for every Royal ship that I have sailed on that had/has blocks.  I feel lucky to have all the ship blocks that I have without having to purchase any on eBay.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

There has been recent postings on other topics about buying crystal blocks on eBay.  What has worked for me is trading blocks with other cruiser.  We would arrange to meet on a future cruise and exchange blocks so that we did not have to mail the blocks.  I have been able to trade for many ship blocks that I needed over the last few years. 

If I lived in Florida (or near any port) I would be in total agreement.  It's bad enough flying home with an extra 5 lbs on a plane but flying both to and from the cruise with an extra 5 lbs is a PITA.  

When the price is right an online auction can be better than flying to every cruise with blocks.

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

There has been recent postings on other topics about buying crystal blocks on eBay.  What has worked for me is trading blocks with other cruiser.  We would arrange to meet on a future cruise and exchange blocks so that we did not have to mail the blocks.  I have been able to trade for many ship blocks that I needed over the last few years.  I have also traded for blocks that I did not need because I had an extra block that another cruiser needed.  I now have a block for every Royal ship that I have sailed on that had/has blocks.  I feel lucky to have all the ship blocks that I have without having to purchase any on eBay.

You ever get Splendour?

1 minute ago, WeMissSeaView said:

If all my 2021 cruises do in fact sail, all the double points will earn me five crystal blocks in 2021.  However, I do not think they will all sail as planned.

If you plan B2B or S2S near block thresholds you can receive a couple more than that 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

If you plan B2B or S2S near block thresholds you can receive a couple more than that 🙂 

You would think that on a B2B with the same LA, that you would only get one.  But I have had it happen to me when a second one is waiting for me on the bed during the second cruise.  I know someone on a B2B2B that got three blocks.  Strange things happen with Royal.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello

Like many of you, I am still waiting to sail . I was amazed when I read that a passenger had a Sun Viking crystal block. I did not know they gave out blocks then . 

Anyways, I keep gaining more & more cancelled cruises and I am looking for a few blocks that I do not have to trade with my own extras. I am looking for either the Radiance or the Anthem. 
Oh yes, of course the Sun Viking . She had a picture ! ! ! 

My extras are the Brilliance & the Allure. 

When we sail next ..... T.B.A. by the CDC. I wish this was a joke. 

3 hours ago, Cruisedafewtimes said:

Hello

Like many of you, I am still waiting to sail . I was amazed when I read that a passenger had a Sun Viking crystal block. I did not know they gave out blocks then . 

Anyways, I keep gaining more & more cancelled cruises and I am looking for a few blocks that I do not have to trade with my own extras. I am looking for either the Radiance or the Anthem. 
Oh yes, of course the Sun Viking . She had a picture ! ! ! 

My extras are the Brilliance & the Allure. 

When we sail next ..... T.B.A. by the CDC. I wish this was a joke. 

I would like to see a picture of the Sun Viking block.  Sun Viking left Royal in 1998 and the Royal ship blocks started in 2007.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I would like to see a picture of the Sun Viking block.  Sun Viking left Royal in 1998 and the Royal ship blocks started in 2007.  

From an eBay auction:

937700282_RCIBlockfromoldship4.png.a6bb5ec470cf23a62b472678de622a92.png

No name in the block and it's thinner than current blocks. 

1449216987_RCIBlockfromoldship2.png.7b7a34e4115469573be9ee66beeae0ad.png

It's not Sun Viking.  Sovereign class in general characteristics even if the lifeboat configuration doesn't match but it is evidence that blocks beyond the modern or current block style exist.

Possibly created to serve some other purpose rather than the crystal block program as we know it today. 

RCI Block from old ship 3.png

Edited by twangster

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You really view RCI's crystal blocks as crap? I really like them. Perhaps a nice keychain for you?🤔

John has a huge collection of them, and I remember a cabinet he had in the condo that was back lit to display them.  

I never keep my duplicates, and give them away.  My sister has several, and my last one from Vision B3B we gave to our excellent head waiter.  You would have thought I gave him a million dollars, he practically cried.  Said his cabin mate had one, and he had been wanting once ever since. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, twangster said:

From an eBay auction:

937700282_RCIBlockfromoldship4.png.a6bb5ec470cf23a62b472678de622a92.png

No name in the block and it's thinner than current blocks. 

1449216987_RCIBlockfromoldship2.png.7b7a34e4115469573be9ee66beeae0ad.png

It's not Sun Viking.  Sovereign class in general characteristics even if the lifeboat configuration doesn't match but it is evidence that blocks beyond the modern or current block style exist.

Possibly created to serve some other purpose rather than the crystal block program as we know it today. 

RCI Block from old ship 3.png

Thank you for the picture.  Must have been something generic that was used/sold on all the ships at one time.  I did not think that there were any blocks prior to 2007 with ship names on them.