Will probably lose out on super upsell offer due to TA

rwilk1129

We live in SoCal and my TA is in CANADA! The best TA we've ever had, hands down! No huge discounts or huge amounts of OBC, but the service we get is unbelievable! Answers my annoying calls, my annoying emails, and not only mine, but our friends/family also! When I was left behind in the Bahamas, who reached out to me on FB and started making arrangements for me? MY TA in Canada, lol!! Oh, and two weeks ago, she informed me of an upsell offer for my son and his wife. We jumped on it and now they have an Outside cabin for $58 more!

The biggest or so called baddest travel agencies, or the ones that offer you a crazy amount of OBC does not mean that they are going to be there when you need them! A family member two years ago decided to go with one of these companies instead of our TA because of the huge OBC offer. When she wanted some questions answered and wanted to make some changes, guess what? She could not find ANYONE to help her! This time, she's going with our TA :)

I seldom use a TA anymore (even though I used to be one) for this very reason of having to go through a third party for every little thing.

You don't have to go through a TA for every little thing. Essentially, the only things you have to go through the TA are those that affect the choices you made during the initial booking or anything else that would change the TA commission. You can still book excursions, specialty dining, indulgences, etc, with involving the TA.

That sounds promising, but any dollar discount is only relevant when one understands the length of cruise and type of cabin involved - IOW the total spend. I could say we saved >$1000/pp, and we did, but that's not a 1-week cruise out of FLL to the Caribbean in an Inside cabin.

Also, if book with a TA, don't have to deal through them for "every little thing". Only bigger things like cancel, change of cabin category, payments. It's reported here we can even call in response to Upsells on our own.

There is one big box, membership, store with a travel agency. They offer OBC on all cruises. Their OBC is about 8 or 9% of the fare (less port charges and taxes). This OBC is in additon to any promos offered by the cruise lines. This is my backup TA. I prefer to use another TA who offers the same amount but as a discount. I think she only has two employees but they know you by name.

There is one big box, membership, store with a travel agency. They offer OBC on all cruises. Their OBC is about 8 or 9% of the fare (less port charges and taxes). This OBC is in additon to any promos offered by the cruise lines. This is my backup TA. I prefer to use another TA who offers the same amount but as a discount. I think she only has two employees but they know you by name.

Yes, I prefer the discount off the price - unless refundable OBC. BTW, I get a higher % off using same formula you mention. Just saying, not bragging. Takes some effort and patience perhaps.

Another thing the Big Box travel agency offers is the ability to make payment (final or otherwise) online. We find it easier to just pay with our credit card that way, rather than calling to make payment. In literally 1 minute you are paid off.

Many online agencies not only offer online payment, but encourage customers to make own bookings and self-serve so their costs are low to support the special pricing.

My TA forwards to me the email that Princess sent her about the upsell. It lists a phone number and extension to call. Any thread I've read about upsells everyone else mentions calling a number and then an extension not their TA. I don't know how quickly though she sends it. I only looked on the last one. It was time stamped about 12:30 am but she sent it to me mid afternoon. That was the day that Princess had issues with their website and also some of their phones. I tried the number once but got a busy signal. Wasn't really interested in the upsell though because it would mean changing cabins for the next cruise.

We live in SoCal and my TA is in CANADA! The best TA we've ever had, hands down! No huge discounts or huge amounts of OBC, but the service we get is unbelievable! Answers my annoying calls, my annoying emails, and not only mine, but our friends/family also! When I was left behind in the Bahamas, who reached out to me on FB and started making arrangements for me? MY TA in Canada, lol!! Oh, and two weeks ago, she informed me of an upsell offer for my son and his wife. We jumped on it and now they have an Outside cabin for $58 more!

The biggest or so called baddest travel agencies, or the ones that offer you a crazy amount of OBC does not mean that they are going to be there when you need them! A family member two years ago decided to go with one of these companies instead of our TA because of the huge OBC offer. When she wanted some questions answered and wanted to make some changes, guess what? She could not find ANYONE to help her! This time, she's going with our TA :)

Well, so is mine, but she works for a US-based agency. Who does yours work for? I doubt it is a brand name travel agency with store front services. That's what I mean by not finding discounters up here. I bet yours is tied in somehow with a US agency. Maybe I am wrong. Anyway, the important thing is you are happy!!!

My TA forwards to me the email that Princess sent her about the upsell. It lists a phone number and extension to call.

That's what my TA did and I dealt directly with Princess. I had to wait for a call back but it went very smoothly. My TA for this cruise is a deep discounter who I have done no business with before this trip. They bid a price for this cruise and got my business because they happened to be the cheapest.

I am booking direct with Princess... I usually book early, watch if price drops, always get lower price if it does, do not wait on a TA to do it. Get the same benefits from Princess that I would through a TA. I was offered two up sales on a future cruises recently. not something I wanted so passed on it. But if I got an offer i wanted would be very easy to contact Princess right away.

I use a TA who forwards the offers to me quickly. And then I call Princess myself. She would do it for me as these offers are always indicate "you or your TA call...." so I just take the middle-person out of the equation and deal directly with Princess on the upsells. If the offer hasn't expired yet, you might try calling the number on the offer yourself. Good luck!

That's what my TA says to do in the emails she sends when we've gotten an upsell offer.

Call Princess yourself!!

I am booking direct with Princess... I usually book early, watch if price drops, always get lower price if it does, do not wait on a TA to do it. Get the same benefits from Princess that I would through a TA. I was offered two up sales on a future cruises recently. not something I wanted so passed on it. But if I got an offer i wanted would be very easy to contact Princess right away.

Then you didn't have the best TA. I monitor the Price on Princess. In the rare circumstance it falls below what I have booked with a TA, I have had no issues rebooking before final payment with no change fees and still having the additional OBC.

Got email from TA that got offer from Princess to upgrade from obstructed balcony to Mini suite for $99 pp. Phoned TA and told her yes I wanted. She tried to call Princess while I was on hold but came back and said could not reach and left voicemail. Did not get a callback from TA so phoned and agency was closed at 7:00. Phoned first thing this morning and TA voicemail said off until Friday.Phoned agency and asked for somebody to contact Princess and said Princess would call them within 72hrs. Anybody ever heard of this? I figure I have lost out and I am very disappointed in TA. I cruise about 6 times a year and somebody must want my business. wish I could find a good TA

If you are unhappy with your TA, then you should find another TA.

Good news.Emailed my TA this morning and she phoned right back. She said Princess had not phoned back yet. This afternoon she called me and said we got a category MB mini for the $99ea upsell. I'm happy now. Guess I was upset about nothing. I thought these offers were very very time sensitive and that you had to be quick to react to get them. I have 2 more Princess cruises reserved that I booked with Princess for January, I will try same TA one more time and see what she offers(large internet agency with new terrible website)

Good news.Emailed my TA this morning and she phoned right back. She said Princess had not phoned back yet. This afternoon she called me and said we got a category MB mini for the $99ea upsell. I'm happy now. Guess I was upset about nothing. I thought these offers were very very time sensitive and that you had to be quick to react to get them. I have 2 more Princess cruises reserved that I booked with Princess for January, I will try same TA one more time and see what she offers(large internet agency with new terrible website)

Glad it worked out!

Why do you need a TA? Book direct or if you must, use one that is open 24/7.

I can't imagine why I use a TA unless... Perhaps the $900 he knocked off the price of my next cruise could be a reason? :rolleyes:

Good news.Emailed my TA this morning and she phoned right back. She said Princess had not phoned back yet. This afternoon she called me and said we got a category MB mini for the $99ea upsell. I'm happy now.

Can I ask which cruise you are sailing on, so I have an idea of when to expect an upgrade offer on my next cruise?

Glad to hear it worked out! Sounds like a really good upsell. What itinerary are you on?

Count me in with the folks who use a TA who regularly gives discounts off the Princess price. She also forwards me upsells in a timely way with instructions to call Princess directly. I've gotten upsells from an inside to a balcony and also from a mini to a full suite using this TA, while also getting a discounted fare. Win win.

I stopped using a TA when one forgot to send in my final payment - this was like 20 years ago and I lost my cabin

I stubbed my toe 20 years ago so I don't walk anymore. :D:evilsmile:

On a more serious note, words to the wise..... Princess should be the one charging your CC. When you are applying payment, they should be in contact with Princess and you should immediately receive an updated invoice showing paid. If you don't see a charge on your CC right away quick, I'd be OTP with Princess and agent checking if paid. Don't wait until the last day to pay - just in case.