Who to use for booking a cruise?

Flamingo15

I cruise 2-3 times a year, have always booked directly with the cruise lines, usually because I get an email with a particularly good deal and that particular offer works with my timing, costs, etc. I'm looking at a couple cruises that are more in advance, not so much spur-of-moment offerings. Do people see a big difference between using cruise travel agents vs. booking directly with the cruise line? Any tips or hacks on advanced booking?

Since all TA's can book any Rate or Promo that you can by booking Direct , you should always expect the TA to do better (additional OBC, Discount , Group Rate & Amenity , etc. ).

You do have to contact the TA for their Deal as they are not permitted to advertise their own Deal.

We use the TA that we do because their website is excellent. We can easily compare prices, dates, ships, deck plans, and much more, and each query will bring up the exact info based on our data (senior/repeater/veteran, etc.) which is in their system. After browsing their site for a long time, we decided that ethically we should use them for booking. No regrets. Now if I look at any cruiseline site, I get very frustrated with how complicated and slow it is to get any information.

The downside to using a TA is that you are now the TA’s customer. Until you board the ship, any and all communications or negotiations with the cruise line must be through your TA.

See a price drop and want to match? Talk to your TA

Need to make a cabin change? Talk to your TA

Need to change MDR time? Talk to your TA

Communications is vis versa also

Cruise line has a change? They notify your TA. The TA is then supposed to notify you.

Hi

As it is you get an email that attracts you and you take that opportunity to book. Everybody is happy, you get a cruise at a price you think is fair and the cruise line fills a cabin. The thing is...this is easy. What you are asking, is how do you get a better price? If you really want to know what a better price is, it requires the patience to do the research to understand what the price was yesterday (or last year).

Find cruises you might be interested a year or more out, that way you will know where the price was yesterday. You want to be able to book as soon as you feel comfortable that you can go. You want to have an understanding of what different TA's will are selling the "same" cabin (with whatever perks) for. Verify what restrictions/obligations in your cabin "rate" will be. Try to book with a "rate" that allows for price protection.

You don't say if you have particular cruise line preferences, but many offer additional perks for booking while on a cruise. Armed with all the information you have researched you might find that booking while onboard might give you some additional OBC. If you find one TA offers a better deal than another, don't hesitate to ask if the other can do better. Very important...make sure you are dealing with a reputable TA.

I cruise 2-3 times a year, have always booked directly with the cruise lines, usually because I get an email with a particularly good deal and that particular offer works with my timing, costs, etc. I'm looking at a couple cruises that are more in advance, not so much spur-of-moment offerings. Do people see a big difference between using cruise travel agents vs. booking directly with the cruise line? Any tips or hacks on advanced booking?

There's a zillion threads here on why use a TA and what they can do for you beyond the best deal from the cruise line itself. Look for 7-10% of the commissionable fare given to you by the TA as refundable OBC or a post-cruise rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use a TA who works for a travel agency .They offer free basic insurance and loyalty points .For every cruise we book we get X amount of points that can be used on a future cruise as onboard credit.

I think CC accepts ads from travel agencies, so mentioning of TAs (and implied solicitation from posters who might also be TAs) runs counter to their business model. Their ball, their rules.

What's interesting is that CC is now owned by TripAdvisor and the TripAdvisor forums have no such rule.

I'm not sure whether it's kosher to mention them by name but there is a website where you post your cruise details (itinerary, cabin category) and travel agencies bid in response. It doesn't always save me a bunch but often I save 10% or more.