Is Princess stale?

Loreni

Many new ships are coming out soon. None have my favorite feature: a covered walkable promenade with an ocean view. But at least they are offering some exciting innovations. It doesn't make up for taking away the promenade, but it is something.

What does Princess offer after taking the promenade? A larger piazza? Ocean Medallion ? Club Class? All seem stale compared to the competition. Sure the competition may be offering mainly bells and whistles and thinly veiled attempts to nickel and dime...but at least it seems exciting.

I wonder if Princess is regretting their "evolution" rather than revolution approach. Sky Princess seems stale and even the announcement didn't convey any energy or excitement.

Edited by Loreni

It seems like Princess is becoming stale to you from your post. Perhaps it's time for you to move over to the competition and I don't mean that in a snarky way. There are choices out there. But Princess is still selling very well.

I still love the product they put out, Granted, I am not happy with the small balconies on the Royal and Regal but I compensate with getting a room on the bump out where the balconies are larger. Unfortunately, there is no way for you to compensate the lack of a walkable promenade except to walk on the open deck near the top of the ship. If a promenade is your favorite feature, you might really have to seek out a ship that has it.

And while I prefer Princess, I would and have also booked Celebrity and HAL. Sometimes switching it up helps keeping thing fresh.

If the OP feels so negatively about Princess that they feel the need to start two separate threads on the same board to complain, I suspect it's time for them to get a new perspective by trying a different cruise line.

Princess is making some changes on the new builds, as well on the existing ships, that many of us loyalists are not thrilled with. But I imagine other cruise lines also make changes that displease their long term cruisers.

Unfortunately, the underlying reasons for those changes are more about the almighty profit dollar, and not about what pleases the people who provide a lot of those profit dollars by cruising on their ships over and over.

Overall, I still like the Princess offer and cruising style. Are there disappointing aspects? Sure, but I know and like their routines over other lines. We try different lines and always seem to come back. HAL had great ships and food but we were bored and entertainment lacked. Trying out the new MSC Seaside in January because we are bringing our 14-year old son. Really big ship, lots of activity. First time on MSC will be interesting. It really depends on personal preference and also itinerary options for where you are sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can sympathize with your feelings on being stale. They definitely are aiming at a different generation of cruisers than RCI or NCL. Although they seem to be changing very slowly they sure do leave a lot to be wished for in comparison.

Who knows if this will hurt them in years to come?:confused:

Unfortunately, the underlying reasons for those changes are more about the almighty profit dollar, and not about what pleases the people who provide a lot of those profit dollars by cruising on their ships over and over.

Princess is a business after all and shareholders (I am not one) expect it to turn a profit - and the larger the better! There is lots of competition out there for our cruising dollars and many (most?) mainline passengers are price sensitive and lower prices mean that cuts to the existing cruise experience are made or more 'extra charge' items introduced. That's just economics.

Many new ships are coming out soon. None have my favorite feature: a covered walkable promenade with an ocean view. But at least they are offering some exciting innovations. It doesn't make up for taking away the promenade, but it is something.

What does Princess offer after taking the promenade? A larger piazza? Ocean Medallion ? Club Class? All seem stale compared to the competition. Sure the competition may be offering mainly bells and whistles and thinly veiled attempts to nickel and dime...but at least it seems exciting.

I wonder if Princess is regretting their "evolution" rather than revolution approach. Sky Princess seems stale and even the announcement didn't convey any energy or excitement.

It may be you.....Sky Princess sold out pretty fast....I think the new ships are much more exciting then their old ships which I would describe as pale and stale....we like the way Princess is going...."times are a changing!" :D

I think that some of the itineraries are stale. They could several different stop in AK more often. New England really could use a change up. I could think of lots of different stops that would be really different. Same thing in the Caribbean find a new island every few years could keep it fresh.

framer

I'm not going to say I agree or disagree. There are some good and not so good things on all ships...specifically with what ever market share they are going with. I don't see Princess ever going the rock climbing, ice skating, sky viewing, bowling alley route. They are trying to remain classy while evolving their business. I for one, gonna get bashed here, don't really care for the Piazza on the Royal Class ships. I find it crowded, extremely loud, not enough seating for those who want to watch an event held there. A friend and myself were seated by the IC and couldn't even hold a conversation, sitting across from each other, could hear. IF they took part of the marble out, making a wooden dance floor and perhaps putting sound absorbing materials around would soften it a bit. I just breeze through there on my way from point A to Point B. I also don't care for the Spa to be forward next to the elevators. Always someone standing there staring at you as you make your way to the elevator, like scorning you if you don't make an appointment. However I do LOVE the Promenade decks. I never cared for the traditional, such as on the Caribbean Princess since they now allow jogging and running along there. I find it very dangerous for those who want to take the slow paced stroll to take in the view, which was what it is traditionally used for. As for balconies and stairs...well...they are what they are. If you want a HUGE balcony, they have them...book a suite.

My other pet peeve on these ships are the smoking area --aft--especially the Regal, where the area is right in where they put the aft "pool" (that's another story), the place smells like an ash tray, Now that's something they should look into.

I think that some of the itineraries are stale. They could several different stop in AK more often. New England really could use a change up. I could think of lots of different stops that would be really different. Same thing in the Caribbean find a new island every few years could keep it fresh.

framer

YES....I have been enjoying the repositioning out of NY for the past seven years. BUT, as easy as it is to get to the port and fly one way home, I am so Antigua-ed out, If I never go there again it will be to soon. For a while it was St Thomas year after year. Then the itineraries repeated a couple of years. So next year we are doing the West coast for a change. I'm not looking forward to the flights...but if Princess won't change it up...I have to

For us Princess is great. The only pet peeve is an absence of indoor pool. Will Sky have it like Majestic? We would have many more cruises if Princess had Indoor pools and more sailing from Northeast.

And we absolutely love New Piazza. Celebrated New Year there.

Definitely less crowded than on a Grand Class.

It appears that the OP wants something "more" from Princess.

Well I want something "less".

When the new Royal and Regal were first announced my initial reaction was that Princess was cribbing too much from RCI/X and NCL: making the Piazza the center of all activity; so many alternative dining venues (pay or free) as to dowgrade the MDR experience; virtually no inexpensive (inside or oceanview) cabins, And thence came the unlimited alcohol package. And now there is the Ocean Medallion (inspired by RCI and Disney) and Club Class Dining--though I concede the latter is probably a bit late as an upgraded dining program has been a reasonable expectation of those paying for a full suite for quite some time now.

But if Princess becomes all about the "bells and whistles" that is when I will defect. Likely saving my pennies and cruising less often but on a more premium line. There has been too much change-for-the-sake-of-change already, leaving me nostalgic for the "old" Princess. An opinion I would guess more likely shared on this board than the idea that Princess is "stale".

Edited by fishywood

I am a transplant from another cruise line. I have my third cruise with Princess coming in August and have just booked another for August 2019. Like the OP I thought, for my wife and I, that after 25 cruises with the same line it was time for a change. Ship and itineraries were getting in the OP's word "stale". We needed a change anddecided on Princess. For us the change is refreshing. My advice to the OP is try something else if you don't like it Princess will be here waiting for your return.

bob

Edited by ICUQT
to correct

I think that some of the itineraries are stale. They could several different stop in AK more often. New England really could use a change up. I could think of lots of different stops that would be really different.

So which ports would you suggest?

Royal Princess heads to Alaska for Summer 2019. Can you actually picture a 3500+ passenger ship calling at Sitka or Kodiak? Not gonna happen. Icy Strait Point has added a dock so that one large ship per day can call there, and Princess has increased those calls. But its not like Carnival Corp can built an Alaskan equivalent of Amber Cove or Mahogany Bay.

As for Canada/New England, next fall Princess will send only Royal and Regal there. Eliminating or severely limiting the calls at Saguenay, Gaspe, Prince Edward Island, and Saint John NB. So lots of tendering at Newport and Bar Harbor with 3500 of your new close friends.

The only fix is for Princess to send smaller ships. Perhaps with Island and Coral doing some long "exotic" sailings the next couple years as other ships can now transit the Panama Canal, Princess will add an exotic Canada/New England (that can turn around in Montreal). Or more exotic Caribbean than the couple each year Pacific Princess does. Either way if I ever sail to Canada/New England or South America again it will be on a ship half the size of Royal or Regal, leaving Princess unfortunately out of the picture for now.

framer

We cruise the Caribbean almost exclusively in the last few years and there's not one island that they haven't visited many times over.

What suggestions are there remaining?

I'm not going to say I agree or disagree. There are some good and not so good things on all ships...specifically with what ever market share they are going with. I don't see Princess ever going the rock climbing, ice skating, sky viewing, bowling alley route. They are trying to remain classy while evolving their business. I for one, gonna get bashed here, don't really care for the Piazza on the Royal Class ships. I find it crowded, extremely loud, not enough seating for those who want to watch an event held there. A friend and myself were seated by the IC and couldn't even hold a conversation, sitting across from each other, could hear. IF they took part of the marble out, making a wooden dance floor and perhaps putting sound absorbing materials around would soften it a bit. I just breeze through there on my way from point A to Point B. I also don't care for the Spa to be forward next to the elevators. Always someone standing there staring at you as you make your way to the elevator, like scorning you if you don't make an appointment. However I do LOVE the Promenade decks. I never cared for the traditional, such as on the Caribbean Princess since they now allow jogging and running along there. I find it very dangerous for those who want to take the slow paced stroll to take in the view, which was what it is traditionally used for. As for balconies and stairs...well...they are what they are. If you want a HUGE balcony, they have them...book a suite.

My other pet peeve on these ships are the smoking area --aft--especially the Regal, where the area is right in where they put the aft "pool" (that's another story), the place smells like an ash tray, Now that's something they should look into.

I'm in agreement with that. Maybe something as simple as a noise barrier for the IC and gelato would be of big help so people wouldn't have to screem their orders. :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried talking to the Captains host while the band was playing? It's impossible. :(

At least the future sales dept has a door. :)

Yes, I know its a $$$$ thing, but it seems IF Princess would or could mix up the ships a bit, giving more flexibility to the type of ports, it would make a more interesting trip. It seems that for the past seven years, the only ships available on the East Coast are the Caribbean, Royal and Regal, with the Caribbean and Regal being the only ships available when we choose our dates. I would love to sail the Pacific or Island....IF they could get repositioned to the East Coast.

Princess is my favorite cruise line, but I do go on other lines to compare. Although I have enjoyed every cruise I've been on, I always end of saying "I miss the way Princess does _____" more than once. I'd recommend going on other lines and seeing if they become your favorite or if you return to Princess.

I'm not sure about the energy comment on the new ship. New ships always excite me. Although having said that, my favorite ship so far has been The Golden Princess.

This post and others lament stale destinations, desiring new ports to explore. I doubt that will happen with the ever bloated mega ships, and more of the beasts on the drawing boards/CAD screens.

While we love Princess overall, we are seeking smaller ships out of necessity to explore newer (to us) destinations. The cost is generally higher, but the experience may be worth a try for us. Oh, a fleet of newer Tahitian Princess type ships would be sweet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

And while I prefer Princess, I would and have also booked Celebrity and HAL. Sometimes switching it up helps keeping thing fresh.

We did a B2B, first leg Princess second was Norwegian. The comparisons and differences were eye opening. They both do a great job at most everything. There were some hits for both and some misses for both.

So as suggested, it's all a matter of what's important to you. Do a B2B if you can swing it on 2 different lines and choose which you like better. We did and Princess fits us the best for amenities, value, Itineraries etc.

Now I do wish for the old days before the nickel-n-diming started but it's on all of the "budget" lines. You need to pony-up more cash and take the step up to have less of it.

I don't see Princess going stale in the general product sense as they have introduced many new features and innovations over the past decade. Sure, they are stumbling out of the gate with *****, but I expect they will eventually get their act together. The improved internet alone will be great.

IDK the infrastructure situation, or if it would mean lots of tenders, but I do find the Caribbean itineraries stale. I disagree that most ships and trips cover all the islands. Plenty of islands to choose from. FLL-STT-STM-P Cay is rather "tired" you might say as much as I love STT.