12 cruise ship passengers dead after bus crashes in Mexico (Costa Maya)

CA_Cruzing

We were on a cruise ship shore excursion bus a few years ago. After viewing the ruins at Tulum, Mexico, passengers were served on the bus subway sandwiches and cold beer. Our driver was guzzling his beers down while he drove! I was never so scared.

We were on a cruise ship shore excursion bus a few years ago. After viewing the ruins at Tulum, Mexico, passengers were served on the bus subway sandwiches and cold beer. Our driver was guzzling his beers down while he drove! I was never so scared.

Third world country but not acceptable. :eek: Luckily all our bus drivers have been professional and good cautious drivers.

When I heard, I went to Royal Carribbean's board. A man had posted on it that his brother and wife were on that excursion . He had called (they were actually on Celebrity Equinox ship and were told they were on that bus. Sadly Royal Carribean International called him with the sad news.They were among the 12 killed. Poor man had told them to take that particular tour.

This is a huge tragedy and barely mentioned in our news.

OK I'm so upset, I saw the news about the shore tour gone so wrong. We have take that tour form the ship. So many prayers for all. I can't believe the news this am... here the ship is sailing away and newsperson saying that people in hospital are now on there own. what a shocking report, I hope it is wrong. We all ways take travel insurance but I never think to take it with me on shore tours. guess i will from now on.

OK I'm so upset, I saw the news about the shore tour gone so wrong. We have take that tour form the ship. So many prayers for all. I can't believe the news this am... here the ship is sailing away and newsperson saying that people in hospital are now on there own. what a shocking report, I hope it is wrong. We all ways take travel insurance but I never think to take it with me on shore tours. guess i will from now on.

We took that tour a few years ago. It was a long bus ride both ways and not worth all the time spent to see the Mayan Ruins.

The important lesson here is never travel without insurance.

Howard

Yikes

I suspect Mexico would be quite incensed at being called a Third World country. EM

Living near the border with Mexico and in a city that is over 60% Hispanic, it was a poor choice of words.

The ships did sail to Cozumel with their several thousand pax. They cannot wait around while these pax recuperate delaying thousands of pax. The cruise line has a representative in Costa Maya that will assist the injured and deceased plus the US Embassy is getting involved as are other embassies. RCI is flying relatives there as well. There will be a lot of legal issues involved in getting the deceased back to their homes since Mexican and international laws arre now involved.

First off, this is a sad and terrible situation...

But as this was an independent excursion, what is really expected of RCL and Celebrity if I have read and heard correctly. If not, please correct immediately

From the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean boards, it was an official ship excursion.

much appreciated clarification. I guess I was confused that there were passengers from both Celebrity and RCL

The two ships were there together in Costa Maya. Both offered the same excursion and since it is an all day trip, both ship excursions left at the same time. There were 4 from the Serenade and the rest from the Celebrity. Celebrity, owned by RCI, and RCCL, I believe are tighter controlled by corporate from the same office. While Carnival Corp acts as a holding company to their 10 lines giving each a lot of autonomy.

I suspect Mexico would be quite incensed at being called a Third World country. EM

Actually I don't think they would object. Most list classify them as being non-aligned. It also happens that most countries that fall into that category are developing. !st world is developed countries aligned with Nato and the west. 2nd world are those primarily with Russia and China. Those unaligned are third world.

Definition of a third world country

A Third World country is a country whose views are not aligned with NATO and capitalism or the Soviet Union and communism. The use of the term "Third World" started during the Cold War and was used to identify which of three categories the countries of the world aligned with.

Third world country but not acceptable. :eek: Luckily all our bus drivers have been professional and good cautious drivers.

Really.....accidents happen every where.....the Amtrak wreck the other day does not make the US a third world country even though many many countries would consider train service in the US at third world levels or even worse.....:rolleyes:

I have seen folks taking tours, in the back of a pick truck, with kitchen type chairs.... no if this is not 3rd world I don't know what is.... travelers need to use some common sense...

Did you report this at the cruise desk? All cruise lines say they approve the excursion operators. It would seem that any cruise line would want to change excursion operators if they found out that the bus drivers were allowed to drink beer while driving.

Did you report this at the cruise desk? All cruise lines say they approve the excursion operators. It would seem that any cruise line would want to change excursion operators if they found out that the bus drivers were allowed to drink beer while driving.

A lot of safety issues slip past Princess's checks, like operating a dive boat without having life jackets. Until something unfortunate actually occurs nothing will be done about it.

Still so sad. having take this tour it could have happen to any of us. Early in our cruising days we took a tour in Belize and on the way back the driver stop at a store and the guide jumped out and bought back a beer for both of them to drink on the way back to the ship. I was super scared but didn;'t say anything or report them. Now I'm older & wiser I would have definitely spoke up and them reported them.