Microwave Oven Access

2 Rookie Cruisers

Do guests have access to a microwave oven? My girl has rheumatoid arthritis and she uses a heating pad. We were told that those aren't allowed because they pose a fire hazard. I suggested one of those gel packs that you can heat up in the microwave to soothe her aching joints. But I'm not sure if there would be a microwave we could use to heat them up.

Thoughts?

Apologies if this was already covered or has already happened. Consider contacting your cruise line, explaining the RA, and need for a heating pad. Perhaps they will accommodate her needs.

The USB heating pad mentioned by Velvetwater looks like it might be a good option.

• 1 year later...

8 11 19

Do NOT reply on the medical offices!!  

I have diabetes.  My first cruise, I accidentally forgot half my supplies. 

On board, they only had one size syringe and I take microunits so I was sick almost the entire trip. It WAS MY FAULT. However, I found out only an RN was aboard, no MD. Just one RN for thousands of passengers.

I too have GI issues and use a heating pad a lot. I am bringing it for our upcoming cruise.

I suggest you bring, esp,if it's your 1st cruise, or if you've got kids, to plan ahead (Bursar's desk is ALWAYS FILLED w/passengers being sea sick)

My bag has:

pepto                  cough drops                                        Benadryl             Motrin

ASA                     Tums                                                    Insect Repel       Bandaids

Dramamine        Nexium (b/c it works in 10 min!)     Immodium         Neosporin

and, enough diabetic supplies for a MONTH (cruise is 7 days)

Well, welcome to Cruise Critic. But I must say what an odd first post. You managed to dredge up an old thread about microwave oven access and heating accessories. Okay. My question is: what ship (with thousands of passengers) on what line did not have an MD on board? My impression is that the presence of an MD on passenger ships (of a certain capacity) is required by law. But I've been wrong before. Please advise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I believe that it is a requirement the have a doctor onboard if there are more than 12 passengers.  EM

I do not think so

it may depend on where they are sailing

We have been on a couple of small lines in the USA & no doctor onboard  for 30 pax

1 hour ago, amberngriff said:

I suggest you bring, esp,if it's your 1st cruise, or if you've got kids, to plan ahead (Bursar's desk is ALWAYS FILLED w/passengers being sea sick)

Do you mean Purser  ? Usually Reception can had out sea sick meds  no need to see the Purser

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

What kind if ship and itinerary were  they sailing that was so bad the GS desk was always full of sea sick pax?

And why are they posting on a thread about heat packs?

New member + first post = let's see if we can get things hopping?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NCL - Norwegian Cruise Line.  PR to Eastern Carrib

Ship?  I do not recall.

On board, they only had one size syringe and I take microunits so I was sick almost the entire trip. It WAS MY FAULT. However, I found out only an RN was aboard, no MD. Just one RN for thousands of passengers.

I too have GI issues and use a heating pad a lot. I am bringing it for our upcoming cruise.

My bag has:

pepto                  cough drops                                        Benadryl             Motrin

ASA                     Tums                                                    Insect Repel       Bandaids

Dramamine        Nexium (b/c it works in 10 min!)     Immodium         Neosporin

35 minutes ago, amberngriff said:

NCL - Norwegian Cruise Line.  PR to Eastern Carrib

Ship?  I do not recall.

From the Norwegian Cruise line website:

Is there a doctor on board?

A physician and nurse are on each ship to provide medical care and services at customary charges. Commonly used medications are kept on board and may be prescribed by the ship's doctor.

How did you take a cruise and don't recall the ship's name?  How recent was this cruise?

Edited by Shmoo here

On 8/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, LHT28 said:

I do not think so

it may depend on where they are sailing

We have been on a couple of small lines in the USA & no doctor onboard  for 30 pax

I believe you're referring to Blount or American Cruises?  These are considered "inland" or "coastal" and the passages are less than 12 hours, so there must only be a "certified medical provider" onboard, typically one of the deck officers.

All NCL ships have a minimum of one doctor, one nurse, and one medical clerk.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2017 at 12:55 PM, Kartgv said:

I solved that problem myself by getting an old fashioned hot water bottle (Amazon). Easy to pack, cheap & re-usable, works for hot or cold. Just fill it with ice or hot tap water or, if that's not hot enough, order a carafe of boiling water from room service to mix in with the tap water.

I'm very thankful I found this thread from almost two years ago. We leave tomorrow on a short cruise and DH managed to strain his Achilles tendon. He's been told to ice it down, and this suggestion is the best idea I've seen for how to deal with it on the ship.

13 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

I'm very thankful I found this thread from almost two years ago. We leave tomorrow on a short cruise and DH managed to strain his Achilles tendon. He's been told to ice it down, and this suggestion is the best idea I've seen for how to deal with it on the ship.

For ice packs when traveling, I just use a ziploc bag wrapped in a washcloth (or towel, or my handy-dandy bandana I always have).

• Like 1

8 13 19 I found this recent article too.  I like to keep all my insulin COLD when I'm going to be en route for like 17 hrs soon:         

3-1-1 RULE AND LIQUIDS

Unless you have avoided flying since 2001, you are likely aware of the 3-1-1 rule that states you have to pack liquids (like shampoo) in a clear, plastic zip lock to go through security. The liquids have to be 3.4 ounces or less as well. Unfortunately, TSA applies these rules to food that they consider to be liquid.         

The following items are listed as a liquid/gel on TSA's website: - Nut butter (squeeze packs included) - Jam/jelly - Yogurt - Oil and vinegar - Creamy cheese - Salsa - Soups Items that are not specifically identified as liquid or gel on the TSA website, but fit the same description include: - Pudding/ Jell-O - Hummus - Salad dressing - Fruit cups with syrup - Apple sauce

GEL PACKS & TIPS TO KEEP YOUR FOOD COLD

The good news is TSA will allow you to go through security with an icepack, as long as the icepack is frozen solid during screening. The TSA website states, "If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements." - Make sure you freeze your gel packs for at least 24 hours before your trip. - Pack your gel packs right before you head to the airport. - Leave your 6 Pack Bag in the trunk of your car (out of the sun) while you drive to the airport. - Keep everything in your bag colder by completely freezing at least one of your meals. Place the frozen meal container in the middle of the non-frozen. I place the frozen meal in the middle row of my Innovator along with the frozen gel packs and have never had any issues. - If you are concerned about your ice packs melting before you get to security, add some other frozen items to your 6 Pack Bag like frozen grapes, peas or carrots. This will help to keep the entire bag cooler, keeping the gel packs colder longer. - Pack a few extra zip lock bags in case your gel packs do get slushy and you have to throw them away. You can fill the zip lock bags with ice after you have been through security to keep your food cold.

15 hours ago, amberngriff said:

8 13 19 I found this recent article too.  I like to keep all my insulin COLD when I'm going to be en route for like 17 hrs soon:         

3-1-1 RULE AND LIQUIDS

Unless you have avoided flying since 2001, you are likely aware of the 3-1-1 rule that states you have to pack liquids (like shampoo) in a clear, plastic zip lock to go through security. The liquids have to be 3.4 ounces or less as well. Unfortunately, TSA applies these rules to food that they consider to be liquid.         

The following items are listed as a liquid/gel on TSA's website: - Nut butter (squeeze packs included) - Jam/jelly - Yogurt - Oil and vinegar - Creamy cheese - Salsa - Soups Items that are not specifically identified as liquid or gel on the TSA website, but fit the same description include: - Pudding/ Jell-O - Hummus - Salad dressing - Fruit cups with syrup - Apple sauce

GEL PACKS & TIPS TO KEEP YOUR FOOD COLD

The good news is TSA will allow you to go through security with an icepack, as long as the icepack is frozen solid during screening. The TSA website states, "If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements." - Make sure you freeze your gel packs for at least 24 hours before your trip. - Pack your gel packs right before you head to the airport. - Leave your 6 Pack Bag in the trunk of your car (out of the sun) while you drive to the airport. - Keep everything in your bag colder by completely freezing at least one of your meals. Place the frozen meal container in the middle of the non-frozen. I place the frozen meal in the middle row of my Innovator along with the frozen gel packs and have never had any issues. - If you are concerned about your ice packs melting before you get to security, add some other frozen items to your 6 Pack Bag like frozen grapes, peas or carrots. This will help to keep the entire bag cooler, keeping the gel packs colder longer. - Pack a few extra zip lock bags in case your gel packs do get slushy and you have to throw them away. You can fill the zip lock bags with ice after you have been through security to keep your food cold.

There are exceptions to the 3-1-1 rule for prescription medications. I've traveled with cough syrup under that exception (cough hanging on and causing difficulty sleeping after the cold that caused it is over).

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/09/05/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-medication

I've seen other articles that suggest that ice packs needed to keep the medication cold would also be allowed under this exception even if they aren't totally hard, but haven't seen anything definitive on the TSA website. They page above has a number to call to ask questions so if in doubt, try that.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, chengkp75 said:

I believe you're referring to Blount or American Cruises?  These are considered "inland" or "coastal" and the passages are less than 12 hours, so there must only be a "certified medical provider" onboard, typically one of the deck officers.

All NCL ships have a minimum of one doctor, one nurse, and one medical clerk.

On Star Clipper (140 passengers double occupancy, 70+ passengers on my sailing) in Thailand, we only had a nurse. He was one of the waiters in the restaurant and doubled as the nurse. They didn't say what his level of nursing qualification was. From my interaction with him (cleaning and re-bandaging an arm injured during an excursion the penultimate day of my cruise), I doubt that he was RN level or higher. 

I have read that they have a doctor when doing a crossing - something with multiple consecutive sea days.

15 hours ago, amberngriff said:

I found this recent article too.  I like to keep all my insulin COLD when I'm going to be en route for like 17 hrs soon: 

Not sure why you are posting about travelling with medications when this thread has been about hot and cold packs aboard ship.  However,  the recommendations you quoted were regarding food and freezer packs. TSA exempts liquid meds from the usual 311 restrictions. And there are freezer packs that freeze hard and solid that last much, much longer than the more common gel packs. 

However, since you are using injectables,  I'm surprised you continue to use something as archaic as gel packs when Frio wallets have been the go to for travelling with injectables for years.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, amberngriff said:

8 11 19

My bag has:

Not sure what cruise line you use, but Royal Caribbean has a fully stocked medical center with doctors/nurses; not just one RN for thousands of people.  RC does not allow heating pads.  Many of the problems or things you commented on are perhaps cruise line specific.

On 12/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, dsrdsrdsr said:

Don't most modern ships have kettles in the cabins nowadays? The older ones (pre 1990, perhaps) don't because of dodgy power supply, but I'd expect the newer ones to have them. Or to let you take your own.

No.  Royal Caribbean only has kettles available on cruises originating in England, and perhaps Australia.   Also, has coffee makers available in junior suites and up - not standard cabins.  You cannot take your own on board.  

On 8/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, amberngriff said:

8 11 19

My bag has:

Odd..  I have often  been  told no cruise ship sails  without at least one ship's doctor aboard.   Mandatory...

Perhaps you were misinformed   ?

HAL has a doctor for  crew and another for guests.  Of course, when and if necessary, one assists the other.

image.png.d6cb3f6ef57da27f43db0b4c56450553.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

On Star Clipper (140 passengers double occupancy, 70+ passengers on my sailing) in Thailand, we only had a nurse. He was one of the waiters in the restaurant and doubled as the nurse. They didn't say what his level of nursing qualification was. From my interaction with him (cleaning and re-bandaging an arm injured during an excursion the penultimate day of my cruise), I doubt that he was RN level or higher. 

I have read that they have a doctor when doing a crossing - something with multiple consecutive sea days.

Was this cruise strictly within Thailand?

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Odd..  I have often  been  told no cruise ship sails  without at least one ship's doctor aboard.   Mandatory...

Perhaps you were misinformed   ?

HAL has a doctor for  crew and another for guests.  Of course, when and if necessary, one assists the other.

image.png.d6cb3f6ef57da27f43db0b4c56450553.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

"Coastwise" voyages of passenger vessels, like Blount in the US, and I believe the previous poster's cruise around Thailand, if the passages are less than 12 hours, then they only need a "coastwise medical kit" and a certified "medical services provider", as determined by the flag state.  The same applies to ferries.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Was this cruise strictly within Thailand?

"Coastwise" voyages of passenger vessels, like Blount in the US, and I believe the previous poster's cruise around Thailand, if the passages are less than 12 hours, then they only need a "coastwise medical kit" and a certified "medical services provider", as determined by the flag state.  The same applies to ferries.

No - we had a stop in Malaysia. There are other itineraries such as Singapore to Thailand.