Disembarkation Day

mellon1

Can you do self assist with that amount of luggage? Your bags must be checked in 69 min before flight so before 9:30. 6 ships that airport will be a zoo. Both for checked luggage and tsa. I didn't think princess will do your luggage fir such an early flight

It is actually quite simple to find a taxi at the port at PE. Just ask directions as you exit the terminal. If the next taxi in line isn’t big enough for all your stuff, there will be one in the line to suit your needs. None of my concern, but I would like to strongly encourage you to use the laundry service on the ship—often. Sure, it costs—but they have “specials” during the week and it is so worth it to just let them do your laundry. It frees you to enjoy your cruise and not worry about waiting for an available washer.

We do use the laundry. I am really going to have to go through and try to eliminate. It seems when I do that, those things are always the things we need!

Formal clothes and clothes for MDR, then day clothes, suits, toiletries....OH MY!!

Maybe my New Year's resolution needs to reduce luggage!

It is actually quite simple to find a taxi at the port at PE. Just ask directions as you exit the terminal.

Sometimes there is no wait/line.

Sometimes there is an hour wait.

Depends on the berth and how many ships are in port.

Here are my two cents

With all that luggage it would be difficult to do early walk off. With early walk off you must be able to wheel or carry all of your luggage without assistance off the ship, through immigration, down the elevator and out to the porter area. You will probably have to select the earliest non early walk off time.

Once off the ship there are lines of taxis, just walk over to grab one.

For what it is worth in Feb/Mar 2017 we cruised for 30 days from Chile to FLL plus another 5 days pre cruise in Chile. We had to pack for both hot and the cold weather at the southern tip of S.A. We were able to do this in two 30 inch suitcases under 50 lbs each, and 2 day packs (school packs). This winter we are going to the Caribbean for 44 cruise days plus some land time with the same packing. It is not too difficult to do. Even when we did an Australian land tour plus 31 days cruise back to L.A. we did it with less luggage than you mention.

Here are my two cents

With all that luggage it would be difficult to do early walk off. With early walk off you must be able to wheel or carry all of your luggage without assistance off the ship, through immigration, down the elevator and out to the porter area. You will probably have to select the earliest non early walk off time.

Once off the ship there are lines of taxis, just walk over to grab one.

For what it is worth in Feb/Mar 2017 we cruised for 30 days from Chile to FLL plus another 5 days pre cruise in Chile. We had to pack for both hot and the cold weather at the southern tip of S.A. We were able to do this in two 30 inch suitcases under 50 lbs each, and 2 day packs (school packs). This winter we are going to the Caribbean for 44 cruise days plus some land time with the same packing. It is not too difficult to do. Even when we did an Australian land tour plus 31 days cruise back to L.A. we did it with less luggage than you mention.

If I leave 2 old luggage behind, then we could do 2 carry ons and 2 suit cases.

You are looking at packing from the wrong perspective. You're not doing one 35 day cruise, you're doing five 7-day cruises. Take enough clothes for 7 days and wear them five times. Or enough for 10 days and wear them 3 times plus extra. At home, over 35 days, would you really wear 35 completely different outfits? I certainly could do it, but they all wouldn't be my faves. I'd rather repeat a favourite outfit three times than drag along one beloved outfit and two only okay ones. Doing laundry takes no time at all, especially on turn-around day when the ship is deserted.

That said, make sure you ask for the earliest disembarkation time, as a 10.30 flight is pushing it timewise. FLL is such a zoo anymore, and on Saturday, there was a bit of a wait for taxis; had I needed a van, I would have waited even longer. This was at a later disembarkation time.

You are looking at packing from the wrong perspective. You're not doing one 35 day cruise, you're doing five 7-day cruises. Take enough clothes for 7 days and wear them five times. Or enough for 10 days and wear them 3 times plus extra. At home, over 35 days, would you really wear 35 completely different outfits? I certainly could do it, but they all wouldn't be my faves. I'd rather repeat a favourite outfit three times than drag along one beloved outfit and two only okay ones. Doing laundry takes no time at all, especially on turn-around day when the ship is deserted.

That said, make sure you ask for the earliest disembarkation time, as a 10.30 flight is pushing it timewise. FLL is such a zoo anymore, and on Saturday, there was a bit of a wait for taxis; had I needed a van, I would have waited even longer. This was at a later disembarkation time.

Thank you. You are right. I will have to relook and try to take less.

Am I summing up your situation right?

- You need to put out your 4 bags the last night.

- Therefore, you cannot do walk off.

- The best you can hope for is the first group with luggage pickup in the terminal

- This will lead you to get off and pick up your luggage about 8am.

- You will need to find a porter to help with your luggage.

- You then need to find transport to the airport. Vehicle must be able to accommodate your baggage.

- At the airport, you will need a porter to help you get thru the process.

- Do you have Global Entry?

- If not you will be waiting awhile to get thru security.

- You will then need to get to your gate by 10:00am or so.

It sounds like you or your spouse is somewhat mobility challenged. If so, it sounds like you are not a favorite to make the flight. Can you change to a later flight?

I am a little concerned as we are disembarking on a Saturday and 6 ships will be in port that day, some big ones too. We usually do a shuttle service, but last year they left us high and dry at the pier and said they could not take us to the airport! That was after we paid the porter to move 4 large bags, 2 carry ons and a large dolphin we got to the area for van pickup! A very nice police man helped us by getting us a taxi large enough to fit our stuff due to the fact we were not able to manually move the bags ourselves. He saved us!

We have a 10:25 am flight this year. I was wondering how the taxi service works? We have never done that before. Where do you go for the taxi and are their taxi vehicles that are large enough to fit 4 big bags and 2 carry ons, 2 people or do you have to request. Is there a line for taxis and enough taxies. We will be doing 35 days b2b2b2b2b and that's why the bags!

Didn't know how walk off works. I supposed I could leave luggage bags behind if we had to and just use the older 2 bags.

We don't have an iPhone to use uber, just an older flip phone. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have including a REPUTABLE van company. Thanks.

Dress well, get a porter, tell the porter you need a big taxi, tip the porter well, he will take you to the front of the taxi line...

I am a little concerned as we are disembarking on a Saturday and 6 ships will be in port that day, some big ones too. We usually do a shuttle service, but last year they left us high and dry at the pier and said they could not take us to the airport! ...

We have a 10:25 am flight this year. I was wondering how the taxi service works? We have never done that before. Where do you go for the taxi and are their taxi vehicles that are large enough to fit 4 big bags and 2 carry ons, 2 people or do you have to request. Is there a line for taxis and enough taxies. We will be doing 35 days b2b2b2b2b and that's why the bags!

Didn't know how walk off works. I supposed I could leave luggage bags behind if we had to and just use the older 2 bags.

We don't have an iPhone to use uber, just an older flip phone. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have including a REPUTABLE van company. Thanks.

Walk off would not work for you as you would have to manage all your own bags.

We are starting to really love the EZCheck service - for $25 per person they will take our bags the night before and the next time we see them is at our home airport. Standard airline baggage rates apply, above that initial fee. Also the 50 lb weight limit is waived for these bags. The big thing is that we don't have to manhandle the bags through immigration, onto taxis, etc.

Another question - would it be possible on one of your home port days on the b2b2b2b... to offload some of your bags early? e.g. a taxi ride for the bag to an air freight service. Contact your airline for this possibility.

Walk off would not work for you as you would have to manage all your own bags.

We are starting to really love the EZCheck service - for $25 per person they will take our bags the night before and the next time we see them is at our home airport. Standard airline baggage rates apply, above that initial fee. Also the 50 lb weight limit is waived for these bags. The big thing is that we don't have to manhandle the bags through immigration, onto taxis, etc.

Another question - would it be possible on one of your home port days on the b2b2b2b... to offload some of your bags early? e.g. a taxi ride for the bag to an air freight service. Contact your airline for this possibility.

As mentioned earlier, EZCheck doesn't work, the OP has too early a flight.

All Princess ships have self laundry (washer and dryers) $ and laundry Princess does for you $.

Bring clothes that you can mix and match and less shoes. A lot of passengers are now wear less formal wear, men - shirts and tie, woman - black pants and fancy top.

I know I need to eliminate, but 50 lb is not much in a suitcase!

How much does your suitcase weigh when empty? Some of ours weighed about 15lbs, many weighed 11lbs. Got rid of those and got lighter luggage.

How much does your suitcase weigh when empty? Some of ours weighed about 15lbs, many weighed 11lbs. Got rid of those and got lighter luggage.

Yes, out friends have two older suitcases that weigh 14 or so pounds and 10-11 pounds. Can buy much lighter suitcases these days - not so indestructable mind you. They have a couple of those as well. We just recently bought a new lightweight larger check-in bag (great sale price @ Macy's) for our upcoming cruise as I think we need more than two carry-ons. Taking a lot of extra items along that we want to have.

There were no lines and plenty of taxis.

We have never ever had an issue getting a taxi at terminal 2 but when we arrived at terminal 21 in November we disembarked late because we weren't in a hurry. That was a good thing since the taxi line took 45 minutes! There were 5 or 6 ships in port and driving into the port taxis pass a number of other terminals before they get to terminal 21. If they have short lines, they stop before terminal 21. Even the police officer posted at the taxi line was on his radio telling someone to send taxis to terminal 21!

Yes, out friends have two older suitcases that weigh 14 or so pounds and 10-11 pounds. Can buy much lighter suitcases these days - not so indestructable mind you. They have a couple of those as well. We just recently bought a new lightweight larger check-in bag (great sale price @ Macy's) for our upcoming cruise as I think we need more than two carry-ons. Taking a lot of extra items along that we want to have.

We’ve use IT Bags. Our Megalite traveled LAX-FCO-LAX many times. Only issue has been a ground down wheel. It ground down when dragged by someone not realizing the wheel was stuck when our DD was emergency evacuated. The bag part held up. Our replacement bag has a double wheel configuration. Hopefully it won’t get stuck.

Am I summing up your situation right?

- You need to put out your 4 bags the last night.

- Therefore, you cannot do walk off.

- The best you can hope for is the first group with luggage pickup in the terminal

- This will lead you to get off and pick up your luggage about 8am.

- You will need to find a porter to help with your luggage.

- You then need to find transport to the airport. Vehicle must be able to accommodate your baggage.

- At the airport, you will need a porter to help you get thru the process.

- Do you have Global Entry?

- If not you will be waiting awhile to get thru security.

- You will then need to get to your gate by 10:00am or so.

It sounds like you or your spouse is somewhat mobility challenged. If so, it sounds like you are not a favorite to make the flight. Can you change to a later flight?

We are doing Southwest and want a direct flight home as we have to drive once we get to PIT to our home which can be rough in bad weather. I thought have to get to gate 10 minutes before.

If we took our extra toiletries, etc. I could leave 2 luggage bags behind that would have those items in there. We always leave any extra toiletries behind anyways. I was going to get rid of those 2 bags anyways as they don't have 360 degree wheels on them. I am sure the room steward would find someone for them as they are still in great shape. Then we could do walk off with each of us a carry on and each a bag, taking the elevator of course. I didn't sign up for global entry. I should have, time got away from us. I wonder if when we are there doing 5 b2bs if we could sign up there at the port? HMMMMM

We aren't physically mobility challenged, but my DH had neck cancer 2 years ago and requires special mouth wash, tooth paste, rinses, lots of pills, etc., things that I cannot get at Walgreens. Our one carryon last year had all his pills/vitamins in there. We had a note from our doc so as there were a lot of pills and we did get checked. We had all our info from doctor so we were OK to go. I hate not to take something and he will need it, especially now. By the way he is taking about 18 books with him, hard cover, he won't use the ipad book reader, he likes the pages!! It makes him happy and that is the only time he gets to read so I don't mind. He will just have to leave them behind for other passengers to read rather than bring them back for his friends.

I am determined to reduce stuff though, but like the one year I only packed 3 shorts for him and the zipper broke on one pair. We hate to request same day or next day laundry, even though we will be in a suite and you can. I don't like to take advantage of it.

We hate to request same day or next day laundry, even though we will be in a suite and you can. I don't like to take advantage of it.

Why not? You are paying for it, so you are not taking advantage of anything.

I don’t have a good answer that hasn’t been mentioned by anyone else.

I am curious though how you would leave 2 suitcases behind. What will have happened to what you brought in them? I understand leaving behind books you’ve read (bring paperbacks if possible!) but that’s not 2 suitcases worth, is it? Even 35 days of toiletries doesn’t take up a whole suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not? You are paying for it, so you are not taking advantage of anything.

Totally agree. It is the key to long cruises without taking a truck load of clothes. DW has loved every long cruise because of free laundry. We have gone 26 days with one checked bag (51 pounds) and two carryons.

I am a little concerned as we are disembarking on a Saturday and 6 ships will be in port that day, some big ones too. We usually do a shuttle service, but last year they left us high and dry at the pier and said they could not take us to the airport! That was after we paid the porter to move 4 large bags, 2 carry ons and a large dolphin we got to the area for van pickup! A very nice police man helped us by getting us a taxi large enough to fit our stuff due to the fact we were not able to manually move the bags ourselves. He saved us!

What port????????????

Oh MY! I can’t imagine hauling that much luggage! You are overpacking. Take less and make your life easier. That is way too much! We have a 24 day coming up and will take 2 bags (not big just regular size) and 2 carry ons plus my purse. That is for two adults. On a 10 day cruise that is coming up next week we will be taking for the two of us... 1 checked bag and 1 rolling carry on and my purse. We will have extra room.

OP is already cruising. Too late to pack less.

OP is already cruising. Too late to pack less.

Mea Culpa. Went back and reread OP's. Disembarking on a Saturday, not Saturday. So, yes, all the advice to pare down the luggage is relevant.