Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

Zqueeze1 (Roberto & Pam); finally caught up with Olga in the star lounge early last eve, she had a very bright smile when I passed your warm regards along and said, “hugs, hugs, hugs”. Also, gave your regards to Donald tho no hugs were offered he also smiled.

Mudhen/Linda. You’re welcome, absolutely Ied has a terrific smile and loves his team’s housecleaning work

Good Morning from the Chiliean Fjords as we continue to cruise southern South America.

Today the Regent Seven Seas Mariner will explore the natural scenery and wildlife of this region. Weather permitting we hope to sail the Peel Sound & view the Amalia (skua) glacier. This is a tidewater glacier and is located in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park on the edge of the Sarmiento Channel. We will also view (hopefully) other imposing volcanic peaks (Monte Joy, Sainte Anne).

We have another day at sea as we head to our next port of call, Punta Arenas arriving Sunday.

Today’s activities include commentary from our outstanding enrichment lecturer, Terry Breen as we continue sailing through the Chiliean Fjords enroute to Punta Arenas.

We have an enrichment lecture: How South America became home to some of the most notorious war criminals by Adam Tanner. The Regent Seven Seas Mariner entertainment team will host a variety of games that Ida enjoys (e.g., darts, bocce ball, roll-a-ball and shuffle board). In the afternoon our ballroom class is the Waltz. We then have “the poetry of Chile” with guest artist Viviana Guzman.

Later in the afternoon, as the Mariner enters the Smith Channel and shovel pass we will view the shipwrecked SS Santa Leonor on our portside. She came to peril in the pass on March 31, 1968

Tonight we have cabaret dancing with vocalist Tom Stephenson accompanied by the Regent Signature Orchestra enjoying hits by Stevie Wonder, Elton John and Queen.

Please enjoy a few photos from last night’s delish Italian dinner at Setti Mari (Seven Seas) on board the Mariner.

Please enjoy a few photos from dinner:

ed80b95680d74e202249fdef9fc880ca.jpg

d77b3f5714ef564901f8023a6d0ed7f3.jpg

e4450fbb2724c8eaf61cfe03b0213bca.jpg

e6875ee22c056854e84ca14c9940fbcc.jpg

fed938fbd579623f30624070ed16107b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

We are a day away from arriving in our next port of call on board Regent Seven Seas Mariner. In the meantime let’s meet another behind the scenes crew hero, Sara Santana the Pasty Sous chef on board.

We profile these Mariner behind the scenes (below the passenger decks) crew that generally do not get told Thank you by the guests to say Thank you. We also enjoy sharing these profiles (providing the crew member friends us) with their family and friends back at their home.

Sara hails from Santiago, Chile.

Sara began with Regent in 2011. Mariner is her favorite ship as Sara says it best, “there is something charming about the layout of the Mariner.” Side note—both Ida and I completely agree the Mariner is so charming (public spaces much larger and more comfortable than the Voyager and Navigator.

Sara is the Sous Chef Pastry, she enjoys making souffle’s the most (e.g., Grand Mariner, hazelnut, chocolate, pistachio, passion fruit, salzburger). Sara studied gastronomy in Chile and specialized in pastry. Sara also has made St. Honore cake (will ask for a special order). Sara finds that her most challenging pastry, Venezuela’s chocolate mousse. In order to make this delish desert there is four phases of preparation to make this sweet wonder.

Ida and I can attest to Sara’s outstanding pastry making skills having had numerous delish deserts made by her at dinner in the Mariner’s main restaurant, Compass Rose. As General Manager, Michael Coghlan says she is a true shining star for the Regent Galley team.

Looking forward to placing a special order for Sara’s Venezuela chocolate mousse.

Sara loves working on Regent due to the wonderful crew (friendly, hard working, diverse—come from different countries) to serve Regent guests.

Sara’s favorite chef and pastry chef to serve in the Galley with is “all of them.”

When Sara finishes this contract (six month period of work) she will travel home to Chiloe Island, Chile to spend time with her mother.

Ida and I and we’re sure the near 700 Mariner guests send a sincere “Thank You” to Sara for making our taste buds scream with delight during our desert course at dinner.

7eb061d8ffeb52b59d7999fbd0b0fbd4.jpg

6e5c14999d1e4ba2d3ebf56c0103b1a8.jpg

6155ffd28f943c28dd000239a59cce51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wes, we continue to enjoy your wonderful photos and commentary. I had been wondering what activities would be available during our sea days in the crossing, but sounds as if there will be plenty of opportunities available to pass the time in interesting and enjoyable fashion!

I also am very appreciative of your spotlighting the behind the scenes crew members. Such hard working people! You have motivated me to initiate something similar in my company, that aims to provide some (much deserved) recognition to our hard working hourly employees. Thanks for the idea!

Wes, you and Ida both look so lovely during your dinners! Even after your long days!

I too like to do a long work out in the mornings. I found the gym on the Mariner a bit small and often crowded even during early times. I missed out on classes too because they did not have instructors on board when we sailed.

Sounds like you are really soaking it all up.

Eagleslover/Sharonyou’re very welcome...we were on the Tokyo to Shanghai cruise (along with RachelG and Mr. Rumor) but changed to The Circumnavigation of Australia on the Mariner this December. We will look forward to cruising with y’all hopefully soon. And we will root for the Eagles in the Super Bowl—have to find out the plans to show this game here on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see the sentiment - FLY EAGLES FLY!!! I had an Eagle fly in front of my car this afternoon - a good omen, I hope! Philly guy living in FL

And really enjoying your photos & report.

Thanks Focused1 and Carnevale for your thoughtful compliments. Carnevale, Regent’s block party is an event designed for guests to meet their neighbors while waiting for the ship’s leadership to come running by and welcoming each guest. Generally, you step outside your suite about 6pm and meet your suite next door neighbors as your room stewards/stewardesses pour champagne or wine. The cruise director rings a bell on the bridge signaling that the party has started as the Captain, GM, and CD begin running from the top of the ship’s passenger decks to the last pax deck. They introduce themselves, shake hands and continue until they have met everyone on the cruise. A wonderful tradition started almost ten years ago by then Captain Dag, and World Cruise CD, Jaimie Logan.

Today we are in Chile visiting our first port, Iquique. Ida and I will do the city highlights tour this afternoon. Tonight we have our first production show, Tuxedo starring the Mariner production cast featuring a fresh take on the music of the Rat Pack (tony Bennett, Natalie cole, Frank as well as contemporary artists (Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr., and even Stan Smith.

Also, at yesterday’s wine tasting signed up for the connoisseurs wine lunch being held February 2nd. Wines that will be featured and food pairings are shown below:

8a17e0a5066aba94ffce623a216f1054.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes,

Thank you for taking us along and giving us so much insight. We have cruised many times, across many lines but this fall will be our first time on Regent and the Mariner. I have never heard of the block party before what a really neat concept!

Wendy

Gjkov; you’re welcome, and thank you now for also beginning to recognize your hard working teammates at your company.

Mudhen; the behind the scenes crew heroes beaming smiles reflect a happpy/content Mariner crew.

LynnRuns; your kind complements have us blushing, thank you. We both enjoy working out on board and love that the Mariner has spin bikes too. Tho prefer running on the Voyager (almost full promenade running/walking track) the Mariner’s track ends with railings right at the near end of the observation lounge.

Gwesq—we’re flying with your eagles too and Ida is hoping for many Brady Sacks :)

Zoey1; you’re very welcome, our pleasure to share our Mariner experience with you—your comments help spur us on. Yes, the block party is fun and a good way to meet your suite neighbors.

Keith1010; Thank you so much Keith, we’re happy to have you cruising vicariously along with us.

Bennybear; you’re welcome. Diamonx worked perfectly well for us tho sparkling water did not taste good. Amarone is our go to Italian fine wine tho wish Sassacaia was priced similarly.

Good early morning from Punta Arenas Chile our next port of call while on board Regent’s Seven Seas Mariner.

Punta Arenas is nestled at the tip of Chile’s southern most Patagonia region. It is also the capital of the region and often the port used for excursions to Antarctica. This city has been nickname the “the city of the red roofs” for the red painted metal roofs that have characterized the city for many years.

Today guests have a variety of ship’s excursions to select from: visit to a penguin reserve, visit to an Estancia, kayaking, or Punta Arenas highlights.

The Mariner’s leadership is planning a very nice celebration and showing the the Super Bowl. One side of La Veranda will be a Tailgate buffet, then there will be a pre match build up shown in the constellation theater. The game will be shown at 8:30pm.

As an option there will be a super bowl free zone in the Horizon Lounge tonight as it is county dance night.

Ida and I enjoyed yet another delicious dinner in the Mariner’s main restaurant, Compass Rose last night. We both enjoyed an outstanding cheese soufflé (made by Pastry sous chef Sara who we profiled earlier). We enjoyed a stuffed (italian sausage and pine nuts) pork loan paired with a full bodied Australian Shiraz. Desert was a much too good Peanut Butter mouse kit kat—we shared this treat.

f123deb69a40992261630b20f9a7b38b.jpg

e20c7d61d3429f77066f268c20322cfe.jpg

916cfe73671cfb1e11467053cf223472.jpg

cfed4f69ede8f326f3d3c240fa0c935b.jpg

Edited by WesW

We had been docked since around 5 am. Very early tours, I decided I had needed a break. Going out on my own to walk around town in the weather, not sure why but we are hitting the dock or could be windy. Feels like the middle if ocean during a storm.

The town looks lovely. Going to finally wear layers and try to see anything.

Football gen will be a rough ride tonight,

Go,Pats

Gilly; pls see our first snap below—u bet we sought good fortune and touched Magellan’s toes.

Ellbon/Robin; hope u enjoyed your town tour, but have to add Fly Eagles Fly!

tallship; your welcome—nice to see you here Tina.

Fascinating morning ship’s excursion here in Punta Arenas, Chile. Our first stop was Museo del Recuerdo. This museum of memories on the grounds of the Patagonian institute. This open air museum has antique trains, cars, machinery and relics of the early European settlers in this remote part of the world. The first set of photos reflects this unique open air walk through Punta Arenas history.

Our next stop was a visit to one of BBC’s ten most beautiful cemeteries in the world. The Sara Braun cemetery did indeed live up to its ranking (reminded us of the Recoleta cemetary in Buenos Aires (we arrive in BA on February 12).

We then visited the Naval Y Maritimo Museo containing a wealth of model ships and the rescue of Ernest Shackelton’s Antarctica expedition.

Next we visited the prime viewing spot in Punta Arenas, alas this rainy/hazy day made the view less breathtaking than it otherwise would have been. You can see our ship RegentSeven Seas Mariner in the background.

Our final stop was Punta Arenas’s main place “Munoz Gamero” where the principal attraction is the monument to Ferdinand Magellan. Tradition beacons visitors (for good luck)to kiss or touch Magellan’s toes. Ida and I endeavor to always find good fortune so we touched Magellan’s toes.

Please enjoy these Punta Arenas photos:

e5790a2b5b5370c358ca3918c1bb0dec.jpg

a2ff22171dcf6ff364cd84d95666504a.jpg

2edd2275324da0addac7bff6cff95ced.jpg

81680df0ad7bb5c4894f0ed57915618a.jpg

d966b6a7bb6ff7ee28905b2172fe8b37.jpg

448797d3ced32213c3ba282e3e2bbdd2.jpg

Wes just reiterating other posters in saying you and Ida put so much energy and enthusiasm into your cruise and this reflects in our enjoyment reading your daily posts.

A lovely friendly known face I Kadek pouring your evening wine. Please pass on our regards to him and if it’s not too imposing to Eric Mordeno who is also a wine waiter, from Jean and Bill ( Scotland).

Thanks so much Wes, looking forward to your next posts and photographs. Jean.

Hi Jean, u made I Kadek’s day (he is right now finishing pouring our Two Hands Shiraz), he is beaming that you remembered him and sends his warmest regards back.

Thanks so much Wes. Am glad he remembered us too. They see so many guests, and they are always so respectful to us all. Hope you are able to pass our good wishes to Eric too.

Bill always worries that the wine sommeliers always remember us? ;) . Cheers, Jean.

Hey, I'll bet Magellan was rather glad you paid him a visit too ;-) I'm pleased you enjoyed your day even if the weather doesn't look like it was being so kind. Punta Arenas is a grand little town though, isn't it? (I don't intend that to sound quite as patronising as it might come across, I hasten to add!) I'm a fan - of Sara Braun too: sounds like she was a pretty formidable woman!

Wes

I walked crom ship to the church

Then to the veiwing area. From there to an historial home.

Fast snack at a chocolate resturant

Then walked RT to the same lovely cermentary

So i got in my miles today

Then spent some of my local money

One museum you did i would like but not other

Oh our daily papers said cathethal closed not true

Best day

Now for dinner and game

Pats

Yes Gilly, Magellan was a happy camper that we visited, Ida even gave him a pedicure and polish :)

Robin, good for your getting a good walking tour of lovely Punta Arenas. Absolutely, experiencing this prolonged Code Red is disappointing but it is what it is and the crew is working hard to help us get out of this CDC prescribed protocol.

Good morning from Regent Seven seas Mariner as we head to our first Argentinian Port, Ushuaia.

Beginning in about an hour, the Mariner’s superb enrichment lecturer, Terry Breen will provide seasoned commentary as we transit the Beagle Channel and we pass the Avenue of Glaciers which extend down the Darwin Mountain range on the island of Tierra del Frego.

In the early afternoon, we will enjoy a three hour trekking/hiking adventure on “Tierra Major.”

Look forward to sharing photos later.