Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

Wes and Ida you are in one of our favorite parts of the world. Am loving your photos and commentary. I can almost smell the crisp air. Also enjoy watching you two have the experiences you are having.

If you visit the Penguins in the Falkland Islands make sure to wear sturdy shoes and be prepared for a major cleanup job when you get back to the ship.

Keep enjoying!

Ann and Shel

Briar14; thank you, according to one of our excursion guides yesterday, he expects some of the glaciers to retreat within 30 years.

Gilly—yesterday morning about 6:15a.m. During sunrise comments Terry Breen said the morning sailing into Beagle sound was one of the most extraordinary good days of weather she has experienced. Glad you’re enjoying our pix.

Eager2Travel/Ann & Shel; thanks for your kind words—the air was so pure and refreshing—hiking yesterday was a joy as you will see in some of our snaps below. Thanks for the shoes tips—will see if we can rent rubber boots for our blue cover penguin excursion.

Forgap/Jennifer—thanks so much know how much Georges and you are enjoying your Asia Voyage now on board the Voyager and your posts/pix are exceptionally well done. And it takes a role model to know one :)

Good Morning from Regent Seven Seas Mariner as we are enroute (arriving tomorrow)to our next port of call, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. Penguins—woohoo!

Yesterday, we enjoyed about a 5 mile hike in the mountains near Ushuaia, Argentina. This hiking excursion was one of the best yet we have enjoyed in our cruise travels—even topping hiking Mt. Kierservarden, in Bode Norway last July.

Please enjoy some photos taken yesterday and some snaps from our delish (Oslo bucco) dinner/wine last nite.

Today is a seaday that is full of fun activities from enrichment lecturers by Terry Breen (Shackleton: Story of Survival) and Adam Tanner “South America as portrayed by Hollywood and local film.” Ida will enjoy games competing with fellow Mariner guests. We have a Greek lunch prepared by the Mariner galley team as one of the lunch offerings. Ballroom dance class is Foxtrot basics. Jeff Nease is feature entertainer from Comedty Central and we have name that tune to enjoy

056fb0c0f56528a528b0095ec2f66a20.jpg

c881062a547e1502d4e8df24ceb37628.jpg

60bed75a3548127d223c5b49b243ebe2.jpg

d8448c4d6cb552ce139c83b5229fe78f.jpg

058674e5f87ec3622e0127e8090d819d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wes, went to Volunteer Point in the Falklands in late November and had on regular shoes and no poop issues. Watch your step and you will be fine. The penguins have their own area and people need to keep away from them. We were able to get within about 10 feet but, for the most part, they went their way and we went our way. Must have been many thousands of those interesting birds.

Spinnaker2/Candy & Larry; wonderful to see your posting here and thanks very much. Ida and I are having a blast. Am now interviewing Mariner’s 17 year fitter and found out he has two sons working on Regent. Now, this is fun!

Rachel; thought of both of you yesterday knowing u would relish the hike. Beagle channel was beautiful but windy and cold too. And most importantly did not fall and break my nose like last July on Silversea in Norway. Btw, we had NJbelle (Dr. Janice and Dr. Eric ) with us on this hike too

Dave; thanks very much for penguin poop avoidance guidance we will watch our step.

Next up interview of Robert the Mariner’s Fitter—has been with Regent for 17 years.

Flash, we can’t make the Falklands due to weather (swell) instead we will go to Puerto Madrid, Argentina. Disappointed we will miss the Falklands but understand crew/passenger safety is priority one.

Oh shame :(...Wes, I was looking forward to making it to the Falklands this time with you and Ida, as we also missed out due to the weather. Good to know "we" get another port instead, though! :cool:

I have to agree with another poster on another thread (sounds like another suitcase in another hall...<g>) I love the way you and Ida rise above all the "stuff" that's on board Mariner right now, especially having been there, done that ourselves. Regular Regent people recognise that this is not at all comparable to "normal" Regent standards and know how hard the crew are working to resolve it - thank you for profiling these people and giving them a chance to shine. Nevertheless it's disappointing and one simply has to go with the flow and play a part - however small - in minimising this horrible situation whilst not forgetting to have a great time!

I think (hope!) you are?! ;)

Am excited to share a double header interview with behind the scenes Mariner crew who are vital to our enjoyment of our cruise. These behind the scene crew heroes do not get told Thank you by the guests, as they generally work below decks. For the first time in half dozen years I met a father and son on board as members of this outstanding Mariner crew.

Let’s first meet Robert Landrito who hails from Laguna, Phillliines. Robert is married to Jody, they have six wonderful children (ages22 to 38). Remarkably, two sons work on Regent, one in deck department here on Mariner and one in Voyager.

Robert has been with Regent since 2001, and has earned four times employee of the month. Robert says Regent is a very good company which is why he has worked here for almost two decades. He recommended Regent for his sons as employment—what a very powerful testimonial for the Regent Seven Seas brand among its crew.

Robert serves in Engine Department as a Fitter. As s Fitter, his principal duties include welding, dismantles and assembling critical engine repair parts and plumbing duties. Often he has to made repairs in the Mariner workshop.

Robert enjoys welding as his favorite fitter duty and on occasion he replaces fuel pumps and broken pipes.

When I asked Robert what his most difficult task was as a Fitter, he told me last week we had a pipe broken in the boiler but difficult to fix because pipe was submersed in water. He spent almost six hours from 8:30pm to 1:45 a.m.

Now, let’s meet Robert’s son who works in the Mariner Deck Department

Jun Jun Landrito, also hails from Laguna Phillipines. Jun Jun is married to Iby and he has three children (7, daughter, son 6, boy 18 months)

Jun Jun has been with Regent since 2013. Jun Jun tells me he Started to work with Regent because of his father.

He loves serving on the Mariner’s Deck Department (washing deck, mooring and tender operations)

Jun Jun tells me his most difficult task is mooring Operations tiring the Mariner’s mooring rope to the respective dock we are at.

What is so special about this interview is finding a father and son who work on Regent. Bravo Robert and Jun Jun and Regent for cultivating a work environment that makes this happen.

First photo shows (Robert, (left) Jun, Jun) right.

2350ee015543c6974753c6920bac62e6.jpg

a5f3450f2e0cf7a4e4d9611bed033ee7.jpg

We have enjoyed all of the scenic photos very much, but I think my favorite part of your blog is having a chance to "meet" these great behind the scenes people! We normally don't get a chance to do that! Thank you again for taking the time to do this!

Linda

With the changes in ports I know longer have to worry about the open sea and motion as we are missing the storm. Once was enough several years ago.

Also looking forward to a new port of call. Nit been and I love city life so I am sure I will enjoy walking around town and having lunch out,

Wes, I'm enjoying your pictures and commentaries. We will be doing this cruise in February 2019 on the Explorer. We will travel south (Buenos Aires to Santiago) instead of north. I'm paying attention to clothes for cool weather, ports/tours/ and enjoying the nice pictures. The behind the scenes commentaries are excellent. How nice you have taken the time to interview crew members we never see. Every time we come back is seeing our second family. Thanks again and continue to enjoy the cruise.

forevertravel:)

Sorry for harping on here but i would just like to say that i have been going through a personal journey myself of late and am appreciating all the blogs, comments, photos and interesting facts about the staff that we don't see, it is making me smile.

I will sit back now and read all the wonderful threads and thanks again.

Pam.

Wes - read on another thread that Code Red is likely going to end tomorrow (February 7th). Kindly let us know if this finally occurs so we can all cheer. The boards are going crazy (literally) with information and misinformation about what is happening onboard the Mariner. It would be great is your last week onboard could be Code Red free:D

Well I had real butter dish tonight and we could share the butter. Yes in specialities but had fake butter Pats the other night.

Lifting slowly starting tomorrow. The crew are tired from cleaning the bar top and chairs. I just want the damn bathroom doors closed.

Well I had real butter dish tonight and we could share the butter. Yes in specialities but had fake butter Pats the other night.

Lifting slowly starting tomorrow. The crew are tired from cleaning the bar top and chairs. I just want the damn bathroom doors closed.

Well if you close off the bathroom doors, what are people supposed to do? :eek: I think we are all potty trained. Maybe instead of fashion police we should have hygiene police.

Mudhen, 1982CruzStart, Forevertravel, Briar14, Flossie009, Gilly; we are very happy you are enjoying meeting the behind the scenes heroes of the Mariner crew—sincerely our pleasure and fun to share.

Pamela1; happy to share our blog with you and glad to hear you’re enjoying our musings and crew profiles too—you’re welcome.

TC/Jackie, as Ellbon notes above we should be scaling back our Code Red restrictions this morning (tho at 4:30 am the self service coffee machines were still off limits to guest use). We have suggested to Paul to have a coming out of Code Red party where all guests get a chance to applaud the hard working (esp housekeeping staff) Mariner crew to help us get out of CR jail.

We are enroute to our next port of call Puerto Madryn, Argentina and should arrive tomorrow morning.

Last nite we enjoyed drinks with Didier and Susie friends we met at the Sanctuary Lodge in Machu Picchu and have spent many nites enjoying drinks and dinner together. Please see photo below of us enjoying pre dinner cocktails. Sara Santana the Pastry Sous Chef surprised us last nite with her very special and oh so delicious Venezuelan chocolate (takes four stages of preparation to make) Mousse cake.

Ida then spent another late nite in the Mariner Lounge dancing the nite away (photo below). Thanks to Guistot for sharing this photo of Ida.

Today is another relaxing sea day on board Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

We have enrichment lectures (Terry Breen: Argentina Land of the Gaucho, this morning) then Adam Tanner: The Amazing Music of Latin Jazz and Bossa Nova, this afternoon. Lots of games are planned by the Mariner’s entertainment team (e.g., Ring Toss, Photo Scavenger hunt, Shufflegolf). We have Cha Cha as a Ballroom Basics dance afternoon and of course Trivia and Tea time in the late afternoon. At lunch Chef Kelly is presented us with Tex-Mex cuisine.

Tonight we have another Mariner Production cast show, “Blazing Boots”. This will be a Pop County Rock concert featuring music by such stars as Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Shania Twain and many others.

b4f435e8400a8759703ac9ee45dd2f08.jpg

f005bd9ab23be954f0d033757ecb80fd.jpg

a302adf942d892246d09dea92a5ea3a8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk