Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

Last night on deck 6 I could not find anything to wash or wipe hands with. Tonight I am carrying a plastic. Bag with wash clothes from cabin. I felt sonsiet not being able to dry my hands.

The sticky stuff on railings is needed but so sticky ? Never feel clean.

Hi Wes,

Enjoying your reports and pictures, thank you so much for taking the time! Wait till you get to the Chilean fjords, magnificent! That was my preferred part of this itinerary when we did it with Seabourn.

Wash your hands often , stay healthy and keep enjoying the cruise!

Alexandra Cruiser: spoke with GM Michael about the genesis of our Code Red yesterday afternoon. Michael tells me Code Red happens almost ever year on this segment, in his opinion due to visits to Machu Picchu. Once the patients (not with influenza, but g.i. Issues) get healthy we will scaled down gradually from Code Red.

Ellbon is right (and has NJbelle posted on a separate thread) the ships crew is constantly wiping public surfaces. Crew members are stationed at the entry of all restaurant venues asking guests to sanitize their hands. Public bathroom doors remain open not closed. Kudos to the extra hardworking crew who along with their regulars duties are now going above and beyond to help keep the Mariner clean. Speaking of the crew, today at 11 a.m will do another profile of behind the scenes Mariner crew (either the Deck washing crew or members of the officer’s mess).

Cruiseluv/Maria, Liptastic/Jean, irishwitchy/Cathy, Keith1010/Keith and Anne Marie; very happy you like our photos—thanks for your thoughtful words. And yes ma’am wine tasting excursions are fun..however as an aside. Since there is port drama here in Chile the Mariner now docks in San Antonio, Chile vs Valparaiso—meaning we spend about two hours each way driving. So for a near seven hour excursion we had about two hours on the ground. Dearly hope they are able to dock in Valparaiso for future Lima to Buenos Aires Segments.

Frankly, we would not do this excursion if we had the choice again. On the other hand if the ship was docked in Valparaiso this would have been a delightful excursion. We finished breakfast about 8:15 am (room service) and then did not have the excellent winery BBQ until 3pm....really just too late to have lunch.

Today is another welcome sea day again chock full of Mariner activities. We have more though provoking enrichment lectures that Terry Breen (getting us ready for the Chilean Fjords—(yes Maria, we also booked this segment for the visit to these fjords having enjoyed the Norwegian fjords last year). Terry’s lecture this morning, “Glaciers, Rivers of Ice,” will highlight these pristine geographical land features where the glaciers meet the sea. In the afternoon,Adam Tanner will present Nixon, the CIA and the Bloody Coup against Chile’s Allende.”

Late this morning we have a pastry chef demonstration Pastry Chef Istrael Nunez. Head Sommelier Allan is presenting another “Around the World Wine-tasting,” and thanks to two retired Navy veterans on board and Hailey of the entertainment team who helped coordinate. We are having a “Veterans Get Together” in the Observation Lounge. Ida and have meet at least half dozen Veterans thus far. Wear my “army retired cap” during excursions and many Vets come up introduce themselves and proudly let us know what service they have served in (US Air Force, US Navy, and US Army). Thanks Regent and Mariner for hosting this Veterans get together—last time Ida and I enjoyed this was on a WC Segment from Honk Kong to Bangkok where we went to numerous Vietnam ports. CD Jaimie and Dana organized this for the many Vietnam era vets and other veterans that were on board.

We have a Spanish BBQ offered at lunch(Paella anyone?) held at pool deck by Chef Kelly and the Galley team. Then in early afternoon we have Ballroom Basics where the entertainers will help teach guests the basics of the swing.

Throughout the day the Mariner entertainment team will host a variety of games the guests compete against the officers (e.g., shufflegolf, baggo, golf putting, roll-a-ball) Ida loves these games. Two days ago she won the baggo and gold putting events.

Tonight we have international entertainer David Pengelly who plays string instruments and will be accompanied by the Regent Orchestra. David is an entertainer, singer and humorist.

Ida and I hope to dine in Setti Mari tonight—very popular—went last night about 8:20pm and there was still a wait of thirty minutes for a table. Tonight when we go to the horizon lounge for drinks/dancing about 7:15-7:30pm I will head up to Setti Mari to put our names on the wait list. Hopefully by the 8pm (time we like to dine) we will have a table.

We were able to book an Alaska cruise on board yesterday with Matilda (cruise consultant on board). Love that we only have a $1000 deposit (really only $700 since we get a $200 travel credit with our Bank of America Visa travel card and we earned a $100 sbc (enjoyed a Coudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc last nite for dinner)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Alexandra Cruiser: spoke with GM Michael about the genesis of our Code Red yesterday afternoon. Michael tells me Code Red happens almost ever year on this segment, in his opinion due to visits to Machu Picchu. Once the patients (not with influenza, but g.i. Issues) get healthy we will scaled down gradually from Code Red.

Hmm. There was a code red last year's SA itinerary (2017) on Mariner, just before we arrived in Colombia, as I remember. I wonder whether there was another code red then, after Lima. In our case, it was sad, because the brand-new Explorer was right next to us in Cartagena, and we couldn't trade visits because of the situation. It was scaled back gradually as well.

Enjoying another sea day on board Regent Seven Seas Mariner enroute to our next port within the Chilean Fjords, Puerto Montt, Chile.

Behind the scenes profile of another exceptionally hard working Regent crew member. We profile these behind the scene crew members who don’t get told thank you by the guests, as our way to say Thank Your. They perform their cruise duties behind the scenes (i.e., usually below passenger decks) and are also instrumental in enhancing our cruise experience.

Today meet Reynaldo, Regent Mariner’s 2nd Boson.

Reynaldo hails from Batanga City, Philippines. He has been married for almost twelve years to Celeste and they have two boys ages 10 and 7. Reynaldo keeps in touch with his family vs skype and a SMS message service.

Reynaldo started his career six years ago in 2012. Regent Seven seas Mariner is his favorite ship to serve on. Reynaldo told me the Mariner is so beautiful, easily I love working on her.

As a 2nd Boson, Reynaldo’s primary duties include; general maintenance, painting, cleaning and washing the ship. Unique among Regent crew, when the officer on the bridge gives the order, Reynaldo drops the Mariner Anchor and also releases the Mariner’s heaven rope so she can be tied at the respective dock the Mariner is berthed at.

Reynaldo is often is located for his anchoring and berthing duties in the farthest forward position of the ship on deck six, this position is covered on the Mariner but not not on Regent’s Voyager where the crew are in the open decks performing these duties.

When asked what his most challenging duty was as 2nd Boson, without question, Reynaldo said “painting the ship” since this requires meticulous attention to detail.

As fellow guests now on board the Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Ida and I want to share a hearty Thank You to Reynaldo for helping us enjoy this voyage.

ba33593da962780f84261e2869b9d7ff.jpg

d9ccb6320bc4427e6ad768fc99c912db.jpg

6bbbbe31a3e3a78438f0db783d1050db.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After we met Reynaldo, 2nd Boson on Regent Seven Seas Mariner, we headed to the Observation Lounge on deck 12 for our Mariner Sponsored “Veterans get together.” The Regent Mariner daily newspaper, Passages says, “An opportunity to meet fellow Veterans, share stories, and sign the Regent Service Book.

As the photos show below, our Veteran’s get together was well attended we had 17 Veterans attend from Sergeant to Admiral. Rough estimate is we had 8 Navy veterans, 7 Army veterans, 1 Air Force Veteran and one Marine Veteran.

We began by introductions ourselves, and the service we served in. Soon, a lively pace of veteran stories were shared—from the WWII 93 year old veteran on board, to our one Korean War Veteran. Many of our Vietnam era Veterans shared their combat stories and how they recently went back to visit Vietnam (often on a Regent cruise). Gulf War stories were also shared.

Thank you Regent for having the Regent Service Book (did not know this existed) and thanks to the Mariner entertainment team for putting this Veterans gathering together.

652ef2c33a7f2846e36aa4cbe7cd6a74.jpg

1eb216d17d49f04aec5e38b816b1356c.jpg

7d75098f3c7c0e2635e6775640e890fb.jpg

b1ee1ac6dd15728b44034101056cefb9.jpg

f9e3bb18d595caa111e9318cf56534de.jpg

Ida and I enjoyed another delicious lunch in La Veranda highlighted with Chef Kelly’s Spanish BBQ. Paella was outstanding. Ida and I then headed for Stars lounge (horizon lounge was rocking a rolling) for Ballroom Basics Swing. Ellie and Kodi of the Entertainment team did an excellent job teaching a the basic swing step (both east coast and west coast) and sprinkling some nice variations in too. Pls see Snaps below.

7c1a5c527e7274f652426e8bce44a982.jpg

9d85a47476955c3c222c743a56b0a00d.jpg

While Wes and Ida are running thru the ship I had a quiet morning. Then a light lunch in the MDR. Now sitting in a bar using internet. Rarely works in cabin.

Tomorrow's port has some great places to eat. Hope after tour to enjoy lunch and walk around this lovely town.

I did a private tour yesterday and had lunch at 2. I have been to Chile before and was onky shown a tiny amount here. So looking forward to the rest.

Wes, thank you for making the comment about the ships port and where the excursion was. I have only taken a three other cruises and for the most part, the port was in the right spot already without a 1+ hour bus ride. Since I plan most of my land trips in great detail, this time I decided to go with the flow. However, this isn’t a great idea when many of the ports don’t have much going on and require major bus rides to something of interest.

That is why you travel - you always learn something new.

Wes: thanks for sharing with us your Veterans’ get together. I hope we can have one in our April Mariner cruise and get a chance to swap war stories and sign Regent’s Service Book. Thanks for the heads up.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iriswitchy you’re very welcome. Robin had the best approach for the port of San Antonio. Take a private tour

Zqueeze1 (Roberto and Pam) you’re also very welcome. Also hope y’all enjoy a Veterans get together on your Mariner voyage in April. Will do my best in communicating with Regents leadership to make Veterans get together a recurring event on each regent voyage like friends of Bill

Good Morning from Puerto Montt, Chile.

Puerto Montt is the largest Chilean City south of Santiago. Due to a large German community that lives in Puerto Montt there is a Bavarian cast to some of the homes in this Southern City. This area is known for its rugged beauty and beautiful lakes.

Regent Seven Seas Mariner has a variety of excursions in this city including river rafting on the Petrohue river, visiting the Osborne Volcano, and a trip to Petrohue falls. Ida and I will enjoy horse back riding in this beautiful southern Chilean City.

Last night the Mariner was rocking and rolling in 3-4 meter (8-10ft) swells with high winds. Many guests remained in their suites for dinner, visibly identified with their “privacy” cards hanging on their suite doors.

Ida and I enjoyed dining in Setti Mari (Seven Seas), the Italian Restaurant on board. Setti Mari’s chef, Christopher came by our table to say hello (photo below) and after discussing dining options we chose the veal Saltimbucca paired with a Tomassi Amarone.

Tonight we have our second production show to enjoy presented by the mariner’s entertainers

846798e648b43e2733d662c1ca97aae2.jpg

790dc0734f972cbed1022a0bfbba1941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night the Mariner was rocking and rolling in 3-4 meter (8-10ft) swells with high winds. Many guests remained in their suites for dinner, visibly identified with their “privacy” cards hanging on their suite doors. Quote

Loving your posts Wes. A slight correction to the sea swells, 3-4 meters would be 9-13 ft or 8-10 ft would be 2.5-3.5 meters. Assume the ship announces in meters and you converted. Just wanted people in the US not used to the metric system knew the seas were up to 13 ft. and not 10 ft.

Hope you get into the Falklands and of Noro or whatever Gastro problems on the ship. You and Ida have a wonderful day and rest of your cruise.

Thanks so much for your kind words RallyDave/Dave and spinnaker2/Candy. Candy nice to see you on the Regent board now we need to see you on a Regent ship in addition to a Silverseas Ship [emoji4]

Ida and I enjoyed a uniquely different ship’s excursion today in Chile. We were ready for a change of visual pace from vibrant South America market places and iconic plazas. Today we enjoyed time in verdant woods with animals and majestic scenery captivating us as we rode.

We thoroughly enjoyed horseback riding in gorgeous woods, with horses and cattle grazing and two massive volcanos in the background. Please enjoy a few snaps

0fe0ee984b476665f1734b2c0ab8252c.jpg

45d796d9b630ecce9db7d0e2024d5aa6.jpg

781d954200b703a7ec95020e52b3a239.jpg

c476edf5205e906b562fc7b12a01db93.jpg

7d56d023d747e6a868483e88afbbdd80.jpg

dce31bb7b9d49fc90d72cd4542af2d86.jpg

Edited by WesW

Yes, Travelcat/Jackie our code Red is a challenge but as has been said in Dr. Janice’s/NJBelle’s Code Red on the Mariner thread it is inconvenient (no coffee connection self serve items available, no salt/pepper shakers on tables, not being able to do laundry, no gym towels in fitness facility, et. Al) but not a spoiler. Talked with Marq/Marc and ellbon/Robin last night in the Horizon Lounge. Marc told me he had heard we were close to scaling back Code Red yesterday but another guest turned themselves in to the medical center for GI issues.

We are now sailing the Chilean Fjords!

Good morning from (almost there) Puerto Chacabuco, Chile. “Located at the head to the beautiful Aysen Fjord—this small industrial port’s greatest attraction.” You get a double tap (of visual beauty) here with views of the majestic Andes Mountains and this stunning Aysen Fjord. This town is named after a major 1817 conflict during the Chilean independence War, the battle of Chacabuco.

The Aysen fjord was formed when the area’s glacial valley filled with seawater. Like the other Chilean fjords, the surrounding landmass is fringed with skerries, rocky islands and stand stone sentinels that have challenged mariners for centuries.

We have another robust day of ship’s activities on Regent Seven Seas Mariner. Our morning begins shortly after breakfast with Scenic Sailing commentary by outstanding Terry Breen—our on board enrichment lecturer.

We arrive in Puerto Chacabuco about 11 a.m. In the meantime Wes begins with a 5:45 am workout in the fitness room on the elliptical (90 Min and then 30 min on the spin bike)—have to earn that wine and to be able to share one of the fabulous deserts on board at dinner. Ida most likely will take the fitness instructor’s fabulous ABS class.

After lunch Ida and I will enjoy “A glimpse of Patagonian nature.” Other ships’s excursions include: Kayaking on Lake los Paulo’s, Highlights of Chacabuco, Cohhalque and Simpson valley, and an adventure to Deer Island.

We have a Horizon Lounge dance party (dancing to disco hits of 80’s and 90’s) tonight

Plan to share photos of this beautiful port in the next post.

We entered the very narrow and very deep (about 620ft below the Regent Seven Seas Mariner ‘s Keel) Aysen fjord about 9:15a.m. As we cruised up the Aysen fjord Terry Breen let us know Chile experienced a powerful earthquake in 2005. She pointed out on our port side portions of the fjord’s mountains landmass collapsed and fell into the sea.

Tho it was cloudy as we entered the fjord, there were spots where the sun peaked through and you could begin to appreciate the beauty of this visually appealing fjord. Please see photos below.

Both on port and starboard Sides we can see how the fjord’s. Landmasses were formed when the glacier ice melted, leaving huge gaps and rock formations that the Aysen fjord is renown for.

Finally, as we proceed towards the end of the Aysen fjord we spot Chacabuco and some salmon farms that dot the sides of this fjord.

Darn, just learned that our wine lunch only had 8 guests sign up, we needed 12 to proceed, now it is canceled.

Please enjoy some snaps of our cruising in the Aysen fjord:

2621f9f5389b92a11ece669ce31235be.jpg

5db084b19a926a401ce2b614b876c9d0.jpg

bee37eff6db13c2d480893e4d0d97114.jpg

38487c7532ca464a9a8cc8c80449b71f.jpg

iSent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Wes

You are having much better luck

At posting

Can use phone but not ipad again

My day yesterday was the falls and another town

Walked Porto Mott later

Saw seals and birds plus the fish market

Today a short walk about 2K

So going to dress for town and walk

Ship says it takes 2 hours

I guess if you crawl

Wes very proud of your gym time

Hate treadmills and that room is dark

Use to windows

Off to charge phone

Then get ready for tour

Wes and Ida really enjoying all your reports and photos. You are having a great time it shows in your photos. Love the sound of the horizon Lounge disco tonight, we would be joining you on the dance floor for sure.

Thanks for taking us all along. Jean.

Wes

Really enjoying your posts and your photos.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures.

I saw on the roll call that we are cruising together in March 2019 Shanghai to Tokyo. Look forward to meeting you and Ida.

Sharon

Wendy, thanks for your kind sentiment—Ida and I both enjoy working out as this helps us enjoy more the Regent cuisine and adult beverages. Normal routine for me is about 90 min on the elliptical or spin bike in early a.m., than another hour between 6-7pm on the spin bike as most guest are dressing for dinner. Ida especially enjoys the fitness director led classes (fantastic abs, Pilates) and we both take spin classes when offered (mostly during seadays)

Liptastic/jean; thanks Jean...we did have a great time as did a bout 40 regent guests putting our disco fever on in the Horizon Lounge last nite.

Eagleslover/Sharonyou’re very welcome...we were on the Tokyo to Shanghai cruise (along with RachelG and Mr. Rumor) but changed to The Circumnavigation of Australia on the Mariner this December. We will look forward to cruising with y’all hopefully soon. And we will root for the Eagles in the Super Bowl—have to find out the plans to show this game here on board.

Good Morning as we cruise towards our next port of call on Regent’s Seven Seas Mariner. We will have Two days at sea as we sailed last night from the very beautiful port of Puerto Chacabuco at the end of the Aysen Fjord.

Yesterday afternoon we enjoyed another terrific ship’s excursion, “A Glimpse of Patagonia.” We enjoyed Parque Aiken del Sur. This gorgeous park is unique and full of natural richness, is located on a long leafy shore on the Riesco Lake. The park is surrounded by a dense wooded setting with natural grassland and shrubs. We also enjoyed a large variety of ferns, mosses and a variety of fauna.

We ended our excursion at the “Quinco” that had a central fireplace with a typical Patagonian BBQ cooking (roast lamb). We got to taste numerous Pisco sours and a nice selection of Chilean wines while being entertained by a local folkloric dance group.

Later Ida and I headed to Horizon Lounge and linked up with new cruise friends Dieder and Susie for cocktails before heading to the ship’s main restaurant Compass rose for dinner.

We ended this entertaining day, dancing back in the Horizon Lounge to the 80/90’s music played by the Mariner Show orchestra.

Please enjoy a few photos

cc893a185f5c95743ec2e732f7732444.jpg

9fc239a7c877664d4d70cc47f52179f4.jpg

20caa5dd0860fc01d1f0a51073a250a2.jpg

e4e16130bea9ccc7d69471d68d68e050.jpg

ff2412136afd82cdf9eeeabc1f4062b6.jpg

6f435fbc7c8f9eeae2cf587c4a14a4fd.jpg

Edited by WesW

Let’s meet another behind the scenes crew member who is now on board Regent’s Seven Seas Mariner. We recognize behind the scenes crew members on board while we are on board to say Thank You for their service. These exceptionally hard working crew members generally do not get told Thank You by the guess like waiters, waitresses, bartenders and reception all crew do.

Today let’s meet Ied Salem, the Mariner’s Night supervisor for housecleaning.

Ied hails from Bali and very much enjoys coming home to visit his parents when his Regent contracts end.

As the Mariner night supervisor for housecleaning, Ied leads his team to maintain cleanliness of ship, wipe down alll surfaces including railings, walls, ceilings, carpets..ensures carpets are vacuumed. He leads the night cleaning team ‘s effort to fight germs during our Code Red. Mariner is under strict sanitation protocol since a handful of passengers have come down with Gastro Intestinal issues since we left Lima. Passengers, under code red do not have salt,pepper shakers on the table. Generally, a crew member has to serve passengers all food & drinks. No self serve laundry is allowed.

Ied tells me his team works 50% harder when under Code Red. His night shift cleaning team efforts as GM Michael tells me are vital to the fact that no crew has been sick with G.I.symptoms. Bravo, to Ied and the night shift housecleaning team for their outstanding sanitation and cleanliness efforts that are helping passengers and crew during Code Red.

Ied has worked with Regent since 2012. Mariner is Ied’s favorite Regent ship, as he explains he has a special chemistry with the Mariner. He has earned employee of the month twice since working on the Mariner. He has served on all Regent ships except the Explorer.

Ied likes most working on Regent to travel while earning a good salary and he lets me know working under Code Red conditions make the night shift housecleaning duties the most difficult to accomplish.

249eda2b201f0d69311b8202125ab1fb.jpg

1fa97248b8edb7440e3d16a6d38557df.jpg