Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

We’ve checked in to the stunning Belmont Hotel Monasterio. This original monastery was built in 1585. Please enjoy a few photos of the Monasterio’s gorgeous courtyard. Thanks to Kuoda Travel we were upgraded to most beautiful suite we have yet stayed at—pls see suite snaps below. Thanks to Jason our Kuoda Travel Personal host while we are visiting Cusco, we are having lunch at Cicciolina one of Cusco’s most popular restaurants before heading out on our afternoon tour of this beautiful city with tons of character.

cb212df857f65e1574f3ecb0247b4747.jpg

2406b71074d146446b676550040a6aa5.jpg

ecf2c0962ce49013c14a1c964bbd0074.jpg

66d9f198cfaa6542beec46425952d8b6.jpg

5119f94af1fa3716fb9384368d389515.jpg

1c77735076578ecd70918505afac2933.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Their romantic bath is nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wes,

A couple of people heard that you were off on your travels in South America and wanted to send you and Ida their best wishes in the traditional way.

f60ba42419372a952ddd5839318c49b6.jpg

Who are these people? Don't recognize anyone! By their dress, they don't look anything like Regent or luxury cruisers (although the person in the front looks like he is trying to copy a hairstyle of someone we all know!).

Wes, hope that you and Ida have a great time!

I wanted to,stay in this fab hotel. But the Ker and Downey Rep talked me into the Belmonts other hotel. I Keith saying I did not need a pool as it it is outdoors. Ended up booking a dinner here plus the art tour at rhis hotel,vs mine.

I found KD harder to work with than other companies. Wiah I had Belmont work with me instead. Or knew this name a year ago.

Liptastic, NCCruzQueen; Jean, Beth thanks for your well wishes, absolutely the Belmond Monasterio is one of the top 3 hotels we have stayed at.

Forgap, Jennifer—we are indeed very fortunate to travel at this level and count our blessings

Jctdlt, will give the batch a try.

Flossie009 thanks for making me spit our my just made illy espresso. Believe these two thumbs up gentleman are Britain’s Boris Johnson and France’s PM Macron.

Travelcat. Jackie thanks—we are having a pre cruise blast and Randall Soy set the mood for me when on my first Facebook post of our arrival in Peru—he said, “Welcome Home.”

Today as Kuoda Travels said, “you will experience the lay of the land as only true world travelers know how; traversing hidden alleyways, historic plazas, and local treasure. Ofelia our private Kuoda guide proceeded to illuminate Cusco’s rich tapestry woven by its inviting cobblestone streets, charming neighborhoods, and astounding landmarks.

We started by visiting Sexy Woman....err mean Saqsaywaman (Satisfied Falcon). The first few snaps below show Ida and I enjoying the Sacsayhuaman Incan ruins above cusco. We were blessed with gorgeous sunny weather in the low 70’s. As we headed back down to visit the daily very popular Cusco indigenous market Ofelia found a vista high above this city of 450,000 where she snapped a pix of us. The historic courtyard you see in the background of the Cusco vista shot, is the Plaza de Armas.

We then headed to the market brimming with a rainbow of beautiful flowers & local fruits, variety of beans Ida is giving a thumbs up to along with a happy Peruvian child, nuts, fresh bread, and scrumptious Peruvian chocolate (we bought two bars of 65%/75% dark chocolate. We then proceeded to our next stop the stunning Cusco’s Cathedral. No photos allowed of the incredibly ornate (solid gold) Cathedral interior.

Finally, we visited San Blas, a bohemian neighborhood home of art galleries and vendors selling their homemade ware. We were entertained here by an excellent quartet of cusco singers (pls watch the short vid of Ida dancing to their tune)

We ended our day (boy were we exhausted already at the 11000+ altitude we had been touring in all afternoon) but we soldiered on and visited the most sacred of Incan sites , the Qoricancha temple of the sun (photos restricted) sorry. The Temple is now an astounding blend of Incan stone masonry and colonial architecture.

What a truly marvelous, enriching day in Cusco, Peru.

12a7927c548d27f0e0f29ad6505bc764.jpg

e2ec70c567398c8a6fd584820355ea74.jpg

176ee94588550995c65721f8b908ec4c.jpg

018f060edc76c2d68cf438032bb1b1fd.jpg

36e6fc0bd9b2c316ba065846dd34edbb.jpg

65e0651d4f410d56564795bee7977ffd.jpg

Edited by WesW

NJBelle; Janice and Eric want to share a few snaps of their second day in the Sacred Valley, Peru. Please enjoy through their eyes/lens:

070ae3cd6c161611523469a52cf098f0.jpg

1446b9500ba33edfd42b7369d0bb119d.jpg

7dac35fd3a830eeba7cd653fc81d7318.jpg

Eric and I are now back in Cusco after two wonderful days in Machu Picchu. I am not going to send photos for Wes to post of MP since I will leave that for him to do himself tomorrow after he gets to experience it. I will fill in with other photos later but he gets the first round of MP.

What I can do is say that MP meets expectations and more. It is truly a magical place. We had a tour with our Kuoda guide (Jimmy, and just a coincidence that Wes/Ida and we are both using Kuoda). We did a lot of the basic city and he added so much with his commentary and knowledge. The weather changed from half hour to half hour - sunny, cloudy, rain, cloudy, rain. We loved the changes and were well prepared with waterproof jackets, hats, umbrellas, etc. During our tour, we sketched out a plan for our today’s adventure, which was on our own. We saw more of the citadel, exploring the Guard House and the parts that we missed yesterday. It is the rainy season, so yes, it rained a bit, but we had a beautiful day overall ( and beach use it is low season, there are much less tourists, which is a blessing!) We stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge and enjoyed wonderful food, great Pisco Sours, and wonderful service. Our room looked out on the mountain and we had the window open for the fresh air. Today after our outing, even though we had checked out, we were able to freshen up in their shower rooms. We relaxed on the orchid terrace, had tea, and then went back down the mountain to board the Hiram Bingham. We really loved the HB; it is a beautiful train, well - appointed and luxurious. Also, we were lucky to be seated at a 4-top, for just ourselves and had great views as we left the station. They make sure everyone has a good time, with free flowing Pisco Sours, beer, whatever you want, along with musicians who played lively songs. The 4 course meal was served as we chugged along and before we knew it, we had arrived. Our Kuoda driver met us at the Rio Sagrado station and drove us to Cusco. We are now very cozy in our suite in the Palacio Nazarenas. Looking forward to a city tour of Cusco tomorrow. I just got a preview of what’s in store by viewing Wes’s pictures he posted.👍 We are in for a good day, it seems!

Thanks Janice for a wonderful MP synopsis. For dinner one nite both our Kuoda guides recommend Cicciolina—about a block from the Nazarenes. Enjoy Cusco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc we both have water proof jackets so recommend it is raining now as we head to Machu Picchu. I have a tilley hat, water proof pants too, Ida has a scarf. I have high tec long sleeve shirt. Rain has now stopped

We are absolutely loving this Hiram Bingham train

Well we have landslide on tracks ahead. So delayed about 30-40 min. Nuts now we will have to have more pisco sours

ee72da8ddbcf9bfabe2a83ec420e76ca.jpg

05251cc1193ec2ea2867a6cc4d2a0470.jpg

0a4f792256fa96fcc93855869d23a51a.jpg

Edited by WesW

WOW-Thanks Wes. We are reading your posts with great interest since we will be doing this trip in June.

Are tour arrangements are through Belmond Hotels and our cruise is on the Silver Galapagos.

Enjoy your trip and keep those cards and letters coming !!

PS- hope to cruise with you guys some day.

I have a light hearted criticism... you both have too many wonderful cruises and I’m exceeding jealous!

Wes, hope you and Ida have an absolutely wonderful cruise and trip to Machu Picchu. Just make sure you have good grips on your shoes and no tumbles this time.

I know you’ll have a whale of a time and thanks so much for taking time out while away to give us updates on your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for too kind words John and les

Love the belmond products John. They would be our second choice for MP tour. We had best breakfast of ant hotel this morning at belmond monasteries. Just look at the main course we were just served on the Hiram Bingham paired with bottomless glasses of Montes reserve merlot and Chardonnay

cf05498c7c9f29a56edc8e662558e5b0.jpg

Can’t wait to meet y’all Tom and Mona

The old adage is a picture is worth a thousand words but maybe the pix of Machupicchu below are worth a thousand plus one words

eacdf4ea6a8cab94482bf9f4e0f85fd7.jpg

cfb58ffc731cf78c3025bd733bde05b5.jpg

ea9170178682e2600a269c7346a3574b.jpg

3846f874ec0ca98e9a4851b7fbe9dea8.jpg

The Machu Picchu lawn mowers

13ffb01771e40fc489fc8453e003604b.jpg

Thanks for your very kind words Keith. Anne Marie and your postings are a wonderful example for us all.

Last nite we first enjoyed a delightful Pisco Sour making class taught by the chief bartender at the Sanctuary Lodge, Wilson. He taught us how Pisco is made from different white and red grapes. Next, he talked us through the fermentation process (12 days, 7 days for the sweeter Pisco version Mosti Verde) Then most importantly we tasted both a Pisco sour (ok a couple) and and Inka cocktail.

Our stay here at another fabulous Belmond property includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. Dinner was outstanding; Inka grilled chicken w/queso for Ida, and Risotto con fungi (porcini mushrooms) for me.

Today, we are taking a near three hour hike to the Sun Gate, above the iconic Machu Picchu citadel that we visited yesterday. We meet our truly exceptional Kuoda guide Ofelia in about an hour. The weather this morning is in upper 50’s and sunny woohoo. Pls enjoy a few snaps for our Pisco class yesterday evening at the Belmond Sanctuary lodge.

3155c0030d91f566b9767e267d6cc20b.jpg

70ad5f7d87dec637851b225a67fac467.jpg

60f67f993fb5a6422023a5ede8e8bcc5.jpg

4e47f44b35a7ed3fd2686d4f5ae75a90.jpg

Edited by WesW

It is Sunday morning in Cusco and we are having a leisurely morning after 5 days on the go. We are in the lovely Belmond Palacio Nazarenas very near the city center. We are very impressed with the Belmond hotels so far. We have previously stayed in the Belmond Charleston Place but we have really had a chance to sample the product further on this trip, with this hotel, the Sanctuary in MP and the Hiram Bingham. (Although, I will take a moment to give a shout out to the Tambo del Inka in Urubamba- it was fabulous, although not a Belmond; it’s a Starwood). We arranged this pre-cruise tour with Kuoda Travels and we have been extremely happy with everything. They will do a bespoke trip and have lots of contacts and ways to enhance your trip with special treats along the way. Anyway, just wanted to mention them. Once we get to our hotel in Lima - the Belmond Milaflores Park, then we will be done with our touring with them. We feel very comfortable on our own in Lima, since we will mostly focus on food there (having been there before).

Oh, I heard from this guy who was at MP when we were (he was also here at this hotel) that his guide told him that it’s being said that in 5 years, they are going to not allow the access currently allowed at MP. Like you can view more from a distance but not just go everywhere like now. Maybe some of you can check this out on the internet, but if true, plan your trip now!!