Nor'easter Madness

Just let me say WHEW, we're on board and headed down to Florida, but this storm wreaked HUGE havoc with our travel plans today, and I'm sure we're not alone.

We're headed out on the Harmony tomorrow, and always fly in a day early, especially in the winter. This time, a day early was TODAY, in all it's windy, rainy sleety, slushy glory.

Due to work and other commitments we were not able to change our flight to yesterday, so held out hope that Long Island wouldn't be hit too badly. We had a mid-afternoon flight to FLL on Southwest. Sadly, it got canceled late this morning. We switched to the earliest available tomorrow morning (cruise departure day), but it was not a nonstop, and was scheduled to arrive until shortly after 1pm. Still early enough if everything went as planned.

In the interim, we started to see what else was available. Enter United from Newark to FLL, with a departure we could make. Booked it. Called an Uber. On our way. Not five minutes from the house, THAT flight got canceled. We told the driver to keep going, opened FlightAware to see what else might be possible, and called United from the car. They got us on a 5pm into PBI, and once again, we started praying. With all the cancellations, there is next to nothing available tomorrow morning that would get us to the port on time.

We arrived at EWR, our plane was already there on the ground, and we waited. Well, we DRANK and waited. Boarded, got de-iced, and eventually left. As we sat on the runway for takeoff, the wind and rain picked up appreciably. Pilot came on and said we were third for takeoff, but they were watching carefully. And we sat and waited.

Twenty EXCRUCIATING minutes later, we took off, and I'm happy to say I am enjoying an absolutely GLORIOUS sunset from my window seat.

We have to get from Palm Beach down to our hotel in Plantation tonight, but I am so very grateful to be safely on our way.

Of course, it's "just" a cruise, but my husband, son and I are joining a friend who's on board in the cast of Grease, so the stakes were a little bit higher than usual this time around.

I hope everyone traveling this weekend gets where they need to go safely. I'm happy to share our experience on the Harmony as the week goes by. It's our first Oasis class ship, and we are very much looking forward to it!!

(P.S. The Southwest flight we had as a backup tomorrow morning got canceled as we arrived at Newark! GAHHHH!!!)

Congrats on getting out ! A friend of mine was scheduled to fly from Hartford to Tampa tonight -- not happening. After hours on the phone he was able to get a flight tomorrow morning. Hope it gets out.

Enjoy your cruise -- its still crazy windy and raining here in CT.

mac_tlc

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Thank you so much! Trust me, we will make the absolute MOST out of this one!!

I just took a look at FlightAware for the flights scheduled to FLL and PBI today, and honestly have no idea how this flight made it. We are SURROUNDED by cancellations.

I'm so grateful to be on our way.

Glad you got on a flight. I don't know if your tickets were round trip, but I would make sure that you still have a return flight home now that you have flown down on a different airline. I would hate to get off a nice, relaxing cruise to find I had no flight home. Have a great cruise!

We had a very similar experience a few years ago heading to the Allure. Complicating it was our luggage was on one of our fights that had to come back to the gate after de icing twice and needing more fuel only to cancel after all

Put this day behind you and have several drinks to celebrate. You’ve earned it.

Glad you got on a flight. I don't know if your tickets were round trip, but I would make sure that you still have a return flight home now that you have flown down on a different airline. I would hate to get off a nice, relaxing cruise to find I had no flight home. Have a great cruise!

This is great advice, thank you. We're actually headed from Fort Lauderdale to Denver for a wedding after this cruise, and home from there, so we booked all the legs separately.

Thank you to everyone for your best wishes and for commiserating. NEVER have I looked forward to a drinks package as much as on this cruise, lol!!

Have a great week! No power here and I suspect it won't be back for awhile. I checked Providence's airport website awhile ago. Not much moving in or out and most of tomorrow's early flights are cancelled. I suspect that is because no planes are coming in tonight to fly the morning's early departures. Quite the mess.

Just let me say WHEW, we're on board and headed down to Florida, but this storm wreaked HUGE havoc with our travel plans today, and I'm sure we're not alone.

We're headed out on the Harmony tomorrow, and always fly in a day early, especially in the winter. This time, a day early was TODAY, in all it's windy, rainy sleety, slushy glory.

Due to work and other commitments we were not able to change our flight to yesterday, so held out hope that Long Island wouldn't be hit too badly. We had a mid-afternoon flight to FLL on Southwest. Sadly, it got canceled late this morning. We switched to the earliest available tomorrow morning (cruise departure day), but it was not a nonstop, and was scheduled to arrive until shortly after 1pm. Still early enough if everything went as planned.

In the interim, we started to see what else was available. Enter United from Newark to FLL, with a departure we could make. Booked it. Called an Uber. On our way. Not five minutes from the house, THAT flight got canceled. We told the driver to keep going, opened FlightAware to see what else might be possible, and called United from the car. They got us on a 5pm into PBI, and once again, we started praying. With all the cancellations, there is next to nothing available tomorrow morning that would get us to the port on time.

We arrived at EWR, our plane was already there on the ground, and we waited. Well, we DRANK and waited. Boarded, got de-iced, and eventually left. As we sat on the runway for takeoff, the wind and rain picked up appreciably. Pilot came on and said we were third for takeoff, but they were watching carefully. And we sat and waited.

Twenty EXCRUCIATING minutes later, we took off, and I'm happy to say I am enjoying an absolutely GLORIOUS sunset from my window seat.

We have to get from Palm Beach down to our hotel in Plantation tonight, but I am so very grateful to be safely on our way.

Of course, it's "just" a cruise, but my husband, son and I are joining a friend who's on board in the cast of Grease, so the stakes were a little bit higher than usual this time around.

I hope everyone traveling this weekend gets where they need to go safely. I'm happy to share our experience on the Harmony as the week goes by. It's our first Oasis class ship, and we are very much looking forward to it!!

(P.S. The Southwest flight we had as a backup tomorrow morning got canceled as we arrived at Newark! GAHHHH!!!)

Enjoy your trip! Following

Safe travels.... I fly into West Palm alot for my FLL and MIA cruises. Easy drive down I95 ....Also 1 way rental drop offs with no penalty if you are inclined to rent a car!

We did! On the way to our hotel now.

If anyone knows anything about dropping off a car at the Alamo on Eller Drive and taking their shuttle to the pier, that would be appreciated!

We did! On the way to our hotel now.

If anyone knows anything about dropping off a car at the Alamo on Eller Drive and taking their shuttle to the pier, that would be appreciated!

You might find some folks on the Florida Departures forum with that experience: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We were scheduled to fly from Rochester, NY through JFK to San Juan this morning. When I saw the forecast, I changed our flights. Yesterday we drove from Rochester to Buffalo and flew to Orlando and then to San Juan this morning. Our original flight from Rochester this morning was cancelled as was our connecting flight from JFK. We're here in San Juan ready to board Adventure tomorrow.

Thank you so much! Trust me, we will make the absolute MOST out of this one!!

I just took a look at FlightAware for the flights scheduled to FLL and PBI today, and honestly have no idea how this flight made it. We are SURROUNDED by cancellations.

I'm so grateful to be on our way.

Often flight cancellations are the result of aircraft, due to the weather, not being able to get to the airport in question to operate your flight, or due to crews not being able to get there from one flight to another, etc. If the weather conditions are good enough to not have the airport you are at suspend operations and your plane and crew are there, your flight typically will remain in tact.

Regardless, glad you made it out and enjoy your cruise.

Often flight cancellations are the result of aircraft, due to the weather, not being able to get to the airport in question to operate your flight, or due to crews not being able to get there from one flight to another, etc. If the weather conditions are good enough to not have the airport you are at suspend operations and your plane and crew are there, your flight typically will remain in tact.

Regardless, glad you made it out and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! Yes, this was exactly the case. The flight we got on arrived into EWR early this morning, so the plane was already on the ground and the crew was available. It got a little dicey as we were getting ready to leave, but they made it happen -- safely -- and we are most grateful.

I'm currently sitting in the 3rd row of our rental suburban surrounded by luggage and strollers and what ever else is literally thrown in this vehicle in our mad dash to get on the road. Our 6 am flight that was supposed to leave this morning was cancelled. I wasn't even packed fully yet and after spending almost 4 hours on the phone trying to get 6 of us booked on a new flight we decided we had no choice but to start driving. Even finding a rental vehicle was a struggle. We're sailing the Allure on Sunday.

I totally underestimated this storm. I figured, no way i dont have to change our flights.

Oh and I had to leave my house with no power.

5 hours down, only 17 more to go. Sunny Florida here we come!