Pesos vs dollars

Boogiewave

I'm guessing it's Mexico (Cuba will be a general no and theres a small chance it'll be DR)

Mexico will accept dollars but it might be better to bring Pesos. If it is easy for you get pesos before your trip you will save money due to exchange rates of the 'convenience' dollar. I have seen many US folk get charged more than me for the same thing in different spots because I had the local currency and they were relying on dollars.

Also, some spots further afield from port and smaller,local places may only want pesos depending on where you are. Any larger place or big company will accept both.

There are 8 countries that use Pesos as their currency :). And within each of those countries there are places where only the national currency is accepted...and some places where the US Dollar would be OK.

So perhaps someday the OP will return and further enlighten us as to the itinerary (country and city).

Hank

Agree it might be nice if the OP returned or was a little more specific, but since he is also posted on the 4-14 sailing of the Ruby Princess to Baja, I think we can assume he means Mexico. In that case for virtually anything dollars or pesos will work.

best to use pesos vs dollars??:o

Best to use local currency, whatever that is for the country you're visiting.

But my experience is that, in areas that get lots of tourist traffic from the US (which would include most cruise ship ports in North America and the Caribbean), most merchants will accept US dollars, but often at a poor exchange rate. Don't expect them to give you change in US currency. And US coins are all but worthless outside of the US, so don't annoy people by trying to spend them.

If you're going to be spending much, it may be worthwhile to visit an ATM and withdraw some local currency. If you're just going to be buying a couple of drinks at a bar and some cheap local trinkets, it may not be worth the trouble -- consider the poor exchange rate a form of "tourist tax".

The one exception I've found to this is Belize, where one US dollar is worth two Belizean dollars, and either type of currency is accepted anywhere at that exchange rate.

But I agree with others; if you want more specific answers, at least tell us what kind of pesos and what kind of dollars you're talking about, and where you'll be spending them.

Taking some Pesos can be a life saver. So, you find a restroom with an attendant that collects a fee for the use. And, he is asking for 50 pesos for the use. And you only have a $20.00 USD as your smallest bill. He will tell you no change is available. Can you wait?

bob

Assuming the country is Mexico, pesos would be good. If you want to just use USD take lots of $1 and $5.

When we used to travel in Mexico I would always bring $100. in $1 bills and $50. in $5. and $50 in $10. If you are buying anything in Mexico and you don't have pesos, use the smallest denomination of bill that you can because the change you get will be in pesos.

Of course I would have larger currency USD also, but the small denomination bills I would keep seperate from my other cash.

Unless you are planning to make a large purchase in Mexico, just use US$. The poor exchange rate you get at the time of purchase is no worse than the rate you get doing the conversion, plus the left over pesos when you leave Mexico.

Thanks to all the responses. Thought that since I was posted on Ruby to Mexico it would be obvious. Sorry, I’m a some what new poster. Been to Mexico many times, was just wondering what others do. Now I know

Thanks again

Thanks to all the responses. Thought that since I was posted on Ruby to Mexico it would be obvious. Sorry, I’m a some what new poster. Been to Mexico many times, was just wondering what others do. Now I know

Thanks again

This board is the "Ask A Cruise Question" board - no reference whatsoever here or in your post regarding Ruby to Mexico. And the form of your question - at least to me - is rather vague and implies a first time visitor, not an experienced traveler.

Not trying to criticize but rather to help with future posts.

Pesos. unless you never plan to visit Mexico again and only patronize the pier area businesses.

I use bank machine to withdraw pesos and charged once keeping any leftover cash and coins (after tipping) for next time.

We are usually in Mexico at least once a year. For other one off countries same but try to return left cash through money lenders at pier or you can always exchange once home but the rates on the latter options will not be as good. As some said just pay the higher rates for using your dollars as a form of tax or exchange. Part of a true visit to another country is using their currency, respecting their customs and enjoying a richer experience than just eating, drinking and shopping as if you were at home. Why bother?