Happy hour on Princess ships

mickrory

Couple of years since we sailed on Princess, what is their current happy hour offering? Last time we sailed with them there were two Happy Hours a day 4-5pm and 10-11pm, buy one get a second for a dollar. Sessions got very lively.

Is it still the same?

Even though I have the beverage package included in two of my next cruises booked with Princess, I am mourning the loss of the BOGO happy hour. I loved the social appeal of this event ... we've met so many nice people in the past while attending the afternoon happy hour. Also, enjoyed some great music and even loved the hubbub over the raffle on the last day. The event itself drew such a great crowd that it was entertainment in its own right. There's not really anything like that left on Princess except for Crooners after dinner and depending on the entertainer there, that can be a flop. I understand business decisions must be made but probably not at the expense of eliminating a popular event where people gathered. Great place to go to get to know your fellow passengers in a very non-regimented setting. The pricing was merely a great way of getting people to attend and with removing that incentive, I doubt if people will still tend to do so. :(

Even though I have the beverage package included in two of my next cruises booked with Princess, I am mourning the loss of the BOGO happy hour. I loved the social appeal of this event ... we've met so many nice people in the past while attending the afternoon happy hour. Also, enjoyed some great music and even loved the hubbub over the raffle on the last day. The event itself drew such a great crowd that it was entertainment in its own right. There's not really anything like that left on Princess except for Crooners after dinner and depending on the entertainer there, that can be a flop. I understand business decisions must be made but probably not at the expense of eliminating a popular event where people gathered. Great place to go to get to know your fellow passengers in a very non-regimented setting. The pricing was merely a great way of getting people to attend and with removing that incentive, I doubt if people will still tend to do so. :(

So true its was a nice way to miggle with other passangers as the bar got so full. It will be an event that I will miss :-)

So true its was a nice way to miggle with other passangers as the bar got so full. It will be an event that I will miss :-)

I certainly would hope that Princess reads these comments and reconsiders at least replacing this event with something that attracts a fun crowd during those down times for entertainment. As I mentioned, the incentive the attract the crowd in that setting was the pricing of the drinks .... but the experience that provided was the true value of the event. Not sure what they could replace it with but hopefully, the powers that be are working on something!

I say lower the price of alcohol overall. Princess would probably make more money anyways. As it is now, with no BOGO and higher prices, people will probably spend much less on drinks.

Also, I think the All You Can Drink package is problematic. The cost is too much for most people who drink socially. It only appeals to people who intend to drink a lot. Princess would probably make more money selling something like 10 drinks for the price of 8. People would probably spend more, and there would not be the overconsumption that some times comes with the All You Can Drink package.

There is also a considerable amount of cheating. Either sneaking alcohol on board or, I have seen times when people were having more than one person use the drink package. I do not know how widespread that is, but I would imagine it happens quite often. Having high alcohol prices can only lead to more abuse in this area.

I believe Princess could generate greater profits, and at the same time make it so people are not over drinking just to get their money's worth.

Or they could just keep the BOGO. I can't imagine it was costing them that much, and it was a good time.

I say lower the price of alcohol overall. Princess would probably make more money anyways. As it is now, with no BOGO and higher prices, people will probably spend much less on drinks.

A good example is the wine sold onboard. One wine we like is Nobilo. For awhile it was $42. On last cruise it was up to $46. Just after that cruise I saw it on sale at Total Wine for $8.50. I can regularly get it at the grocery store for under $10. I expect a mark-up but, seriously?

A good example is the wine sold onboard. One wine we like is Nobilo. For awhile it was $42. On last cruise it was up to $46. Just after that cruise I saw it on sale at Total Wine for $8.50. I can regularly get it at the grocery store for under $10. I expect a mark-up but, seriously?

Agree ... that is why we bring our own wine on board...the market for inexpensive wine is too high.

That's why people bring their own wine onboard and pay the corkage fee if necessary.

I was on a cruise in January and they still had BOGO. However they made a truly terrible Margarita. Maybe they will improve the quality once BOGO is gone.

I have always wondered how many all you can drink packages get sold. You really have to drink a lot to make them worth it.

Wow! If the BOGO is gone, so is our business. Just will limit our drinks. Will be bringing our wine on board. Shame on you Princess. Take that with all of the pictures you take, not going to be buying any of those either.

As we say in Boston Fugheddaboudit it’s over. :(

Tony

Same saying in NY!

Would be very interesting to hear how this has affected liquor sales on the ships, especially at the nightclub late night. That can always be such a dead zone that I always figured the BOGO was one of the things that got people going there.

I have always wondered how many all you can drink packages get sold. You really have to drink a lot to make them worth it.

For the last two years they had a Sip n' Sail promotion over the summer where anyone booking a balcony cabin or higher received the beverage package. For many who booked with the promotion, it was like manna from Heaven.

Agree ... that is why we bring our own wine on board...the market for inexpensive wine is too high.

Their prices on wine & alcohol are totally out of line & that's why we bring our own liquor & wine, every cruise.

I'm sure it more common than people care to admit but as the money saving programs continuum to degrade more people will do likewise.

Like I mentioned before as well am disappointment with the decisions about the letting the BOGO promotion go :-(.

What disappoints me even more is that Princess had something different from other cruise lines and something that work and now the are slashing it and unfortunately again are being less and less trend setters.

Wake up Princess be a leader again.

We enjoyed the happy hour a couple of times on the Regal in February. Princess discontinued it the next cruise, according to some folks we met who were doing back-to-back cruises.

My alcohol consumption is a lot less than it used to be. We used to finish a bottle of wine every night on cruises. Now a bottle lasts us two nights and sometimes three. Our total bar tab in February was around $60--corkage on two bottles, the BOGO twice, and cocktails at the PES event a couple of times. We drank a few of our minibar bottles, too, but also had some leftover to bring home.