Eating healthy?

It's been a few years since sailing on Royal, and was wondering if there are any menus for the buffet, continental breakfast, MDR, etc that I can get an idea of the foods they have.

I know Carnival has egg white omlets, Blue Cantons, baked chicken, etc that I can eat for healthy options.

Just curious what options Royal has. Any info would be helpful for our cruise the end of this month.

Sent from my S7 using Forums mobile app

What’s a blue canton? Anyway, you can always get plain chicken breast and egg white omelets and lots of fruit. I often ask for a plate of steamed vegetables at dinner and make a big salad at lunch. For what its worth, I’ve read recently that most of the “good stuff” is in the yolk, so you’re not doing yourself any favors by having only whites.

The MDR is only open for lunch on sea days. So the special salad bar there is only on sea days.. You can make a great salad at the buffet every day however. You can get grilled salmon in the MDR every day. There are usually several types of baked or grilled fish in the buffet daily. There are usually veggie burgers available for lunch in the buffet. I usually see an Asian style grilled chicken skewer on MDR lunch menus. There are no menus for the buffet as it changes daily. Some things like hamburgers and salad bar are available daily.

It's been a few years since sailing on Royal, and was wondering if there are any menus for the buffet, continental breakfast, MDR, etc that I can get an idea of the foods they have.

I know Carnival has egg white omlets, Blue Cantons, baked chicken, etc that I can eat for healthy options.

Just curious what options Royal has. Any info would be helpful for our cruise the end of this month.

Sorry, should be Blue Cantina....

I watch my calorie intake by not drinking too much, having one major meal and one minor each day. I try not to over-indulge if at the buffet. Other than that I prefer normal food to "healthy" as I am on holiday. This works for me better than salads and egg white omelettes.

The list of healthy options can vary from ship to ship somewhat. Your signature isn't up to date on when that cruise is or what ship.

I think they both sprayed the pan and used some sort of oil at the omelette station, which may be of concern for some. There are hard boiled eggs on the buffet, as well as scrambled. Yolks are good food. If you do dairy, there is cottage cheese on the buffet. If you do carbs, there is oatmeal. Dinner is probably the easiest, always a fish choice, and you can leave off the starches and double the vegetables. Even dessert isn't too bad because the portions aren't usually that big like you would get at say cheesecake factory. And best tip, always take the stairs. My deal with myself was I could only take the elevator if I was in high heels.

The definition of "healthy" food is ill defined, and in constant change. What many think is "healthy" is unhealthy, and many "unhealthy" foods provide some important benefits that are overlooked. Example is there are many benefits to drinking beer in moderation, but have 20 in a day, and it's bad. Yet, most people will jump to the conclusion beer is bad for you. What we perceive as bad is not always bad.

Ships have many choices, and you can choose what you perceive is best for you.

You will be able to find plenty of healthy options on Royal Caribbean. Like mentioned already, the tutti salad at lunch in the MDR on sea is wonderful. The buffet in the Wind Jammer will have plenty of salad and fruit options as well as lean proteins, veggies, soups that are not cream. You can get egg white omelets-location varies with ships.

I have spent a week on cruises and eaten absolutely nothing that was fried, creamed, or sugary.

We sail Carnival a lot. Never seen nor heard of Blue Canton. Was that a misspell or one of the auto-correct errors that often sneak into texts?

I think it was an auto-correct issue. Blue Iguana Cantina on Carnival:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2228

Some Royal ships do have Mexican options like Sabor or Tex-Mex like Rita's Cantina, but I'm not sure what the options are on Adventure of the Seas.

"Healthy" is subjective these days. Does healthy mean good source of vitamins and minerals? Low in calories? I saw one definition of healthy as wheat bread. No one is healthy because of wheat bread.

There are absolutely "healthy foods" on cruise lines. If your only option was burgers, fries, and pizza, that would be concerning. There are salads, vegetables, light meats, fruits, etc. The problem is, keeping it all in moderation.

I think they both sprayed the pan and used some sort of oil at the omelette station, which may be of concern for some. There are hard boiled eggs on the buffet, as well as scrambled. Yolks are good food. If you do dairy, there is cottage cheese on the buffet. If you do carbs, there is oatmeal. Dinner is probably the easiest, always a fish choice, and you can leave off the starches and double the vegetables. Even dessert isn't too bad because the portions aren't usually that big like you would get at say cheesecake factory. And best tip, always take the stairs. My deal with myself was I could only take the elevator if I was in high heels.

Me too! :D

Royal continental breakfasts almost always include a couple kinds of juice and often fruit and meat and cheese platters, not just "breads". There are a lot of danish/ coffee cake type things,but there are often other choices as well. :)