Elevator observations

Please do not judge just because they are going up 1 floor. I was on B2B on Adventure last month and by the end of the day, I rode 1 floor without hesitation. I double fractured my left ankle 6 months ago which required a plate and 4 screws inserted to stabilize it. I am no where near being back to normal yet. :( Surgeon says it will take a year or so before I am close to normal.

Yeah but you probably didn’t “look” like you had a disability so that entitles them to judge you.

I hope it is healing properly for you.

Nothing gets on my goat more than people who judge by appearances.

Over the years I have had a group of pet peeves, but am now down just to one..

The people who insist on entering the elevator before people can exit it. Stand to the side for a few seconds to see if anyone is exiting. If so once they exit, enter the elevator. If not enter the elevator. Makes for a better flow.

I agree with this....but....I also have a pet peeve of people who take their time getting off, and then don't hold the door for those waiting to get on. I use a mobility scooter, and can't tell you how often this happens. People will be talking, gathering themselves or a stroller, or just really really slow to get off. By the time they do, the doors start closing. There have been many times where I have to scoot forward quickly and stick my leg out to try and catch that elevator before the doors close on me.

Just a couple of additional observations. We were on the elevator with 3 people in a family. This is hardly a crowded elevator. They got on with us and we moved to the back of them. When the elevator stopped on another floor, people were waiting to see if anyone exited and the 3-person family immediately hit the "shut door" button without allowing anyone time to get on. Our jaws dropped. On the next floor they did the same. We then mentioned that people were waiting to get on, they had no problem saying they knew they were and that's why they shut the door. They said they prefer an "uncrowded elevator" and prefer not to have to share. That might be why some people immediately jump on the elevator when the doors open. I moved to the front of the elevator, said "excuse me" as if I were about to get off and moved myself in front of them and in front of the buttons for the rest of the floors. They had to "share" a very crowded elevator and got pushed to the back. I guarded the buttons for the rest of the trip.

Just a couple of additional observations. We were on the elevator with 3 people in a family. This is hardly a crowded elevator. They got on with us and we moved to the back of them. When the elevator stopped on another floor, people were waiting to see if anyone exited and the 3-person family immediately hit the "shut door" button without allowing anyone time to get on. Our jaws dropped. On the next floor they did the same. We then mentioned that people were waiting to get on, they had no problem saying they knew they were and that's why they shut the door. They said they prefer an "uncrowded elevator" and prefer not to have to share. That might be why some people immediately jump on the elevator when the doors open. I moved to the front of the elevator, said "excuse me" as if I were about to get off and moved myself in front of them and in front of the buttons for the rest of the floors. They had to "share" a very crowded elevator and got pushed to the back. I guarded the buttons for the rest of the trip.

WOW! I've witnessed lots of different behaviors on ships elevators, but this one is among the rudest and most arrogant. Good for you for taking appropriate and dignified action.

WOW! I've witnessed lots of different behaviors on ships elevators, but this one is among the rudest and most arrogant. Good for you for taking appropriate and dignified action.

I totally agree... surprisingly bold and rude. Good for you to be nice!

What a great response...but so sorry you had to spend the rest of your trip in the elevator.

Over the years I have had a group of pet peeves, but am now down just to one..

The people who insist on entering the elevator before people can exit it. Stand to the side for a few seconds to see if anyone is exiting. If so once they exit, enter the elevator. If not enter the elevator. Makes for a better flow.

I confess I've probably been guilty of this one once or twice. But in my defense alcohol may have been a factor.

(inb4 lecture, yes I get why this is bad.)

Oasis class ship has 6 elevator 3/3

Facing each other. I see people closing the elevators doors when the people are not paying attention. The distance between elevator is really far so easy to close the door in them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My Husband and I were traveling with another couple. My husband had a New York Yankee shirt and our friend had on a Red Sox shirt. When the elevator opened there was just two people on it. The guy looks at us and says no way is a Yankee and Red Sox fan going to ride together with him on the same elevator and shuts the door. He and all of us had a good laugh over that.

I was on the Harmony a few months ago and my wife needed to use a wheelchair, so no stairs for us this trip. What I noticed most was passengers pushing both the up and down buttons to get a car. Many times the doors would open and nobody was there, or passengers would get on an up elevator to go down or visa a versa. But, I must say the vast majority of folks were very nice in making room for us when we got on the elevator.

I dislike when people using wheelchairs or walkers are not allowed to get on the elevator first, sometimes I wonder where common courtesy is. It takes so little effort to be kind.

OTOH, there are those with wheel chairs or scooters who feel that entitles them to bypass everyone waiting and get on the next elevator first.

Courtesy goes both ways.

Actually no I don’t know what you are talking about there are more types of invisible disabilities than you can count.

As someone with some serious health issues nothing gets on my nerves than judgemental people who think they are entitled to say if someone had a disability or not.

As a person who uses the stairs when possible, it gets on my nerves when someone with a disability feels picked on when someone else talks about this issue. The people who are lazy and take the elevator up one floor are fairly easy to spot in their Air Jordans heading the flowrider. Nobody is picking on you and your invisible disability.

As a person who uses the stairs when possible, it gets on my nerves when someone with a disability feels picked on when someone else talks about this issue. The people who are lazy and take the elevator up one floor are fairly easy to spot in their Air Jordans heading the flowrider. Nobody is picking on you and your invisible disability.

I don't take it personally when it's talked about on these boards, but here's a "fun" (not) story:

I do an annual cruise for people with fibromyalgia. We all have varying levels of function. Some of us need mobility scooters for the amount of walking requires on a cruise, some use walkers or canes, and some LOOK perfectly normal. Last year, a group of about 15 of us had just boarded the ship. We went to the opposite side to get an elevator, and were the ONLY ones waiting. When the doors opened, we filled the empty elevator (we had at LEAST two scooters on it). Just then, a woman pushing a wheelchair came up hurrying up and YELLED at us. She said that all of the people without a disability should get off and let the wheelchair on. I turned and told her that everyone in our group had a disability - even though she couldn't see it. She just said, "yeah right" and rolled her eyes as the doors closed on her. The kicker was that she had not even been waiting. She thought that pushing a wheelchair meant she took priority over those that were there before her.

I don't take it personally when it's talked about on these boards, but here's a "fun" (not) story:

I do an annual cruise for people with fibromyalgia. We all have varying levels of function. Some of us need mobility scooters for the amount of walking requires on a cruise, some use walkers or canes, and some LOOK perfectly normal. Last year, a group of about 15 of us had just boarded the ship. We went to the opposite side to get an elevator, and were the ONLY ones waiting. When the doors opened, we filled the empty elevator (we had at LEAST two scooters on it). Just then, a woman pushing a wheelchair came up hurrying up and YELLED at us. She said that all of the people without a disability should get off and let the wheelchair on. I turned and told her that everyone in our group had a disability - even though she couldn't see it. She just said, "yeah right" and rolled her eyes as the doors closed on her. The kicker was that she had not even been waiting. She thought that pushing a wheelchair meant she took priority over those that were there before her.

Thanks for your politely worded reply. I wasn't trying to stir up trouble. Some of the people I've seen using the stairs for one flight are clearly capable. On a barely related, but enjoyable note, I have complained in the non-cruise world of people misusing handicap parking and you set the same discussions. I was at an Ohio State football came a year or so ago and was walking into the stadium and I saw a friend of a friend getting out of her car, she was parked in a handicapped spot. I was about to walk over and say Hi, when an OSU policeman stopped her and gave her a $300 ticket. The car was her mothers and her mother wasn't with her. The officer checked everyone in her group before using the ticket and verified the person for whom the tags were issued was not in the group. I gave the officer a thumbs up and then didn't let that Friend of a friend see me.

Clearly visible. My wife has knee problems, and has trouble with stairs, particularly walking DOWN stairs. She can walk fine on level ground.

So, she LOOKS fine, but people seem to get impatient when they're stuck behind her if she's going down stairs doing the one step thing.

We had almost the same experience a while back with a child. People were walking up to the doors and she was speed tapping the close button like a video game.There were only four us on the elevator and after the 2nd time I spoke up. Turns out the 4th person was Mom and she called her by name after I told her to knock it off. They got off the elevator without saying another word.

While on Liberty, years ago, a group of preadolescent boys were lying down in the elevator and joy riding up and down floors. I got on and gave them “the look” and told them that an elevator was not their toy to use and to get up and get off at the next floor. Then I added “Yes, I am a teacher.” They got up and got off at the next floor.

Edited by RAC630

While on Liberty, years ago, a group of preadolescent boys were lying down in the elevator and joy riding up and down floors. I got on and gave them “the look” and told them that an elevator was not their toy to use and to get up and get off at the next floor. Then I added “Yes, I am a teacher.” They got up and got off at the next floor.

It never leaves us, does it? :')

There were a group of teens who got in the elevator at the top deck and as the doors closed, we realized one was smoking a cigarette! We all just gaped at him, and at the first stop at the pool deck, I said loudly and firmly, 'there is an ashtray right outside the elevator'. The guy walked out, tipped his butt, re-entered and thanked me. :o

After the doors closed, I again spoke up and said that smoking is not allowed on elevators. The next floor, his buddies yanked him off the elevator. The other passengers thanked me and one complimented me on being so firm with my son. I told her I had no idea who he was, but I was a teacher.......:halo:

We had almost the same experience a while back with a child. People were walking up to the doors and she was speed tapping the close button like a video game.There were only four us on the elevator and after the 2nd time I spoke up. Turns out the 4th person was Mom and she called her by name after I told her to knock it off. They got off the elevator without saying another word.

Good for you, I would have done the same.

I agree with your observations as I have experienced most of what you did. Another one that I can't stand is people who reek of too much perfume or cologne. For whatever reason some people forget their manners when using an elevator on a cruise ship. While annoying and uncomfortable at times, I agree that it does provide for some entertaining moments!

Kids who got on deck 3 and pressed buttons for every deck then got off at deck 4.

Edited by lenquixote66

Kids who got on deck 3 and pressed buttons for every deck then got off at deck 4.

How cute. Little bastards. Remunds me of one of the funniest posts I've ever read on these boards. Group of kids were acting up, cussing,etc on the elevator. Guy was getting ready to get off and realized he was ready to pass gas. Elevator doors opened, he let one rip as he was walking off. Kids cussed at him as the door closed. Perfect.