Can you eat supper at Windjammer and then later at the MDR

FatJ

1st time cruiser here, I tend to eat a number of smaller meals throughout the day, if I book a late Main Dinning Room time (8:00) would I still be able to go earlier to the windjammer buffet (5:00 ish) to have something to eat, and then still be able to go with my spouse to the MDR 8:00 sitting. (My Spouse won't eat at buffets)

No problem. You could also eat at a specialty restaurant and the MDR on the same evening.

Let me suggest that you use anytime dining rather than the late traditional dining so that you can have more flexibility. Have not done it, but my guess is that you could even do two anytime dinners in the MDR in the same evening.

Yes, just keep in mind that the buffet isn’t open all day with a full menu. They will switch between breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, and snacks. So depending on when you stop in it may be on snacks or dinner. Yes, I generally just have a salad for lunch and have an afternoon snack to tide me over for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1st time cruiser here, I tend to eat a number of smaller meals throughout the day, if I book a late Main Dinning Room time (8:00) would I still be able to go earlier to the windjammer buffet (5:00 ish) to have something to eat, and then still be able to go with my spouse to the MDR 8:00 sitting. (My Spouse won't eat at buffets)

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

On most RCI ships the WJ doesn't open until 6-6:30pm for the dinner hours.

You can certainly eat as many meals as you want...but booking the MTD just might be a better option for you since MTD is just like going to a regular restaurant...The hours for dinner there is usually anytime between 5:30pm-9:30pm. Very flexible and it might work out better spacing your meals and not be locked into the traditional late dining time of 8:00pm.

Yes, just keep in mind that the buffet isn’t open all day with a full menu.

On most RCI ships the WJ doesn't open until 6-6:30pm for the dinner hours.

Both of these replies are correct. You can certainly do what you are asking but you'll have to time it out. :D Enjoy your cruise.

Grazing all day may not be good for those watching their weight unless they want it to increase.:p

That’s pretty judgmental. I’ve lost weight using the grazing method and know other people that have. It keeps ur metabolism and blood sugar up and helps your stomach shrink so you can feel full on less. Nothing wrong with 6 SMALL meals (as in 200-300 calories) a day.

That’s pretty judgmental. I’ve lost weight using the grazing method and know other people that have. It keeps ur metabolism and blood sugar up and helps your stomach shrink so you can feel full on less. Nothing wrong with 6 SMALL meals (as in 200-300 calories) a day.

I wasn't being judgemental, I was being factual (for me), when I graze all day my weight increases. I am glad that your method works for you.

BTW, 6 small meals is not what I would consider grazing, for me grazing is eating something all day, more like 20 snacks a day.

I wasn't being judgemental, I was being factual (for me), when I graze all day my weight increases. I am glad that your method works for you.

BTW, 6 small meals is not what I would consider grazing, for me grazing is eating something all day, more like 20 snacks a day.

OP described themselves as eating several small mess throughout the day and wanting to plan on 2 Dinners. Not snacking all day. This is what was being discussed and what I consider grazing.

This was quickly followed by many snarky responses that if you eat like that you will gain weight. With absolutely no basis for them because I don’t think a majority of posters understand how grazing eating works.

I'm not very familiar with RCL, but most cruise lines have food throughout the day that should allow for small meals. You should receive some type of daily paper planner (I think it's called the Crown Compass or something like that) which will list the various dining spots and their hours.

Keep in mind that most cruise food is restaurant food, so unless you are getting fresh fruit and veggies or plain cheese there will likely be more calories than if you were fixing it at home (in case that matters for you). Ship food is also usually higher sodium so you may need to increase your water intake. You may have already known all of this, but sometimes first time cruisers don't.

There should be no problem getting a snack/small meal from the buffet and later getting a meal at MDR. A cruiser might have issues getting two dinner seatings at MDR (this would only be for any time dining, not traditional). Some lines offer a tea time on sea days, so perhaps your husband would join you for a sit-down snack.

MDR staff are used to passengers ordering several courses. You may need to explain to your servers that you only eat small meals if you don't want all the courses. Entrees can be requested as appetizer sized, or you can request an appetizer as your entree too.

Enjoy your cruise:D