Regent deck parties

WesW

We also enjoyed the pool deck evening BBQ on our recent Mariner cruise. Lots of fun, and the crew worked so hard to ensure it was a success.

We also love the pool deck BBQ. However, if they hold multiple loud events on the pool deck at night, and if we can hear it from our suite, there would be major complaints. We have dinners, etc. in our suite and do not want to hear loud music from the pool deck (thinking after 6:30 p.m.) And, on some nights we are exhausted from long excursions and do not need music to keep us awake. We went through that on Explorer in a Grand Suite when the music could be heard too clearly in our suite (from the Observation Lounge) until 11:00 p.m. Although we go to bed after midnight at home, this is not the case when we are on vacation.

We also love the pool deck BBQ. However, if they hold multiple loud events on the pool deck at night, and if we can hear it from our suite, there would be major complaints. We have dinners, etc. in our suite and do not want to hear loud music from the pool deck (thinking after 6:30 p.m.) And, on some nights we are exhausted from long excursions and do not need music to keep us awake. We went through that on Explorer in a Grand Suite when the music could be heard too clearly in our suite (from the Observation Lounge) until 11:00 p.m. Although we go to bed after midnight at home, this is not the case when we are on vacation.

6:30 pm????? No music from pool deck????? That's a bit much IMO

Maybe 10 pm. Or 9.

6:30 pm????? No music from pool deck????? That's a bit much IMO

Maybe 10 pm. Or 9.

We have been to many pool deck parties and clearly after 6:30. The staff does a fantastic job of turning things into a real party atmosphere with twinkling lights strung around and up to date music and dancing. They are always very well attended and great fun.

We have been to many pool deck parties and clearly after 6:30. The staff does a fantastic job of turning things into a real party atmosphere with twinkling lights strung around and up to date music and dancing. They are always very well attended and great fun.

With the exception of the night of the BBQ, can you cite one cruise where there was late night music and dancing on the pool deck? This sounds like something that Regent would do on the Caribbean cruises which we avoid whenever possible.

Well, the deck party in the Seychelles on board Navigator recently certainly went on beyond 6.30pm - in fact, it didn't start till 7. I don't remember the details after the tables had been cleared. However, I do remember the deck party on board Explorer in Cartegena following our Panama Canal transit last year and have a photograph of the party going strong with a time stamp of 9.38pm. It was huge fun and in my opinion was the perfect way to enjoy a warm and sultry evening whilst relaxing on holiday.

DSC01349-3.thumb.jpg.c7be7c30e05cf1d37acd8f2e5566bf5f.jpg

Edited by Gilly
trying to get the picture in

Part of the fun of a cruise for us, is enjoying a glass of something cold, under a warm starry night, with the sea either gently lapping whilst moored or the sea slipping past the ship, rather than being stuck in an indoors with freezing air con blasting over us. You can have music without it being over loud. Our recent cruise on a large ship had entertainment on deck every night, with live bands, but you could still have a conversation without shouting at each other.

With the exception of the night of the BBQ, can you cite one cruise where there was late night music and dancing on the pool deck? This sounds like something that Regent would do on the Caribbean cruises which we avoid whenever possible.
I found some pics from our cruise on the Voyager in 2013. We had an overnight in Monte Carlo.

It was a very special. memorable evening.

2b81714635364e7049fe760cead9ba86.jpg

661bed489cdb712982e5c3a31fd6b4ba.jpg

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180419/7de852f72306af62fa095893c8a072d8.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I found some pics from our cruise on the Voyager in 2013. We had an overnight in Monte Carlo.

It was a very special. memorable evening.

2b81714635364e7049fe760cead9ba86.jpg

661bed489cdb712982e5c3a31fd6b4ba.jpg

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180419/7de852f72306af62fa095893c8a072d8.jpg[/img]

Sorry, last one didn't send right

01faca0e36a25d0721d2200a3a91b72c.jpg

Guests on deck 10 on The Voyager hear everything loud & clear from the pool deck,especially at night. If there will be late deck parties, Regent should disclose in advance to anyone booking those suites. With so many sold out cruises,they cannot move you to a more reasonable accommodation.I agree with TC, it gets loud sometimes.

Guests on deck 10 on The Voyager hear everything loud & clear from the pool deck,especially at night. If there will be late deck parties, Regent should disclose in advance to anyone booking those suites. With so many sold out cruises,they cannot move you to a more reasonable accommodation.I agree with TC, it gets loud sometimes.

I guess it depends on how you define "late". I'm pretty sure that the party was over by 10:00, perhaps even earlier. And we're only talking about 1 night.

Here is another vote for more evening deck parties. Some of the best times my wife and I have had on Regent were at deck parties with Lorraine belting out the songs and the entire dance cast partying with the guests. Every one we have been at has been very well attended.

Kent

I guess it depends on how you define "late". I'm pretty sure that the party was over by 10:00, perhaps even earlier. And we're only talking about 1 night.

I have no problem whatsoever with the one night BBQ party (great photos on the first page) however having more loud events on the pool deck would impact some passengers as tripperva indicated.

Speaking as one who was raised in the tropics I LOVE hot evenings. Speaking as one who hates loud music it seems to me that a "curfew" of 2200 is not unreasonable (that is what we have here in Switzerland. We aren't allowed to have music blaring from our homes after then...not without special authorisation from the authorities!)

I think evening parties, buffets etc etc on the deck as long as the wind isn't too bad and temperatures are in the 20° something range (C of course) are a fine idea.

Thanks everyone for a robust discussion & vote (so far) concerning Regent Deck Parties including BBQ evenings.

Majority (rough talley 14 in favor of deckparties, 2 against) most enjoy BBQ evenings however,

Believe Regent should plan for deck parties like Jason Montague said in overnight ports but carefully set guest expectations that music will end at a reasonable time so as not to interfere with nearby suite guest's privacy.

Wes, I'm a bit confused as to why Jason Montague would want to have the parties when the ship is docked overnight since many passengers could be out and about - having dinner, offered night excursions, etc. Just think that it is an unusual time to have a party. Generally, CR is half empty when the ship docks overnight. Also feel that there should be a statement on the Regent website that advises guests under or near the pool deck of these activities (I know - the chance of that happening is slim and none).

Wes, I'm a bit confused as to why Jason Montague would want to have the parties when the ship is docked overnight since many passengers could be out and about - having dinner, offered night excursions, etc. Just think that it is an unusual time to have a party. Generally, CR is half empty when the ship docks overnight. Also feel that there should be a statement on the Regent website that advises guests under or near the pool deck of these activities (I know - the chance of that happening is slim and none).

Overnight in port allows the ship to bring on local entertainers. We had swirling dervishes at one deck bbq. Also, being in port minimizes wind across the deck. Also, it is easier to close down pool deck easier in port to set up as fewer by pool. We have had them while at sea (Diamond being most memorable) but Regent seems to now limit them to overnights and nights with a very late sailaway. Truthfully, deck bbq and country fairs and boat building competitions are those things that Regent cruisers that stick to port intensive cruises probably don't see as much as those of us that take the trips with many sea days (whether crossing of Atlantic, Pacific, or Indian Oceans.

Marc

Edited by Marq

I personally think being able to sit outside with a drink in the evenings with some form of entertainment or not is a great idea.

Some cruise lines have their main entertainment on deck in the evenings and often it is standing room only, but this entertainment finishes earlier than indoor venues, leaving just the bar open for quiet drinks.

A themed deck party/buffet is something we would probably attend.

We quite like the heat and my chest doesn't cope very well with constant aircon and even when we were in Sri Lanka, we tended to turn the aircon off at night and leave the balcony doors open with the screen across.

I think that some form of mellow entertainment would be great - as long a they take into consideration the suites that are affected by anything on the pool deck (this is a big issue for people on the pool deck -- they even hear scraping of chairs when they are moved). In my opinion, it is not up to us to judge whether these folks would be affected as they could be dining in their suite because they are tired from a long excursion, not feeling well, etc.

As an off the topic (but related) example, 200 passengers on the Mariner's Bali to Hong Kong cruise that ended this month had a 3 day pre-cruise stay in the most lovely hotel that we have ever stayed at. Almost all of us arrived on a Wednesday ....... the day that they had some kind of party by the pool that occurs every week (during the day and fairly early evening). All of us were exhausted and there was nowhere that you could avoid the loud music. After traveling for 21 1/2 hours, this was the last thing that we needed. So, despite how much some passengers want to party to loud music, consideration for others is also important.

We do not take port intensive cruises anymore but get up very early and are active all day (on the ship). We stay in larger suites and enjoy dining in our suite with other couples when possible. While we know not to book suites under or anywhere near the pool deck, most others do not know this. I understand that there are events on the pool deck during the day but cannot see a reason to have them at night. On the night of the BBQ at least one specialty restaurant is closed so that servers can be on the pool deck, on other nights the servers are busy in other restaurants until after 9:00 p.m. So where would Regent find the crew to service passengers at a pool deck party unless it started after 10:00 p.m.?

It is easy to state what we would "like" to happen and another to see if it makes sense and if there are enough crew members to cover all areas that need to be covered between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

As an aside, Regent's Country Fair and other events take place during the day. Only the BBQ is at night and it takes the better part of the afternoon and early evening to put together. Lots of work and passengers love it. Not sure that the crew would love having even more events on the pool deck.

P.S. Unfortunately, my reaction to heat is likely as bad as your reaction to air conditioning. I was raised in a hot climate where we had the air conditioning on 24/7 (when we could afford to do so). On the positive side, people can dine outside in Sette Mari and not be in air conditioning. Now that we live in a cooler climate (similar to London), we find a lot of people that dislike air conditioning. I typically find the ship too warm (approximately 73 degrees in CR) yet some people still find it too cold (we keep our home at 67 degrees) so 73 is uncomfortably warm. However, we all need to compromise and I do my best to do that.

Edited by Travelcat2