Does Celebrity plan to have Transgender Bathrooms?

Seth Jessop

To OP has never commented on any of the replies.

He should just call Celebrity and ask them.

This just might be one of those cases where a person posts on a controversial subject and then doesn't have the time to reply, whether to thank or disagree with those of us who post our opinion. It's unfortunate that some folks can't agree to disagree. In this case, with the OP, it appears there may be a lot of background involved that we don't know about. I have to wonder why he started the thread. But, if nothing else, it is insightful and somewhat entertaining, taking advantage of a very sensitive subject.

It would surprise me if anyone now developing a facility for 3000 or so people would not seriously consider the provision of gender neutral facilities.

Perhaps you need to have a discussion with Celebrity. A quick review of the Edge deck plans show only Ladies and Gents restrooms (with the exception of 1 handicap restroom by Eden).

This just might be one of those cases where a person posts on a controversial subject and then doesn't have the time to reply, ....

Not sure what controversial about provision of gender neutral toilets.

To the OP, I would also suggest that from a British point of view there is nothing unusual about being uneasy about using men's public restrooms. Social commentators have noted that British men NEVER chit chat with one another whilst in there and always like having at least one clear urinal gap between you and someone else :D.

To the OP, I would also suggest that from a British point of view there is nothing unusual about being uneasy about using men's public restrooms. Social commentators have noted that British men NEVER chit chat with one another whilst in there and always like having at least one clear urinal gap between you and someone else :D.

My husband was once in a men's room at a concert at the urinal next to Bill Walton. They chit chatted about basketball, and now he proudly tells everyone "I pee'd next to Bill Walton!". :')

My husband was once in a men's room at a concert at the urinal next to Bill Walton. They chit chatted about basketball, and now he proudly tells everyone "I pee'd next to Bill Walton!". :')

I remember a UK comedian once joked that the biggest fear a British man has is that when he's out at the pub on a Friday night that his pint to toilet break timing falls coincides with that of a complete stranger :')

I've been pleasantly surprised actually. I just popped into this thread to watch the drama but so far there have only been a couple of medieval responses and they have been responded to appropriately. Hopefully this thread won't attract any more but compared to other forums this one is positively sedate.

I know at least one inappropriate post was deleted by the host, as I and at least one other person responded to it and none of that is showing anymore. We should not be shaming anyone for inquiring about this topic, as I know you agree.

We also IMHO should not be shaming the OP for not responding again on the thread (you didn't do this but at least a couple others did). I know myself, on occasion I will start a thread but just get very busy and can't get back online for a few days. Or perhaps he had read the ignorant post(s) and didn't realize they would be deleted so got offended. I could see that.

Wasn't it just 80 years ago that 15 year olds tried to sneak and join warships to fight in WWII? Times have changed when a luxury cruise is now intimidating over special bathrooms. Like a parent bird, it's our job to teach the hatchlings to fly out of the nest and become adults. An eagle couldn't care less what gender each baby bird is, or where they'll end up going potty. If we stop making such a big deal out of all of this, the kids might actually have an easier time adjusting.

Wasn't it just 80 years ago that 15 year olds tried to sneak and join warships to fight in WWII? Times have changed when a luxury cruise is now intimidating over special bathrooms. Like a parent bird, it's our job to teach the hatchlings to fly out of the nest and become adults. An eagle couldn't care less what gender each baby bird is, or where they'll end up going potty. If we stop making such a big deal out of all of this, the kids might actually have an easier time adjusting.

Exactly.

This is a sad commentary on Cruise Critic in general. The OP was seeking information NOT judgement. This is a forum for just that, information.

People are mean,nasty and rude sometimes on these boards and it is hard to take at times.

We wish the OP's son nothing but the best in life. He is not asking for anything from anyone but common human courtesy as are his parents!!.

Thank you for your understanding. I will admit that I was quite surprised when I found out how my son felt a while back, and went through a difficult adjustment period. But it's still my child and I'd do anything to help him. My boy is quite shy to begin with and is afraid of the public at this time. Hopefully it will become easier.

I also want to thank all the other people here with the helpful advice. My son read some of these posts and is appreciative of the support and kindness.

Then why do they have any public toilets on the ship at all??

There's a difference between offering something that creates a convenience for the vast majority of passengers, vs. making monumental changes ship-wide to accommodate a tiny number of passengers who already have an alternative.

There's a difference between offering something that creates a convenience for the vast majority of passengers, vs. making monumental changes ship-wide to accommodate a tiny number of passengers who already have an alternative.

A monumental change????? To put in a couple of simple gender neutral toilets???? Only doing stuff for the benefit of a vast majority?

Are you familiar with the concept of inclusivity? Doing stuff to help include people who might otherwise be excluded, such as those who are sexual minorities. The vast majority of passengers aren't in wheelchairs, should we not offer spaces for wheelchairs in the theatre? Of course not. By suggesting that people go back to their room is excluding people from the options and facilities open to others. That option is open to everyone and if it's such a sound idea why not do away with the public toilets on board all together and suggest everyone uses their own cabin facilities.

Adapting existing facilities / creating gender toilets is not a monumental change - they create new suites, remodel whole sections of ships, create restaurants and make other substantial changes during a dry dock - this could be straightforward. I reckon a decent group of fitters could remodel a couple of washrooms to make them gender neutral in an afternoon - remove any urinals or put them in a cubicle, close in the existing cubicles, possibly impound proofing, and change the signs - done. There's nothing magical about a gender neutral toilet. It is not a facility only to be used by a small number of people.

Edited by DYKWIA

A monumental change????? To put in a couple of simple gender neutral toilets???? Only doing stuff for the benefit of a vast majority?

Are you familiar with the concept of inclusivity? Doing stuff to help include people who might otherwise be excluded, such as those who are sexual minorities. The vast majority of passengers aren't in wheelchairs, should we not offer spaces for wheelchairs in the theatre? Of course not. By suggesting that people go back to their room is excluding people from the options and facilities open to others. That option is open to everyone and if it's such a sound idea why not do away with the public toilets on board all together and suggest everyone uses their own cabin facilities.

Adapting existing facilities / creating gender toilets is not a monumental change - they create new suites, remodel whole sections of ships, create restaurants and make other substantial changes during a dry dock - this could be straightforward. I reckon a decent group of fitters could remodel a couple of washrooms to make them gender neutral in an afternoon - remove any urinals or put them in a cubicle, close in the existing cubicles, possibly impound proofing, and change the signs - done. There's nothing magical about a gender neutral toilet. It is not a facility only to be used by a small number of people.

Exactly, this would not be difficult.

Ut oh. :D

It would accommodate everyone though. It's a usually called a family bathroom. You just have to remove the label of the Gender.

Are you familiar with the concept of inclusivity? Doing stuff to help include people who might otherwise be excluded, such as those who are sexual minorities. The vast majority of passengers aren't in wheelchairs, should we not offer spaces for wheelchairs in the theatre? Of course not. By suggesting that people go back to their room is excluding people from the options and facilities open to others. That option is open to everyone and if it's such a sound idea why not do away with the public toilets on board all together

My brother is in a wheelchair, and I can attest to the need to have access to amenities and facilities. The difference is, emotionally he would rather not sit in a special wheelchair space, but physically that's his only option. Transgender people can physically use a normal toilet, but allegedly and emotionally, need a segregated space. In the US when we had segregated bathrooms based on race, it wasn't nice or inclusive.

It’s ridiculous to expect transgender people to return to their cabin each time they seek a toilet. It’s also ridiculous to expect them to monopolize one of the few public accessible toilets on the ship. Transgender persons should be able to use the public toilets most closely aligned with their gender identification. However, given the hostility transgender persons sometimes encounter (including verbal and physical attacks) both the OP and his son have valid concerns about the potential reactions of others. OP, I think your son will be fine on Celebrity. For the most part, Celebrity passengers are a civilized group. I wish your son a smooth journey, both on your cruise, and throughout life:)

To the OP, I would also suggest that from a British point of view there is nothing unusual about being uneasy about using men's public restrooms. Social commentators have noted that British men NEVER chit chat with one another whilst in there and always like having at least one clear urinal gap between you and someone else [emoji3].

It’s the same in the U.S. as well. Women always have to have a bathroom buddy which is why the line for the women’s room is always a mile long. We were on a Princess cruise and the line for the ladies room was so long. My wife didn’t want to go back to our room. I had just used the men’s and it was empty. My wife told me to stand by the door because she was going in. Any port in a storm so to speak. OP’s son might just identify as a male in the evening after he sees the line for the ladies room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps I am missing something about the issue of providing gender-free bathrooms for the comfort of trans-gendered people, but I would think that unisex bathrooms would be an acceptable solution. Are the family bathrooms referred to on this thread the same as unisex bathrooms ? Or are unisex bathrooms limited to one toilet and one sink ?

My DH and I have enjoyed about twenty cruises. We have chosen to use our cabin bathroom mainly to avoid any noro illness. We try not to use public bathrooms on a ship whenever possible.

So far, we have never contracted any intestinal illness. Using our cabin bathroom and regular hand washing have helped us stay healthy on vacation.

We choose to use our cabin bathroom and do not consider this choice an inconvenience

Regarding gender neutral restrooms, on an airplane, a train or a bus you'd find the wait for the lady's or gents to be rather difficult. The gender neutral facility provides timely and effective relief.

If gender neutral works on airplanes, etc., why not on cruise ships?

Please, let's avoid expanding this discussion beyond the availability of necessary facilities.

The difference on a plane, etc., is that each toilet is an individual stall - just like the Family/Accessible ones in most places.

You can't have a gender neutral bathroom with multistalls because many women (and men) would not want the other sex in there since you do more than just "go and get out" - women especially want the privacy to adjust their make-up, their clothes, etc., and men would not want to give up the efficiency of urinals to always have to go into a stall for #1.

It’s the same in the U.S. as well. Women always have to have a bathroom buddy which is why the line for the women’s room is always a mile long. We were on a Princess cruise and the line for the ladies room was so long. My wife didn’t want to go back to our room. I had just used the men’s and it was empty. My wife told me to stand by the door because she was going in. Any port in a storm so to speak. OP’s son might just identify as a male in the evening after he sees the line for the ladies room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. Nonsense, if you think that is why there is a long wait for the ladies you are dead wrong. We get the same or less stalls and don’t have the option of using the facilities without getting half undressed. We also have monthly inconveniences that take time. Please rethink your statement, it is disparaging!

You can't have a gender neutral bathroom with multistalls because many women (and men) would not want the other sex in there since you do more than just "go and get out" - women especially want the privacy to adjust their make-up, their clothes, etc., and men would not want to give up the efficiency of urinals to always have to go into a stall for #1.

Sorry to inform you but yes you can have multi stalls. It works , it is unusual the first time perhaps after that you wonder what the fuss was about. If you are in the position of designing from the ground up you can also design washrooms with urinals and cubicles and it can still function as a gender neutral toilet. Also I doubt any organisation would immediately strip out all single sex toilets, they would just introduce gender neutral toilets to compliment the other toilets - so any woman (or man) who wants the privacy to adjust their make up or clothing still can. Not sure why you think all men love urinals for their efficiency - we don't rush to installl them at home.

Edited by DYKWIA