Enough time to make our flight?

Hi All

Our cruise onboard MSC Seaside ends in Miami at 7.30am. If we express disembark will we have enough time to make a 12:15 flight out of Miami. Do we have to be at the airport 2 hours before flight time or longer (it's 2 hours in UK but I don't know if its the same in USA). Thanks for any advice.

It is doable if things go to plan, but is tight.

You have to hope customs / passport control do not hold you up and you are able to get a taxi to the airport without queuing.... something that may be difficult given the passenger count.

Is there not a later option? If it was an hour more, I’d personally be comfortable.... but less so because you are reliant on immigration and transport which could* delay you.

It is doable if things go to plan, but is tight.

You have to hope customs / passport control do not hold you up and you are able to get a taxi to the airport without queuing.... something that may be difficult given the passenger count.

Is there not a later option? If it was an hour more, I’d personally be comfortable.... but less so because you are reliant on immigration and transport which could* delay you.

No later option for our budget - it would be on the Sunday which then wouldnt get us back into the UK until the Monday and my partner would have to then go straight to work after long flights and my son would miss another day off school (he's already missing Fri 5th) which is really frowned upon in the UK nowadays. Even the Sunday one is £400 more expensive.

Can we increase our chances of quicker disembarking by being ready at in the area you disembark from at 6.30am/7.00am?

You should be fine - walk off when they release the ship, into cab or Uber right out on the sidewalk and you should be at the airport in under 30”. Saturday MIA can be very busy so lines may be long. We easily made a 10:15 flight (I know we had no delays) so hopefully you will be fine.

It is always interesting that folks who ask the "can I make the flight" question already know that it will be "tight" even in the best of conditions.

A lot of the above "you'll make it" comments are based on one or more important faulty assumption(s):

1. The ship will not be delayed (weather, marine traffic, etc).

2. Port disembarkation will be quick (are there other ships also starting/ending at the same time?).

3. Customs/Immigration check will be uncomplicated (for folks ahead of you in line).

4. There will be no "rush hour" traffic. (Reality check: weekends in any resort area can be just as congested as weekdays).

As for kids missing school: arrange beforehand a special travel assignment (history/culture/geography essay assignment as "make up" work.

As for the extra cost (for more realistic air schedule) concern: imagine the cost of the next available flight booked at the last minute when you miss your scheduled flight. Remember too that the "next" flight may not be the "next" flight (reserve that hotel room now).

Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish."

we usually get off by 9 am & at MIA before 9:30am for a 12:20 flight

Last time we flew AA to Canada the security line was very long took about 1 hr

so get there before 9 am for UK if you can

no need to get off at 7:30 but do try for 8 or 8:30 am

grab a taxi or arrange for a car service ..we do that & share with others

JME

Some terminals at MIA are less congested than others

I would check what terminal your flight leaves from

http://www.miami-airport.com/departures.asp

I found D much worse than J

Edited by LHT28

Most cruise lines recommend booking flights for 12 pm or later. So you’re within the normal accepted parameters with your flight. We’ve done lots of cruises with many of them having departing flights leaving around noon and we’ve never had an issue. For our upcoming September cruise we have a 12:15 pm flight booked and we’re not worried. You shouldn’t be either.

That being said, there are things you can do to help speed up the process of debarkation. Notify guest services once you’re onboard that you have an early departure flight. They will work with you on getting you off the ship early. Do self assist and take your luggage off the ship yourself. That way you don’t have to wait for your luggage or peruse through hundreds of suitcases to find yours. And have a ride service on hand waiting for you. For our upcoming Miami cruise we will use either SAS or Jiffy Jeff at $15 pp (half of what the cruise lines usually charge.) They usually contact us the morning of debarkation asking when we are getting off the ship and tell us where they are at. Hope this helps. ;)

For our upcoming Miami cruise we will use either SAS or Jiffy Jeff at $15 pp (half of what the cruise lines usually charge.) They usually contact us the morning of debarkation asking when we are getting off the ship and tell us where they are at. Hope this helps. ;)

Does SAS now go to MIA??

they usually just go to FLL

Hi All

Our cruise onboard MSC Seaside ends in Miami at 7.30am. If we express disembark will we have enough time to make a 12:15 flight out of Miami. Do we have to be at the airport 2 hours before flight time or longer (it's 2 hours in UK but I don't know if its the same in USA). Thanks for any advice.

You do not need to rush for a 12:15 fight. You will have plenty of time. The airport is about a 15 minute cab ride, and even traveling international if you are there by 9:45 you will have plenty of time to waste before your flight. The cab fare is around $25, plus gratuity.

Just to calm any fears, I have personally cleared security in Miami and been at the gate well before 10:00 after disembarking every time I have flown out of Miami on the day of a cruise.

Does SAS now go to MIA??

they usually just go to FLL

They don’t go to Miami hotels or MIA. But they do offer rides from FLL and FLL hotels to the port of Miami. We’ve used them that way. I wish they went to MIA though. We love them.

They don’t go to Miami hotels or MIA. But they do offer rides from FLL and FLL hotels to the port of Miami. We’ve used them that way. I wish they went to MIA though. We love them.

That is what I thought

So not sure why you posted the info when the OP is going to MIA :rolleyes:

Hi All

Here are my thoughts on this and I assume that you are flying back to the UK from MIA. When I pick flights, I always consider the negative implications financial and otherwise if I miss the flight. If you were flying from MIA to another airport in the states, you would probably be able to get another flight later in the day. If you miss your flight back to the UK, what are your later-in-the-day options. Could you get another flight and what would the cost be or would you have to stay overnight in Miami?

We are leaving on a cruise that leaves and returns to Dover in a few days. I was originally planning to book at 12:30 flight out of Heathrow and I probably could have made the flight. However, when I asked the same question that you are asking, some respondents from the UK pointed out that sometimes the M roads around London can be the world's largest parking lots so I changed my flight to one that left at 2:30. I may have to sit around the airport for a few hours but better that than sitting in the car on an M road and missing my flight.

Just a thought.

DON

That is what I thought

So not sure why you posted the info when the OP is going to MIA :rolleyes:

Who says they aren’t staying in Fort Lauderdale pre cruise and needs a ride? Most cruisers do that. Just telling them what I do and who I use when I cruise. Just trying to share info and be helpful to my fellow cruisers here. :rolleyes:

We are leaving on a cruise that leaves and returns to Dover in a few days. I was originally planning to book at 12:30 flight out of Heathrow and I probably could have made the flight. However, when I asked the same question that you are asking, some respondents from the UK pointed out that sometimes the M roads around London can be the world's largest parking lots so I changed my flight to one that left at 2:30. I may have to sit around the airport for a few hours but better that than sitting in the car on an M road and missing my flight.

Just a thought.

DON

There is probably a big difference in distance

it took us 2hrs from Dover to LHR would have been less if the driver did not get lost at the terminals at LHR

It took us maximum 25 mins in traffic from POM to MIA it is usually 15 mins

Not really a fair comparison

If there are no major weather/immigration/traffic delays, you should have plenty of time. If there are major delays than a late afternoon flight might still be too early. You can only plan for so much. I would be fine booking that flight, just plan on doing the early walk off

Sent from my iPhone using Forums