Plastic Straws to be Discontinued on Celebrity

vtcruising

Scare mongering, as with everything else, that's their M.O.

https://psmag.com/environment/banning-straws-wont-save-the-oceans

That article didn't show any scaremongering.

All it pointed out was that straws aren't the only plastic issue in the oceans. While the author questioned why they were targeted, he also revealed a personal interest that he had a preference for retaining them. Moreover, his suggestion was to achieve a reduction in usage by increasing the cost, rather than an all out ban; hence confirming the validity that their production and usage should be curbed.

So not really aligned with what you were claiming at all.

I guess creating FUD is other's MO.

Wow. Seven pages and counting on this thread. I have heard straws described as "sippy cups for adults". I try to use only the metal ones, and keep them in a bag in my purse, but it is difficult to stop the servers from putting plastic ones in automatically. I also use the reusable cups when I am in our iconic Canadian coffee shop. Small changes!

Soooo much waste in this world. Straws cause a lot if it.

I would question why (outside of special needs for those with disabilities) most straws are needed at all? I'd bet 90% of those reading this do not use straws in their homes so why do we need straws at restaurants and bars? Drinks should be served without straws unless the customer specifically asks for one. I realize there are some drinks that are better consumed with straws, but it is maddening to me that when I go to a restaurant and have an ice water it automatically comes with a straw unless I ask them to hold it.

I have seen the "I don't want to put my mouth on the cup as it might be dirty" argument. This holds no water in a restaurant as you are already using the silverware and plates that go through the same wash process.

Most straws are an unnecessary waste of energy to both produce and consume. Please consider asking your servers on a cruise AND at home to hold off on supplying straws unless you for some reason absolutely need one.

The cruise line isn't dumping plastic straws into the ENVIRONMENT so this change will have no effect on the ANIMALS. That means this change is nothing more than political correct virtue signalling.

So TOTALLY incorrect and naive. Nobody is dumping plastic straws directly into the ocean (I hope) but due to the mass usage of straws throughout the world, inevitably some end up outside of landfills and in the ocean. Look up "pacific garbage island". The bulk of this is not due to plastic being dumped into the ocean, it simply ends of there due to runoff, going down sewers, etc. Cutting back on plastic straw usage is a small piece of the problem but it is still a piece.

Soooo much waste in this world. Straws cause a lot if it.

I would question why (outside of special needs for those with disabilities) most straws are needed at all? I'd bet 90% of those reading this do not use straws in their homes so why do we need straws at restaurants and bars? Drinks should be served without straws unless the customer specifically asks for one. I realize there are some drinks that are better consumed with straws, but it is maddening to me that when I go to a restaurant and have an ice water it automatically comes with a straw unless I ask them to hold it.

I have seen the "I don't want to put my mouth on the cup as it might be dirty" argument. This holds no water in a restaurant as you are already using the silverware and plates that go through the same wash process.

Most straws are an unnecessary waste of energy to both produce and consume. Please consider asking your servers on a cruise AND at home to hold off on supplying straws unless you for some reason absolutely need one.

My dentist has recommended the people use straws when drinking sugary drinks; it cuts down on tooth decay.

Excellent news. I had a paper straw in Hawaii, it was absolutely fine. Happy to see this change.

We seem to recall at time when many of the same folks who now want to ban plastic wanted to ban paper. In fact I there were some Left Coast cities where they forced merchants to replace paper bags with plastic bags. Go figure. We would assume as they start using more Pasta straws there will be somebody who will soon be screaming for "pasta rights."

The thing about plastic on cruise ships is that modern cruise ships have some of the best recycling systems in the world. Paper straws will likely be incinerated and them somebody will complain they are using more fuel (to run incinerators), more pollution (from incinerators) and then what about the poor trees (perhaps some will argue they suffer pain when they are cut down). And then there is the issue of all the pollution that occurs as they process wood pulp into paper and, of course, pollute the water supply with the run-off from the pulp plants. Oh my!

Our conclusion is that its just a matter of time until "they" will be screaming to ban paper straws and use plastic! Oop...we already went through this cycle.

Hank

We seem to recall at time when many of the same folks who now want to ban plastic wanted to ban paper. In fact I there were some Left Coast cities where they forced merchants to replace paper bags with plastic bags. Go figure.....

I lived on the ‘Left Coast’ from 1940’s until mid 1968 and there was No banning of paper bags and press to replace them with plastic. There weren’t ‘many folks’ who wanted to ban paper and now want to ban plastic - there aren’t any. Plastic was introduced by businesses because it was cheaper and easier to store and all the other reasons we’ve replaced most everything with plastic. I’ve read these ‘stories’ before as an excuse to ignore conservation movements. Kind of like those who insist ‘scinece’ predicted we’d go into an Ice Age and now have switched to global warming, so just ignore it all.

I realize that plastic straws aren’t the the things clogging the world with plastic, but just like that video on cruise ship exhausts, any time people are asked to make minor changes, someone comes out with the ‘yes, but...’ about how that change is small compared to all the other polutants, so we all do nothing.

The idea is for us to make changes in our lifestyles that may help, and this change, minor as it seems is that type or approach. A local restaurant just added paper straws. They worked just fine.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Been using stAinless for years. I order made in the USA version on Etsy

By coincidence, I just came from a luncheon where these were used, and we were all told to keep ours and re-use them at home. Something like this would be easy enough to pack.

e307ef04-8134-4e9f-83f4-3162d7f6ab37_1.364a5410d7248f59e9c32e2db75023e4.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Exactly - The one restaurant chain in Canada doing it says it will be 82 million less plastic straws per year going into the landfill 82 million!! With just one chain.

That computes to 224,658 straws per day for one restaurant chain. Not sure which chain it is and how they might have that many customers, per average day using said straws. Seems a bit inflated.:cool:

"United Airlines is the latest airline to ditch plastic straws and cocktail picks, amid concerns over pollution and wildlife threats caused by disposable plastics. … Starbucks, for example, in July said it would eliminate plastic straws from its cafes by 2020."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/united-joins-other-airlines-in-ditching-plastic-straws.html

Yeah, because people are throwing their straws out the airline windows and polluting the seas? :eek:

This is all a huge "PC" nothing burger dreamed up my environmental wackos. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because people are throwing their straws out the airline windows and polluting the seas? :eek:

This is all a huge "PC" nothing burger dreamed up my environmental wackos. :rolleyes:

And of course these wackos can’t fool the ones who know the straws magically dissolve once given back to the flight attendant. :rolleyes:

"United Airlines is the latest airline to ditch plastic straws and cocktail picks, amid concerns over pollution and wildlife threats caused by disposable plastics. … Starbucks, for example, in July said it would eliminate plastic straws from its cafes by 2020."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/united-joins-other-airlines-in-ditching-plastic-straws.html

Are you suggesting anyone who cares about the environment is a "wacko"?

Are you suggesting anyone who cares about the environment is a "wacko"?

Nothing wrong about caring for the environment. It's just those who go overboard are the wackos.

Currently on Brilliance of the Seas and noticed them offloading hundreds of pounds of garbage & plastics in one of the ports. Let's start there instead of worrying about a few ounces of straws.