Post cruise depression

OrinocoFlow

It’s really, really bad for me. Last time we deliberately scheduled a drive to key west to give us something to look forward to but it was still a bit of a let down..(finding our own food? The horror!)

Seriously though it really bums me out. How do you all deal with it -besides just booking the next one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it is just the cruise, but any vacation. It has to do with having to go back to work. I found that ended when I retired. Yes, that particular event is over, but now I an relax and plan the next one. EM

I used to suffer from this a lot. Not just for cruises, but any vacation. I'd get sad and feel regret for all the things I didn't do on the trip.

I just got off the NCL Bliss last week and I had a blast, but surprisingly I didn't have those same feelings of depression and regret when I left. The secret, I find, is just to be present in every moment. Depression is caused by thinking about the past or wanting to be "there" when you are "here." Accepting the present, as well as facing and letting go any "negative" emotions you feel is really beneficial. I've been doing a lot of meditating the past few months and it really helps! I think it's the reason I did so well getting off my cruise this time.

Realize that everything happens for a reason, and there is still many more exciting things to come. We are far more than our form and this world of form, and getting caught up in memories distracts us from what is really important.

Even though it is very sad when the cruise comes to an end, and although it may have been a fabulous cruise, we are still ALWAYS missing our pets and cannot wait to go home to them. I know, a little weird, but that is how we feel.

We normally do not like being away for more than 10 days for same reason, wife will check with pet sitter while we are gone and I know next cruise is normally just 6 or 7 months away. Having nice house with swimming pool als helps.

I try to cushion the blow from coming home from a vacation by doing as much as I can to make sure home is in good shape before I ever leave. It's way easier to come home to a house with an empty dishwasher and vacuumed floors with the majority of the clothes in my suitcase already clean than it is to come home to a place that looks as if it were ransacked by thieves. It isn't always possible, and sometimes things are pretty chaotic right before travel. But I try to do whatever I can to make it easy to transition back into responsibilities. Here are some of the little details that take a big load off when I come home:

1) Place a grocery order before leaving to be picked up the day we get home or the next day.

2) Hire a cat sitter to come every other day and look in on our pets, feed them, and clean the litter box.

3) Stop the mail for long trips and have mail service resume when we get home.

4) Try to do laundry, dishes, make my bed, vacuum floors, and take out trash before leaving.

5) Try to do some laundry on vacation if possible (only if doing this doesn't sound terrible to you. I don't mind doing laundry on vacation.) so unpacking doesn't also involve laundry.

6) Return in time to have a full transition day at home, unpack fully, etc.

When coming home doesn't feel like walking into a deep pit of chores and "OK now I gotta do..." it is way easier for me to come home. Hope this helps!

I would imagine that the less enjoyable a person’s “real life” is, the greater the key down would be when a cruise (or any vacation) comes to an end.

Vacations should be part of life - but not the only good part of life. It might be advisable to spend time and money on looking for a change in basic direction - rather than “escapes” from an unsatisfying life style.

We always stay a week post-cruise in whatever city we're in (as well as a few days pre-cruise). Once we get home from that vacation, I always have another cruise booked so I start planning that one. I only deal with 1 sailing at a time as far as planning so it gives me time to research and plan each one, and help with post-vacation depression. The cruise last week was an exception since it was a special occasion. Now I have until May to plan my next one. :) For me, the planning is almost as good as the vacation itself. I love doing the research, the planning, looking at things to do, comparing Airbnbs, etc. That's why I run far far away from TAs.

ORINOCO - I am coming to realize that for me NAVYBANKER's comments are applicable. I recently retired and haven't yet adjusted or filled in the fun/meaningful activities i need. It will take time. I did find that if i dread something, , i sometimes set up a little outing or treat, to sort of hop over the neg in my thoughts and refocus.

Edited by Etta1213

It’s really, really bad for me. Last time we deliberately scheduled a drive to key west to give us something to look forward to but it was still a bit of a let down..(finding our own food? The horror!)

Seriously though it really bums me out. How do you all deal with it -besides just booking the next one?

Cruising is the only thing I can do .I cannot be in a plane or a train and I cannot drive due to illness .I only cruise in the months of December ,January and February .

I'm so sorry that some others that posted can't relate to it. I think it's pretty normal, especially if you were the planner of it! If you planned a long time and all of a sudden it's over! I think that if it's something that you don't do once a yr. or in some peoples budget, it's many times a yr, it's more of a letdown! It might help to plan it for a time when it'll be busy when you come home, like Christmas, etc. Sometimes, I feel a relief because everything went as planned and no one got ill. Yes, and look at places you want to go on the next one! I'm sure that most people must feel some depression, especially, if you do suffer from some. No one can tell you how you should feel! Hope you make some peace with it soon, bu you're not abnormal!!!

I try to cushion the blow from coming home from a vacation by doing as much as I can to make sure home is in good shape before I ever leave. It's way easier to come home to a house with an empty dishwasher and vacuumed floors with the majority of the clothes in my suitcase already clean than it is to come home to a place that looks as if it were ransacked by thieves. It isn't always possible, and sometimes things are pretty chaotic right before travel. But I try to do whatever I can to make it easy to transition back into responsibilities. Here are some of the little details that take a big load off when I come home:

1) Place a grocery order before leaving to be picked up the day we get home or the next day.

2) Hire a cat sitter to come every other day and look in on our pets, feed them, and clean the litter box.

3) Stop the mail for long trips and have mail service resume when we get home.

4) Try to do laundry, dishes, make my bed, vacuum floors, and take out trash before leaving.

5) Try to do some laundry on vacation if possible (only if doing this doesn't sound terrible to you. I don't mind doing laundry on vacation.) so unpacking doesn't also involve laundry.

6) Return in time to have a full transition day at home, unpack fully, etc.

When coming home doesn't feel like walking into a deep pit of chores and "OK now I gotta do..." it is way easier for me to come home. Hope this helps!

Great tips, thank you! Much more helpful than the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps “ crowd who lack either a sense of humor or compassion.

Some people really need to lighten up. Thanks again!! [emoji178]

Researching for possible future cruises and spending time on CC and also with fellow cruisers discussing cruising.

Great tips, thank you! Much more helpful than the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps “ crowd who lack either a sense of humor or compassion.

Don't let them get under your skin. Good for you for seeking out ways to soften your landing after having the time of your life visiting paradise one exotic port at a time. :ship::ship::ship:

Perhaps it is those who slump into depression after a cruise who need to lighten up. Sure, being back home may be less fun than cruising— but real life needs to be lived.

Sorry some missed the "light heartedness" of the thread.

I so can relate with you... I research future cruises, most I will never go on. Watch youtube videos, packing videos, ship review videos etc. Purchase small things to take on my next cruise (when ever that will be) One other big time consuming thing I do is work on scrapbooks. When we cruise, it is usually me and any number of my 5 kids. So I make scrapbooks of our trip. Everyone gives me the pics they took, different fun quotes, etc and I make the scrapbook. I then have them printed and who ever went on that trip gets it for Christmas. Everyone loves them and it sorta fills that feeling that I want to be on a ship.

I whine a lot to my husband...why is there no bread basket on the table, why do I have to make the bed? Where's the ice cream machine?

He whines back..Why do I have to cook? Why do I have to do dishes? Where's the ice cream machine?

Eventually I find the next adventure and start planning. Seems to be the only thing that works.

Even though it is very sad when the cruise comes to an end, and although it may have been a fabulous cruise, we are still ALWAYS missing our pets and cannot wait to go home to them. I know, a little weird, but that is how we feel.

We miss our pets, also. After our recent Alaska cruise, I had to immediately get on another plane to go to my daughter’s wedding shower. I really miss my cats and dogs.