Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Chris's birthday dinner. Just some olive oil, salt, and pepper with a huge steak. Good thing we're sharing! 

20210110_154428.thumb.jpg.bd668a0e7b86549071d044537c670794.jpg

Our dinner menu started with a glass of Dom. 

20210110_170829.thumb.jpg.f173294217a7b2e53fa12ebcccab717a.jpg

Then I threw the steak on the grill. About 3 minutes per side, more than usual, because it's frigid out and things cook slower. Then I cut it in half and gave the inside one more minute. That was plenty.

20210110_173142.thumb.jpg.05cd47a6c5eb0a6013a302398d5b89eb.jpg

Served with an Oregon red blend from Domaine Serene. Yum!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Chris's birthday dinner. Just some olive oil, salt, and pepper with a huge steak. Good thing we're sharing! 

20210110_154428.thumb.jpg.bd668a0e7b86549071d044537c670794.jpg

Our dinner menu started with a glass of Dom. 

20210110_170829.thumb.jpg.f173294217a7b2e53fa12ebcccab717a.jpg

Then I threw the steak on the grill. About 3 minutes per side, more than usual, because it's frigid out and things cook slower. Then I cut it in half and gave the inside one more minute. That was plenty.

20210110_173142.thumb.jpg.05cd47a6c5eb0a6013a302398d5b89eb.jpg

Served with an Oregon red blend from Domaine Serene. Yum!

Looks lovely JP. And happy birthday to Chris.

21 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Looks lovely JP. And happy birthday to Chris.

Thanks DW. As you predicted, we are really enjoying the Botanist gin. The current project is determining whether it goes best with regular tonic or light tonic. Jury is still out. More sampling is called for?

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP,  give Chris Happy Birthday wishes from me too.  Dinner looks great😃

Thanks Lois! Chris really appreciates all the wishes from the Coolers.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks DW. As you predicted, we are really enjoying the Botanist gin. The current project is determining whether it goes best with regular tonic or light tonic. Jury is still out. More sampling is called for?

Thanks Lois! Chris really appreciates all the wishes from the Coolers.

I got to try another new one this evening from the Isle of Harris  it was extremely good. Served with a wedge of pink grapefruit.

20210110_182739.jpg

• Like 4

JP,

OK, OK, your postings have demonstrated your abilities in the kitchen, and at the wet bar.  Accordingly, my DW & I have decided it is time to offer you a permanent position on our house staff:  Chef de cuisine for dinners 6 nights a week (Sundays off!), which will include shopping, preparation and clean up, and - of course, maintaining and executing the bar functions, as well as serving as sommelier & keeping up the cellars.  (OK, the wine racks in the basement garage.)  You'll be happy to know that this estimable position comes with a room in the woodshed/chicken establishment, which has previously been occupied by Mr. McGregor, our imaginary gardener & bee keeper.  This position offers a generous compensation package ($50 a day, plus the odd bottle of Old Weizenheimer now and then.)  Your aprons and chef's toque will of course be provided, minus the nominal dry cleaning charges.  We will naturally provide knives and sharpening.  We so look forward to engaging you in the position, and to scarfing down the lovely dishes and beverages which you are so obviously adept at preparing!!  Bon Appetite!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I  enjoy a G&T  but I’ve generally been in the Gordon's gin and whatever tonic is at hand camp. 

However a dinner guest on Friday bought me a bottle of Hendricks Midsummer Solstice, tried it on Saturday and Sunday with a regular tonic water and have to say it’s really very good. 

Maybe I’ve been missing out all these years.

• Like 1

My bit of joy for today and probably for the next year and a few months......Myster and I were booked on 2 cruises departing July 2021.  Vaccines are not plentiful here in Canada and although Myster may receive the vaccine before July 2021 it is looking unlikely that I will.  We dithered!  Last week we decided that we needed to change our booking.  This morning we are confirmed on the Grand Northern Europe Voyage departing May 2022.  As Colonel Guile (Jean-Claude Van Damme) in Street Fighter (1994) said..."I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up-river..... Now who wants to go home... and who wants to go with ME!"   😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

I  enjoy a G&T  but I’ve generally been in the Gordon's gin and whatever tonic is at hand camp. 

However a dinner guest on Friday bought me a bottle of Hendricks Midsummer Solstice, tried it on Saturday and Sunday with a regular tonic water and have to say it’s really very good. 

Maybe I’ve been missing out all these years.

The secret to G&T connoisseur-ship is the tonic, which comprises 3/4 or so of the mixture.  A lengthy discussion of G&Ts on the Azamara board [which is dominated by Brits] turned up many preferences among Gin but unanimous agreement that the best tonic is Fever-Tree.  And Fever-Tree has helpfully put together a chart that shows which flavo(u)r of tonic goes best with which Gin:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The secret to G&T connoisseur-ship is the tonic, which comprises 3/4 or so of the mixture.  A lengthy discussion of G&Ts on the Azamara board [which is dominated by Brits] turned up many preferences among Gin but unanimous agreement that the best tonic is Fever-Tree.  And Fever-Tree has helpfully put together a chart that shows which flavo(u)r of tonic goes best with which Gin:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

Awesome Jazz!  Thank You!

I don't remember exactly where that wheel is on their website, but just go to fevertree.com. They have enough information there to make your liver want to enroll in a witness protection program! You can search their database for all sorts of pairing recommendations. 

I do chuckle about 3/4 of the drink being tonic, however. I like mine with a little more punch, so I can taste the gin! 

Fentiman's or Q also make decent Indian tonic but you really can't beat the variety with fever tree. We have at least 4 varieties at home and keep adding more. The right tonic makes a huge difference, I agree. 

• Like 1

See if this works.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cXSpnwGA4Zus2eQeA

But experimentation is half the fun. Smell your gin and see what you think matches, then try it.

For instance I think elderflower and Nolet's (their recommendation) is not a great match. I prefer it with light tonic. Much like wine and food pairing, it's about what tastes good to you.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 9:05 AM, Lois R said:

Terry, if you are around, let us know you are ok!   I know tomorrow night your Buckeyes play!  I am rooting for Alabama but hope it is a good game!

Appreciate this above nice question and kind follow-up from Lois.  Doing fine.  BUT, needed on Dec. 30 to have a little "plumbing work" done with a stent, etc.  Got home Jan. 1 and celebrated watching our Ohio State college football team beat previous National Champion Clemson in the Sugar Bowl.  Our OSU does play tonight for the national title against number-one ranked Alabama.  Last night, watched and celebrate our Cleveland Browns thump Pittsburgh in the NFL play-offs.  

With the continued uncertainty as to when we can get back to traveling and exploring the world, it looks as if we will not be able to travel this winter for the first time since 2013.   Since early 2014, it has been a good, exciting stretch of major winter travel, including Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Amazon River, South Africa/Botswana, Panama Canal, SE Asia, South Pacific, etc.  BUT, we are saving our money, waiting to get our vaccine and hoping for good options being possible in either 2022 and/or 2023.

Still have lots of "funnies" and other items to be posting here at The Cooler during the coming weeks and months.  Just slowed down a bit over the holidays, etc., to relax some, catch up in other areas and focus on other priorities.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 232,060 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

1016497963_ScreenShot2021-01-11at5_27_34PM.thumb.png.81933318003df5b214cf1fa6bb4c80e7.png

• Like 1

Hi Terry, oh my goodness....so you were really out of commission!  Hope you are feeling better

and thanks for checking in with us!   Hope it is a good game tonight🙂