Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Bemused by that,  mysty,  until I realised that in the USA (and maybe Canada?) I think it is pronounced Van Go, whereas in the UK we tend to say Van Gogh.  Sorry, can't write that exactly as it is said, but sounds as if you have a problem with your throat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Bemused by that,  mysty,  until I realised that in the USA (and maybe Canada?) I think it is pronounced Van Go, whereas in the UK we tend to say Van Gogh.  Sorry, can't write that exactly as it is said, but sounds as if you have a problem with your throat.

I can imagine the pronunciation Lola with the aid of your very clear description.  😄

JP and TTS - I get some of the acronyms, but LAM is a new one on me.  Are we allowed to know what it means, or is it a bit rude.  Having a little peripheral medical knowledge, I have heard of NFN (UK only, I guess) which I suppose is not used any more now people can look at their notes.  There used to be some wonderful ones, now no doubt sent to the woke graveyard in the sky.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lincslady said:

JP and TTS - I get some of the acronyms, but LAM is a new one on me.  Are we allowed to know what it means, or is it a bit rude.  Having a little peripheral medical knowledge, I have heard of NFN (UK only, I guess) which I suppose is not used any more now people can look at their notes.

Sure, LAM is lymphangioleiomyomatosis. It's a pretty rare disease. I have seen a patient with it but never diagnosed it myself.

What's NFN? I know it here as "no first name"

The stuff that used to go into charts back in the day... One of my professors in med school told a story about one of his professors, who supposedly began a medical note with, "This 40-year-old product of a blighted ovum..."

Having never seen the note, I can't vouch for the story. But the professor to whom this note was attributed was a crotchety fellow and I certainly could believe it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The stuff that used to go into charts back in the day... One of my professors in med school told a story about one of his professors, who supposedly began a medical note with, "This 40-year-old product of a blighted ovum..."

Having never seen the note, I can't vouch for the story. But the professor to whom this note was attributed was a crotchety fellow and I certainly could believe it.

That "product of a blighted ovum" has now been entered into my vocabulary!  Kind of love it!  Thanks JP!  I promise to use it responsibly!  🤣

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mysty said:

That "product of a blighted ovum" has now been entered into my vocabulary!  Kind of love it!  Thanks JP!  I promise to use it responsibly!  🤣

I keep a word document of these bon mots and clever phrases I find on the internet - this has just been added to it.

A few of the more polite ones from my file:

XXX is clearly is on the hard of thinking side of the IQ median...

A modern snowflake would melt a little down their trousers if spoken to like that.

He is proof that there was too much radiation in the vegetable patch.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I keep a word document of these bon mots and clever phrases I find on the internet - this has just been added to it.

A few of the more polite ones from my file:

XXX is clearly is on the hard of thinking side of the IQ median...

A modern snowflake would melt a little down their trousers if spoken to like that.

He is proof that there was too much radiation in the vegetable patch.

Thanks Steve!  More witticisms have been added to the arsenal.  🤣 

And credit Sir Winston Churchill:  (one of my favorites....) 

There is nothing more exhilerating than being shot at without result.

And - author unknown:   It is a burden being able to control situations with  my hypervigilance, but it is my lot in life.

And for JP -- Too much emergency medicine prevents natural selection.

And finally:   I have the right to remain silent, but not the ability.

☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When did you decide to start doing that sort of thing???  🤣

Ouch!   I have been known to behave responsibly!  Not recently but that's neither here nor there! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dusababy said:

And credit Sir Winston Churchill:  (one of my favorites....) 

There is nothing more exhilerating than being shot at without result.

Two more from that gentleman that I have used to cope with life, etc

"If you're going through hell, keep going."  

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Although I wish I could disagree with the 2nd one, the recent decade has made it harder to do so. 

• Like 3