Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Screenshot_20210521-211857_Gallery.thumb.jpg.778bf8f5edad92cc22e60b06f790554b.jpg

Shrimp from last night. The sauce was tasty. Red peppers and onions cooked in olive oil with paprika, cumin, and a dash of cayenne pepper. 

Making progress on our wine cellar! This stone archway leading into the wine storage area is going to look amazing when it's finished.

20210521_165835.thumb.jpg.c843f6c9f2e6babb1fa34c1dee067d86.jpg

Hopefully a month or so to go on the project.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

zqtchas, I know you like your Sauv Blanc, so wanted to let you know we found this gem at Costco in San Diego today for $7.99!  It landed on Wine Spectator’s Top 100 of the year list @ #21.  It’s a remarkable wine for the price.

ABC3882D-64A3-42D5-BFE6-AAAAC896E6BC.jpeg

Thanks, will check out soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zqtchas said:

you are just too smart for me!❤️

I'm not too smart for you Chas!  You are too modest! 😊

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is somebody going to give away the answer, for us duffers?  😉

I won't reveal until Chas gives me the all clear to reveal!  Will not spoil his fun!  😊

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

zqtchas, I know you like your Sauv Blanc, so wanted to let you know we found this gem at Costco in San Diego today for $7.99!  It landed on Wine Spectator’s Top 100 of the year list @ #21.  It’s a remarkable wine for the price.

We really enjoy Joel Gott wine here.  Not quite offered at the same price here as you are enjoying.  And our access to wines is governed by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.   If we find something we like we go for it.

• Thanks 1

Finally - feeling a bit more comfortable with planning. Between a God-awful work schedule starting next month, and the pandemic, I had lost all hope of ever traveling again...

We are taking some time later this month and into early June (it was supposed to be our SS Med cruise) to fly out west. We plan to re-explore some NPs in Utah, and then we will drive further afield and try a few new places too, eventually making our way to Oregon for Crater Lake and some wine tasting in the Willamette Valley.

Yesterday though, we booked a cruise on Ponant to make up for the one that was canceled in November of last year. Not nearly as exotic as the canceled trip but it's a week of cruising around Corsica. Should be fun, and some beautiful landscapes too. Between the deposit from that November 2020 cruise, and the added 20% bonus that they gave us because of the cancellation, it's almost completely paid for.

It is a surreal feeling to open up the Delta app on my cell phone and actually see some flights scheduled! Can't wait to get back to traveling again.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

This had become a staple in my house.  My Costco doesn't carry it, but it's under $11 at Total Wine.  The Joel Gott Unoaked Chardonnay is also quite delightful.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 3

Got it, but I was miserable for a few minutes there 😉 Focus on the 4 is a good hint.  A bottle of Joel Gott may also help illuminate the answer.

Been busy setting up a trip for wife & I to visit Iowa to see some long lost relatives there, joined by my daughter who lives in Chicago with husband and 3 beautiful granddaughters.  Haven't seen daughter & family in for more than a year.  But I agree, it

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

is a surreal feeling to open up the Delta app on my cell phone and actually see some flights scheduled! Can't wait to get back to traveling again.

Hope the flights I've booked are indeed a go.

Years ago, my Mom used to load us 3 boys up in the station wagon and drive us out to her home state every summer when growing up.  Will be good to be there again for a few days.

DW seems to be having fun telling her friends that husband is finally setting up a trip...(pregnant pause)... to IOWA!  Can you imagine?  Do I detect sarcasm there?

Edited by QueSeraSera
grammar
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Got it, but I was miserable for a few minutes there 😉 Focus on the 4 is a good hint.  A bottle of Joel Gott may also help illuminate the answer.

Been busy setting up a trip for wife & I to visit Iowa to see some long lost relatives there, joined by my daughter who lives in Chicago with husband and 3 beautiful granddaughters.  Haven't seen daughter & family in for more than a year.  But I agree, it

Hope the flights I've booked are indeed a go.

Years ago, my Mom used to load us 3 boys up in the station wagon and drive us out to her home state every summer when growing up.  Will be good to be there again for a few days.

DW seems to be having fun telling her friends that husband is finally setting up a trip...(pregnant pause)... to IOWA!  Can you imagine?  Do I detect sarcasm there?

Good job Que!   I was hoping the hint was helpful but not a dead giveaway!  And more awesome that you are planning a trip!  Have an awesome time! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Finally - feeling a bit more comfortable with planning. Between a God-awful work schedule starting next month, and the pandemic, I had lost all hope of ever traveling again...

We are taking some time later this month and into early June (it was supposed to be our SS Med cruise) to fly out west. We plan to re-explore some NPs in Utah, and then we will drive further afield and try a few new places too, eventually making our way to Oregon for Crater Lake and some wine tasting in the Willamette Valley.

Yesterday though, we booked a cruise on Ponant to make up for the one that was canceled in November of last year. Not nearly as exotic as the canceled trip but it's a week of cruising around Corsica. Should be fun, and some beautiful landscapes too. Between the deposit from that November 2020 cruise, and the added 20% bonus that they gave us because of the cancellation, it's almost completely paid for.

It is a surreal feeling to open up the Delta app on my cell phone and actually see some flights scheduled! Can't wait to get back to traveling again.

We did the NP's in Sept. 2019 when Covid was not even a thought. This is a pic of Bryce Canyon. I am no photographer and used my iPhone for this pic. It is truly breathtaking and exceeded my expectations. You should also realize that the West has won with tourism this Summer. It could be very hot and extremely crowded. Here in my mountain ski town we are expecting a record in tourism. Make your reservations early. 

D34D1B85-8F54-4B2C-8241-7E889E3D85FC_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

You should also realize that the West has won with tourism this Summer. It could be very hot and extremely crowded. Here in my mountain ski town we are expecting a record in tourism. Make your reservations early. 

Definitely wise words and thanks for the heads up. The Southwest is a spectacular destination and there is so much to see! We have been out here a number of times and it always draws us back. Plus, we have both recently completed a jogging series on our iFit treadmill that did a bunch of trails in Bryce...which reminded us how beautiful it is out there, and in part, cemented our desire to plan this trip.

Luckily we've done all 5 Utah NPs on past trips, so if they are crowded we can head to the (maybe) less-popular state parks and hopefully find other destinations off the beaten path. Chris has backup plans everywhere and we did manage to make hotel reservations so I think we are as set as we can be. In retrospect we only started planning this trip 3 weeks ago so we were fortunate that lodging reservations were still available!

We leave in a week, so with a bit of luck, and with kids still being in school, we hope to miss the absolute peak tourist season. But these are unprecedented times and who knows. As an example, a few days ago we tried to make a dinner reservation at a favorite restaurant in Moab for a weeknight, two weeks in advance, and the only time slot they had left was 9:45 PM. Guess we won't be up early for hiking the next morning... 😉 Maybe this will be a relaxing trip!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

We had a barbeque today with 10 friends – all fully vaxxed and no masks, it felt so normal!  [Made sure I had lots of alcohol, to sanitize my mouth and esophagus against virus particles, you know – no other reason 😉]

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Got some news that will have JP shaking his head. 

I like powerful cars having owned a TVR, V8 XK Jag etc. And I know JP was impressed with the TVR some while ago and likes his Audis. 

Well, I've just ordered a new car. A Skoda Superb Estate (wagon) with  1.4 petrol engine and rechargeable 80 kW battery. It's a plug-in hybrid with max 212 bhp! 

I'm sorry, JP, I've let the "fast medic" team down with this one😟

• Haha 1