Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just thought I would say hello.  JP and Que, both trips sound like fun adventures🙂. I am betting after being home for so long everyone will have a great time.

I go to Chicago next month with 3 friends🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

How  true.  One of the reasons our Lotus Elan spends its time in the garage these days.

Lola

That would so much be Myster!  He's 6'3".  And he doesn't fold well anymore!  🤣

• Like 1

I've owned some fairly exotic and powerful cars over the years but in 2010 we decided to downsize and bought the first generation VW Golf R.  It was, quite simply, the best all-round car I've ever owned.  In 2017 we bought the second generation and two weeks ago we bought our third Golf R, the Mk8.  It has a 4 cylinder, 2 litre engine, develops 320bhp, has all-wheel drive, great fuel economy etc etc.  It's discreet, a bit of a Q car, and it's all the car you ever need.  Like JP, I am quite sympathetic to the idea of an all-electric car but not until they become a practical proposition.   

IMG_1395.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I've owned some fairly exotic and powerful cars over the years but in 2010 we decided to downsize and bought the first generation VW Golf R.  It was, quite simply, the best all-round car I've ever owned.  In 2017 we bought the second generation and two weeks ago we bought our third Golf R, the Mk8.  It has a 4 cylinder, 2 litre engine, develops 320bhp, has all-wheel drive, great fuel economy etc etc.  It's discreet, a bit of a Q car, and it's all the car you ever need.  Like JP, I am quite sympathetic to the idea of an all-electric car but not until they become a practical proposition.   

IMG_1395.jpg

Luv the car Fletcher !!! But wow where Is the background???

• Like 1

The very car my son - a production engineer who  worked until recently  on Formula 1 cars  - has been trying to persuade me to buy for some time.  So I reckon it must be pretty good.

And, yes, a lovely setting.

Lola

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

JP you are going to love Corsica.  If you get to Calvi, there is a wonderful store called Annie Traiteur which has all kinds of interesting things.  Plus it is visually appealing.

Thank you! We do stop in Calvi. I just looked at their website and got all Pavlovian... The store is marked in my Google Maps now, and we will definitely pay a visit 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Luv the car Fletcher !!! But wow where Is the background???

It's Erwarton Hall in Suffolk.   The gatehouse is Grade I listed, the Hall is Grade II* listed and dates from the Tudor period.  In fact it was owned by Anne Boleyn's uncle and she is said to have stayed there many times in her childhood.  BTW, a new drama series about Ms Boleyn is about to start on British TV starring a black actress.   Amazing.  Let's hope a new drama series about Martin Luther King can star a white man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

It's Erwarton Hall in Suffolk.   The gatehouse is Grade I listed, the Hall is Grade II* listed and dates from the Tudor period.  In fact it was owned by Anne Boleyn's uncle and she is said to have stayed there many times in her childhood.  BTW, a new drama series about Ms Boleyn is about to start on British TV starring a black actress.   Amazing.  Let's hope a new drama series about Martin Luther King can star a white man.

Just looked it up Fletcher ..very interesting..about 3 1/2 hours from Bath but maybe worth a trip with overnight stay 🛏️  You are always so interesting on this site ( I remember posting about Harry's bar in Venice and being shot down in flames ..lol) 

You have experienced so many amazing places ... Keep up the travel as long as you can ...🚢🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Chinook, Flying Fish, Needlefish, Grouper, Roughy, Goldfish, Trout, Silverfish, Sucker, Cod, Sturgeon.  Makes me hungry!!  

I am having fish tonight!🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

the only fish we knew about was tuna fish!

Tuna yes, but surely you had fish sticks 🙂  but of course that is not a fish...

As I understand it, non sequiturs are OK here so:

Just finished reading The Remains of the Day by K Ishiguro, somehow I missed this & the film 30 some years ago.  Humbling for this American.  Is the film any good?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Tuna yes, but surely you had fish sticks 🙂  but of course that is not a fish...

As I understand it, non sequiturs are OK here so:

Just finished reading The Remains of the Day by K Ishiguro, somehow I missed this & the film 30 some years ago.  Humbling for this American.  Is the film any good?

Thankfully I was spared fish sticks.  My mother also knew about salmon – as long as it came in cans...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thankfully I was spared fish sticks.  My mother also knew about salmon – as long as it came in cans...

I liked fish sticks as a child. My Mom made salmon patties from that canned stuff. The canned version had that gray skin and those bones in it  UGH!

• Haha 2