Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

6 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I liked fish sticks as a child. My Mom made salmon patties from that canned stuff. The canned version had that gray skin and those bones in it  UGH!

My mom did the same thing.........she called them salmon croquettes.  I just call them a salmon burger now🙂.

• Like 1

QSS - I remember when the movie came out with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, but never saw it either. Quite the cast - didn't realize that Christopher Reeve was in it too. Let me know if it's good.

No fish tonight for me, though we did have tuna sandwiches for lunch. I found a new pork chop recipe that called for fresh herbs. Since we'll soon be away for two weeks I didn't feel bad harvesting a few good-sized sprigs of fresh herbs from the garden. The plants will soon have time to recover nicely.

Basically take two thick chops and coat with salt and pepper, then sear in a neutral oil. Once up to rare, turn down the heat and melt a bunch of butter in the pan, add fresh herbs and lots of garlic. Baste the chops with the herb butter until they are done, then rest in the skillet for a bit while the rest of dinner finishes cooking.

20210525_181427.thumb.jpg.45d14de6325a2620a59d464d694f7bd7.jpg

I served the chops with sweet potato fries. And yes, I poured every last bit of the herbed butter over the finished dish. We both did some running on the treadmill before dinner, and had plenty of red wine to compensate. Not up to the QSS serving yet, but close.

If anyone is interested in the recipe, here is a link.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/herb-basted-pork-chops

Very much recommended. I used regular-sized chops of about 8oz each, so they were thinner, and I had to cut the cooking time roughly in half. This recipe would be spectacular with Berkshire Heritage chops from Fred the Butcher, as those weigh about a pound each, and are nicely marbled.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 5

As I got older I realized how much better fresh salmon is🙂 but to be honest, I still like the canned....does that make me really bad?😲......I crack an egg and add a bunch seasonings.......some mayo and bread crumbs....they look like a burger.....and melt some cheese on top too.

WOW...JP, those sound and look delicious.🙂......I baked a piece of cobia and had a side of quinoa. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I liked fish sticks as a child. My Mom made salmon patties from that canned stuff. The canned version had that gray skin and those bones in it  UGH!

Those bones contain calcium, which is probably helping your bone density now.  😀

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Our annual pets are back in Colorado. My stone masons were putting in our new patio and this one decided to come down the steps to greet them.

That's a great picture!  Bears look so intelligent to me.  But no stone masons, hope they return to finish the job 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

What a gorgeous brown coat on that black bear!

Yes, they call them Cinnamon's. Of course you already knew that. My Mexican stone masons had never seen a bear and although nervous they had their cell phones out taking photos. I opened the patio door for them in case Mr or Mrs Cinnamon decided they looked good for lunch.

I actually had one enter my other home here about 20 years ago. It came thru the kitchen window and my exhusband and the housekeeper took a chair to get it out of the house. The gardeners saw it and they all left for the day LOL! 

Mountain living is great.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, they call them Cinnamon's. Of course you already knew that. My Mexican stone masons had never seen a bear and although nervous they had their cell phones out taking photos. I opened the patio door for them in case Mr or Mrs Cinnamon decided they looked good for lunch.

I actually had one enter my other home here about 20 years ago. It came thru the kitchen window and my exhusband and the housekeeper took a chair to get it out of the house. The gardeners saw it and they all left for the day LOL! 

Mountain living is great.

Where is zg ?  Near Stumble?

Edited by zqtchas

11 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Where is zg ?  Near Stumble?

Not sure where Stumble is? I'll be he knows what it stands for.

ZG stands for Aspen CO / Pitkin County. The first license plates here (years ago) all started with ZG. I am a 25 year transplant so do not have one. However, they are a real collectors item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

ZG stands for Aspen CO / Pitkin County. The first license plates here (years ago) all started with ZG. I am a 25 year transplant so do not have one. However, they are a real collectors item.

never knew that. I learned to ski on old Buttermilk in the 80's. never could master Ajax.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

never knew that. I learned to ski on old Buttermilk in the 80's. never could master Ajax.

DH is an expert skier and loves the bumps on Ajax. I, however, feel like I need body armor when everybody is zipping past me. Yikes, it scares me.

We recently moved to a new home on the ski run In Snowmass. Something for everyone and not as crowded as Ajax. A good Covid purchase, with a huge remodel going on now. I love our property, our neighborhood, and our "pets". Deer, bear, coyotes, and fox always wandering thru our property. It is much more peaceful than living in downtown Aspen. Privacy is so important to us.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

ZG stands for Aspen CO / Pitkin County. The first license plates here (years ago) all started with ZG. 

I’m a 22-year transplant in Jeffco.  I have never even heard of these old alpha license plate codes until today.  Heck, I had no idea what Chas was even asking about! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m a 22-year transplant in Jeffco.  I have never even heard of these old alpha license plate codes until today.  Heck, I had no idea what Chas was even asking about! 😁

You do however know about Bears  and snow 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

However if you ever get to Switzerland, Zug is one of the 26 cantons that make up the Confederation Helvetica.

Number plates are prefixed with ZG. 

iu-6.jpeg.0330dd21a56ae5f7f3843185829d3bfb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

can you guess what sit-com group this is?

not including the person in the middle with the red sweater.

image.jpeg

FRASIER.....loved that show😃