Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 minutes ago, Bluebelle14 said:

Thanks, Lois, but I don't know how to find the thread.

Scroll down about 3 threads.........it is called "The New Moon---Adventures in Greece".

Inuk leader and former ambassador Mary Simon has been chosen as the next governor general — the first Indigenous person ever to be appointed the Queen's representative to Canada.  Excellent choice!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gg-mary-simon-1.6091376?fbclid=IwAR0qNA3gWUTYrmwr5pXMsR0IQJL6TTQgAscbnjo1k5B644hcRFgpBaRnlW4

• Like 3

@QueSeraSera Yum - fries! I would be distracted too. Tasty food will get me any time.

Saturday I made chicken Dijon, bone-in chicken thighs with crispy skin and a nice mustardy sauce served over rice. Had to use sour cream instead of crème fraîche in the sauce,, but wasn't too bad.

20210703_180950.thumb.jpg.792234961a7d29db28c750bd26fafd61.jpg

Yesterday we grilled shrimp and served it with grilled vegetables. Kind of like a deconstructed shrimp skewer. I made a garlicky herb sauce with parsley and chives from the garden. It went well with a Viogner-Grillo blend from Sicily. This is a delicious summer white but has some heft to it so it could go with heavier dishes as well.

20210705_172041.thumb.jpg.f22cf606b4028160f22bff392af5cfad.jpg

Tonight was ground pork patties with fresh rosemary over egg noodles. An Italian Gewürztraminer from Alto Adige matched well.

20210706_183157.thumb.jpg.127a0a76c1e3906da1dc0b7d5aa13b51.jpg

So much for the run that I did before dinner. Oh well, may as well burn some calories in order to enjoy ingesting more!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 5

Well, for my birthday (July 4th), I procured an 8# rolled pork butt, gave it a rub, and deposited it in my Cookshack smoker (made by good ole boys in Oklahoma, by cracky!) at 11pm on the 3rd (with three chunks of hickory), and slow smoked it overnight for total 16.5 hours at 215 F.  Meanwhile, I made my traditional 4th pink potato salad (mayo based, with lots of extraneous veggies - the pickled beets make it pink), daughter made a spicy hot slaw, I made a bean salad, she made birfday cupcakes for me, and we had a lovely dinner in the lovely Oregon cool evening air.  All was washed down with Oregon Pinot Gris, Washington Rose, and Spanish Red, after dear daughter made Paloma's for pre-dinner tipples.  A splendid time was had by all.  

IMG_5485.JPG

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Well, for my birthday (July 4th), I procured an 8# rolled pork butt, gave it a rub, and deposited it in my Cookshack smoker (made by good ole boys in Oklahoma, by cracky!) at 11pm on the 3rd (with three chunks of hickory), and slow smoked it overnight for total 16.5 hours at 215 F.  Meanwhile, I made my traditional 4th pink potato salad (mayo based, with lots of extraneous veggies - the pickled beets make it pink), daughter made a spicy hot slaw, I made a bean salad, she made birfday cupcakes for me, and we had a lovely dinner in the lovely Oregon cool evening air.  All was washed down with Oregon Pinot Gris, Washington Rose, and Spanish Red, after dear daughter made Paloma's for pre-dinner tipples.  A splendid time was had by all.  

IMG_5485.JPG

Belated Happy Birthday WWFT!  Wonderful meal!

1 hour ago, mysty said:

@rojaan19 We seem to share a sense of humour.  I think we would have great fun on a cruise together!

Having spent a delightful evening with Ann and Ron three years ago in Melbourne, Chris and I can confirm that they are excellent company and that they would be wonderful cruising companions. Hoping to meet up with them again for a longer interval!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mysty said:

@rojaan19 We seem to share a sense of humour.  I think we would have great fun on a cruise together! 

As JP has attested below, yes you would.  The fun never ends!

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Having spent a delightful evening with Ann and Ron three years ago in Melbourne, Chris and I can confirm that they are excellent company and that they would be wonderful cruising companions. Hoping to meet up with them again for a longer interval!

Fingers still crossed that they’ll be able to join us in Singapore in February!

• Like 2

We certainly hope to be in Singapore in February.But I swing from hope to despair.Hope has returned as the Government has talked about having a vaccine passport by years end.Just hope that means we will be let out.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, drron29 said:

We certainly hope to be in Singapore in February.But I swing from hope to despair.Hope has returned as the Government has talked about having a vaccine passport by years end.Just hope that means we will be let out.

Our fingers our crossed, and Silver Queen is even crossing her toes in support!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

Totally understand your feelings of hope then despair. When it is even risky to try to visit different States with regards quarantining and lockdowns it is hard to plan any holiday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mysty said:

@rojaan19 We seem to share a sense of humour.  I think we would have great fun on a cruise together!  We may even consider bringing our dear lads! 😁

That would be great mysty !!   I am  really hanging out for a cruise  !  But meanwhile  here is a photo of tonights wine  and the glass I usually drink out of  😉  You can  drown  your sorrow with one glass.

The wine glass is from IKEA  it holds  500mls  😁  - those swedes know how to  drink   !!  Cheers

20210708_165500.jpg

So as you can  see Mysty your T shirt posting was very appropriate !!

Edited by rojaan19
typo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Totally understand your feelings of hope then despair. When it is even risky to try to visit different States with regards quarantining and lockdowns it is hard to plan any holiday.

We planned a road trip to North Queensland and we’re lucky that NSW and Queensland opened their borders to Victorians only a few days later than we had planned. We had just about given up and had cancelled our NSW accommodation.  We quickly rebooked and took off. 
We had one scare when Magnetic Island was declared a red COVID area the morning we left. We called and had a covid test which was negative. 
Now at Mission Beach till the end of the month and hoping to get home in August without lockdowns or self isolation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jillyf said:

We planned a road trip to North Queensland and we’re lucky that NSW and Queensland opened their borders to Victorians only a few days later than we had planned. We had just about given up and had cancelled our NSW accommodation.  We quickly rebooked and took off. 
We had one scare when Magnetic Island was declared a red COVID area the morning we left. We called and had a covid test which was negative. 
Now at Mission Beach till the end of the month and hoping to get home in August without lockdowns or self isolation. 

Have a great vacation. I haven't been to Mission Beach for years but I liked the "vibe" 😄.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

That would be great mysty !!   I am  really hanging out for a cruise  !  But meanwhile  here is a photo of tonights wine  and the glass I usually drink out of  😉  You can  drown  your sorrow with one glass.

The wine glass is from IKEA  it holds  500mls  😁  - those swedes know how to  drink   !!  Cheers

20210708_165500.jpg

So as you can  see Mysty your T shirt posting was very appropriate !!

Love your choice of wine, except for the "low" part.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1