dress code in MDR on summit - question about "tank tops"

515seaturtle

So it says no "tank tops" in the main dining room. This is my first cruise and I'm wondering how strict that is? I was planning to bring some sleeveless tops (one is a sweater, one is silk) to pair with a skirt. Is this not allowed? Too close to a "tank top"?

Also, we have two boys who are 9 and 6 - are shorts not allowed for kids either? I wasn't really planning to pack enough pants for more than the two formal nights and they will inevitably spill or wipe their hands on them at some point so rewearing them multiple nights isn't a great option.

Thanks for answering my "newbie" questions!

Long pants ...no shorts..esp for a 9 yr old..pick up a pair or two of khakis for them...

Just put a shawl or sweater over your tank if you think it looks too beachy... it'll be cool around the ship anyhow

But main thrust is no mens tank top style tees

I was allowed to wear my tank tops but hubby was sent away when he attempted to wear a sleeveless top. I think women tanks or sleeveless are okay for the most part, but not for men.

You may have different results as things may have changed, but I've found this to be the case on more than one cruise line:)

By tank tops, they mean those cotton sleeveless t-shirts that are sometimes referred to as 'wife beaters.' Women are allowed to wear sleeveless tops. I second bringing a shawl or cardigan in case the MDR and theater are too cool for your taste.

Shorts aren't allowed in the MDR after 6 p.m. The dress code makes no exceptions for age. Some Maitre D's make exceptions on the first night, since some passengers may not get their luggage in time for dinner. Also some may allow the young boys, but I wouldn't count on it. I would bring a few lightweight long pants that can be spot cleaned in your cabin. There is also laundry service.

Thanks, this is what I was assuming. The sleeveless tops I want to bring are certainly dressy and not at all revealing or low-cut which I assume is what the rule tries to combat - I have packed several cardigans to combat the AC.

And I'll just pack a few pairs of pants each for the boys and spot wash them if necessary. Their sport coats are all ready!

So it says no "tank tops" in the main dining room. This is my first cruise and I'm wondering how strict that is? I was planning to bring some sleeveless tops (one is a sweater, one is silk) to pair with a skirt. Is this not allowed? Too close to a "tank top"?

Also, we have two boys who are 9 and 6 - are shorts not allowed for kids either? I wasn't really planning to pack enough pants for more than the two formal nights and they will inevitably spill or wipe their hands on them at some point so rewearing them multiple nights isn't a great option.

Thanks for answering my "newbie" questions!

Welcome to CC. Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. Now it's called evening chic. Celebrity's website gives the definition. Lots of options. Since your boys aren't toddlers shorts in the evening aren't allowed. I have seen young boys turned away from entering the MDR in the evening wearing shorts. During breakfast and lunch no problem. Plenty of napkins in the MDR so no need for them to wipe their hands on their pants. Celebrity also offers a laundry service.

Thanks, this is what I was assuming. The sleeveless tops I want to bring are certainly dressy and not at all revealing or low-cut which I assume is what the rule tries to combat - I have packed several cardigans to combat the AC.

And I'll just pack a few pairs of pants each for the boys and spot wash them if necessary. Their sport coats are all ready!

Just an fyi, sport coats aren't necessary for the guys, even on elegant chic nights...in case you're needing room in the luggage for the pants! Have fun on the cruise!!

There is no need for sports coats for your boys, or your husband for that matter. Button down shirts are fine for chic nights,and polos are OK other than chic night. If they just want to wear sport coats, that's fine. Just wanted to let you know it;s not necessary.

I'm pretty sure that's for men, not women. In reality I've seen very little enforcement in the last couple of years.

There is no need for sports coats for your boys, or your husband for that matter. Button down shirts are fine for chic nights,and polos are OK other than chic night. If they just want to wear sport coats, that's fine. Just wanted to let you know it;s not necessary.

Sorry but polo shirts are acceptable on Elegant chic nights in all restaurants. After 8 cruises including 3 when Formal nights were in vogue I have always worn polo shirts on "elegant Chic nights and will again do so on our coming 3 cruises. If that offends anybody they best get used to it

Don’t forget about the Hawaiian shirts! Hawaiian shirts are acceptable for chic nights and are also worn on casual nights. They are gaining wide acceptance with cruisers due to their comfort and functionality. Your husband and your sons should get a couple for the cruise.

Tank tops are not OK for men because no one wants to see your hairy armpits in the dining room. Tank tops are allowed for women because most shave their armpits. For women who do not shave their armpits, the armpits must be braided in order to wear a tank top. ;p

Don’t forget about the Hawaiian shirts! Hawaiian shirts are acceptable for chic nights and are also worn on casual nights. They are gaining wide acceptance with cruisers due to their comfort and functionality. Your husband and your sons should get a couple for the cruise.

And get ones that allow your kids to make a statement.

I routinely wear nice tank tops and sleeveless tops to dinner in the MDR, as do many other women. I agree with the other posters that the “no tank tops” rule is mainly aimed at men, though I have seen a woman turned away for wearing a quite revealing tank top that was covered with extremely vulgar phrases. I’m not sure which of these was deemed inappropriate;) I pack large, lightweight scarves to use as wraps because it can be rather cold under the AC vents. I prefer scarves because cardigans and pashminas weigh more and require more luggage space (and I’d rather have the space for shoes, lol).

Tank tops are not OK for men because no one wants to see your hairy armpits in the dining room. Tank tops are allowed for women because most shave their armpits. For women who do not shave their armpits, the armpits must be braided in order to wear a tank top. ;p

Yup, nobody wants to look at those hairy bird nests:rolleyes: As to the braided AP hair, I remember a spoof of Rapunzel where the prince said to lower your "Golden Hair". When he climbed up, he saw she was still getting ready to lower her hair & had in fact scaled up using her AP hair:')

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Agree that women wearing tank tops should not be an issue, especially the type you describe.

You've heard about what the 'rules' are. You will find that Celebrity is consistently inconsistent with how they enforce their dress codes. Sometimes people are able to enter the dining room wearing just about anything (I've seen shorts, hiking pants, hiking boots, t-shirts, sweatshirts, workout wear, you name it). But in general the guidelines are enforced and to avoid confrontation and being turned away, I recommend you adhere to the code for both you and your children. My son absolutely loved dressing up like an adult and being treated as such by the wait staff. He cruised with us since he was 3 (he is 32 now)

Welcome to CC. Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. Now it's called evening chic. Celebrity's website gives the definition. Lots of options. Since your boys aren't toddlers shorts in the evening aren't allowed. I have seen young boys turned away from entering the MDR in the evening wearing shorts. During breakfast and lunch no problem. Plenty of napkins in the MDR so no need for them to wipe their hands on their pants. Celebrity also offers a laundry service.

For evenings my partner and I used to pack suits and Tuxes but now we go with Country Club casual and it works just fine. It takes us anywhere we want to go. That being said I think a woman in a nice sleeveless top is great but not for men.

On the Summit last August, my DH wore a man’s tank top in Blu at breakfast. He was asked, nicely, to please change his shirt. He did change his shirt and life, and breakfast, resumed.

If changing a tank top to a t shirt(or similar)changed his "life", you need to get him out a little more;)