Has anyone ever left a cruise at Punta Renas, Coata Rica?

a7ftrplt

I've booked a 15-day Panama Canal cruise (FLD to LA) with Princess in Dec 2019 for a group. It looks to be a great experience and we're all very excited. A couple of the group might have to leave mid-cruise to return to the US so I'm looking for info from anyone who has done it. The Princess itinerary shows a stop after the canal transit at Punta Renas, Costa Rica, which seems to be the best choice: easy access to San Jose Airport with plenty of flights back to the US. But things are often not as easy as they appear. If anyone has useful info that might help us with this plan, please share. Thanks.

Edited by a7ftrplt
Typos

You can't simply decide on the fly to leave a cruise early. Permission must be granted by the cruise line in advance, as arrangements for customs/immigration inspection by the Costa Rica authorities must be made. And once the request is approved you are committed--the manifest will have been prepared and submitted without your return to the USA at the end. A cruise ship is not a commuter train for which you can choose to disembark where you wish. If you try to take your luggage off at an intermediate port with no one scheduled for disembarkation you can find yourself held and returned to the ship if the above arrangements were not made in advance.

Punta Arenas is a fairly remote port with limited infrastructure beyond a dock for assembling ship's tours. Transfer to the airport (again, if approved) would be at your own arrangement and expense. You would have to leave the ship immediately upon arrival--and don't expect assistance with your luggage from Princess.

I've booked a 15-day Panama Canal cruise (FLD to LA) with Princess in Dec 2019 for a group. It looks to be a great experience and we're all very excited. A couple of the group might have to leave mid-cruise to return to the US so I'm looking for info from anyone who has done it. The Princess itinerary shows a stop after the canal transit at Punta Renas, Costa Rica, which seems to be the best choice: easy access to San Jose Airport with plenty of flights back to the US. But things are often not as easy as they appear. If anyone has useful info that might help us with this plan, please share. Thanks.

I think you mean Punta Arenas.

You indicate that the couple might "have to leave mid-cruise". That doesn't make sense.

Are you implying that there might be a medical emergency with the couple? Or, that some emergency at home might require that they return? I seriously doubt that any special consideration would be made for people who think that they might have to leave, but then again, they might not have to leave.

Please clarify.

Fishywood is correct, you just don't walk all with all your luggage and board a rapidly arranged flight from a foreign country. If that situation could be that serious, then that couple should not be on the ship.

Jim

You indicate that the couple might "have to leave mid-cruise". That doesn't make sense.

Are you implying that there might be a medical emergency with the couple? Or, that some emergency at home might require that they return? I seriously doubt that any special consideration would be made for people who think that they might have to leave, but then again, they might not have to leave.

Please clarify.

Fishywood is correct, you just don't walk all with all your luggage and board a rapidly arranged flight from a foreign country. If that situation could be that serious, then that couple should not be on the ship.

Jim

Good point - they need to fish or cut bait in advance - and not think you can wake up one morning and get off.

Making an assumption that this is a closed loop cruise, in which case the cruise line is likely to deny permission for you to leave the ship, because it impacts all the other passengers when they return to the original port.

Making an assumption that this is a closed loop cruise, in which case the cruise line is likely to deny permission for you to leave the ship, because it impacts all the other passengers when they return to the original port.

if you read the first line in their post will tell you it is NOT a closed loop cruise :rolleyes:

In any case they need written permission in advance to leave the cruise early exception are if a medical emergency occurs while on the ship

Very bad assumption as the OP stated in his first line that it was a

Fld to LA cruise. Helps to read the post

I know you can't just decide to jump off at any port along the way. I'm aware it is an unusual request for Princess with ultimate approval coming from the Costa Rican authorities. And I know all preparation and costs incurred by a mid-cruise disembarkation are on me. Without going into details, it's about children and shared custody over the Holidays and not a predicted medical emergency. So, I'm still looking for help from anyone that's actually done it at Puntarenas. Thanks.

It is highly unlikely that Princess, or any other cruise line, will not assist any passenger that wishes to depart the cruise early.

By sending a written request in advance, the cruise line can make the necessary arrangements with the local authorities. They may levy a fee for providing this service. They will also not provide any rebate of the cruise fare for the unused days.

The ship's local agent may also assist in scheduling a taxi for transport to the airport, which would be at the passenger's expense.

The province is Puntarenas, which is a compressed wording of the city/town where the cruise dock is located, i.e., Punta Arenas (Sand Point).

Cite a link.

Wiki and several other sites say it is one word including itineraries by various cruise lines.

The province is Puntarenas, which is a compressed wording of the city/town where the cruise dock is located, i.e., Punta Arenas (Sand Point).
I believe it's "Sandy Point" in Punta Arenas, which is in Chile, not CR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk