Hurricane cancelations!

Taking a Southern Caribbean cruise soon and was wondering what would likely happen if most of the ports of call we are scheduled to visit get struck by a serious storm?

As long as your port of embarkation and/or dismebarkation is not being hit by a serious storm, your itinerary may need to be changed to avoid the storm.

Just the chance you take when you cruise to the Caribbean this time of year ....

As long as your port of embarkation and/or dismebarkation is not being hit by a serious storm, your itinerary may need to be changed to avoid the storm.

Just the chance you take when you cruise to the Caribbean this time of year ....

yeah, i plan on taking the Breakaway on her 15day re-positioning cruise on oct 27 from ny to the Caribbean to new orleans.

Hurricane season lasts till the end of Nov :o

Has anyone had any luck with or heard of NCl allowing people to book a change their cruise to a different one offered at the same time and apply their paid balance to such cruise instead of staying on the initial cruise that has had its itenerary changed as a result of a hurricane?

Has anyone had any luck with or heard of NCl allowing people to book a change their cruise to a different one offered at the same time and apply their paid balance to such cruise instead of staying on the initial cruise that has had its itenerary changed as a result of a hurricane?

nope.

infact they did the opposite last year, which i felt was slimy of them.

they waited till 2 days AFTER final payment and announced the change to itinerary.

and wouldn't allow anyone to change/cancel w/o penalty! :mad:

dont remember if i was on that cruise or not but i definitely didnt book it before the itinerary change.

Yeah I’m booked for a 10 day South Caribbean cruise out of Miami during Thanksgiving and wouldn’t mind switching to a cruise out of New Orleans during that time if my South Caribbean itenerary changes as a result of the islands not being accessible by cruise during that time. I live an hour outside of New Orleans and would prefer to cruise out of it if both cruises are going to the western Caribbean. No point in traveling to Miami and paying for hotel stay there when I could do the same cruise easier and cheaper from New Orleans.

Cruise lines only allow refunds if they cancel the cruise due to the hurricane and last year saw them do it if they had to shorten the cruise - they gave you a couple choices. Both were done only because the embarkn port was hit by the hurricane. If it's the ports you're visiting, they just change the itinerary and go about normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey folks: Figured I creat a discussion about what changes are taking place to various NCL itineraries as a result of the hurricanes/storms in the Atlantic and Caribbean so everyone can stay informed. Feel free to ask questions and post updates regarding these matters.

NCL normally never cancels a cruise. Two weeks ago, the POA was delayed by a hurricane returning to port by a day and the subsequent cruise was delayed two days, but both cruises ran. Another hurricane/tropical storm will affect the POA next week.

Current hurricane thread with discussions on changes taking place to itineraries can be found at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2675367 and https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2676599

Being from the Antipodes I have no idea of the weather in the Caribbean. What is the likelihood of any adverse weather conditions in the March-April period?
No worries, hurricane season is June through November with the highest probability August through October. The weather should be great for your travels. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Taking a Southern Caribbean cruise soon and was wondering what would likely happen if most of the ports of call we are scheduled to visit get struck by a serious storm?

well if you are talking about places like Aruba, they rarely get cancelled. For some reason the ABC islands do not get hit by hurricanes. Some of the others on the southern itinerary might. It there are cancellations either they will divert to other ports or just stay at sea. Safety will be the deciding factor. Let me say though, at this point it is probably too soon to start worrying. There is not much any of us can do about it and so many storms and hurricanes never hit land..

yeah, i plan on taking the Breakaway on her 15day re-positioning cruise on oct 27 from ny to the Caribbean to new orleans.

Hurricane season lasts till the end of Nov :o

technically yes, it lasts until Nov 30th but think about it: how many times have you heard of a hurricane hitting land after late Oct or even after mid Oct for that matter? Anyone sailing after the 10th of Oct doesn't really need to be terribly concerned. Things happen but it would be very rare. I might add, this doesn't appear to be a heavy hurricane season. At least at this stage. The few warnings we have even heard of, pretty much fell apart before they hit land or were downgraded from hurricane status to tropical storms. The exception was Hawaii and they do not get hit often

We were on the second cruise out of San Juan last year after the hurricane. It was touch and go, and neither RCCL nor trip insurance would allow a cancellation. The question wasn't whether the ship would sail, but rather if we would be able to fly into San Juan. Jet Blue was great about helping us to reschedule to a flight out of Miami the morning of the cruise even before the evening flights were cancelled. That was the best decision we could have made. When the flights actually were cancelled, folks were left scrambling to find an alternative.

We were still able to make it to the ABC islands, but our stop in St. Maarten was cancelled, and we visited St Kitts instead. We had a great cruise, but the drama beforehand was something else. We sail in September every year and this was our first close call.

We are sailing on the Escape 9-30, so we shall see what happens this year. At least we have alternative airports to choose from, and Bermuda will be great, but a cruise to anywhere beats nothing at all.

The Southern Caribbean rarely gets hit by hurricanes...they are a bit far south of the "hurricane belt"....that said, your home port can be affected!

The cruise lines don’t do this, they just modify the itinerary.

The cruise lines don’t do this, they just modify the itinerary.

Especially NCL, known for being hard line and giving little or no concession. My 2016 Breakaway to Bermuda went to Florida under stormy skies and Nassau 3-8pm with almost no shops and no excursions. We got $50 OBC.

The 2017 Breakaway eastern and southern caribbean had 2 of 6 ports damaged. After final payment they scrapped the itinery and we went to florida, gsc, nassau, ocho rios, grsnd cayman and cozumel. Bad weather shortened and ruined the last 3 ports. The cruise was a very poor replacement for what we paid, but there was no ability to change cruises and no adjustment to cost. Not even port charge adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

technically yes, it lasts until Nov 30th but think about it: how many times have you heard of a hurricane hitting land after late Oct or even after mid Oct for that matter? Anyone sailing after the 10th of Oct doesn't really need to be terribly concerned. Things happen but it would be very rare. I might add, this doesn't appear to be a heavy hurricane season. At least at this stage. The few warnings we have even heard of, pretty much fell apart before they hit land or were downgraded from hurricane status to tropical storms. The exception was Hawaii and they do not get hit often

I've been in Florida for about 25 years. My experiences have been the worst hurricanes/storms have happened in late October and even mid to late November. Lets not forget Wilma October 25, 2005 that was a monster Cat 5 that went through the western Caribbean and hit Cancun as a Cat 5 only to come and hit Florida. I lost my roof in Miami Beach. Severe damage was from Key West to Ft Pierce with so many losing their roofs. Cancun was completely destroyed. Tropical Storm and Hurricane Gordon 1994 killed almost 1200 people across the Caribbean including 8 people in Florida. The storm started on Nov 6 and finally fizzled as a hurricane on November 21.

Peak hurricane season is Sept 15 and how exact science that 2 years in a row we have major hurricanes exactly during its peak. Irma last year at this time and now hurricane Florence striking exactly during the peak week. Ocean water is at is warmest late Sept and early Oct. I would say there is an equal chance as a hurricane in October as July or August. However after the peak Sept 15, the season drops significantly. There is less chance of a hurricane in November than say June, etc.

Its still early so lets hope that one model of it turning north happens. So much can happen with each day. And each day the track may change.

Hurricane Sandy/Formed

October 22, 2012

Being from the Antipodes I have no idea of the weather in the Caribbean. What is the likelihood of any adverse weather conditions in the March-April period?

It depends on what the jet stream is doing and any low pressure systems that form in the Gulf or elsewhere. You can have days with heavy rain as fronts collide and winds that prevent you from tendering or getting into a port.

We were on a southern Caribbean cruise in March of this year. Because of several low pressure system moving around in the Gulf and the Caribbean Sea, we had plenty of movement on the ship for several days and one port cancelled because the wind was too strong to navigate the channel into port.

As always, the weather will just depend on luck for the week you might travel

Most cruisers are more concerned about Spring Breakers during those months lol :D

Here's a list of US college spring break dates for 2019:

https://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break