Does Princess enforce the 6 month passport rule?

shof515

Just had the same discussion with Princess Uk, my passport has only 5 months left on my cruise sailing date, and would not let me complete boarding pass.

Spoke to Princess and was told that there would be no problem boarding but boarding pass would have to be done dockside.

Was told that their systems will not accept passort details that are due to expire within 6 months.

Maybe you will have no issue but why even try? If you do not have 6 months left renew the passport. It is very simple, and if it is not wanting to spend the money you should think again, the cost of sailing without 6 months could be much more. Not worth the risk.

What is very simple is that there is no risk. The risk is in your and some others imagination. People who don’t know the facts or want to know the facts. Their passport is fine for their Canada/New England cruise next month on Royal Princess.

Edited by Charles4515

We had an issue last year with mine and my hubby's passports. We were booked on a closed loop out of Seattle then the 1 night to Vancouver. Our passports were due to expire 4 months after the cruises were over. According to US Passport office we were good to travel, but when I called Princess I was told we had to have a full 6 months left on our passports after completion of the cruise. She said that was Princess policy and we would be denied boarding so needless to say we renewed.

Now this year we booked a 10 Day Panama Canal closed loop out of Port Everglades. My grand daughters passport expires 3 months after sailing. Her absentee father refused to sign the paperwork so I can renew her passport. I figured ok no big deal we'll travel with her birth certificate not so. I called to make final payment the other day and explained to the PVP the issue with my grand daughter and was told now all Panama Canal cruises require a passport regardless if it's a closed loop or not. I ended up having to remove my grand daughter from the booking. The PVP said if we can possibly get the passport renewed I'll be able to add her back onto the booking. Unfortunately my grand daughter is now heartbroken over it because she loves all the attention from the staff and her breakfast at Sabatini's every morning lol.

She said that was Princess policy and we would be denied boarding so needless to say we renewed.

i can not find this policy anywhere on princess website. all i see is passport only need to be valid for the length of cruise for a closed loop cruise. i know in Europe they have the 6 month passport rule

We had an issue last year with mine and my hubby's passports. We were booked on a closed loop out of Seattle then the 1 night to Vancouver. Our passports were due to expire 4 months after the cruises were over. According to US Passport office we were good to travel, but when I called Princess I was told we had to have a full 6 months left on our passports after completion of the cruise. She said that was Princess policy and we would be denied boarding so needless to say we renewed.

Now this year we booked a 10 Day Panama Canal closed loop out of Port Everglades. My grand daughters passport expires 3 months after sailing. Her absentee father refused to sign the paperwork so I can renew her passport. I figured ok no big deal we'll travel with her birth certificate not so. I called to make final payment the other day and explained to the PVP the issue with my grand daughter and was told now all Panama Canal cruises require a passport regardless if it's a closed loop or not. I ended up having to remove my grand daughter from the booking. The PVP said if we can possibly get the passport renewed I'll be able to add her back onto the booking. Unfortunately my grand daughter is now heartbroken over it because she loves all the attention from the staff and her breakfast at Sabatini's every morning lol.

It is not Princess policy as far as the six months to Canada. It was not closed loop because you did the RT plus Vancouver. So you did need a passport but it did not have to be valid six months.

I cruised in December 2016 with a passport expiring in April 2017 to the Caribbean. No problem. Whoever you talked to was wrong.

Panama Canal Cruises do require a passport. It does not matter if they are round trip or not. Only closed loop cruises to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean don’t require a passport. Panama Canal Cruises do not fall under the Western Hemisphere regional agreement exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Maybe you will have no issue but why even try? If you do not have 6 months left renew the passport. It is very simple, and if it is not wanting to spend the money you should think again, the cost of sailing without 6 months could be much more. Not worth the risk.

What NEVER ceases to amaze me is this:

There are rules and there are rules. People are aware of the rules pertaining to their situation.

Why then are SOME people hellbent on KNOWINGLY IGNORING or attempting to circumvent those rules???

Shaking my head!

I agree, cant believe the resistance! SMH :rolleyes:

Ours expired next January. Just sent it off last month and renewed it. Back in 12 days.

It is not Princess policy as far as the six months to Canada. It was not closed loop because you did the RT plus Vancouver. So you did need a passport but it did not have to be valid six months.

I cruised in December 2016 with a passport expiring in April 2017 to the Caribbean. No problem. Whoever you talked to was wrong.

Panama Canal Cruises do require a passport. It does not matter if they are round trip or not. Only closed loop cruises to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean don’t require a passport. Panama Canal Cruises do not fall under the Western Hemisphere regional agreement exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All true, but are you 100.0000% sure you will be coming back by boat and not plane?

The OP's cruise is next month. There may not be enough time to get the passport renewed in time without paying expediting fees.

I just renewed and it only took 2 weeks for regular service, no expedited service. And this was in the middle of summer the busiest time.

All true, but are you 100.0000% sure you will be coming back by boat and not plane?

The OP who asked the question has a valid passport and can come back by plane if they need to. They don’t need a 6 month validity for that itinerary. I flew to and from Montreal with my passport that did not have 6 months left on it. Not a word was said about it. On the Caribbean cruise I did in December 2016 I would have been able to fly back as none of the country’s required 6 months validity. The US and Canada only require a valid unexpired passport. You do need 6 months for a bunch of countries, and people should check what they need when traveling internationally.

Edited by Charles4515

The OP who asked the question has a valid passport and can come back by plane if they need to. They don’t need a 6 month validity for that itinerary. I flew to and from Montreal with my passport that did not have 6 months left on it. Not a word was said about it. On the Caribbean cruise I did in December 2016 I would have been able to fly back as none of the country’s required 6 months validity. The US and Canada only require a valid unexpired passport. You do need 6 months for a bunch of countries, and people should check what they need when traveling internationally.

> and can come back by plane if they need to

Depending on the state that issued their driver's license and where that state stands vis-à-vis Federal

Real ID waivers, that's not a given without a passport or a Real ID-compliant driver's license.

Depending on the state that issued their driver's license and where that state stands vis-à-vis Federal

Real ID waivers, that's not a given without a passport or a Real ID-compliant driver's license.

They have a passport so your reply makes no sense. That is all they need to come back by plane if they need to from their Canada/New England cruise.

As far as Real ID drivers licenses there is no reason to bring that up since they have a valid passport and that is all they need for International flights or domestic flights.

They have a passport so your reply makes no sense. That is all they need to come back by plane if they need to from their Canada/New England cruise.

As far as Real ID drivers licenses there is no reason to bring that up since they have a valid passport and that is all they need for International flights or domestic flights.

That is all they need to come back by plane, assuming they return before the passport expires. If they should fall ill and require hospitalization in a foreign country, the passport could expire before they're ready for travel back to their home country. Never say never...it could happen, especially if the OP is pushing it down to the mark.

That is all they need to come back by plane, assuming they return before the passport expires. If they should fall ill and require hospitalization in a foreign country, the passport could expire before they're ready for travel back to their home country. Never say never...it could happen, especially if the OP is pushing it down to the mark.

OP said their cruise is next month and that their passport expires in March 2019. They have about five months before it expires. Hardly pushing it down to the mark.

Real ID will help you get on an international flight from Canada?

News to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP who asked the question has a valid passport and can come back by plane if they need to. They don’t need a 6 month validity for that itinerary.

So far everyone agrees that the OP does not need six months left on the passport for this cruise.

But the real question is "will an uninformed staff at check-in deny boarding because of this?"

So far everyone agrees that the OP does not need six months left on the passport for this cruise.

But the real question is "will an uninformed staff at check-in deny boarding because of this?"

You have cut through to the main points. The OP does not REQUIRE a new passport, but they go on the cruise with the current passport, it would be a good idea to have with them a printed copy of the passport validity requirements of Canada and the US.