Downgraded Suite and no resolution!

amscene1

If this is true I’d be livid. There is no excuse for this kind of raw deal by any company. You should get what you booked.

If they had called you and offered you a deal of some kind with the option to say no it would be okay. But just pull it out from under you. Nope.

I think we all fear this happening just a little....

If it was an assigned gty then you might be out of luck. In their eyes a jr suite is a suite when it comes to a gty.

Another reason not to book a gty cabin. We did it once last minute and it turned out fine though.

That’s what I was told. I was already prebooked in the ship. Booked a paid upgrade. Was assigned a cabin number and then was downgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you please detail the steps that you took?

"We booked ___________ kind of cabin on ________________. (date)"

"Then we saw a suite guarantee (W) and paid what they were asking for it." Yes, No?

"Then on _________________ (date) we were assigned cabin #_______ "

"Then yesterday/today we were told (HOW? How were you informed?) that our cabin number is ______"

Would you please detail the steps that you took?

"We booked ___________ kind of cabin on ________________. (date)"

"Then we saw a suite guarantee (W) and paid what they were asking for it." Yes, No?

"Then on _________________ (date) we were assigned cabin #_______ "

"Then yesterday/today we were told (HOW? How were you informed?) that our cabin number is ______"

This is like a test..........anyway to get some extra credit if I fill in another blank?

If this is true I’d be livid. There is no excuse for this kind of raw deal by any company. You should get what you booked.

If they had called you and offered you a deal of some kind with the option to say no it would be okay. But just pull it out from under you. Nope.

I think we all fear this happening just a little....

If it was an assigned gty then you might be out of luck. In their eyes a jr suite is a suite when it comes to a gty.

Another reason not to book a gty cabin. We did it once last minute and it turned out fine though.

That is exactly what happened. I had a grand suite with an assigned stateroom number and all including it showed it on the Edocs that got changed to a jr suite with no compensation, except the previously mentioned flowers.

Like I said I will let everyone on here know a resolution, if any happens by Saturday.

I’m sorry I can not answer every ones questions right this second. It’s dinner time here and my phone is blowing up.

Long story short, absolutely worst day I’ve had in a while.

That’s what I was told. I was already prebooked in the ship. Booked a paid upgrade. Was assigned a cabin number and then was downgraded.

I know you've been asked this several times now but what the heck? I'll give it a try. What cabin # did they originally assign you?

You booked a guarantee got assigned a GS and then it got changed to a JS?

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

Yep, sounds like they upgraded to a W guarantee, were assigned a GS then had that taken away and assigned a JS. Not really anything that can be done as a W guarantee just guarantees you a JS so there’s no extra money that was paid, just the disappointment of losing the GS but Royal is within their rights to do that.

So was it this 12162, a Hc cabin? If you are not Hc........

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56843031#post56843031

So did you book a suite gty?

So what do you want cc to do, they don't run the cruise line?

They could have booked a suite QTY and were assigned a Grand Suite and being a GTY the GS was booked and they were moved to a JS. If a GS was just changed to a JS then they should get a hefty refund. Since they are not complaining about the price it seems they had a GTY and ended up getting what they they paid for, a suite

Have never seen it happen.

Yep, sounds like they upgraded to a W guarantee, were assigned a GS then had that taken away and assigned a JS. Not really anything that can be done as a W guarantee just guarantees you a JS so there’s no extra money that was paid, just the disappointment of losing the GS but Royal is within their rights to do that.

If that is the sequence of events, then that is also the correct conclusion.

Disappointing but S.O.L.

You can’t give something to someone then take it away. That’s Indian giving.

Funny because I cruise all lines and this is as petty as I have ever seen. Only royal has caused me major headaches customer service wise. I mean I was on the phone for 2 hours today and the resolution lady was extremely abusive and rude. Only the lady from Michael Bayleys office (the one who offered me roses) was nice but not helpful.

Know this has happened before, a Guarantee Cabin assigned then changed and was pretty sure long as cabin is still in Guarantee level nothing can do about it. I like choose my cabin/location, in 30+ yrs only had one Guarantee on a cruise.

To OP, sorry for the change...

At this point for the headache I’ll go back to my original cabin. It’s the principal, I could care less about the perks or bigger room. I have a drink and dining package already and don’t care for Concierge lounge or CK but it is breaking a promise and or being lied too.

You can’t give something to someone then take it away. That’s Indian giving.

Funny because I cruise all lines and this is as petty as I have ever seen. Only royal has caused me major headaches customer service wise. I mean I was on the phone for 2 hours today and the resolution lady was extremely abusive and rude. Only the lady from Michael Bayleys office (the one who offered me roses) was nice but not helpful.

Actually they can and they have in the past. Read through their contract.

At this point for the headache I’ll go back to my original cabin. It’s the principal, I could care less about the perks or bigger room. I have a drink and dining package already and don’t care for Concierge lounge or CK but it is breaking a promise and or being lied too.

You gave up your cabin. Doubt very much that they would let you go back and give you the refund for what you paid for the guarantee upgrade,

No where in any of your post did you say the word "Guarantee"". You said you booked a room and then PAID for an upgrade to a GS and had the room number of the GS. You Paid to upgrade to a GS with room number not a gty, they have to at least refund your paid upgrade plus they need to do a lot more for you. Have a great cruise anyways

Actually they can and they have in the past. Read through their contract.

I have, doesn’t say anything about pulling the original room and assigning lower category. Even if that was spelled out that is an extremely shady business practice, I hope you would agree? I think we call it the old bait and switch.

Based on the GTY purchase I'm sure that RCI is well within their rights to do what they did but that doesn't change the sour taste the OP has in her mouth. To give someone a GS and then take it away and replace it with JS without even a little regret and compensation is just poor customer service. I'm sure that if the OP had received the JS originally it all would have been ok but to think you have this great suite and then find out "nope... tricked you... you get this not so great suite" is just ugly and disappointing. Cruises are all about having your expectations exceeded. When your expectations are already unrealized before you even get on the ship it's going to make for a very disappointing experience. I think at the very least a little more than roses, that'll be wilted and dead by day 3 ought to have been offered.

If when you upgraded you agreed to a “suite guarantee” or “W”, then the room assignment was not a “promise.” Changing a gty room assignment right up until boarding is completely within the cruiseline’s rights; that flexibility is the reason these bookings are discounted compared to hand picking your own cabin. So if this was a “w”, there was no broken promise not a lie, but rather a customer disappointed customer who evidently did not understand what a guarantee booking entailed. And no option to go back to the original cabin; if you bought a “W”, they met that standard by giving you a JS.

Based on the GTY purchase I'm sure that RCI is well within their rights to do what they did but that doesn't change the sour taste the OP has in her mouth. To give someone as GS and then take it away and replace it with JS without even a little regret and compensation is just poor compensation. I'm sure that if the OP had received the JS originally it all would have been ok but to think have this great suite and then find out "nope... tricked you... you get this not so great suite is just ugly and disappointing. Cruises are all about having your expectations exceeded. When your expectation are already unrealized before you even get on the ship it's going to make for a very disappointing experience. I think at the very least a little more than roses, that'll be wilted and dead by day 3 ought to have been offered.

Thank you for your comment. The actual fact is they denied it happening basically calling me a liar. At no point did anyone from royal say that they are allowed to do this or well within their rights to do so. Just I’m sorry, it never happened, here’s some roses......

This is the point I’m trying to make, if it was not their fault, why offer anything.....

I have, doesn’t say anything about pulling the original room and assigning lower category. Even if that was spelled out that is an extremely shady business practice, I hope you would agree? I think we call it the old bait and switch.

It does happen from time to time but given the infrequency of it happening I would tend to believe that it’s actually a mistake rather than a bait n switch,

Unfortunately you got exactly what you paid for.

Had you been assigned a JS the first time this wouldn’t be an issue as all you were promised was a JS which is exactly what you received at the end of the day.

Yes it sucks and yes I think that they should have given you more than flowers but they chose not to.