New and Bewildered.

greencruiser1956

First, I apologize for asking this as I am sure it's been asked a thousand times before. I did a search, but I couldn't seem to find a good answer...I may have searched poorly. :(

We are doing the partial transit through the Panama Canal, and I am trying to figure out the shore excursions during canal day. Am I correct in thinking that the only excursions are with Princess? In other words, we go thru some of the locks, dock in Gatun, then those who have a Princess excursion are tendered away for that, and if you don't have an excursion, you stay on the ship? There are no options for just getting off and wandering? Some posts say you can go to the dock and there are shops, other posts say that "no, it's just a container port and there is nothing to do"

Is staying on the ship worth while? I sort of thought that being on the ship as it went through was the purpose of a Panama Canal cruise, but it seems like it stops (anchors? docks? ) in Gatun Lake for a long time, so maybe a shore excursion is what one does? otherwise, it's just "a day in a lake". Can you see other ships going through the locks while your docked?

I know I sound naive, and like I've never left my house before, ;p but for some reason I just don't seem to be able to find helpful info on this particular day of the cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Shannon

When the ship gets into Gutan lake, those doing Princess excursions get off the ship at a point not too far from the exist of the locks. Nobody else is allowed off.

The ship does not tour around the lake. After a couple hours (depends partly on lock schedule) the ship goes back through the lock to the port of Colon where passengers can get off and have some time. Those that did the Princess excursions meet the ship there meaning they only did the locks one way while those that stayed on went in and out the same locks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

No need to apologize. We were all new at one time.

Thats what we are all here for is to help each other out.

Its been awhile since we did a partial. The last few have been full transits.

I believe you will go through the locks and stop in Gatun Lake where they will disembark the Princess tours.

You are correct you cannot get off in the lake unless you have a tour booked.

When the tours leave the ship will transit back through the same locks and dock at Colon which is a couple of miles from the locks. You will actually pass the Colon terminal on the way in to the locks.

There in the terminal there will be vendors set up and thats about it.

I would suggest you take the ocean to ocean tour through the locks by boat if its available.

Sometimes by boat and sometimes by train. It gives you a very different perspective of the canal from water level or ground level. Not sure if the train even still runs. I have not heard about it in awhile.

At least when you first go through the locks on the way to Gatun Lake you will see the locks from the ship.

Check out the Princess roll call boards here on Cruise Critic and look for your specific cruise. Join the roll call so you can meet others on your cruise and exchange information on ports/tours/meet and greets etc.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi Shannon!

We were on a partial Panama Canal cruise on the Coral last March. We chose to take the excursion that goes all the way through the canal on a smaller ship. It was a long day, but we were happy that we did it. Going through the locks in a small boat was a very different experience. We also liked transiting through to the Pacific and seeing the vista of Panama City from the boat.

I’m not sure if other excursions were offered, but I don’t remember hearing of any. At some point the cruise ship will sail back down to where it entered the canal and then dock at Colon. Again, I do not know if there are any ship’s excursions offered there, but I suspect not. It didn’t look like an area that offered a lot.

Welcome to cruise critic! It can take a while to figure out where all the information is but the following boards should definitely help you (in addition to this one).

Your Roll Call is where folks on your cruise gather to share information, plan onboard activities, and frequently plan private excursions. We almost exclusively do private excursions, many organized through our roll calls - they are cheaper, usually smaller (vans as opposed to a full size bus), and oftentimes let the passengers request special stops (my sister requested a drive through Miraflores in Lima, Peru because a very good friend grew up there and it is a beautiful neighborhood; our van in the Canary Islands got to vote on a camel ride or a visit to a winery - the latter was the unanimous choice; etc.). To find your roll call: on the main page https://boards.cruisecritic.com/, scroll down to Roll Calls and click on Princess. Then click on your ship and the board with all the current roll calls titled by embarkation date of the cruise appears. Log on and just introduce yourself and list your questions and concerns.

Scrolling further down the main page you will see a section entitled Ports of Call. Click on Panama Canal. You'll find all kinds of useful questions and answers about excursions, etc.

We did a full transit from the pacific to the Atlantic in 2009 and on that cruise there were no stops until we got to Cartagena, Colombia which is a lovely city. I'm sure other folks will weigh in with more recent experiences including the partial transits.

Hope you have a great time! One last recommendation - read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas to truly understand the history of the original canal.

First, I apologize for asking this as I am sure it's been asked a thousand times before. I did a search, but I couldn't seem to find a good answer...I may have searched poorly. :(

We are doing the partial transit through the Panama Canal, and I am trying to figure out the shore excursions during canal day. Am I correct in thinking that the only excursions are with Princess? In other words, we go thru some of the locks, dock in Gatun, then those who have a Princess excursion are tendered away for that, and if you don't have an excursion, you stay on the ship? There are no options for just getting off and wandering? Some posts say you can go to the dock and there are shops, other posts say that "no, it's just a container port and there is nothing to do"

Is staying on the ship worth while? I sort of thought that being on the ship as it went through was the purpose of a Panama Canal cruise, but it seems like it stops (anchors? docks? ) in Gatun Lake for a long time, so maybe a shore excursion is what one does? otherwise, it's just "a day in a lake". Can you see other ships going through the locks while your docked?

I know I sound naive, and like I've never left my house before, ;p but for some reason I just don't seem to be able to find helpful info on this particular day of the cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Welcome. And YES! you are pretty much on the right track. I did a partial transit twice (2nd time a re-do because we got rained out and spent the day floating on Lake Gatun) The ship goes through Gatun Lock then enters the lake. I recall a dock where passengers that had tours were disembarked. YES, YOU MUST TAKE A PRINCESS TOUR, ONLY OPTION OR STAY ON THE SHIP AND FLOAT ON THE LAKE. From what I understand there is not anything worth walking around where the ship docks (for a very short time) anyway. I took the small ferry option to complete going through the remaining locks. Buses met the ferry on shore I believe in Panama City and took us to the ship. I enjoyed the very long day very much. The Princess website has or will have your available excursions for the Panama Canal day along with all the other ports

We did a partial transit in April. The only options are a Princess excursion that departed fairly early in the morning or remaining on the ship and going thru the locks then sitting in the lake. We were allowed off in the terminal area for about 45 minutes (it was supposed to be 2 hours, but stuff happens). This was at the end of the day.

The dock in Gatun Lake is very small. Actually tiny, and just big enough for a tender. The ship doesn’t dock there... all excursions are via tender and these are limited due to the amount of time needed to get passengers to the small dock. Independent tours do not have access to this small dock so your choices are limited to Princess tours.

Which direction are you coming from? All of the excursions in the lake that I have seen posted have been for people doing a partial from FLL. We are booked on a 19 day partial that leaves in November but it's a round trip from Los Angeles. There have been no excursions listed for our day in the lake. We keep wondering but all of the excursions we have heard about are for those coming from the other direction.

We did the Port Everglades partial Panama Canal (we have also done the through canal from LA to PE). Gatun lake is on the north side of the canal. Most do not realize the canal goes from north to south and not east to west! On the partial you enter the gatun locks (3 locks in succession) and then enter Gatun lake. The ship then quickly goes to a small pier on the left of the locks. Pax with Princess tours are then tendered to the small pier and met by a group of tour buses. There is not anything there except the parking lot. The ship then leaves and goes through Gatun locks to a dock where it ties up waiting for the tours to return.

We did the train to Panama City and return. When we arrived they transferred us to buses for the tour of the city later returning us to the train for the trip back to the ship. We were put on buses from the train terminal to the ship. The train sold out months before our cruise.

Which direction are you coming from? All of the excursions in the lake that I have seen posted have been for people doing a partial from FLL. We are booked on a 19 day partial that leaves in November but it's a round trip from Los Angeles. There have been no excursions listed for our day in the lake. We keep wondering but all of the excursions we have heard about are for those coming from the other direction.

A full transit of the canal is about 50 miles.

The partial transit from the Caribbean takes a couple of hours to get to Gatun lake at which point the Princess tours start. The two main tours are the small ship to through the other locks to the Pacific (and return by bus to Colon) and the Indian Village tour. The ship spends a few hours on the lake and then goes back through the locks to Colon. The small ship goes through the cut which was the major construction effort in building the Canal. Without the small ship excursion, you really have not seen the Canal with this partial transit.

The partial transfer from the Pacific does all of the Canal except the locks to the Caribbean. There is no reason to take a small ship back to the Pacific since you have already seen it and the ship will retrace its path there. No excursion is offered to just go through the three locks to the Caribbean. I do not know how long the ship stays in Gatun Lake before returning to the Pacific, but the time it takes to get to the Lake takes probably about 6 hours and it would take the same amount of time to return to the Pacific.

Regarding the dock in Colon...we were there in Jan '18...there is what appears to be one of the glitzy, highly polished, duty free gift shops under construction immediately adjacent to the Colon passenger terminal.

The construction appeared to be recent and ongoing, tho quiet on the day we were there.

Otherwise there is a tiny gift shop in the terminal or you can walk a quarter mile or so under a mostly covered walkway to a small shopping center with a supermarket, bakery, tourist shop.

I did the first cruise Princess planned for this itinerary and it was mass confusion and frustration for many. I think based on this experience, excursions were not planned on future cruises.

We arrived in Gatun Lake too late in the day to take the longer tours. At first, Princess offered them but then had to cancel. The only excursion that actually ran was the tour of the new locks which I was fortunate enough to take. There were six buses on the tour. All other tours were canceled.

There were a few tours planned, and many booked, for the next morning. We were scheduled to sail from Gatun Lake at 1pm. It was announced early in the morning that we would sail at 11am and tours were canceled. Then, our sailing was delayed an hour. Then another hour. We finally sailed at 1pm.

A lot of passengers were confused and angry as they’d expected to be able to take tours. Many didn’t understand that it was due to scheduling changes by the Panama Canal authorities, not Princess.

Schedule changes are always a possibility when going through the Panama Canal. I’ve been on cruises when we were lined up to enter a lock and at the last minute, another ship slipped past and entered and we had to wait.

Since our round-trip out of LA had so many problems and disappointed passengers, I don’t think excursions have been offered in the Canal on this itinerary since then. I’m guessing it’s due to the timing and tight schedule.

This does not affect the full transit in either direction or partial Panama Canal cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale.

You are correct.

Suggest you think about a tour. The full transit tour is nice. The Embera Indian trip is also nice. There is really very little in Colon. It's a big warehouse with vendors. If you decide to stay on the ship you will exit the locks and then dock at Colon. The time in the itinerary is only an estimate. The real time is controlled by P.C. operations, when they reverse the locks to outbound and when they schedule your ship.

Another thing you should be aware of is the timing. The ship normally enters the channel before 6am, and the first of three locks around 6am. It takes about 2 hours to clear all three locks. Somewhere around 8am you are done. Sleep in and you missed it. The sun is very strong and it is normally hot and humid. Panama isn't too far from the equator, about 9 degrees north. If you decide to stay on the ship it will be quiet with less passengers on board.

I made these pictures yesterday for a thread on the Panama Canal board (Ports of Call). This is from Google Earth, showing Gatun Locks (old locks) on the left and Agua Clara Locks (new) on the right. Both lead into Gatun Lake.

enhance

Second picture is a closeup of the dock area of the Gatun Yacht Club where the tenders offload passengers for tours.

enhance

If you said what ship you are on, I missed it. But if you are on Coral or Island, taking a tour to the Embera village, or of the new lcoks would be nice. If you are on Caribbean, you should definitely take a tour that takes you through the old locks. You need to see and marvel at the engineering. EM

You should be able to access tours from your Princess personalizer for your itinerary. Then you will be able to see all the options prior to getting on the ship. Read lots of stuff here and then you will be the smartest person in your cabin!!

Jim

As mentioned by Sknight in post #14, the ships can enter the locks very early. This is Maasdam moving from the second to the third Gatun Lock today, and you can see how early...that is local time, EST for us. And she has already been at the locks for an hour:

enhance

If you want to see other transits, go to this thread that I have running on the Panama Canal board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625838

Hi. We are coming from Ft Lauderdale, and then returning there. There are quite a few excursions listed on my documents.

The trip to the Embera village was great. Our friends chose that for the day and I am glad we went along with them. We also were able to purchase some really nice handmade crafts for ourselves and some gifts, like this wood carving. I love to get locally made items

. 0952f905a609d0a581008a606940c36a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by knbcruisers

I don't think I can add any new information, but when we did the same itinerary as you, we booked the Embera Indian Village tour, and I have to say it was the BEST Princess excursion we've ever taken. We usually opt for privately run tours, but of course, with no other options, we took this one. It was a great tour, with a great guide. Also, we made sure we were up early so we could witness going through the locks, since we would only have that one chance (my husband going on the "ya seen one lock ya seen 'em all" principle) and first found one of the "secret-ish" decks at the front of the ship to observe entering the locks, and then as we entered, we progressed to one of the lesser known public aft decks to watch from a different vantage point (we were in an inside cabin, so you learn to be creative with your views!) We found this to be ample viewing time and could hear the running commentary that was being broadcast throughout the ship for information. Best of both worlds for us.

Wow! So many replies overnight. You guys are awesome, and answered my questions perfectly. Thank you so much! I'll be booking a tour of some kind today, and will now know to possibly expect delays, changes and other upsets. again, thanks!

The boat ride to the Pacific is wonderful. You can sit on the top deck, most seats under a canvas roof, and see the licks from down. Lose to the water. Coming out into the Pacific is amazing and you see the Panama City skyline which surprised us with all the high rises. We drove through part of the city on the motorcoach that took us back to meet the ship.

Lunch and cold drinks were included, and it was a wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the first cruise Princess planned for this itinerary and it was mass confusion and frustration for many. I think based on this experience, excursions were not planned on future cruises.

We arrived in Gatun Lake too late in the day to take the longer tours. At first, Princess offered them but then had to cancel. The only excursion that actually ran was the tour of the new locks which I was fortunate enough to take. There were six buses on the tour. All other tours were canceled.

There were a few tours planned, and many booked, for the next morning. We were scheduled to sail from Gatun Lake at 1pm. It was announced early in the morning that we would sail at 11am and tours were canceled. Then, our sailing was delayed an hour. Then another hour. We finally sailed at 1pm.

A lot of passengers were confused and angry as they’d expected to be able to take tours. Many didn’t understand that it was due to scheduling changes by the Panama Canal authorities, not Princess.

Schedule changes are always a possibility when going through the Panama Canal. I’ve been on cruises when we were lined up to enter a lock and at the last minute, another ship slipped past and entered and we had to wait.

Since our round-trip out of LA had so many problems and disappointed passengers, I don’t think excursions have been offered in the Canal on this itinerary since then. I’m guessing it’s due to the timing and tight schedule.

This does not affect the full transit in either direction or partial Panama Canal cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Wow. Many thanks. I have linked this thread and copied this post to my roll call. We are scheduled to arrive in the lake at 6:00 AM and stay until 2:00 PM the next day so we were hoping for some sort of excursions. It sounds as if it will be more of a "lake day" kind of like a sea day. I've heard good things about the village excursion but I guess it's just not to be. I certainly understand why they wouldn't offer the trip through the locks to the Pacific as we will be doing those both ways but folks on the roll call have been wondering what kind of excursions might be available. None are listed in the personalizer for this cruise. Ah, well. As long as we are on the ship I will be happy. A "cruise to nowhere" would actually be fine for me. :D