Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

2 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

You would have taken the words right out of my mouth if I could write nearly as well. What itinerary are you on in February? We are on the Explorer segment from San Antonio to LA.

Mariner, Bangkok to Hong Kong!

• Like 1

Had a nice relaxing day at sea.  Breakfast in the Compass Rose...followed by relaxing around the pool and lunch at the Pool Grill.  Attended a very interesting lecture on Coral Fish, and then  took a Galley tour. Very interesting. They serve over 1800 meals per day! After the galley tour we enjoyed another beautiful sunset on our balcony followed by a great dinner in Sette Mari  then Blazing Boots in the Constellation Theater, and after dinner drinks in the Horizon Lounge. Tomorrow we spend the day in Fakarava.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

DSC06767.jpg

DSC06774.jpg

DSC06779.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, you’re on board your favorite Regent Seven Seas Cruise ship (for us now it’s the Mariner) and let’s say you suite toilet backs up and then there is a fire alarm.

Who ya gonna call?  

No, not the Ghostbusters 🙂. You’re wanna call Vanni!

Time for another Mariner behind the scenes crew member profile.

The Mariner Plumber who is called, to unclog your toilet and most likely the Mariner Fire Department crew member that would be called in this case, is the-same crew member, Giovanni (nickname:  Vanni).  Vanni, hails from the Philippines and lives in the island of Mindoro, the province Oriental Mindoro).  Vanni,  is a relative newly wed, and has been married to  the beautiful Jane Lucila Petulant for three years.  He was fortunate to have met Lucy when one of his cousins introduced him to Lucy.

Vanni, began working with Regent back in 2013, as a Plumber, but as the Mariner General Manager, Michael Coghlan let me know yesterday, “all the crew are dual hatted (serve their principal duty and secondary ‘ship safety” duties.”  Vanni’s secondary duty, is as a member of the seven person Mariner Fire Department Crew.  He is second in charge and leads three assistant fire department crew members.  

The Mariner Fire Department team is practices rescue drills frequently during

Crew exercises/drills.  The Fire Department team suits up in their fire gear with helmets and often, using special harnesses, practice guest rescues, simulating a guest casualty (e.g. from a fall) and transporting this guest safely to get immediate medical care.  Vanni,  over the years he has been a member of the fire department has assisted guests who have had suffered injuries from a very serious fall.  

As the Mariner Plumber, Vanni’s principal duty is to maintain the Mariner’s freshwater pipeline from guest’s suites until the flushed water travels from the toilet to one of two collecting units (one for the forward part of the ship, the other collecting unit for the aft/rear part of the Mariner.  The Collecting Units are located down in the Engine department.  Collecting unit liquid/water travels from the CU to the Membrane Biological Reactor (MBR) for further chemical treatment.

Vanni, dons his extensive personal protective unit gear every 15 days and thoroughly cleans the forward Collecting unit.  And if a guest has a toilet that is clogged, Vanni is called to resolve the blockage.

Vanni, let’s me know his hardest job/duty as Plumbers is to identify/diagnose the location of the “clog” along the freshwater pipeline.  He adroitly uses a “snake wire” over a period of time, to help located and remove the clog.

Vanni learned his plumbing skills (he was trained back in the Philippines as an automotive tech graduate) cross-training from his first duties as an incinerator operator (under the careful watch/counsel of the staff engineer).  Vanni, has worked numerous duties as a Mariner crew member; Bosun, AB (or Able Bodied Seaman) and he has served as the “Wiper” responsible for keeping the engine clean.

When asked when he has the most fun when working on Regent, Vanni smiles and lets me know when he is able to speak on the phone or on Facebook messenger with “Baby” that is, his lovely wife Jane.  Vanni, also let’s me know his favorite Regent ship to work on are both the Mariner and the Voyager.

When asked why he likes serving on Regent ships, Vanni, pauses and passionately tells me, “it just feels like coming home, and you feel part of the crewmember family.”  Vanni, also likes Regent because he is earns a good salary, Voyager and Mariner leaders treat all crew well—they care.

So, if you have a clogged toilet or you observe a fellow guest have a serious fall, most likely Vanni is called to help.

AE0890DB-1D52-428E-9885-1694B22E4524.jpeg

D2D47FA1-726F-468F-847D-DEDC560E95A4.jpeg

65A8C43E-E0A1-46D6-8B34-334182736E9E.jpeg

• Like 1

Papaflamingo - Thanks for bringing us along on your trip!  I have followed your past posts on RCI, as well.  I'm sure you're noticing more than a few (positive) "differences" between RCI and Regent (other than the price, of course)!  The pics of the kitchen/galley showed a place that was virtually spotless.  It could probably serve as an operating room, if the need ever arose!  Best Regards.

• Like 2

We had a relaxing day for our sea day going to Fakarava.  Game playing, eating, drinking, eating drinking, eating drinking, showtime with Blazing Boots.  Excellent performance.  Very high energy by crew.

now in Fakarava.  Very small atoll, small town and beaches.  Opportunity to go ashore and a swim.  Nice waters and a refreshing dip.  Back to the ship for more eating and drinking.  Sounds pretty monotonous doesn’t it.  I LOVE IT.

Life at this point is very nice, and all passengers seem to be having a great time and enjoying each other’s company.  

Tomorrow we reach Bora Bora, and for those of us on the Grand Voyage, a special performance by group at the Conrad Hilton.  Looking forward to it all.

enjoy a few pics from Fakarava

5A8130BE-3192-404E-BEAE-4DC8AECFC6FA.jpeg

8AE03B2D-4649-42DF-8F4A-046BD6D1358E.jpeg

6154B936-49C4-4709-880D-180D7AF6BABA.jpeg

94AB3A43-8383-45BC-BFBD-A497F46CEAD2.jpeg

E1865247-A644-43C8-BED2-7A1EE469A42B.jpeg

F0E58491-7D03-42C6-9CA5-0DE880C3BA30.jpeg

BD75DB2D-C1D2-4E13-A100-0C68DD62D886.jpeg

44EC2DA4-6724-4E5A-B83F-9FECA56F272D.jpeg

022AFFFC-160C-46AE-88F9-0AEC1C72C0DE.jpeg

2CBEB9E4-BF40-4707-AAAB-BBB40D7D4007.jpeg

21C7EA0C-9BB3-48C8-90EA-3F8B601E9A61.jpeg

57D69254-EA18-4CB5-8F47-EC928217C739.jpeg

FAA0D971-8E00-43B6-AE6E-527A30A1BE9C.jpeg

027F714B-8BA0-4236-B12C-00BB517C2E13.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rich48100 said:

6154B936-49C4-4709-880D-180D7AF6BABA.jpeg

57D69254-EA18-4CB5-8F47-EC928217C739.jpeg

Enjoying this thread enormously!    What's the other vessel seen in these photos? Looks as if it's some sort of cargo/passenger ship used to supply these remote islands and atolls? Did you catch it's name? 

EDIT: Just found out it's this:

https://www.tahiti.com/vacations/marquesas-cultural-discovery-cruise-3228

Interesting! 

Edited by Paul Bradley
More info
  • Like 2

Today we spent a wonderful day in Fakarava, French Polynesia.  Fakarava is one of the largest atolls in the Tuamotu Archipelago. It is 37 miles long and is a designated UNESCO Biosphere Reserve to preserve rare species.  It is known as a “mecca for divers.”  The town of Rotoava is a very small village of about 800. The thin atoll protects a large lagoon from the sea and is effectively one giant beach.  

We rented bikes and rode part of the island.  We stopped at the beautiful Catholic Church that was built of Coral in 1847. Continuing down the atoll we stopped at one of the many beautiful beaches and did a bit of snorkeling.  The visibility was a little murky at times due to the current kicking up the sand on the bottom, but the water was beautiful in varying blue hues and very warm.  After snorkeling we decide a beer was in order and stopped at a small café on the beach.  Rode back to the tender pier and looked through the few small shops then went back to the ship.  

It was truly a beautiful atoll and really exceeded our expectations.  Celebrating this beautiful day waiting for the sunset with canapes and champagne on our balcony. 

Tomorrow we stop overnight in Bora Bora.    

DSC06790.jpg

DSCN2347.jpg

DSCN2350.jpg

DSCN2348.jpg

DSCN2357.jpg

DSCN2368.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2411.jpg

DSCN2404.jpg

DSCN2398.jpg

DSC06799.jpg

• Like 1

thanks to fellow bloggers Rich and Jim for sharing their beautiful Fakarava photos 

Today (we r st Bora Bora)our CD John Barton leads an international service for all Veterans in honor of Veterans Day. please take a moment and remember our Veterans and their sacrifices today

“Welcome to Paradise.” The lead sentence in Friday, November 9th Regent Seven Seas Mariner daily newspaper/flyer Passages said.

“It was, it really was Paradise,” said Ida. 

Our exceptional cruise director John Barron let all Mariner guests know that he was going to try and take a photo that looks like the beautiful snap shown (first photo below) on the front page of Friday’s Passages.  We took John’s guidance to task and tried to emulate this photo (second to last )below.

Ida and I really had a fun time in “the largest and most beautiful atolls in French Polynesia, Fakarava.  As our daily Passages said, “Heavenly white and pink sand, ruffled coconut trees and an unbelievable palettes of lagoon azure blues are the Fakarava norm.  The waters/ocean surrounding this beautiful atoll are among the clearest and most pristine in the world.

Our visit to Fakarava, began with tendering ashore and instantly we were drawn in to beauty of the turquoise waters with the Mariner in the background.

We first ran into the Mariner’s Food and Beverage manager (Vladimir) and the Mariner’s Executive Chef Wesley.  They had just finished their Fakarava fish market visit and bought the entire stock of fresh Parrot fish.

Please see photo of Chef Wesley’s Fresh Destination dish taken last night at dinner.  Best seafood dish I’ve eaten!  (second to last below)

Ida and I then walked briskly across the island (about a 5 minute walk) and enjoyed wading into the “pristine” ocean waters just prior to the breakwater where waves were coming in.  One of our photos shows just how clear the Fakarava Ocean water is.

Ida and I then headed back to the tender area to find a Fakarava beach to enjoy some swimming.  We me Bob (fellow US Army Veteran)  and Darlene, fellow Mariner guests also seeking a Fakarava beach swimming spot.  We all enjoyed a refreshing 45 min swim in Paradise!

658A9093-460D-4898-BB1C-EDEDEEE5D400.jpeg

A5368F81-5A4E-4E55-8B2A-CAD5F16EA7A0.jpeg

73BC3A8E-BB5A-42B9-9689-6D9B30AC2AF6.jpeg

72451948-0911-40C9-AEFB-0E5E433BA88C.jpeg

9D9C1536-86B3-4E39-95B9-1E50783225D2.jpeg

32FBD05C-64C1-4306-A7A9-2C27E51A88E3.jpeg

DA852646-5EAF-4C0E-88DC-22D092703742.jpeg

477864CA-5F8A-43F0-8663-775C05EBF7A4.jpeg

04DEC86C-3D41-4C3D-9584-87A90AD846A2.jpeg

75E63E5C-C4EA-42BD-9BDD-CF4646B5BD83.jpeg

F9264BF5-C70F-49D3-AA60-03626AD92FCF.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Am enjoying your narrative and pictures very much!  

We have always dreamed of visiting Polynesia, and hope to some day.

Wes, do you know if Regent offered any scuba diving excursions in this area, and were they included or extra cost?

Thanks very much, and I hope you to continue to enjoy this fabulous cruise!  

• Like 1

We did this itinerary in 2017 and the heat and humidity was not bad at all in any of the ports.  It was one of our most memorable voyages.  I’d say that the heat and humidity in Alabama is much worse than the South Pacific!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fb0075 said:

How bad was the heat and humidity? I have booked and cancelled this itinerary 4 times because my wife cant handle heat well!

Also,is there any activity in the poker tournaments?

I will second Forgap's comment on the heat.  We live in Atlanta, Ga. and find this much nicer.  It is humid, don't get me wrong, but there is generally a nice breeze in the Islands (at least so far), and the temps have been around low 80's.  We biked on Fakarava and found it quite pleasant.  It reminds me of the temp in the Caribbean in the winter months.  Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheltieluv said:

Am enjoying your narrative and pictures very much!  

We have always dreamed of visiting Polynesia, and hope to some day.

Wes, do you know if Regent offered any scuba diving excursions in this area, and were they included or extra cost?

Thanks very much, and I hope you to continue to enjoy this fabulous cruise!  

Wes may have a better answer, but I did not see any scuba excursions offered.  Fellow CC members, Bill and Denise (MisDiagnoste) are avid scuba divers.  They were able to scuba on Hilo and in Fakarava.  Bill said the dive in Fakarava was beautiful, about 97 feet deep (I think).  So my guess is that you will need to set up your. own excursions, but they will be well worth it.  

• Like 1

Like papa flamingo/Jim says Sheltieluv no diving excursions offered on this voyage.  only multiple snorkeling and swim excursions.  attached is photo of Bill, Denise and Ida on our dive/snorkel private excursion in Hilo.  We r all US Army Veterans (in fact Bill, Ida and I served in V Corps Frankfurt Germany in mid nineties)

Denise told us just what Bill told Jim Fakarava diving was super

really too too bad no diving excursions offered on the Mariner, when we did a b2b on the Paul Gauguin back in2005, I did about ten scuba dives in Bora Bora, Moore’s, and Raitea

look forward to Grand deck bbq tonight with polynesian entertainment 

677D8075-D096-4499-9466-F0BC0E8661BD.jpeg

• Like 1

PapaFlamingo and Wes, Thank you for your replies re. the scuba diving excursions.  I think we would be happy with the snorkeling offerings.  Actually, I'd be happy to be anywhere warm right now because it's snowing!:classic_ohmy:

That's quite the crew you had for the Hilo excursion.  Looks like fun.

Thank you again for taking us along on your wonderful journey.

• Like 1

WesW, your posting is much too good.  After reading more and more of what you write about this cruise and mainly about the Pacific part------well, we just today booked the Papeete to Los Angeles cruise.  We have 3 cruises on Regent before this one but can't wait.  Thanks again (guess you pushed us just a bit).

• Like 1

Thanks very much Sheltieluv and ronrick1943–rich, jim and i enjoy sharing our voyages with you

ronrick1943; y’all will love the papeete to LA itinerary 

we’ve anchored in Bora Bora (first photo below)

This morning we relished the Order of Service Remembrance Day on Regent Seven Seas Mariner

We solemnly honored and remembered:  Veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice, Veterans who have served, Veterans who are serving now and Veterans serving now who are in harms way.

The Mariner entertainment team passionately led by Cruise Director John Barron, with moving assists by Social Hostess Marla and Assistant Cruise Director Elda presented a exceptionally poignant Veteran’s Remembrance Day.

Our program included John narrating; The Service Gathering—reading “In Flanders Fields,” the very special WWI poem by Dr. John McCrea...words still echoing...”We are the dead. Short days ago We Lived, felt dawn, saw sunset

Glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie in Flanders fields.

Marla, then movingly read, “Remembering the Fallen.”  John then introduced, “Ever Living God prayer,” followed by a extraordinarily sung version of this prayer by the Mormon Tabernacle Chrior.

Elda, then poignantly read, “Listening For the Word From God.

Dinos, the Mariner music director beautifully accompanied John, Marla, and Elda.

The Mariner guests in the Constellation Theater led by Cruise Director John joined together to recite the Lord’s Prayer.  Our closing hymn we sang was Amazing Grace. 

We ended this memorable Veterans Rembrance ceremony like we began with Taps—music echos reminding us that Veterans sometime make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

after this tear filled Veterans Remembrance, we joined Rich48100/rich and Barbara for another outstanding lunch in Compass Rose

530CFDCF-87A3-402F-86BE-047C0EFB1A01.jpeg

397B9AAD-005F-4205-875D-F6FE4F8F09AA.jpeg

461797DF-49C8-486B-A0B0-2D9241EC2B6B.jpeg

4B88D3EB-4E68-4EDD-A02E-9F8452C82315.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Threads like this are what make Cruise Critic so special! Thank to all that have posted their thoughts and pictures. And thanks so much for the detailed info on the crew. That is what appears to make a Regent cruise so special is the personal interaction with the crew. You just dont get that on the 4000 passenger monsters.

My wife and I are a decade from retirement and being able to do one of these extended cruises. But it is definitely in the first year of our retirement plans.

Here is an odd question for those of you on world cruises or 90 dayer's. What, other than your family and friends, do you miss most? I am an avid cook and dont know that I would be able to go 3 or 6 months without being able to cook something, ANYTHING! Will they let you cook on the ship?

1 hour ago, WesW said:
Thanks very much Sheltieluv and ronrick1943–rich, jim and i enjoy sharing our voyages with you

ronrick1943; y’all will love the papeete to LA itinerary 

we’ve anchored in Bora Bora (first photo below)

This morning we relished the Order of Service Remembrance Day on Regent Seven Seas Mariner

We solemnly honored and remembered:  Veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice, Veterans who have served, Veterans who are serving now and Veterans serving now who are in harms way.

The Mariner entertainment team passionately led by Cruise Director John Barron, with moving assists by Social Hostess Marla and Assistant Cruise Director Elda presented a exceptionally poignant Veteran’s Remembrance Day.

Our program included John narrating; The Service Gathering—reading “In Flanders Fields,” the very special WWI poem by Dr. John McCrea...words still echoing...”We are the dead. Short days ago We Lived, felt dawn, saw sunset

Glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie in Flanders fields.

Marla, then movingly read, “Remembering the Fallen.”  John then introduced, “Ever Living God prayer,” followed by a extraordinarily sung version of this prayer by the Mormon Tabernacle Chrior.

Elda, then poignantly read, “Listening For the Word From God.

Dinos, the Mariner music director beautifully accompanied John, Marla, and Elda.

The Mariner guests in the Constellation Theater led by Cruise Director John joined together to recite the Lord’s Prayer.  Our closing hymn we sang was Amazing Grace. 

We ended this memorable Veterans Rembrance ceremony like we began with Taps—music echos reminding us that Veterans sometime make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

after this tear filled Veterans Remembrance, we joined Rich48100/rich and Barbara for another outstanding lunch in Compass Rose

530CFDCF-87A3-402F-86BE-047C0EFB1A01.jpeg

397B9AAD-005F-4205-875D-F6FE4F8F09AA.jpeg

461797DF-49C8-486B-A0B0-2D9241EC2B6B.jpeg

4B88D3EB-4E68-4EDD-A02E-9F8452C82315.jpeg

Wes, and most of all, thank you for your service.

Thank you to all that are sharing posts of this cruise.  We so hoped to be on this one but could not make it happen. You are bringing it to life for us.  Love all the photos.  The Remembrance Service looks like  a very special tribute.  Again, thank you and continue to enjoy the cruise!