Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

well, having some problems with my ipad this morning, so posting from ships computer, but cant do pictures.  had a great day yesterday, played games, went to two great talks about going to Mars and the Galapogos, then on to wine tasting.  well attended event,and for me very informative.  great dinner and then on to Broadway performance by singers.  these folks are really good and entertaining.  They definitely do not disappoint.

Today Regent is putting on a great Country fair, always a fun event.  Tonight, Beetle Mania, another fun evening event.  more to come tomorrow, and hopefully ipad will be working better

• Like 1

Briar14/Jan, tnr/Teri and Ray; your very welcome—know both Rich and I simply enjoy sharing our Exceptionally enjoyable on board experiences with y’all.  Teri will let Kadek know “Mom” says hello 🙂

Jan, the lobster roll was delish, just missed taking a snap of Rich with gooey Mayo on his chin where he took a giant bite of his Lobster Roll.

Silver Sweethearts; On the Mariner Today daily show that our CD, John Barron taped last night he enthusiastically let us know that he contracted/contacted a very well known Maui local entertainment group to perform for us on Oct 30th, the day we arrive in Maui.

Also, enrichment lecturer Michael Scott  ‘s lecture yesterday tho titled Galapagos, he compared and contrasted the Hawaiian islands with the Galapagos.

for Travelwell and complementing Rich’s event graph above for today’s activities:

0D85270A-8342-45E1-8350-9CF5546E75B4.jpeg

E510023D-46CB-4FDF-976B-4E5A6E1306D3.jpeg

OK, iPad up and running.  Here are some pics from wine tasting.  Was told folks aren’t drinking as much red wine as expected.  It was an old world V’s. New world wines, basically California V’s France.  California Pinot was a good one and also a California Merlot.  Personal taste only.  Well attended event.  

Till tomorrow

C0581CA0-A31F-43FD-8967-A5FE0A39E404.jpeg

B55120B9-761F-4835-B677-F6042E2EAE73.jpeg

2066A51E-8A34-4E94-A277-0407CDBAC621.jpeg

E6B9734E-1A6E-4D79-9C0B-C3A803B598EB.jpeg

52B8BE83-E3D7-4D95-B139-312F247DD59F.jpeg

936614F4-7636-4D2C-9BDC-512F11E4C765.jpeg

F26BFE7C-BCE7-4E63-A723-3530A607AC4D.jpeg

• Like 2

Decided to post some pictures of the Country Fair on this cruise. Pictures from start to finish.  John Barron and entertainment crew by the pool before they get really busy.  Everyone had a really great time and lots of laughs.  Didn’t win anything, but that was secondary to our great time at the fair.

2783756F-D31B-4EFB-89B7-F8F5DB94950E.jpeg

25657546-5951-486E-8C05-93BB74887B02.jpeg

967A35B3-A850-4D3C-802E-473A51604B2E.jpeg

A1DCB0EB-A2F8-40DB-87FF-F7525CEA8E74.jpeg

DE296C22-EFA7-488B-BCE9-3F339F2DE168.jpeg

BA9F7847-D1F5-4F5C-AC67-898EA65DE91D.jpeg

510CF6AD-0AFE-4402-ADEC-0CF9208CFD0E.jpeg

50BA8652-FE89-48F9-89AC-1C35EAD013C4.jpeg

11BAF1DB-D89F-44FB-8C5C-AD2B95B160EC.jpeg

B3B31EE2-9408-4CDF-9BB3-77CC593203BB.jpeg

E0F23875-E704-4708-ABC7-4D9579AAD470.jpeg

0639DF55-CD7A-40E8-A0C1-C527C0F5B38E.jpeg

CFD6E05F-F5B5-43AC-AA89-9F3ECD930A38.jpeg

397F9FE7-40C4-4817-B2A1-4D707D22E28C.jpeg

DDB554B6-7C33-4405-BF8F-698C2C20EF18.jpeg

872D581A-4C82-4189-9F23-6A391B56FDC8.jpeg

A74F90A8-F7FF-437D-A973-FEBBD45065AB.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you for taking us along on your journey!  The Country Fair looks like a lot of fun.  We have been on 5 Regent cruises (all on the Navigator), but have yet to experience the Country Fair.  Hopefully in the future....

Enjoy your cruise.  We're freezing up here in the north country!

So great to read about, and see in pictures, many of the crew members we got to know on the Mariner last year on the Amazon cruise.  Justas was one of our favorites, although for us we saw him more often when he was acting as a relief bartender at the Mariner Lounge in the evenings.  Warm, friendly and a great sense of humor.

Thank you Hambaghale/Gerry, travelwell, Zqueeze1/Roberto & Pam/TB (have to send you Fair Winds and Following sea son your Fall Foliage thread—enjoy the rich leaf peeping colors and the Navigator) Sheltieluv, and RJ2002.

Thanks to our lead blogger team Rich & Barbara for the fun Country Fair photos—we also had a terrific time laughing and competing in the Mariner crew sponsored games.  The Housekeeping staff’s game was voted (by guests) as the top game to play. 

In the early afternoon was able to capture a few photos and vids of Ida participating in the Boutique sponsored fashion show.  OK, ladies she war a Rubikoff (admit I have no clue what this is).  The Stars lounge was full of guests and and guests (ladies and men models) who wore boutique high fashion dress and jewelry. Anika, Boutique Manager asked Ida to also wear the LeMonde (Globe) earrings to match Ida’s globe necklace and globe ring.  Darn Aniko, looks like I am getting Ida an early earnings Christmas present.

Ida and I then headed to indoor cycling class and Ida participated shortly after in Bianca’s (Fitness instructor on board) “Body Blitz,” so we could relish last night’s  Bucco Milanese in Setti Mari.  Will share some phots and vids in next post.

Today, we have some wonderful enrichment lectures, include a guest lecture by fellow US Army veteran Alan and his lovel wifeJudy Lewis on the “Honor Flight” program. We have Compass Rose lunch with longtime cruise friends Pat & Mike.  And tonight, the Entertaiinment Team leaders (CD John Barron, A/CD Blake, and Social Hostess Marla along with Mariner Production Team Cast will present a variety show with singing and dancing.

Now for the last Mariner crew member profile this segment,

Have you ever wondered how Regent Seven Seas ships get everything in and out of the ship (with the exception of garbage)?

Today we will meet the behind the scenes crew member, Mariner Procurement Master, who manages almost one hundred thousand items that Mariner guests enjoy during their voyages.

The Mariner’s Procurement manager (until recently referred to as the Provisions Master) is Jay Rasing.  Jay hails from the Manila Philippines. He has been with Regent since January 2000, working on board Regent ships for nearly 19 years.  Jay’s first contract with Regent was on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

Jay is married to his beautiful wife, Mary Ann Rasing for almost two decades (19 years).  Jay and Mary Ann have three children (two girls), Hillarie May Rasing (18) is in college now focusing her studies on medicine.  Next, is Meiji Denzel Brianne (17) who is in her last year of Senior High School.  Jay and Mary Ann’s son, Joshua Lawrence Rasing ( 15), is in now in High School

Jay, as the Mariner’s Provision master (now called Provision Master) principal duty is ordering about one hundred thousand food  & beverage items for Regent guests to enjoy.   As, the Mariner’s General Manager Michael, told me, “Jay manages everything that goes in/out of the Mariner except garbage.”  

For example for a typical two week voyage; Jay and his Procurement team order about 20,000 bottles of water, and fifteen thousand pounds of fresh vegetables.  For Regent guest’s adult beverage enjoyment, the Mariner Procurement team orders about 15 cases of wine and 15 cases of beer for every two week period.

Jay let me know his most challenging duty is having to manage a missed full loading which is equivalent of six sea containers.   Jay and his Procurement Team (Franz, Erwin, Budy, and Roel) then diligently do their best to manage  shortages to provision the Mariner dining and bar areas transparently. The end state of Jay’s team’s very hard Provision work is Regent Mariner guests continue to enjoy dining on their favorite dishes during very short and very long voyages.  And guests, get to continue enjoying their favorite adult beverage or quenching their thirst after a demanding excursion with an refreshing cold bottle of water.

Jay, supervises a Mariner Procurement  team of four.  The Mariner Procure team is made up of two head store keepers (Franz and Erwin) and two utility store crew members (Budy and Roel). please see a few photos of Jay and members of the Mariner Procurement team below

Jay lets me know what he likes most about working for Regent is solving Provision problems—he relishes the challenge.  He tells me, that Regent treats everyone like one big family.  Also, Jay emphasizes, that Regent pays a very good salary.  He lets me know know they eat well on onboard—that the Crew Mess meals are great. Jay enjoys traveling the world while working on Regent.  His favorite port to visit in the world, is Juneau, Alaska, where he enjoys the breathtaking views of nature.

AD370B35-2FB3-433C-82B4-10912883FC14.jpeg

C0E3415D-CE48-4689-8AAD-4939312989BC.jpeg

15FAA476-AAF5-4D68-B2A9-93C7A030C07F.jpeg

E075A2C6-7304-4FC3-BE67-AD4CB4A604B6.jpeg

95456C38-CC18-4701-A00B-C5D0D81BD230.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WesW said:

For example for a typical two week voyage; Jay and his Procurement team order about 20,000 bottles of water, and fifteen thousand pounds of fresh vegetables.  For Regent guest’s adult beverage enjoyment, the Mariner Procurement team orders about 15 cases of wine and 15 cases of beer for every two week period.

Seems like a pretty small number.  Could it be 1500 on the wine?  Figure a bottle of wine for each three people at dinner.  That's over 200 bottles per day, as a very conservative number.  That's close to 20 cases.  And as I've noticed, that is counting conservatively.

Otherwise....great info and insight.

• Like 1

Thanks Flyer Talker; and a few RSSC Social club members also wondered if 15 cases was too low.  They suggested maybe Jay meant to say 15 pallets.   Will follow up with the GM on board and get fidelity/clarification.  Cheers! 🙂

And the wine case consumption per day/per month “final answer,” per General Manager, Michael Coghlan is about 15 cases per day or about 450 cases per month. The case consumption is dependent on the itinerary (# of sea days vs port days) as well.

xrvlcruiser/Peggy; good question...and yes containers that were due to be delivered in San Diego have been rerouted to arrive in Honolulu next Tuesday, November 1st.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Well, we are now entering the final day of our transit from Acapulco to Maui.  Although it has been fun, and everyone has been great, and kept us entertained and fed, I am ready to hit dry land and see some things other than this wide open ocean called the Pacific.

now as for yesterday, went to a couple of lectures, the most interesting of which was our rocket scientist that gave a lot of information about the products that came out of the space program and the benefits to human kind.  From WD-40, to Teflon, Velcro, miniaturation do heart pump, many medical devices, computer stuff, and a whole number of other things.  He said that these products until this time has returned 25 times what the space program cost.  He says space program to date was about 1.2 trillion, and all of the products contributes about 25 trillion to the economy.

another Baggo event,  throw bean bags from one floor to another to dry to get the bag in a small hole.  A challenge with the ship moving around on the ocean.  Did other stuff and lounged by the pool, and got ready for dinner and evening entertainment.  Had prime rib, and it was tasty.  Shared a table with two other couples getting off in Hawaii.  Hard to believe that the first segment is rapidly coming to a close.  There will be about 140 of us continuing on, and more guests coming aboard.  New faces and stories.  Looking forward to meeting more folks, and all the new, about 60, meet and minglers.

great show last night with John, Marla and assistant cruise director along with the rest of the entertainment team.  Tonight is formal night, and Krew Kapers. This is always a fun event.

until next time, this is Rich signing off.

• Like 1

I thought 15 cases of wine (12 bottles/per I suppose) seemed very low for a ship with 700+ passengers.  It stil seems low to me if it is for each day, especially on Regent where much of the wine is included so people will order more.

I once had the luck to visit the Provision area on the Mariner when sailing from LA to Ft L. via the canal.  Executive Chef organised the tour and the crew there were, to say the least, impressive in their knowledge of where each item was located.  I was asked to "test" them so asked for Marmite (An English "condiment" that you spread on bread and butter)  within one minute I had a jar in my hands!   The storage areas and the cold rooms, freezers and even caviar locker were fascinating to see.

Wes - these reports on the "behind the scenes" crew are terrific.  Thank you SO much for them and the great photos that come along with them.

Gerry

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your very kind words and well wishes Keith1010/Anne Marie & Keith and Hambagale/Gerry and Ken .   Ida and I are having fun on this extended sea day South Pacific crossing.  However, as our fellow blogger Rich so eloquently says above we (and the Mariner crew)do so look forward to stepping on land (Maui) tomorrow morning!  

After all guests go through face to face checks with US Customs Border Protection Control, Ida and I look very forward to our Maui Northshore and Waterfalls excursion.  On Wednesday, we are taking the Rainforest and Waterfall hike.  We are anxious to move our legs and walk around and experience the beauty that Maui will Ofer.

The Mariner’s entertainment team, led by CD John Barron, A/CD Blake and Social Hostess Marla have gone far above & beyond in organizing and masterfully delivering  entertainment for almost double the sea days we were originally scheduled to enjoy.

We enjoyed a wonderful Variety show last night put on by John, Blake, and Marla (boy, can these outstanding entertainers sing well). 

We also look very forward to tonight’s Krew Kapers and then dinner with the fitness instructor (Bianca, she leaves tomorrow for Oceania’s Sienna, alas) and Eddie Pszemiarower the Mariner-cruise consultant.  This is our second formal optional nite and per Ida’s order...err mean...direction we will again be in formal wear.  We have planned a cruise critic and RSSC meet and mingle group photo after Krew Kapers—hoping most meet & mingles come up to the stage steps for our photo.

pls enjoy some sunset snaps taken Saturday night from our veranda 

216EAE12-43AA-45C9-93F6-4E34736F1CF2.jpeg

25EC721F-530E-4472-81C3-581EB51F38C1.jpeg

F3E9377F-33D9-4F3B-9B9B-D08588977EC5.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WesW said:

On Wednesday, we are taking the Rainforest and Waterfall hike

Wes,

We took that excursion back in 2014 and was one of our favorites. It had rained the night before, but was clear for our walk. They gave us a backpack (to carry our lunch) and a walking stick, which I used because the trails were a bit muddy. Hope the weather holds up.

Bill

Wes,

Enjoying all the post's As you might remember Christina and I were going to join you guys in Honolulu but had to cancel. The thing is we still had air to HNL. So what to do - yes we are on our way over to watch you sail away ! What are you doing the day your in Honolulu ? Keep enjoying your cruise.

John

BBfromCA/Bill & Matt; thanks so much for the context/background on the Rainforest Waterfall hike.  Will make sure to use the walking stick they provide (could have brought our Leki collapsible stix).

CaptainJohn/John & Christina; we are currently scheduled for (guests in transition to this leg and beyond) the 5 hr (0745 start) Pearl Harbor and Honolulu tour, but we have seen these sights tho 34 years ago during our honeymoon on Oahu.  So, we could instead link up with y’all early morn till about noon ish, if convenient...just let us know.

Edited by WesW

1 hour ago, WesW said:

BBfromCA/Bill & Matt; thanks so much for the context/background on the Rainforest Waterfall hike.  Will make sure to use the walking stick they provide (could have brought our Leki collapsible stix).

CaptainJohn/John & Christina; we are currently scheduled for (guests in transition to this leg and beyond) the 5 hr (0745 start) Pearl Harbor and Honolulu tour, but we have seen these sights tho 34 years ago during our honeymoon on Oahu.  So, we could instead link up with y’all early morn till about noon ish, if convenient...just let us know.

Oh Wes, I was not trying to suggesting we try to get together as much as we would like too. Just interested in what you guys were doing. Think you should take advantage of the short time you have here. Having lived in Honolulu we just curious what you decided upon.

Interesting that you guys honeymooned in Hawaii , we were engaged in Waikiki 39 yrs ago .

Pearl Harbor is perfect !!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, captjohn said:

Wes,

Enjoying all the post's As you might remember Christina and I were going to join you guys in Honolulu but had to cancel. The thing is we still had air to HNL. So what to do - yes we are on our way over to watch you sail away ! What are you doing the day your in Honolulu ? Keep enjoying your cruise.

John

John, I was disappointed to hear you cancelled the cruise.  I was looking forward to meeting our "neighbors".  

Terri

• Like 1

Land ahoy, Wes and Ida and Rich and Barbara!  You didn't miss a blogging beat during the string of sea days, now I'm looking forward to your accounts of your first day on land in more than a week.  Lahaina is one of the prettiest ports to anchor in--hope you get a rainbow.  Loving your blog!

Rich

P.S.  Your eight days at sea matches my longest at-sea stretch with Royal Viking Line.  I remember that time aboard the Star most fondly and gratefully, as I met Ginny a day out of L.A.  By the time we arrived in Papeete on January 22, 1977, with nary a port along the route to distract us, our happy fate as a couple was sealed!

• Like 2