Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

Well I'm back... yeah a bit remiss at blogging.  Actually for some reason yesterday I couldn't make any comments  so I'll catch up.  First a quick addition to Rich and Wes on the Hilo stop.  As the "newbie" it was our first experience with a Regent Shore Excursion.  I have to say, not a huge fan of big bus tours, but this was really nice.  We had the second tour of the Volcanos and Blossoms.  We walked off the ship at 10:30 for a 10:45 meet on the pier.  We were directed to an area where two busses were waiting and got right onto a bus.  As soon as the bus was full we left...early!  Our driver and guide, Jane, was fantastic.  We went to the Akatuska Orchid Farm.  Had about a half hour to look at the beautiful orchids and their lifecycles then we broke into small busses for the trip to the Volcano National Forest since, as Jane explained, they don't want large motor coaches on the roads into the park.  Since the eruptions earlier this year a significant part of the park has been closed.  We stopped at the Steam Vents for spectacular views of the crater and, of course the steam venting.  You can walk right up to some of the vents and feel the steam!  After we went to observe the Dome that was formed after the 1959 eruption.  Jane explained that the lava fountain was FOUR TIMES the height of the Dome!  And she said that in 1959 they allowed people to drive to where we were to observe the eruption.  She said it was so popular that people sat in a 10 mile long line of cars to get 5 minutes of viewing time.  

We then spent time at the Volcano House, and the Visitors center where there was a very interesting video of the 2018 eruption.  Amazingly when the Cauldron collapsed, besides the area of the cauldron increasing significantly, it went from a depth of 280 Feet to over 1600 Feet deep! 

Since we had a bit of extra time after rebounding our large bus, Jane took us around Banyon Drive and pointed out Banyon trees planted by a number of famous people. 

So, first Regent Shore Excursion... I really enjoyed it!  They did a great job of putting together a worthwhile tour in spite of the disaster of the eruptions earlier this year closing so much of the park.  

As Wes has posted, we attended the Meet and Mingle yesterday.  What a great time meeting so many people.  Wes and Regent did a better than First Rate job setting up a fantastic party for all!  Kudos to Wes and the Regent Staff.  

Margaret and I relaxed yesterday trying to catch up on spending 6 days in Honolulu with old college friends of hers.  Plan another relaxing at sea day today.  Looking forward to our first Champagne and Caviar Brunch.  

Here's a few pics to add to Rich's.  

DSC06501.jpg

DSC06506.jpg

DSC06509.jpg

DSC06514.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

DSC06525.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

On 11/2/2018 at 10:51 AM, Paul Bradley said:

Hi Papaflamingo, glad you are enjoying yourselves! May I please ask what suite # you have? We'll be in 927 on Mariner next June, so looking to see if ours will be similar to yours. :classic_smile:  Would it be possible to post more suite photos, and your impressions, in future, please? 

Paul, here are a few pics of our PH.  We are in 909.  Love the suite!  We do have one with a bathtub/shower combo.  Not a big deal as I am not that tall. But when showering, it is a big step in and a very low ceiling.  Not sure if yours is a tub/shower or shower.  Closet is a bit small but still quite nice.  There is also a nice vanity in the corner not shown in the pics.  If you want any more pics of anything specific, let me know.  You won't be disappointed with a Penthouse.  It's a beautiful suite.  Oh yeah, there are 3 drawers in the buffet and 6 drawers in the closet. For us that's plenty.   Also the curtain separating the bed from sitting area really keeps the room nice and dark for sleeping!  Hope this helps.  

Again, any questions or any other pics, ask away!  😎

DSC06445.jpg

DSC06446.jpg

DSC06448.jpg

DSC06449.jpg

• Like 1

We hiked Kilauea Iki in 2017 - not a hike for the faint hearted.   Footing was perilous as we got to the crater floor and it was a hot hike to the other side.   The worst part was hiking back up to the car park.  What a wake up call for more aerobic exercise!   

• Like 1

Well only eight days until we start our epic Journey to join the Mariner. Scotland  UK to London. Then London to LA, then LA to Papette.  Day to recover in Papeete then We will certainly be ready to board, and enjoy the voyage. Can’t wait. We won’t see you Wes, as I think you depart in Papette, but thanks for your blogs, hope we have as much fun as you’ve had. 

Lynda

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WesW said:

Thank you for you very kind words fizzy, will be sure Rich, Barbara, Jim and Margaret hear your enjoying our Grand Voyage thread.  We will enjoy lunch today with Rich and Barbara before Ida and Barbara go to June Teruya’s how to make Polynesian bracelets out of Kukui nuts, coconuts, seashells and bracelets.

thanks too Boblerm/Bob & Jeanie for your hearts, thumbs up and smiles—we are loving Kasie and Boogie and their wonderfully upbeat (dance friendly) music.

If y’all r wondering why Ida and I generally, normally, usually have our thumbs up in our photos, for us, it is our way of sharing with our friends, cruise critic friends, and our family that we are loving life—everything is OK— at the photo moment.

Time for another Regent Mariner crew member profile:

Have you ever wondered who produces the daily flyer/cruise newsletter, “Passages,” on Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  Well, let’s meet the Mariner Crew member who is responsible for publishing the Passages.

Now, it is time for another Regent Seven Seas Mariner Crew Member profile.  These crew members work behind the scenes, normally below decks or out of sight of the Regent guests.  Yet, these crew are pivotal to all Regent guests enjoying their voyage.

Please meet the Mariner Desktop Publisher, Patrick Kiritescu, who calls Romania home.  He was originally from Transylvania.  Patrick is single and hoping to find the love of his life.  

Patrick is on his first contract with Regent, that began in July on the Voyager. 

HIs favorite Regent ship, is the one he is currently working on.

Prior to his Regent contract, he worked for another major cruise line for five years.  

On Oct 10th, in Miami, Patrick was transferred from the Voyager to the Mariner.

When he finishes this first contract, he will return to Romania where he will continue building his summer house on land belonging to his great grandfather.

Prior to starting work with Regent, Patrick worked the previous five years for another major cruise line as Desktop publisher.  Then, Patrick led/managed a team of eight crew members.  On his former cruise line his team under his leadership published daily cruise flyers in seven languages.

Now, on the Mariner as Desktop Publisher, he publishes the Mariner Passages himself in only one language.

Patricks main responsibility as Desktop Publisher for Mariner is printing all flyers/newsletters for Guests, and Crew.  For example, he publishes all menus (about 700 daily) and special flyers for entertainment, and transition day (Welcome aboard, Farewell, and In Transit) passages.

He tells me his most challenging duty is on transition duty. On the day before he easily spends about 11 hours producing the end of cruise comments flyer, all destinations excursion flyers, and multiple Passage editions (Welcome, Farewell, In Transit).

When asked what he liked best about working on Regent.  Patrick told me emphatically, that all departments on the Mariner work like clockwork.  Further, he lets me know, on Regent unlike the other major cruise line he worked on for five years, everything is organized.  Moreover, on Regent the crew really welcomes you and makes you feel like family. 

Patrick, importantly points out that for crew, being treated like family is very important for the new crew on board, as they are separated from their home family for six to eight months.

So, next time you peruse your dinner menu or read the daily Passages, please remember that Patrick, our Mariner desktop publisher, and  a mighty Team of only One publishes each Passage and menu.

D7864803-C470-46DE-BF01-57105196EE2F.jpeg

D340FAEE-D614-4C1B-9304-952354FCBBBC.jpeg

Wes, thank your for taking the time to take us behind the scenes and sharing about the crew and some people will never interact with.  You have such a great style of presentation.

looking forward to our Explorer cruise next year 24 days starting in Barcelona.

Ida and yourself always look great in your photos.

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Paul, here are a few pics of our PH.  We are in 909.  Love the suite!  We do have one with a bathtub/shower combo.  Not a big deal as I am not that tall. But when showering, it is a big step in and a very low ceiling.  Not sure if yours is a tub/shower or shower.  Closet is a bit small but still quite nice.  There is also a nice vanity in the corner not shown in the pics.  If you want any more pics of anything specific, let me know.  You won't be disappointed with a Penthouse.  It's a beautiful suite.  Oh yeah, there are 3 drawers in the buffet and 6 drawers in the closet. For us that's plenty.   Also the curtain separating the bed from sitting area really keeps the room nice and dark for sleeping!  Hope this helps.  

Again, any questions or any other pics, ask away!  😎

Wow, that's terrific, Jim, I appreciate you taking the time to do this! There's so much space - which will be handy as our daughter will be joining my wife and I....I expect they'll be filling the closet..... 

927 has a pull-out bed/sofa in the sitting area, but I think our suite will be basically the same otherwise.  I showed this photos to my wife and she's very impressed. 

Do you think there's enough space on the balcony for a third chair, or do you feel it be a bit cramped? 

Thanks again, and I hope you are having a ball on the Mariner!

• Like 1

What happens to your trash when on Regent Seven Seas Mariner?

Meet the Mariner’s Incinerator operator who is our next “behind the scenes” crew member, whose hard work that guests on board are not aware of, is critical to the enjoyment of their cruise.

Mark Mondonedo Cuer, according to the Mariner General Manager, Michael, “is the hardest working crew member on board.” Mark hails from Philippines, Cebu near Boracay island.  He is married to the beautiful, Gervinho, and they have one adorable 13 year old daughter, Hera Danna.  Like her father (Mark is one of the Mariner Krew Caper performers that shines brightly during the hip hop dance performance).  Mark and Gervinho’s daughter, Hera Danna is following in her father’s dance steps as she is also a very active upcoming hip hop dancer.  Both Mark and Hera danna learn new hip hop steps by intensely watching Hip Hop dance performances on “you tube.”

Mark began working in Regent’s Deck department, more than five years ago in early 2013.  Mark began his career with Regent’s Mariner which is still his favorite ship to serve on the Mariner. Mark’s, very first crew duty assignment was as a dish washer for the Mariner Galley about two years or two contracts ago.

Mark is now a very proud member of  the Mariner Deck Department where Mark serves as a member of the three person Incinerator Operator Team.  Mark’s main crew duties are to segregate, all the Mariner garbage (Guest, Crew, Staff); paper, plastic, wet plastic, plastic bottles, glass, aluminum cans, tin cans, hazardous waste (electrical,razor blades). 

Mark and his team vigorously, during their four hour work shifts, work as whirling dervishes actively putting separated garbage in the appropriate bins for plastic, glass, cans, and hazardous waster.  Then Mark and his team use the Mariner’s glass crusher, plastic compactor, plastic botttle compactor, can crusher (densifier) to reduce the volume of the Mariner of this segregated garbage.  You easily can now begin to visualize, why Michael, the General Manager says, “Mark is the Mariner’s hardest working crew member.”

The GM says Mark is the hardest working Mariner crew member.  Mark, tells me his most challenging duty as an incinerator operator is Off Loading garbage he receives from Housekeeping initial trash bags (suite garbage).  Mark and his team are use Personal Protective Equipment (e.g., gloves, et. Al.,) during their Mariner incinerator duty.  Mark, also says his easiest incinerator duty is when he is on break and gets the opportunity to go ashore with fellow crew members.

Asked Why I like working for Regent, Mark enthusiastically says (comparing his time with another cruise line) on Regent, “there is no discrimination, there is very strong comraderie/bond with fellow crew.”  And most importantly, Mark says, “Regent really cares (e.g. with change in itinerary due to original itinerary path leading smack in the Hurricane Willa’s eye) causing the Mariner to miss ports (including San Diego).  Regent and the Mariner leadership then, sent three crew home (departing from Costa Rica vs. San Diego), leaving some departments short (over the next eight consecutive sea days) by ensuring these crew were able to reunite with after more than six months of duty with their families.

Please, remember that the hard work that Mark and the Mariner Incinerator team performs when you through your next can of soda in your in suite trash can.

9BD9C688-35C0-4CCD-8B40-92C214BF8979.jpeg

2D499B5C-833F-4638-8353-0B6AFC345667.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Folks:

In post 250, second picture, we see that Jim and Yuki are onboard for this portion of your cruise.  Please tell them that Pam and Roberto (Z and TB) say hello from the Navigator!  Thanks for the assist.

Also, is Ray from TNR behaving? They are also great folks to cruise with.

Z and TB

What happens to your trash when on Regent Seven Seas Mariner?

Meet the Mariner’s Incinerator operator who is our next “behind the scenes” crew member, whose hard work that guests on board are not aware of, is critical to the enjoyment of their cruise.

Mark Mondonedo Cuer, according to the Mariner General Manager, Michael, “is the hardest working crew member on board.” Mark hails from Philippines, Cebu near Boracay island.  He is married to the beautiful, Gervinho, and they have one adorable 13 year old daughter, Hera Danna.  Like her father (Mark is one of the Mariner Krew Caper performers that shines brightly during the hip hop dance performance).  Mark and Gervinho’s daughter, Hera Danna is following in her father’s dance steps as she is also a very active upcoming hip hop dancer.  Both Mark and Hera danna learn new hip hop steps by intensely watching Hip Hop dance performances on “you tube.”

Mark began working in Regent’s Deck department, more than five years ago in early 2013.  Mark began his career with Regent’s Mariner which is still his favorite ship to serve on the Mariner. Mark’s, very first crew duty assignment was as a dish washer for the Mariner Galley about two years or two contracts ago.

Mark is now a very proud member of  the Mariner Deck Department where Mark serves as a member of the three person Incinerator Operator Team.  Mark’s main crew duties are to segregate, all the Mariner garbage (Guest, Crew, Staff); paper, plastic, wet plastic, plastic bottles, glass, aluminum cans, tin cans, hazardous waste (electrical,razor blades). 

Mark and his team vigorously, during their four hour work shifts, work as whirling dervishes actively putting separated garbage in the appropriate bins for plastic, glass, cans, and hazardous waster.  Then Mark and his team use the Mariner’s glass crusher, plastic compactor, plastic botttle compactor, can crusher (densifier) to reduce the volume of the Mariner of this segregated garbage.  You easily can now begin to visualize, why Michael, the General Manager says, “Mark is the Mariner’s hardest working crew member.”

The GM says Mark is the hardest working Mariner crew member.  Mark, tells me his most challenging duty as an incinerator operator is Off Loading garbage he receives from Housekeeping initial trash bags (suite garbage).  Mark and his team are use Personal Protective Equipment (e.g., gloves, et. Al.,) during their Mariner incinerator duty.  Mark, also says his easiest incinerator duty is when he is on break and gets the opportunity to go ashore with fellow crew members.

Asked Why I like working for Regent, Mark enthusiastically says (comparing his time with another cruise line) on Regent, “there is no discrimination, there is very strong comraderie/bond with fellow crew.”  And most importantly, Mark says, “Regent really cares (e.g. with change in itinerary due to original itinerary path leading smack in the Hurricane Willa’s eye) causing the Mariner to miss ports (including San Diego).  Regent and the Mariner leadership then, sent three crew home (departing from Costa Rica vs. San Diego), leaving some departments short (over the next eight consecutive sea days) by ensuring these crew were able to reunite with after more than six months of duty with their families.

Please, remember that the hard work that Mark and the Mariner Incinerator team performs when you through your next can of soda in your in suite trash can.

9B79AB3E-BD2E-439A-934D-7E80FB0B0FC1.jpeg

7573522B-ECF0-492C-AA54-90C422177D4C.jpeg

D695F458-4277-45D7-A932-65594EE265FD.jpeg

E3D8918D-15DB-4D33-BD19-B515EA78888C.jpeg

CA6107A6-4129-4AEB-AA5D-A38BDCE50AB6.jpeg

064273B9-6128-43F8-A1BD-B3B39C26CD1D.jpeg

8A29038B-594C-49B3-AF1F-0A1510ECCE92.jpeg

E2618E9C-F8E6-49B1-B84C-88F75E6C5E94.jpeg

• Like 2

Malbec Wine, Silver Spectre; Thank you very much for your way too kind words.

Zqueeze1/Roberto & Pam; believe Jim and Yuni r Rich and Barbara suite neighbors since this photo was taken during the block party.  Believe, they stopped by Rich, Barb and our table yesterday at lunch and introduced themselves.  Am sure Rich and Barbara will see them soon and pass Pam and your warm regards along.  Hoping your Fall Foliage Navigator voyage is super.

16 minutes ago, WesW said:

Malbec Wine, Silver Spectre; Thank you very much for your way too kind words.

Zqueeze1/Roberto & Pam; believe Jim and Yuni r Rich and Barbara suite neighbors since this photo was taken during the block party.  Believe, they stopped by Rich, Barb and our table yesterday at lunch and introduced themselves.  Am sure Rich and Barbara will see them soon and pass Pam and your warm regards along.  Hoping your Fall Foliage Navigator voyage is super.

Thanks, Wes and we appreciate it.  Our cruise is great so far although the weather has been a little disappointing.  But, hey, it beats being at work.

Z and TB

• Like 1

Zqueeze1, will be sure to say hi to Jim and Yuni.  Small world, and hope your weather improves.  

Went to a good morning talk yesterday about the Polynesian islands, and that discussion will continue today.

Great lunch yesterday with Wes and Ida and then another lecture.  Faded in the afternoon so nap time, woke up in time for a fantastic meal in Sette Marie.  It was the most crowded we had seen it.  On the other segment it was lucky to be half full. People were being turned away if they showed up later than 7.  Had to bring other staff up from Compass Rose to help out.  Never know from segment to segment where people might want to eat, but Regent handled it smoothly.  Met a great couple from Australia, and swapped cruising stories.  They have cruised Regent a lot, and are just enjoying life.

Went to John Barron performance, and it was well attended.  He did a great job as usual.

Today we cross the equator and of course there will be all the pageantry and initiation that goes with that event.  Pollywogs and Shellbacks will be in attendance having a great time.

Prime 7 for dinner tonight, so looking forward to a great dinner.

Until next time, signing off.

• Like 2

Well, I am back earlier than thought, and who do I run into at the coffee connection, but Jim of Jim and Yuki, our block party floor neighbors.  He sends his regards to Roberto and Pam.  He also wants to thank them for recommending actions he can take to help with sleep apnea problem.  He got the machine, and changed his life.  Able to sleep better and much better quality of life.

sounds like a. Great connection between you guys, and again small world and wonderful that a chance meeting on a ship can really help a fellow guest.  It is truly wonderful cruising and meeting people with all kinds of different life experiences.

Till next time.

• Like 1

DSC06552.thumb.jpg.275e53441292552600ff4c92ed0dd5ad.jpgWe had a nice relaxing day at sea yesterday.  After a wonderful Sunday Champagne and Caviar brunch (with Eggs Benedict of course), we attended a very interesting lecture on Polynesia.  After the lecture we ran into Bill and Denise from the Meet and Mingle and chatted with them and then headed to a light lunch in La Veranda.  

Went to the cabin and after a short nap, did a quick workout in the gym.  

Watched the beautiful Sunset from our balcony, then attended the Veteran's Cocktail Hour in Stars Lounge, followed by drink in the Horizon Lounge and a fantastic dinner in Chartreuse.  

All in all a very nice and relaxing day.  Looking forward to the Shellback Initiation today as we cross the Equator.  😂😎

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

• Like 2

I was idly looking at reports on Cruise Critic about a World Cruise by Azamara. There were special events available only to the world cruisers: segmenters were not allowed.  They had their very own concierge. They had their own WC badges and one report said they always wore them and did not mix with the segmenters.  Ugh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We had a nice relaxing day at sea yesterday.  After a wonderful Sunday Champagne and Caviar brunch (with Eggs Benedict of course), we attended a very interesting lecture on Polynesia.

Is the champagne and caviar brunch a regular Sunday event throughout all Regent ships, or just a special sea day event?

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, forgap said:

We hiked Kilauea Iki in 2017 - not a hike for the faint hearted.   Footing was perilous as we got to the crater floor and it was a hot hike to the other side.   The worst part was hiking back up to the car park.  What a wake up call for more aerobic exercise!   

We did the same several years ago.  I totally agree.  Plus the lava tore up my tennis shoes.  You need really rugged hiking boots or shoes for this trail.

Rich and Barbara, we also stayed at the Lava House that trip.  Very nice and food was excellent.

Oops, mistakingly cut/pasted the Incinerator operator’s story with our photos from yesterday...still in cruise critic learning mode 101 with this new CC format.  Original text found last below.

Rich, indeed our Compass Rose lunch was wonderful.  We’re now learning towards eating lunch in CR for every sea day—the quiet ambiance and pace of service is making this our go to Mariner lunch venue.

Papaflamingo/Jim and Margaret; your sunset photo is stunning.  Very nice to briefly link up in Horizon Lounge prior to y’alls Chartreuse dinner.

DavidtheWonderer;  unfortunate to learn about the distinct separation of WC and segmenters on Azamara.  Regent almost seamlessly integrates the segmenters and Grand Voyage cruisers that we have done.

Jcruikshank; Yes, Caviar & Champagne is a fleet wide treat every Sunday morning in Compass Rose and La Veranda.

And another Good Morning from the Pacific Ocean as we continue cruising on Regent’’s Seven Seas Mariner enroute to our first French Polynesian Port of Nuku Hiva.

Yesterday, Ida and I enjoyed another fun filled second sea day as we cruise to Nuku Hiva.  We learned from two wel done Enrichment lectures by Dr. Losey (Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia) , Dr. Sowell, Baggo Officer’s challenge and lunch in Compass Rose with Rich48100/Rich and Barbara.  Ida then enjoyed June Teruya’s Polynesian craft 101 class (Bracelet making).

Ida and I enjoyed having pre dinner cocktails in the Horizon Lounge while dancing to the “get up and dance tunes” of the outstanding Spontaneous Duo (Kasia and Boogie). We then headed to Compass Rose for an outstanding (yet again) dinner (Chicken Kiev and the Chef’s fresh fish (Halibut) paired with a special Amarone that Kadek (Mariner, head Sommelier) recommended.

We then headed to the always outstanding performance of John Barron Goes Big Band.  John is so wonderfully entertaining (singing, dancing and joking) and so beautifully complimented by the sounds of the Regent Signature Orchestra.  Bravo John and Regent Signature Orchestra

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WesW said:

DavidtheWonderer;  unfortunate to learn about the distinct separation of WC and segmenters on Azamara.  Regent almost seamlessly integrates the segmenters and Grand Voyage cruisers that we have done.

I've never done a mass market cruise, and so the closest I've ever seen to class distinctions were fairly minor things on both Oceania and Azamara. This world cruise on Azamara sounds disgusting.  Too bad: my one Azamara experience was quite positive.

One reason why we keep coming back to Regent, and of course the beloved Paul Gauguin, is that none of that class nonsense happens.

We did a segment on Voyager from Rio to Miami that was the last segment of a grand cruise.  There were no class distinctions.  The segmenters like us never felt excluded in any way, either by the ship or the other passengers.  Of course, the people who had been on for the previous segments had formed some close bonds with each other but, being Regent folks, made us feel most welcome.

• Like 1

David,

Regent does a couple of event for the Full cruisers on a World Cruise - the pre-boarding Party and one some time during the trip - most lines do something similar for the Full WC passengers.  Yes, the other passengers know about it but it's not a big deal. We do get jackets and polo shirts but again - I've rarely seen anyone make a bid deal out of any of this.

Your comment about people  bonding with passengers on earlier segments is normal and happens on almost any cruise you go on - as you know.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
  • Like 2