Toiletry Bag

VickyBee

I’ve read that a toiletry bag that hangs on the bathroom door is a real plus. I’ve been looking at several on Amazon. The ones I was initially interested in has one flaw, when hangin they flop open and things fall out. Would any of you experienced cruisers let me know your advice

33 minutes ago, VickyBee said:

I’ve read that a toiletry bag that hangs on the bathroom door is a real plus. I’ve been looking at several on Amazon. The ones I was initially interested in has one flaw, when hangin they flop open and things fall out. Would any of you experienced cruisers let me know your advice

After 37 cruises I have to say I have never purchased one of these.  I guess if you have several people in the cabin and need the storage, but I seem to have enough room for all our stuff, since it’s just the two of us.

Just put "hanging toiletry bag" into an Amazon search, lots of choices and you can see how they hang.

Our wet toiletries are in qt.zippy bags as we travel carry-on only, but I do have a dry-only hanging "medicine chest" of OTC remedies and first aid items. It's something like this

eBay link

but sturdier. All the compartments close, which is fine for things not gotten into frequently, not so good for daily use. Find the storage in HAL bathrooms to be generous for the two of us.

1 hour ago, VickyBee said:

Would any of you experienced cruisers let me know your advice

Ours was included with a suitcase, can't advise where to buy. 4 pockets by 4 pockets, giving 16 clear plastic sections, each with it's own zipper. For a bit we were cruising about every 6 months. This "traveling pharmacy" made packing/unpacking a cinch. 

7 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

We use the hang-up organizer bags from Lands End.  They have mesh pockets so items stay in the bag.  We use them whenever we travel not just for cruises. 

This is what we use, also, land and sea.

9 hours ago, VickyBee said:

This is the one I use and love it.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-184/Travel-Light-Wash-Pouch

I travel with carry onmomly and this weighs next to nothing, is compressible and all pockets close. I don't have full size of any toiletry, so I don't need an open caddy type. One concern might be that it is from Canada so I don't know their shipping rules, but reduce the price by 30% for currency conversion. REI has something similar...the shower roll...but it is a bulkier product.

Add us to the list of those who have never found this - or any other - type of additional storage necessary to purchase then pack and bring along.  The staterooms have provided enough space and storage locations to accommodate us over the years.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Add us to the list of those who have never found this - or any other - type of additional storage necessary to purchase then pack and bring along.  The staterooms have provided enough space and storage locations to accommodate us over the years.

The toiletry bag that I suggested is the only toiletry bag I use...not an additional one. The fact that it happens to hang just makes it versatile.  The fact that it weighs almost nothing, but bigger than a make up bag for 3-4 week travels also makes it useful.

I don't hold with over the door shoe bags, and more 'stuff'(I am a carry on only traveler), but after years of not using a hanging bag, I realize now how wonderful it actually functions.

But something like this is like the difference of opinion on packing cubes vs plastic bags vs neither 🙂 I like cubes for their efficiency, and now have added this hanging bag for the same reason. Works for me.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It actually isn't additional storage since it holds both her stuff and mine so we end up not packing two bags of toiletries. As mentioned the fact that it hangs just adds to it's versatility (and means that we don't have to fully unpack it when we get to where we're going).

Thanks everybody. I googled a photo of a bathroom on Island Princess and see there’s pleanty of counter space!  I can see where over the door shoe pockets and collapsing shelf things are overkill. They would take up more room in your luggage than they are worth. I admire anyone that can cruise with carry on luggage only. I usually do too. But the Alaska cruise we’re going on requires warmer bulky clothes plus nicer stuff for roaming around the ship!

• Like 1

My toiletry bag is similar to the Amazon basic hanging version. Takes up no more room in my suitcase than any other toiletry bag and hangs on the hook on the bathroom door- leaving more room on the bathroom shelves for DHs  stuff, and keeping the sink area clutter free.

16 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

We use the hang-up organizer bags from Lands End.  They have mesh pockets so items stay in the bag.  We use them whenever we travel not just for cruises. 

I should have said LLBean.  Sorry for the mistake.  They have multiple sizes.  Maybe a little pricey but they last for a long time.

mef_57 & sparks1093, I guess I misunderstood the OP.  I thought they were looking for a hanging toiletries storage unit as a separate item to purchase and bring on board as an additional piece.  Apparently I was incorrect.  

Of course we have a cosmetics / toiletries container that we take with us as everyone would - just not one that hangs.  Works for us and whatever works for others is just as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Both DH and I have been using hanging toiletries bags for years and find them very useful. They aren't essential in the bathrooms of the ships I've cruised on so far but they have proved themselves time and time again in various hotels. 

This is fairly close to the style I use. https://www.amazon.com/Toiletry-Coisum-Foldable-Cosmetics-Waterproof/dp/B0798JDRB5

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1)  It depends on how much stuff you pack and use every day.

2)  It depends on the class of cabin you book.  We tend to do full suites, so PLENTY of counter space and drawers and cabinets.

My toiletries bags hangs, but in over 30 years of a LOT of traveling domestic and international), the only time I ever hung it up, was one trip my shampoo leaked, and after I washed it in the sink, I hung it to dry. 😄

instead of toiletry bags we have 2 of those soft plastic lunchboxes that they sell with all the back to school stuff for kids. i like them because they zip all the way open. we put cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins, and meds in one and electronic stuff: chargers, adaptors, nightlights plus any small items in the other.  works for us.