“Live from: Z and TB’s Fall Foliage Extravaganza”

Zqueeze1

14 hours ago, Pinksunset said:

I am late in thanking you, Z and TB, for your wonderful description of your trip and in particular, your NYC visit!  I miss NYC and very much appreciate your fabulous writing style of your experiences!  Continue on with your excellent adventures!

Thanks!!  I miss it too and would love to go back in the fall when the Yanks make the playoffs!

Z and TB

Good Morning:

Before I talk about yesterday’s adventures, let me just say that I am a little bit cranky today. I feel as if Max ate my lunch, I missed the last train, it’s the last day for sticky buns, or the cat likes me and is licking my face.  Our cabin was hotter than a Times Square Rolex and I was up half the night in misery. The room was a hot 77 degrees which is too much for us. As a result, I slept in an extra 90 minutes and got up at 0700. We complained about it this morning and hope to get the room as cool as John and Karen’s who are now leasing it out to Regent for cold food storage.  BTW, overall, the ship’s common spaces all seem on the warm side. 

Yesterday was a great day for reminiscing and walking with awesome weather and sights. We took John and Karen to The Citadel for a tour of my alma mater and to see our unofficial Godson, Patrick. 

C62BA86A-028C-45F4-8614-71E4FD22C4BD.thumb.jpeg.c765488ff67125ae3f4b6ac747386d51.jpeg

We toured the campus 

6C25B440-37CC-4958-9116-FBCB087F7BEF.thumb.jpeg.8634f848a727734bf601355204f5a33b.jpeg

and walked into Summerall Chapel only to find some freshmen (knobs) snoozing and escaping cadet life for a while. 

636237DA-E719-409B-AB90-AB4FD635C56F.thumb.jpeg.6345257fd1ab50e8030e15109295b57a.jpeg

I also did some shopping at the Cadet Store and stored up on alumni paraphernalia.  

Here’s a knob walking on the gutter as is required during the knob year

And, of course, the ring which has the number 68 on it in honor of the class of 1968 who are celebrating their 50th reunion this weekend during Homecoming. 

CBFEB3A9-FC07-495D-94FA-05B7CA4AE174.thumb.jpeg.1f52fc9f6e9e78834cbd9cbe892a5ee4.jpeg

After returning to the ship, The Boss and I took off for The Battery. This is where the Ashley and Cooper rivers meet and where we got engaged in May of 1982 just prior to graduation. 

AB3CE901-6CC4-42C1-AAAB-DF82A1E973EB.thumb.jpeg.f6888acf7ee2b204aee952e58cba5b95.jpeg

I am amazed we survived college since We had a long distance relations. I went to  an all men’s military school in the south and she went to an all girls Catholic college in New Jersey. I’m more amazed that she still puts up with me. 

We decided to continue walking and enjoy all the antebellum homes that make Charleston so special 

4274D1C4-6C95-4A9B-A26A-B10A4C560AFA.thumb.jpeg.d0079791648b6bace2afaa0d514c3935.jpeg

8DEA043D-2398-4A82-905B-FB7C98A137CE.thumb.jpeg.b0fe8f9b2df96e04837d641fe3ff2a0f.jpeg

We also walked through the slave market

1A6CC5C1-04B4-4621-964F-154F8228EC24.thumb.jpeg.b8a16db4e43d39863f8e8e75bc92e62f.jpeg

The Boss likes her beasts just like me, dark and furry

61299380-2DAE-456E-A217-FB839F036F88.thumb.jpeg.5947037e37e6862bba767f363da7aea7.jpeg

And decided to have lunch at the Oyster House where we had some wonderful she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes with ranch dressing and sriracha, and hush puppies with brown sugar butter. There’s is nothing better than good southern comfort food. 

60BBDA36-84F3-47CB-8B3A-FD6806AED9D7.thumb.jpeg.8ccb9ae052ac00379ea6a7ab03d74a00.jpeg

After returning to our ship, we took a food coma nap, then relaxed before our third Prime 7 dinner which proved to be the best one yet. More pics to follow. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Here are some pics of some of our favorite crew members:

Murphy

4A9F8666-F917-4548-A4AB-6595161220B4.jpeg

Destination Desk

4EF17519-0D5C-4FEC-85DE-42D0DC519DC8.jpeg

Melcom

E28EE61A-6A45-4FDF-8734-FE8B24340FED.jpeg

Arthur

9057DAC9-17A8-41BD-A5A8-D03F84AEFC79.jpeg

Newman

4DAEA975-D039-449D-8F54-7F369AC386A3.jpeg

Risky

731D355A-1D7A-4D0E-9294-6BD265B77FFE.jpeg

Mario, Maggie, and Reylene

F8CEA643-ED22-4CB4-ADCD-8A9770AC3CA5.jpeg

Vanessa on the right

02D3DB8B-64D5-403A-9396-E632A5DA5AFE.jpeg

Herman

3A19D7A3-24EE-421C-80FF-23974EA629A3.jpeg

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Z what a delight to see all the old friends in the staff photos. Thanks so much for posting. I can imagine how spoiled you feel with them all looking after you and TB and your friends. That’s why we all so much look forward to our Regent cruises.

When we did this cruise in 2014 we had an overnight stay in Charleston and it was our favourite port if I remember. It was such a charming place to visit. 

Thanks for rekindling the memories.  Jean.

19 hours ago, Sheltieluv said:

Love the pictures.  Am so glad I could recommend Mario to you.  He's a gem.

In the sophomore Citadel picture, you have an "Ummm, I don't know what happened" look on your face.  Were you being praised or reprimanded?!!:classic_blush:

Either one. I think we were discussing on how to punish a knob. 

Z and TB

Good Morning:

Today is our departure day. Wow. I’ve avoided mentioning it like the plague since it is sad to leave this fantasy world and return to reality. However, it is what it is and we are going home today. We started saying our goodbyes yesterday to our extended Regent family consisting of crew members and fellow cruisers. 

We docked yesterday in Port Canaveral

C90D1191-FD70-4364-8681-9377D0CDF771.thumb.jpeg.7d26c108491666834d97a29428ba7fcb.jpeg

and decided to stay onboard and enjoyed a nearly empty ship. As we approached our berth, we were welcomed by the Disney Fantasy 

9C4F7503-60D1-4F1C-BE25-970A5DBADA60.thumb.jpeg.0415f67eed15b09694cc468c00eab2cb.jpeg

Iand docked next to this loud and smoke spewing monstrosity from Carnival 

C6CB8EFC-5CE1-44EF-BDBF-26B3C9BF7160.thumb.jpeg.57b2bc848b84cfe4d80b1d227d12cac0.jpeg

It’s now warm enough that we were able to enjoy lunch al fresco for the first time.  Our last lunch was followed by the dreaded packing process, then back to the pool deck to enjoy the rest of the day. 

Regent relaxed their dress code for dinner and allowed jeans, although one sneaky guy tried to come in wearing shorts. We had special ordered ravioli and the miso glazed sea bass which were both excellent (sorry no pics today!). However, the sushi app

51F43445-34D5-42C0-9A80-0D904176CC44.thumb.jpeg.dfea641575d8e8482af837b5e7c37fd7.jpeg

and asian style salad were fantastic

C248357B-84B7-49A1-9467-87BF0F069FAA.thumb.jpeg.dab149f5991a355d34e63dc2e568c6e2.jpeg

It was bittersweet saying goodbye to Mario and Maggie who are the dynamic duo of Compass Rose.

Afterwards, we hit the Navigator Lounge and listened to Allen play Beatles tunes before rack time.

E99183B9-B7F8-48D3-9BD8-26F9209B5F5A.thumb.jpeg.1f1c8b1296b8a130f7f30ff91fc5f2b4.jpeg

On a high note, I had The Boss put the luggage out into the passageway in her jammies and I locked her out of the cabin for a little while. It made my day. 

I will do a follow up and closing comments after settling back home. Thank you all for sharing our experiences and laughing at my corny jokes. We hope you join us again next June when we invade the British Isles onboard the Navigator.  Safe travels. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 1

Thanks for a very interesting blog with excellent pictures. A very enjoyable and entertaining read  😀

When you do your summary, we would be very interested in your thoughts on Navigator -  compared to other ships in the Regent fleet. 

Although we have cruised numerous times on Mariner, Explorer & Voyager we are trying Navigator for the first time next Spring.

Opinions seem very extreme on these Boards as whether guests love her or not; your take on the pluses & minuses would be very useful.

Thank you

Yes, that would be great if you do a final review on the Navigator.  We like the smaller ships and just booked a cruise on the Navigator and would like to hear what you think about her.  And again thanks for great postings, sounds like a wonderful cruise.

Good Morning!

First, thank you all for the kind words and well wishes which we sincerely appreciate.  Writing this thread makes the cruise more fun when one can share experiences and pics of our adventures and chow. 

Today is our first day home after having had a great night's sleep in our own bed.  South Florida is a little cooler today with a nice  breeze that lets me sit outside to type.  It is a little bittersweet being back home and we miss being onboard.  The Boss rejected my room service order and would not make me an omelet for breakfast.  However, drinking our own coffee is a plus.  

Yesterday's departure was not too bad.  We had breakfast in Compass Rose, and lounged around waiting to be called up for disembarkation.  Compass Rose is always seems to be pretty uncrowded on departure day and the ambiance and service makes it a pleasant wait. 

Our scheduled departure was called up at 0840 and by 0905 we were in an Uber on our way home along with John and Karen who came over until their flight at 7PM from Ft Lauderdale.  We made a day of it and fired up the grill for some grilled veggies and baby backs as well as a couple of Tito's and Don Q toddies.  It was sad to see them leave because we enjoy their company and it also marked the end of another great adventure.

Random thoughts about the cruise and the Navigator:

-Let me start by saying that we love the smallness of the Nav which gives it a more intimate environment and allows one to meet more folks.  Getting to any part of the ship is a breeze especially when your significant other forgets something in the cabin and you have to get it because "she is on vacation and she always gets everything else for me, so hop to it, mister."

-The ship was in fine shape although it she is a mature lady.  We saw and heard a lot of preventive maintenance activity as Regent does a great job on their upkeep.

-Being the smallest vessel, the Nav only has one specialty restaurant compared to two on the Mariner and Voyager and three on Explorer.  Also, it has one less bar area than her sister vessels.

-Prime 7 is really an extension of La Veranda/Sette Mari and is exceptional especially when your order is made as requested.  For example,  I like a nice char on a medium rare steak so I ask for it to be cooked Pittsburgh style and it comes out as I like it.  Keep in mind that service can be SLOW (or as The Boss says, "it's fine dining!").

-We had a window cabin which was more than adequate at 300 square feet and had ample storage to include a second set of drawers in the walk-in closet.  Also, the bed was pretty comfy although I prefer a harder mattress.

-As far as public areas for lounging are concerned, we spent a lot of time at the Coffee Connection/Navigator Lounge and there is plenty of space at Galileo's and its outdoor seating area as well as the pool area as long as the weather cooperates.  A forward facing lounge area would have been nice.

-We read a lot about the vibration issue which occurs in the Nav's aft section, but we hardly felt or saw it in the public areas.  I can't talk about how it may have been in the aft cabins since our cabin was in the forward area of deck six.

-The Nav is scheduled for  a refit next year and should be on par with the rest of the fleet once completed.  Hopefully, the pool will be modified as a walk-in pool just like in the Explorer and Mariner thereby improving getting in and out of it.

-If you can't find something to eat, I don't know what to say since there is plenty to choose from either in La Veranda or during dinner in Compass Rose.   We have no complaints about food.  We thought it was served at adequate temperatures and with plentiful portions.  The best items were the panko shrimp, pork pot stickers, lamb shops, ravioli, and the miso glazed sea bass.

-All staff members we interacted with were friendly and attentive and provided great service.  They were very willing to talk and quick to remember your preferences.  Service was usually pretty quick and drink pours were generous.  To illustrate the level of service we encountered, The Boss asked about the possibility of getting a particular dessert in Compass Rose that was being served a few days prior in Prime 7.  After checking for it, a Maitre d' personally came over to apologize and to see what could be done about it.  We appreciated their effort and told them it was not necessary.

-Senior Staff.  We are spoiled with the likes of Captain Serena, John Barron, Massimo, and other senior crew members who make it a point to meet and get to know guests.  We never saw the captain and hardly ever saw the CD.  Most senior staffers would pass by with a quick greeting but with little interaction as compared to our other Regent cruises.

-Climate control.  This is my big complaint.  Most public areas were way to warm even though staff members called maintenance to have the temperature adjusted. after a couple of wines, I felt as if I was sitting in a dry heat sauna and would need to go outside every now and then to cool off.  Our cabin's temperature was inconsistent so we asked for a fan to be delivered to alleviate the warmth.  At times, the cabin got up to 77F/25C, which is way too warm for us.

-Entertainment.  Well, we are not qualified to discuss this section since we failed to attend any of the evening shows.  Instead, we would listen to Allen play the piano from 830-915PM, then hit the rack and go into a food coma with a little bit of meat sweats. But, between the various musical venues and evening shows, there always seemed to be something to keep one entertained.

Well, that's all I can think of at this time, but will check in from time to time to see if there are any specific questions or some more insults from my friends.  If you have ever considered starting a thread for your upcoming cruise, I highly encourage you to do so since it serves as an information/entertainment venue as well as a repository of your most pleasant memories.  It has been a great pleasure sharing our adventure with yous and we look forward to doing the same in the future.  Safe travels.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Good Morning!

First, thank you all for the kind words and well wishes which we sincerely appreciate.  Writing this thread makes the cruise more fun when one can share experiences and pics of our adventures and chow. 

Today is our first day home after having had a great night's sleep in our own bed.  South Florida is a little cooler today with a nice  breeze that lets me sit outside to type.  It is a little bittersweet being back home and we miss being onboard.  The Boss rejected my room service order and would not make me an omelet for breakfast.  However, drinking our own coffee is a plus.  

Yesterday's departure was not too bad.  We had breakfast in Compass Rose, and lounged around waiting to be called up for disembarkation.  Compass Rose is always seems to be pretty uncrowded on departure day and the ambiance and service makes it a pleasant wait. 

Our scheduled departure was called up at 0840 and by 0905 we were in an Uber on our way home along with John and Karen who came over until their flight at 7PM from Ft Lauderdale.  We made a day of it and fired up the grill for some grilled veggies and baby backs as well as a couple of Tito's and Don Q toddies.  It was sad to see them leave because we enjoy their company and it also marked the end of another great adventure.

Random thoughts about the cruise and the Navigator:

-Let me start by saying that we love the smallness of the Nav which gives it a more intimate environment and allows one to meet more folks.  Getting to any part of the ship is a breeze especially when your significant other forgets something in the cabin and you have to get it because "she is on vacation and she always gets everything else for me, so hop to it, mister."

-The ship was in fine shape although it she is a mature lady.  We saw and heard a lot of preventive maintenance activity as Regent does a great job on their upkeep.

-Being the smallest vessel, the Nav only has one specialty restaurant compared to two on the Mariner and Voyager and three on Explorer.  Also, it has one less bar area than her sister vessels.

-Prime 7 is really an extension of La Veranda/Sette Mari and is exceptional especially when your order is made as requested.  For example,  I like a nice char on a medium rare steak so I ask for it to be cooked Pittsburgh style and it comes out as I like it.  Keep in mind that service can be SLOW (or as The Boss says, "it's fine dining!").

-We had a window cabin which was more than adequate at 300 square feet and had ample storage to include a second set of drawers in the walk-in closet.  Also, the bed was pretty comfy although I prefer a harder mattress.

-As far as public areas for lounging are concerned, we spent a lot of time at the Coffee Connection/Navigator Lounge and there is plenty of space at Galileo's and its outdoor seating area as well as the pool area as long as the weather cooperates.  A forward facing lounge area would have been nice.

-We read a lot about the vibration issue which occurs in the Nav's aft section, but we hardly felt or saw it in the public areas.  I can't talk about how it may have been in the aft cabins since our cabin was in the forward area of deck six.

-The Nav is scheduled for  a refit next year and should be on par with the rest of the fleet once completed.  Hopefully, the pool will be modified as a walk-in pool just like in the Explorer and Mariner thereby improving getting in and out of it.

-If you can't find something to eat, I don't know what to say since there is plenty to choose from either in La Veranda or during dinner in Compass Rose.   We have no complaints about food.  We thought it was served at adequate temperatures and with plentiful portions.  The best items were the panko shrimp, pork pot stickers, lamb shops, ravioli, and the miso glazed sea bass.

-All staff members we interacted with were friendly and attentive and provided great service.  They were very willing to talk and quick to remember your preferences.  Service was usually pretty quick and drink pours were generous.  To illustrate the level of service we encountered, The Boss asked about the possibility of getting a particular dessert in Compass Rose that was being served a few days prior in Prime 7.  After checking for it, a Maitre d' personally came over to apologize and to see what could be done about it.  We appreciated their effort and told them it was not necessary.

-Senior Staff.  We are spoiled with the likes of Captain Serena, John Barron, Massimo, and other senior crew members who make it a point to meet and get to know guests.  We never saw the captain and hardly ever saw the CD.  Most senior staffers would pass by with a quick greeting but with little interaction as compared to our other Regent cruises.

-Climate control.  This is my big complaint.  Most public areas were way to warm even though staff members called maintenance to have the temperature adjusted. after a couple of wines, I felt as if I was sitting in a dry heat sauna and would need to go outside every now and then to cool off.  Our cabin's temperature was inconsistent so we asked for a fan to be delivered to alleviate the warmth.  At times, the cabin got up to 77F/25C, which is way too warm for us.

-Entertainment.  Well, we are not qualified to discuss this section since we failed to attend any of the evening shows.  Instead, we would listen to Allen play the piano from 830-915PM, then hit the rack and go into a food coma with a little bit of meat sweats. But, between the various musical venues and evening shows, there always seemed to be something to keep one entertained.

Well, that's all I can think of at this time, but will check in from time to time to see if there are any specific questions or some more insults from my friends.  If you have ever considered starting a thread for your upcoming cruise, I highly encourage you to do so since it serves as an information/entertainment venue as well as a repository of your most pleasant memories.  It has been a great pleasure sharing our adventure with yous and we look forward to doing the same in the future.  Safe travels.

Z and TB

It was great meeting you and the rest of the posse on board.  😀

Hi Z - As always, I enjoyed your posts.  By any chance did you "hit the slots" (in the casino) at any time while you were onboard?  I was just wondering if that's a complete waste of time (and money) or did you know of (or hear about) any occasional "pay outs?  Regards.

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Z - As always, I enjoyed your posts.  By any chance did you "hit the slots" (in the casino) at any time while you were onboard?  I was just wondering if that's a complete waste of time (and money) or did you know of (or hear about) any occasional "pay outs?  Regards.

The casino area is pretty small and can get a little too claustrophobic especially to a non-gambler like me.  I know that our friends John and Karen spent their casino allotment and there was another couple who went through a couple of grand playing blackjack.  Unfortunately,, no one seemed to walk out with any winnings that I know of.

Z and TB

Z and TB you have summarised how we would describe our cruises on Navigator. We have only been mid ships and not felt any vibration issues in cabin but have in public areas but not enough to detract from cruise enjoyment.

We have found it to be the friendliest of all the ships and more homely? The staff onboard also feel loyal to Navigator too?

Like you also enjoy the coffee connection atmosphere day and night when been onboard.

Thanks for sharing your great cruise with us all.   Jean,