Speciality Dining - Virgin

ernieglenman

Of course we will have to wait and see their pricing but good to see Virgin coming into the market and reverting to all inclusive dining rather than offering speciality dining to those who want to spend the whole cruise telling everyone they speak to that they have been to the speciality dining restaurants. :classic_biggrin:

Virgin Voyages does not believe in paying more for great food and ditched the traditional up-charges levied when dining in speciality restaurants at sea.  Virgin Voyages has designed all eateries on board to offer exceptional made to order eats and opted to include all restaurant food in the voyage fare.

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

This is the Celebrity board

I am well aware of that.

The point I was making is that, in my opinion, Celebrity like the other cruise lines are getting away from the all inclusive experience and maybe some Celebrity cruisers like myself are getting tired of their continual extras. I used this opportunity to inform others.

15,121 posts and 1038 days at sea, now that is impressive. I am sure you have seen a lot of changes. 

I really like the sound of all inclusive dining on Virgin, just thought I would share it on here as on my last cruise a lot of loyal Celebrity cruisers were complaining about the cost of the speciality dining and the intrusiveness of the hard sell to the point that even when actually eating in the MDR they were coming to the table with their boards.

Still enjoyed my cruise mind you.

I don't see comparing Virgin and Celebrity as apples to apples. Virgin is marketing (and pricing) itself as a luxury line, and should be expected to offer comparable amenities to others in that category. Celebrity is not a luxury line.

After a number of X cruises just did our first with Viking Ocean.  They also offer free specialty dining plus free beer and wine (full bev pkg only $20/day), free internet, free shore excursion in every port, free self laundry and no kids under age 18.  Cost for our 338sf penthouse verandah (not a suite) was under $300/night.  Also interested in trying Virgin when they debut.

Virgin will be far from luxury if their U.K. train service is taken as an example of their expertise. Equally Virgin Atlantic is a leader in charging extra for everything so I don’t believe their venture into cruising will be anything different like their dubious venture like U.K. TV/Broadband service, a disaster.

I believe Virgin will be most costly than Seabourn and that line includes all restaurants, beverages and gratuities.    You may have to pay for high end wines or very expensive hard liquors.   At least Celebrity is less costly when you are not in a Suite and frequently includes beverage packages, internet, gratuities in your fare.     You have the option of eating in a Specialty Restaurant or just the buffet.    Also, don't forget the "complete" lack of a dress code on Celebrity.    There are some standards on Seabourn, no jeans after 6 pm.

I too am looking forward to trying Virgin Voyages. I have been with Virgin Broadband for years and get a very good product and service, similarly I enjoy travel on Virgin Atlantic and when I chose Virgin Trains for a few recent journeys, they beat the pants off GWR. Roll on a cruise on the Scarlet Lady in 2020.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:37 AM, Baron Barracuda said:

After a number of X cruises just did our first with Viking Ocean.  They also offer free specialty dining plus free beer and wine (full bev pkg only $20/day), free internet, free shore excursion in every port, free self laundry and no kids under age 18.  Cost for our 338sf penthouse verandah (not a suite) was under $300/night.  Also interested in trying Virgin when they debut.

Trust me, it is not free, you have paid for it up front whether you consume it or not.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the Virgin Cruise experience goes, I take the luxury tag with a pinch of salt though, nothing else they do is luxury and just mainstream. I don’t know what the fuss is about speciality restaurants, if you don’t like them don’t book them, it’s your choice. People will talk of other cruise options both ocean and river that include everything but you are more than paying for it up front. A quick look at Viking cruises in the Caribbean against our booked cruise next year. Our Celebrity cruise for 11 nights, £3700 including flights in an A1 balcony with an all inclusive drinks package. Viking Ocean for only 8 nights, £6000 including flights with only wine and spirits at meal times. I personally don’t like the over the top approaches by staff trying to sell the speciality restaurants however we have taken them up on the discounts ourselves so it clearly works.

Edited by yorky

Celebrity has never presented itself as an all-inclusive. If you want to make it an all-inclusive you can purchase various packages, excursions etc... And, I have never once heard other passengers bragging about eating in the specialty restaurants.

That being said, it's nice to have choices. I'll have to check on Virgin.

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

it's nice to have choices. I'll have to check on Virgin.

Someone recently posted photos of all of the new eating areas, over on the VV board. Interestingly enough, there will be NO MDR, or Buffet (per se). Although, one area does look very much like a 'food court'. I was encouraged by the fact that all of the food is included in the price. Now, the big question will be: How good is it?