Senior Discounts

HMSDingy

They don't need to. They discount the typical cruise experience instead, by eliminating a lot of the noise, distractions and annoying frou frou. Old people seem to like that and are willing to pay for it. (Pushing 80 here ourselves)

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, Paulinda said:

LOL  Just about everyone on the HAL ships would qualify....so no they don't.   

Getting Old sure beats  the alternative.  🙂

There are only  two options,,, get old or stop having birthdays,

Here's to old age. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Getting Old sure beats  the alternative.  🙂

There are only  two options,,, get old or stop having birthdays,

Here's to old age. 

Agree 100%

Edited by mamaofami

16 hours ago, iancal said:

We learned a long time ago that discounts and sales are meaningless. 

The only thing that counts is the bottom line price.

Not quite that meaningless when discounts and sales are all part of the bottom line price!  

Then we agree.  The number or type of discounts is meaningless since they are included in the bottom line price.

We do not jump out of our seats to book simply because of a so called seniors rate or some other discount. What makes us buy, and how we compare cruise options, is the bottom line price that we pay (adjusted for the value that we place on any freebees).  All the other marketing bumph is noise level to us.  

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, iancal said:

Then we agree.  The number or type of discounts is meaningless since they are included in the bottom line price.

We do not jump out of our seats to book simply because of a so called seniors rate or some other discount. What makes us buy, and how we compare cruise options, is the bottom line price that we pay.  All the other marketing bumph is noise level to us.  

👍👍👍  Spot on, iancal - great explanation that anyone should be able to understand.

11 hours ago, iancal said:

We do not jump out of our seats to book simply because of a so called seniors rate or some other discount. What makes us buy, and how we compare cruise options, is the bottom line price that we pay (adjusted for the value that we place on any freebees).  All the other marketing bumph is noise level to us.  

I agree.  Who cares if they   say 50%ff..  of what   Mark it up 70 % and then advertise  a 50% discount.

HOW much will it cost is, (to me) all  the info   that   matters and   is deciding factor as  to my  bottom line cost.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I agree.  Who cares if they   say 50%ff..  of what   Mark it up 70 % and then advertise  a 50% discount.

HOW much will it cost is, (to me) all  the info   that   matters and   is deciding factor as  to my  bottom line cost.

👍👍👍  Spot on, sail7seas!

(P.S.  Also belated Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you.)

Yes.  But discount rates do not apply to intangibles.

That is a completely different set of parameters based on personal preferences and such things as whether or not the itinerary is port intensive or not.    A good discount on a ship that does not interest us is meaningless to us.  When shopping, we only follow the pricing on ships that are of interest to us.  We do not even bother pricing the others.

Edited by iancal