Mediterranean Cruise Lines.

IceBearFloats

Have a few Caribbean Cruises under the belt, thinking about going Mediterranean. Quick look came up with COSTA and MSC for Nov. 2019 that I am looking at (Greece/Italy) itineraries. Was looking for any guidance on these lines? Ive done Carnival, Royal C., Celebrity and Norwiegan - and have enjoyed all of them, lean a little towards RC. Just dont want to get stuck on a bogus boat that is too heavily sided at an older crown (Im in the middle range 40's) .. 

Any tips and thoughts would be appreciated - Ice 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There are boards here for most cruise lines which includes Costa and MSC.  Some reading there will be of benefit.  One thing to consider is that taking a cruise on a foreign line in the Med will mean that as an American, you will be in the minority.  Everything runs on a European schedule.  there are too many points to detail, some reading on the boards will help you get the picture.  MSC has two ships that sail from Miami, where they have tried to tailor their product more to the North American taste.  they have had moderate success.  Some like it, some don't.  EM

be sure to check  some of the lines you have tried they have cruises in the Med  also

MSC  & Costa are  more European oriented  so do your research  to see if they are  a good fit  for your needs/wants

Costa is Italian oriented...announcements in many languages. Some people find their customer service more Italian oriented, which can be rougher than Americans expect.

MSC seems to be trying to attract Americans more.

Again, as suggested, reading the Costa and MSC boards, as well as the reviews of the particular ships would be beneficial.

It is commonly advised here that Med cruises are typically very port intense...few sea days, and 8 to 10 to 12 hour days in very high intensity ports. The ships matter a little less...the route matters much more. The age issue of the pax list is a bit over done.

1 hour ago, IceBearFloats said:

Thanks everyone -- I poked around, but Im not sure what "European Schedule" or "More European" means from your perspectives outside of Americans being the minority. Could either of you elaborate?

More European can mean more European food. Probably more Italian food.

The entertainment may also be less verbal since many people probably don't understand English as well as most Americans. 

I cruised both MSC and Costa in the Mediterranean as well as celebrity and NCL.

DW didn’t enjoy the ship board experience but I didn’t mind it. After all, we’re in Europe so why would I mind being around Europeans. The itinerary of Costa’s Greece and Italy cruise contained many ports that the North American lines don’t include. We visited Savona, Naplio, Volos, and Thessaloniki amongst others. 

The food selections were Mediterranean vs North American and better in my opinion.The shows were more cirque like than the typical productions. Some English  ships tours may not fill out and be cancelled but we usually DIY or book a third party tour.  Comments about people’s behaviors are similar to what I’ve experienced on North American lines as well but may be more noticeable because we’ve been warned and are looking for them. 

DW has a fear of missing out so she didn’t like the announcements in four languages. It was usually Italian, French, German, and then English. She felt that more information was given in the other languages and English was short and direct.

If the price and itinerary is to your liking, go for it.

Edited by lamchops

So my message to the OP is that cruising the Med is completely different then cruising in the Caribbean for a few reasons.  The passenger demographics on the 2 lines you mention (MSC and Costa) will be much more International then you have experienced on the lines you mention in the Caribbean.  The age range will depend more on the length and cost of the cruise then the cruise line.  If you are on a typical 7-14 day cruise you will see all ages.   But the biggest difference in the Med is that the cruises are more about the ports then the cruise line or ship.  Many of the cruises are very port intensive and long port days tend to wear out many cruisers...so late night life is not quite the same as on Carnival in the Caribbean :).  You might want to expand your search and research to some other lines including Princess, Celebrity as well as taking a good look at RCI.  You will find these lines pretty familiar and they will generally have a higher percentage of North Americans then you will find on MSC and Costa.     

You should also pay close attention to itineraries and the scheduled times in ports as well as the day of the week in each port.  Getting from the ship to the primary destinations can sometimes involve 1-3 hours (one way) of land travel so having longer port days is key to having enough time ashore.  And days of the week truly matter if you have certain places you want to visit.  My favorite example is the Port of Civitavecchia (port city for Rome) and the Vatican (most of which is generally closed on Sundays).  And then there are the cruisers who go to Paris on a Tuesday expecting to visit the Louvre..only to discover that its closed (every Tuesday).

Hank

When over on the Cruise lines boards ask about the current smoking allowances.  At one time, Costa had the most inside smoking sections including part of the bars/dance areas.......for some this matters - either way.

Even off season, there are more kids on Costa and lots of multigenerational groups.  Dining is set dining and often later than on the US ships. I would expect MSC to be the same.

I was looking at some Med cruises yesterday and noted that Costa and MSC are considerably less expensive than the US ships.  I don't have 'alliances' so no past cruiser discounts.  That might vary for you.

As said, all beverages are at cost at meals - including water - just like on land.  You might argue down your server to start providing a pitcher of tap water for your table, but you'll need to work on it.

Personally, I prefer a more international menu. I used to get some lovely guinea fowl on Costa in the Caribbean - much better cuts than beef - but I have heard the food budget has dropped drastically since I last sailed with them.

When MSC came over to this side of the Atlantic, some TAs wouldn't work with them as their website and booking system was so faulty it drove TAs and self bookers mad.  Check on whether that has improved.

If you are not adventurous, or willing to do your own port arrangements, they might not be the lines for you - unless fully conversant in another language or willing to take a tour outside spoken English.

Italian ships are Italian. Seems obvious enough - but strangely not to quite a few folk.  

Go with the flow and you'll have a ball.

Go expecting an American experience and you'll join those who complain about Italian ships.

I've only experienced MSC, but folk tell me that Costa is very similar.

Pasta figures largely in the menus, dinners are often a long drawn-out affair with multiple small dishes. Coffee isn't served at dinner as a matter of course - you have to ask, & it'll be charged.

Waiters tend to be much more reserved, much less in-your-face. Taken by some to be unfriendly, which it isn't.

Announcements are in multiple languages - and English often drowned-out by excited Italians discussing what they've just been told. 

The crew normally do their best to organise tables so that you share with others who have the same mother-tongue.

Americans call it "standing in a line". Brits call it "standing in a queue. I don't think here's an Italian translation, they'll push & jostle. Not in an unfriendly way, and it doesn't seem to be considered rude - it's just the culture..

Entertainment is song & visual - overcomes the language barrier. 

Crew tend to be very multi-lingual, but some have a poor grasp of English.  Not a big deal.

Sometimes ship's excursions in English are under-sold and are combined into a bi-lingial excursion.

Italians have as poor an understanding as Americans :classic_tongue: about  "proper" breakfast 

That's the negatives. On the positive side, MSC has the youngest fleet in the business, their ships are stylish rather than glitzy, and they're immaculately maintained.

I rate their evening shows better too.

Their pricing is very keen, especially if you have kids.

And their crew love kids. 

Do check the hours in port.

Many Americans cruise places like the Caribbean for the ship - many Europeans - esp Italians - do the same in the Med. 

Costa & MSC often have short hours in port - and as others have stressed, for Americans the Med is all about the ports.

To repeat - go with the flow & you'll have a great time. 

But an American experience it ain't.

And I wouldn't recommend it to newbies.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 3:26 PM, IceBearFloats said:

Have a few Caribbean Cruises under the belt, thinking about going Mediterranean. Quick look came up with COSTA and MSC for Nov. 2019 that I am looking at (Greece/Italy) itineraries. Was looking for any guidance on these lines? Ive done Carnival, Royal C., Celebrity and Norwiegan - and have enjoyed all of them, lean a little towards RC. Just dont want to get stuck on a bogus boat that is too heavily sided at an older crown (Im in the middle range 40's) .. 

Azamara has Mediterranean cruises and has reciprocal status with Celebrity and Royal.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:26 PM, IceBearFloats said:

Have a few Caribbean Cruises under the belt, thinking about going Mediterranean. Quick look came up with COSTA and MSC for Nov. 2019 that I am looking at (Greece/Italy) itineraries.

I'm wondering if you can travel any earlier? You are unlikely to see the Med at its best in November, essentially because of the unreliable weather at that time of year, which would be a real shame since you're travelling so far. Late September through to about the third week in October is a good time, if you can swing it.  

We have cruised costa many times and msc once but not recently ,enjoyed them both, but our cruises were in Caribbean, not sure if I would do them in Europe ,as said announcements in multiple languages. We are looking forward to trying there new seaside yacht club next year out of Miami. You may be able to get some benefits from msc since they match your status on other lines. We loved our recent rccl Europe cruise.

Also...if you are a Carnival fan Costa is very similar with their ship design.

Joe Farcus left Carnival to design interiors for Costa...not sure if he is still there.

Some other things to consider with Costa are their drinks are quite cheap as are their packages but their tipping system is the only one I know of  you can't remove/change unless something very bad happens. This doesn't matter to many US folk but I know of a few European cruisers who have had issue with it.

I believe the announcements are in Italian,German,Spanish,English and French. These are the 5 key languages for European sailings on the lines mentioned.

Edited by Velvetwater

I'm going to repeat the warning to CHECK THE PORT HOURS if you are considering Costa or MSC in Europe. Their hours are often ridiculously short in ports compared with other lines.

I assume if you are wanting to cruise in the Med, you'll want to have sufficient time to see the iconic sights. Keep in mind that unlike the Caribbean, often these places are a bit of a drive from the port, and also you often have to navigate around larger cities (Rome, Athens, Barcelona).  It's worth finding a cruise that gives you a decent amount of time in port, not 3/4 of a day.