Real ID

firefighterman

OP - I think you are confusing a Real ID with an Enhanced ID.  The Real ID is (or will be when fully implemented in all states) a standardized form of identification that can be used for security purposes on flights (and will be required soon if not showing a passport) but it doesn't prove citizenship.  Whereas the Enhanced ID includes confirmation of citizenship and can be used (or a passport of course) can be used for land and sea border crossings with Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean Islands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefighterman said:

Is Real ID  approved to use to fly from Caribbean Island or Mexico from a cruise to USA if I needed to fly back for some reason, like getting stranded or medical evac?

No, you will need an actual passport to fly back into the country from any foreign destination (not the USVI and PR are considered domestic.)

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

OP - I think you are confusing a Real ID with an Enhanced ID.  The Real ID is (or will be when fully implemented in all states) a standardized form of identification that can be used for security purposes on flights (and will be required soon if not showing a passport) but it doesn't prove citizenship.  Whereas the Enhanced ID includes confirmation of citizenship and can be used (or a passport of course) can be used for land and sea border crossings with Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean Islands.

I don't think there is any confusion because the OP is asking specifically about flying back from a cruise and an EDL isn't a normal document for that. (I have read too many posts where the passenger was allowed to board a flight back to the US without a passport for medical/personal emergencies to say that it can't be done, but if it is done it is on an exception basis.)

'Real ID' or better is required for >Domestic< flights in the US. 

A few states are still on waiver for Real ID but are on track to have Real ID available for their residents in the next year or two.

International flights require a passport.  Not a passport card or an Enhanced Drivers License.  (exceptions are made, but don't count on it)

Real ID will have some sort of notation: "Federal Limits Apply" or "Not For Federal Use" on it.

According to the ACLU it means the Feds and out of state law enforcement aren't obligated to accept your Real ID as identification.

35 minutes ago, Philob said:

Real ID will have some sort of notation: "Federal Limits Apply" or "Not For Federal Use" on it.

According to the ACLU it means the Feds and out of state law enforcement aren't obligated to accept your Real ID as identification.

Can we assume you meant "Lack of Real ID will have some sort of notation....  ??

3 hours ago, firefighterman said:

Is Real ID  approved to use to fly from Caribbean Island or Mexico from a cruise to USA if I needed to fly back for some reason, like getting stranded or medical evac?

In an emergency any government photo id will likely do. Just may take some extra time working through the bureaucracy. But a passport book is generally required and will certainly make travel much easier.

1 hour ago, Philob said:

You've gotten that backwards and I suspect you've also misquoted the ACLU .  California's non-REAL ID license  carries the wording  "Federal Limits Apply", not the Real ID license. You can see that here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid .

A drivers license that is not REAL ID compliant is not valid for ID for purposes of admittance to federal facilities such as military bases and (when fully implemented) domestic air travel. In fact REAL ID will be the only drivers license other than an enhanced drivers license (only issued by six states)that will be valid as ID for federal purposes.

Edit: I see you've realized your mistake in a subsequent post.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

OP

Do yourself a favor and get a passport -- no worries then.

PS --  PA will be starting the process of issuing Enhanced ID's in March of 2019.

Just to be clear PA will start issuing REAL ID compliant licenses in March unless I missed an announcement. There is a difference between the Enhanced DLs (currently only issued by 5 states) and the REAL ID compliant DLs

• Like 1