Waiver of single cruiser supplement

jrowland

Wanted to ask if anyone has ever called and ask for and received a waiver of a single supplement for a cruise? We are a group of 3 adults who like to cruise and in the past we have tried having all 3 in the same room but last couple of years have gone to having 1 cabin for 2 persons and a cabin for 1 person. We have mostly stayed with 4-5 night cruise as the single supplement is manageable.

We would like to take a longer cruise in Alaska but checking the various cruise line web sites, most mention a 50% single supplement which is pretty steep even for a basic inside cabin.  Wanted to know if anyone had ever called a cruise line and asked for and received a waiver for a supplement for 1 person in a cabin.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

For the longer cruise you are thinking about, you might want to consider a suite - or at least a larger cabin for all three.  You are not likely to see the single supplement waived on any worthwhile itinerary.

Agreed. Looking at NCL Bliss in June 2019:

studio cabin 99 SQ FT at $1949 pp single occupancy

balcony cabin 176 SQ FT at $2179 pp double occupancy

Average for 3 at $2102 pp

Versus

mini-suite cabin 231 SQ FT at $1969 pp triple occupancy

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Why not ask on the Solo Traveler forum?

I think there is a little confusion here when discussing % of single supplement. As a solo traveler, I am hoping that there are few instances of 150% over the pp cost, though I have seen that and more on Cunard during a sale. That being said, one acquaintance was able to call and get the SS removed on a Cu ard transatlantic crossing....about 6 years ago.

Norwegian tends to have the best prices for solo travelers, but for most lines, solo prices are best when the cruise is not selling well.

Norwegian and RCI have some studio cabins built for solo travelers, but never at the pp pricing of an inside or oceanview. The SS is not called an SS but the price certainly reflects one.

Sometimes there are actually good prices far out for cruise dates as well, but as mentioned, Alaska isn't bound to be a deal except very last minute,

I think it's just confusion over terminology. 

Some cruise lines (e.g., HAL) will offer a fare that is 150% of the normal per person rate (or 50% more per person than when two people use the cabin). People use these terms interchangeably. Usually this is only for an inside cabin, and it is not offered for every itinerary. HAL used to also offer something between 150% and 200% for an outside cabin on some cruises, but that is rarer.

Some luxury lines offer better per person pricing for solos, but I don't think OP is looking in that direction.

Regardless, I have NEVER heard of anyone simply asking for a reduction in fare above what's currently offered by the cruise line and getting it.  A better strategy is to look for either a) very good pricing overall for the cruise (so that the difference in cost for the solo isn't as onerous in the scheme of things), or b) monitor cruise line websites or travel agencies websites for solo cruiser specials.

Edited by cruisemom42

6 minutes ago, spookwife said:

no one is going to waive   their pricing structure just because you ask.  it's  just better to find a price you are willing to pay bottom line and  do your research accordingly.  

Gee, that’s too bad.  I suppose you are right, so I guess I won’t ask my local service station to give me a special deal on gasoline.

As mentioned, I know of one person that did get a waived cruise.  I also got one on a small Galapagos cruise despite booking months out. The small agency gave one 'no ss gift' a year and I was lucky to get it.

One loses nothing for asking....and calling to ask might glean information to help make decisions.

jrowland - do any of you have loyalty status that could work in your favour?