Edgeification of current ships

chamima

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

IMHO that would be faster than doing the work piece by piece onboard, at least for the veranda cabins where it isn't necessary to 'cut the hull' because the opening is already there.  But most others seem to disagree.  I know that I am not an engineer, I guess everybody else is :classic_wink:

My thoughts on changing out the veranda staterooms is that they will be replaced leaving the verandas intact (with some  refurbing) and swap out the cabins from the inside. They can open a portion of each deck and remove the old units, replacing them once utilities are upgraded and ready for the new units. ??   Our resident engineer may know how this will be accomplished.

I’m on Edge now and spoke to the engineering officer at a reception last night.  As I’ve mentioned previously, the cabin modules on M-class are not being pulled out and replaced. That would be impossible to do in 30 days and very costly.  Instead they are stripping existing cabins in place down to the steel.  Then rebuilding them from the inside. He said that even this would be a great challenge in this timeframe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, groryjm said:

As I understood it  these ships were built using prefabricated room units. Once assembled these units are then welded into the fabric of the ship, with the balconies and windows added afterwards. Surely no one  is suggesting they cut the the ship apart to remove sections then weld in new sections? Gutting each room and doing a complete refit of each must surely be quicker and cheaper

If they are gutting and sliding in prefabricated cabin modules, where would they slide in from?? Picture interior cabins - how would you get an inside cabin module to its location on the second or third floor, mid-ship? The only way to SLIDE in would be from the outside. And the only way to do that would be to open up the outside. I would love to see how its done and don't mind being proven wrong. I'm not an engineer either, but I'm fairly visual and I cannot manage to envision this.

They're adding completely new cabins as well though on the Millennium class ships. Both inside, replacing the library and internet Cafe and the new Aqua class cabins on deck 10. 

I wonder if those new cabins are pre-constructed and slid in or built from scratch in place. 

We've booked one of the new deck 10 Aqua's on the Millennium for next year so looking forward to reviews on those. 

On 1/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, emileg said:

We were on the Edge a couple of weeks agoi. The amount of space and service devoted to the Retreat certainly took away from space for non-suite passengers. There were only two main lounges: the Martini Bar lounge and Eden.  It was very difficult to find a seat. If you could find a seat, it would take as long as 35 minutes to get a drink.

We would not book an Edge-class ship again. We have cruises booked on M and S class ships post "revolution."  If they remove significant public areas for the Retreat, such as the Sky Lounge, we would likely cancel these cruises and choose other lines to sail on. I have nothing against suite passengers. We have sailed in suites on S-class ships and believe that Michael's Club and Luminae are sufficient perks. However, I would look forward to refreshed staterooms and dining rooms on the older ships.

On S-class ships there are essentially three lounge areas; Sky Lounge, Martini Bar and Ensemble Lounge. On Edge you also have three; Eden, the Martini Bar and The Club, which has lounges on two levels. I think many people missed The Club as it was kind of tucked away, but it's quite large. If more people went there as they do to the Ensemble Lounge on S-Class then I think the crowding might be lessened at the Martini Bar (which actually has more space than the S-class Martini Bar lounge area but has also gotten more popular). IMO they should've had The Club very close to the Martini Bar so they could've been extension spaces for each other.

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

On S-class ships there are essentially three lounge areas; Sky Lounge, Martini Bar and Ensemble Lounge. On Edge you also have three; Eden, the Martini Bar and The Club, which has lounges on two levels. I think many people missed The Club as it was kind of tucked away, but it's quite large. If more people went there as they do to the Ensemble Lounge on S-Class then I think the crowding might be lessened at the Martini Bar (which actually has more space than the S-class Martini Bar lounge area but has also gotten more popular). IMO they should've had The Club very close to the Martini Bar so they could've been extension spaces for each other.

The Club is used very much like the sky lounge on other ships.  It has had bands and DJ’s on our cruise this week.  It also had the silent disco. Very large bar inside. First night it had the nfl playoff game as it has a huge flatscreen on one end. It also has had movies showing too.  A real versatile space on ship.

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The Club is used very much like the sky lounge on other ships.  It has had bands and DJ’s on our cruise this week.  It also had the silent disco. Very large bar inside. First night it had the nfl playoff game as it has a huge flatscreen on one end. It also has had movies showing too.  A real versatile space on ship.

The bar area in The Club is actually quite nice. It's more like The Quasar in the earlier S-Class ships.  In order for people to migrate there they need to program it and with more varied entertainment.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, [g]cruiserke said:

They're adding completely new cabins as well though on the Millennium class ships. Both inside, replacing the library and internet Cafe and the new Aqua class cabins on deck 10. 

I wonder if those new cabins are pre-constructed and slid in or built from scratch in place. 

We've booked one of the new deck 10 Aqua's on the Millennium for next year so looking forward to reviews on those. 

This question is being asked over and over. THEY ARE NOT sliding in new modules, absolutely not! You know how much work that is? They are basically ripping out the walls of each room and replacing the panels and furniture. It's all prefabricated. You can do the same thing with your home basement:

https://www.thespruce.com/owens-corning-basement-finishing-system-1822818

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

This question is being asked over and over. THEY ARE NOT sliding in new modules, absolutely not! You know how much work that is? They are basically ripping out the walls of each room and replacing the panels and furniture. It's all prefabricated. You can do the same thing with your home basement:

Yes you are correct.  Not sure why the misconception continues to exist about this.

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes you are correct.  Not sure why the misconception continues to exist about this.

I'm not sure why anyone on CC cares.  It's not like we are doing the work. All I care about is that  it gets finished on time, functions well and looks great.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Plus M and S Class have Cellar Master lounge.  Better on M Class, but we enjoy the lounge on both ships. 

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The only time they have the prefab modules is during initial ship building and anytime they are stretching a ship and are literally cutting the ship and adding an additional section. In those cases the modules are already inserted into the new section. The shipyard literally cuts the ship in half, spreads it apart, drops in the new section, and solders it back together!  

Edited by kwokpot

53 minutes ago, BOLOCRUISE said:

Plus M and S Class have Cellar Master lounge.  Better on M Class, but we enjoy the lounge on both ships. 

Edge also has the Rooftop Garden and Magic Carpet which operate as lounges at different points during the day. I didn't count them before as we seemed to be discussing indoor spaces. Obviously those two outdoor spaces are weather dependent. But they are unique vs. S and M class. S class has the Lawn but it has no lounge space save for the areas that are basically extensions of the Sunset Bar.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The bar area in The Club is actually quite nice. It's more like The Quasar in the earlier S-Class ships.  In order for people to migrate there they need to program it and with more varied entertainment.

Quasar was one of our fav places...we went often...

It had a great  bar,  never crowded,  awesome DJ sets of varied genres,  and in general  it was a very lively  club vibe,   They did not push it, let it die,  We missed it,

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Because this is how Azamara did the renovation of Pursuit when they bought it from Princess.  They explained that it was faster to build the new cabins onshore and slide them into the ship.  It may not work everywhere and on every ship, but at least in this recent example [in the RCL family] it did work – and Celebrity did announce that that was what they were going to do in the Revolution process.  Of course, a lot of what Celebrity announces is wrong, but their own words are the source of the confusion.

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because this is how Azamara did the renovation of Pursuit when they bought it from Princess.  They explained that it was faster to build the new cabins onshore and slide them into the ship.  It may not work everywhere and on every ship, but at least in this recent example [in the RCL family] it did work – and Celebrity did announce that that was what they were going to do in the Revolution process.  Of course, a lot of what Celebrity announces is wrong, but their own words are the source of the confusion.

Sorry but I guess I missed in Celebrity’s announcements their intent to replace while modules vs rebuild from the inside.  Maybe this changed when they evaluated the time and cost involved?

On 1/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, Oville said:

I’m guessing that is an M Class non Concierge/AQ veranda cabin.  Note it has a chair not a sofa.

Just got of the edge last week.  Whilst the ship is beautiful and has many hits, also many misses.  The storage in cabins less than S class.  Mistake to remove over bed storage and extra drawers.  We were fortunate and moved from an infinite veranda, which is a truly a window cabin with a window that opens partway in good weather.   Missing comfortable balcony furniture and even in sky suites a table to enjoy breakfast on in your suite.  It is replaced by a useless huge rocking chair.  They should donate the chairs to a nursing home and put back a coffee table.  Shopping high end but great.  Food was very good in specialty and MDR rooms.  Luminae disappointing menus.  The suite deck was wonderful!  It had its own pool, hot tub comfortable seating and bar. You could also enjoy lunch on the suite deck.  Enjoyed most of the ship.  

Have done a detailed review which will be published soon

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was curious about your statement of the Pursuit renovation so I did some googling and I'm not sure you are totally correct about the stateroom modifications. I was not able to find any confirmation that the ship was cut open and new complete stateroom modules were swapped out. What I did read was the rooms were totally gutted and rebuilt BUT BRAND NEW BATHROOM MODULES were brought in, which is a totally different thing. Moreover the Pursuit's drydock stretched to 4 months and it's passenger capacity is one third that of M-class Celebrity ships. 

I'm not here to start an argument but I don't think people fully realize the amount of work it would require to open a ship and swap out whole stateroom modules. Again it really can't be done unless you're literally cutting the ship in half. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Just got of the edge last week.  Whilst the ship is beautiful and has many hits, also many misses.  The storage in cabins less than S class.  Mistake to remove over bed storage and extra drawers.  We were fortunate and moved from an infinite veranda, which is a truly a window cabin with a window that opens partway in good weather.   Missing comfortable balcony furniture and even in sky suites a table to enjoy breakfast on in your suite.  It is replaced by a useless huge rocking chair.  They should donate the chairs to a nursing home and put back a coffee table.  Shopping high end but great.  Food was very good in specialty and MDR rooms.  Luminae disappointing menus.  The suite deck was wonderful!  It had its own pool, hot tub comfortable seating and bar. You could also enjoy lunch on the suite deck.  Enjoyed most of the ship.  

Have done a detailed review which will be published soon

We'll look for the EDGE review...we have 2 booked on EDGE, then Summit post rev, so we are closely watching  progress with Millenium

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

We'll look for the EDGE review...we have 2 booked on EDGE, then Summit post rev, so we are closely watching  progress with Millenium

We also have two more cruises on the edge in the future.  One sky suite another aft balcony

15 hours ago, DamWamWeRCruising said:

I just found these photos on Facebook.  You can see they have painted the ship.

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

So they've already painted the outside of the ship. 

Where are the pictures of the old cabin modules being removed and the new ones slid into place?

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The article released by X that I read regarding the Revolution process distinctly said that the cabins would be “stripped down to the metal and rebuilt”. Modules were never mentioned. 

From the photos it looks that any new stateroom enhancements, whether as complete units or just gutting and replacing various parts of each stateroom, will be done from the INSIDE.  

The veranda structures would most probably have to be removed  in part or completely, before new modules could to be slipped in from the OUTSIDE. This would certainly be a major job both financially as well as time consuming and would have to be already started.