Edgeification of current ships

chamima

12 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Thanks for the update, makes me feel better for now. What about Equinox?

Looks like Equinox is May 2019 ...so very soon.  Appears only scheduled for 1 week so not sure how much they can get changed in that short time frame, suppose if they throw large work crews on it and work around the clock they could do a lot. 

Booked this ship for November so really anxious to know the reality of what they modify and really hoping it doesn't result in too much loss of spaces available to non suite guests for peeps like me.  Having just sailed on Equinox this past November for 10 day sailing, I will have good memory of how it is 'now' to compare.

Edited by poffles

Would those of you canceling your cruises because of the renovations rather sail on tired old beat up ships even if the cabins are more colorful?  Or have slightly less storage? Just curious.  Or will you really change lines?

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Would those of you canceling your cruises because of the renovations rather sail on tired old beat up ships even if the cabins are more colorful?  Or have slightly less storage? Just curious.  Or will you really change lines?

I'm planning to enjoy Eclipse, Solstice, and Reflection, all before the "Revolutions", then move the majority of my business to HAL.  I may dabble with the Luxury-Light / Premium market on cheap repo's, and give Avalon a try for River Cruises.

It has little to do with tired beat up old ships, or color.  Storage is the biggest issue, as we lean towards longer cruises.  Too much is unknown to decided if we will return for shorter cruises.  Where will the entertainment, the bedding, and food going from here?  If their new product is hot, there could be even higher budgets to improve upon.  If people aren't biting, X will have to lower cabin prices to fill berths, ultimately leading to cuts.

15 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Cancelling only because they changed the storage?????  Huh?

We've gone on vacations for 30+ days, cruises for 21 days, with only carry on - so I'm a little mystified by this storage issue.

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 3

TeeRick, I’m not sure what your objective was in asking about “tired old beat up ships” other than raising another persons’ temperature. I don’t know of any X ship that falls into the category you just described. 

On 1/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, chamima said:

Celebrity has just posted this video of how the current ships will be "Edgeified".

In the cabins, other than a pleasant color change, the only difference I see is that the desks will now have no drawers.

Anyone see anything more?

Celebrity has been anti drawer for some time--witness the S class bedside tables.  Their mantra seems to be form over function.  I think it would help if they hired designers who actually cruise.  Word has it that Kelly Hoppen's decor is literally flying off the shelves and breaking.

42 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

We've gone on vacations for 30+ days, cruises for 21 days, with only carry on - so I'm a little mystified by this storage issue.

Easy enough to do with a laundry facility onboard.  Or on X, I could wear each shirt 3-4 times, especially if I have to pack both warm and cold clothing in that carry on.

I'm assuming you aren't suddenly mystified, and complained about the excess of storage space in the past?

18 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity has been anti drawer for some time--witness the S class bedside tables.  Their mantra seems to be form over function.  I think it would help if they hired designers who actually cruise.  Word has it that Kelly Hoppen's decor is literally flying off the shelves and breaking.

I've read plenty of complaints but have yet to read anything about things flying off the shelves (or do you mean the shelves themselves?) .

Please tell more!

4 hours ago, chamima said:

I've read plenty of complaints but have yet to read anything about things flying off the shelves (or do you mean the shelves themselves?) .

Please tell more!

I would like to hear more about this as well. Never happened on our cruise... hardly knew you were moving.... Now if you have rough seas... the bathroom has a small lip/rail on the shelves... I do think that if seas are really rough.. things could fly off... but so far my experience has been smooth sailing no flying stuff.... Now on Edge there are more drawers.... 3 good size ones in the chest of drawers... more space than S class... also there are three smaller drawers in the closet. and a nice drawer in the bathroom. You can always place any breakables in the corner hidden storage area.

The fact that decorative objects were sliding off shelves, tables, etc., was discussed awhile ago. I spoke to two different people, one booked in the Penthouse and the other the Retreat Concierge, about this on the Dec. 9 Edge Inaugural. Form over function is apparently one of Kelly Hoppen's favorite designing objectives. But it turns out that fragile items placed on smooth surfaces on a moving ship end up sliding to their demise... who knew?

Edited by C-Dragons

19 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

TeeRick, I’m not sure what your objective was in asking about “tired old beat up ships” other than raising another persons’ temperature. I don’t know of any X ship that falls into the category you just described. 

Probably the wrong choice of words.  Sorry.  I was not trying to raise temperature of anybody.  But I think M Class ships in particular need a major cabin refresh.  I’m happy they are doing this.  Will the storage even change overall?  Or just be shifted around within the cabin?  Cancel a cruise without even truly knowing the storage situation?  We will see with Millennium.  Then decide.  Once some see the term Edgified without ever even sailed on Edge there is a negative reaction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Probably the wrong choice of words.  Sorry.  I was not trying to raise temperature of anybody.  But I think M Class ships in particular need a major cabin refresh.  I’m happy they are doing this.  Will the storage even change overall?  Or just be shifted around within the cabin?  Cancel a cruise without even truly knowing the storage situation?  We will see with Millennium.  Then decide.  Once some see the term Edgified without ever even sailed on Edge there is a negative reaction.

Not here. We are booked on Summit after being “edgified”. I think it's going to be a positive thing and can’t wait to experience it. My glass is half full... 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll be on the Edge next month, and will judge the cabin then.   As for the video, it looked like a typical sales and marketing commercial.  There is no way they will make the cabins and the rest of the ship look like the Edge.  On old ship is an old ship, there is only so much they can do, as we have seen many times when they dry dock and upgrade a ship.  With that being said, lets see what they produce verses what they market.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, jkgourmet said:

We enjoy bringing nice clothes on our cruises...do not repeat items very  much and do not like to wash clothes , other than sending out socks and undies towards the end.  We each use a wheelie suitcase  and use the carryon for technology items, medicine,  etc.  We appreciate a proper closet and drawer space and will be looking for that on Summit in 2020.

True, most cruisers bring more than they need but most could not do it with a just a carry on for more than a 5 day trip.

• Like 1

I wouldn't choose to travel with just a carry on, but since we have to fly to cruise we are light packers.  I have never had any problem with storage on a Celebrity ship and would certainly not cancel a cruise because of  lack of storage.  I use packing cubes and they work well on  open shelves.  Decor is not really important to me either.  What I hope is that the ships do not become too crowded and that service and food do not deteriorate.  Our next cruise is on Millennium in March, so we will soon see the results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaworthy1 said:

Does anyone know where they're going to put the suite retreat?  Are they going to carve it out of the sky lounge?  Talking about the Summit.

Deck 12 at the front of the ship where there is currently a sundeck. It's only the Retreat sundeck going there. The Retreat Lounge will just replace Michael's Club on Deck 4.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We enjoy bringing nice clothes on our cruises...do not repeat items very  much and do not like to wash clothes , other than sending out socks and undies towards the end.  We each use a wheelie suitcase  and use the carryon for technology items, medicine,  etc.  We appreciate a proper closet and drawer space and will be looking for that on Summit in 2020.

True, most cruisers bring more than they need but most could not do it with a just a carry on for more than a 5 day trip.

We did 14 day cruise (from hell) on Carnival, two years ago.  I met a couple that were extremely minimalist, only brought 2 backpacks, and did laundry every 3-4 days.  I guess with packing cubes, you technically don't need any shelving at all.  Still, I would prefer those packing cubes in a drawer, rather than spread out along the ground.

• Like 1

Storage. It is why we cruise. Really! When friends ask why we cruise, we tell them that we get to visit many places, we leave the driving to someone else, and we don’t need to live out of a suitcase. No unpacking, sorting, repacking over and over. We pull our things out of our (one each) carryons, hang the hanging stuff, put the rest into drawers, onto shelves, and settle into our new home-away-from-home for our 1-4 week journey. If a cabin does not have enough storage, then a major advantage of cruising is gone.

Stan

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, I_r_a said:

Ditto dct,

>Its like watching THE WIZARD OF OZ...  Only, this time in reverse. 

Ira

Sorry but these changes in décor look boring and I just wonder how long all these off grey furnishings will still look off grey and not look like DINGY grey or even just plain old DIRTY grey..

Maybe the new builds or the newly edgeified ships will have those good old plastic furniture covers from the 50's and 60's.. Now that would be really EDGEY...

plastic-furniture-on-couch.jpg

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Sorry but these changes in décor look boring and I just wonder how long all these off grey furnishings will still look off grey and not look like DINGY grey or even just plain old DIRTY grey..

Maybe the new builds or the newly edgeified ships will have those good old plastic furniture covers from the 50's and 60's.. Now that would be really EDGEY...

plastic-furniture-on-couch.jpg

Close.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.09.30 AM.png

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, realnice46 said:

If these are changes to the Solsice class ships we will be cancelling our 2020 cruise on the Eclipse. I loved the current storage etc of this class ship, but no reason to stay with Celebrity now. I agree with previous post just change decor but leave the basic design alone.

I also agree that the prices for Edge class ships are rediculous.

The plan is to apply the Revolution to the complete fleet.   Eclipse is scheduled for November of 2020 so you may be safe depending on when your cruise is.  My understanding is the complete room will be replaced.   They are pre-manufactured as modules and they will pull out the existing one and slide the new one in. 

After sailing on Edge last week (and one thing I forgot to post in my review) is that the extreme use of light colors throughout the ship is going to make it very difficult to keep the ships looking "clean."  All of the white furniture on the Rooftop Garden was already extremely dirty and even our cabin already showed signs of spills and dirt.  The white seats at the sunset bar were also showing signs of dirt and wear and tear.  And the ship was only sailing a little more than a month.

I didn't have any issues with the soft muted colors but I think long term it is going to be very difficult to keep these ships looking clean and new.

29 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

After sailing on Edge last week (and one thing I forgot to post in my review) is that the extreme use of light colors throughout the ship is going to make it very difficult to keep the ships looking "clean."  All of the white furniture on the Rooftop Garden was already extremely dirty and even our cabin already showed signs of spills and dirt.  The white seats at the sunset bar were also showing signs of dirt and wear and tear.  And the ship was only sailing a little more than a month.

I didn't have any issues with the soft muted colors but I think long term it is going to be very difficult to keep these ships looking clean and new.

The only way I can see to effectively use these colors are by:

(A) Use more durable and stain resistant materials, such as you see on Viking Ocean

(B) Issue clean clothing daily, including shoes/slippers, similar to what is done at LDS Temples.

Maybe there's a 3rd option, but it's obviously not what X is doing. BTW,. this is not an attempt to get into religion.  Both are examples of a similar color scheme, with different strategies to keep them clean long term.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 4.15.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 4.10.52 PM.png

On 1/11/2019 at 3:24 PM, C-Dragons said:

We are booked on the 12 night Summit cruise from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale too. Since this is a repositioning Cruise, just wondering if you booked on board to get the two perks?

.... Ah, I finally found the cruise for sale on the website. Too bad it doesn’t include all cabin categories. 

Do not know if this helps, but I just booked Equinox for 2020, and received a reduced deposit for a suite - $450 total...I know, it is definitely not $25, but it does help, at least I decided to bite; now to see what others are offering to sweeten the price, as it is more than when first released...sorry if this is not what you are referring to with your comment!

Edited by Lastdance