Chic Nights on Edge

sun bum

Although your answers were amusing, they really didn;t address the question. Has any who HAS sailed the Edge noticed a difference in the way the passengers are dressing.We have still always felt way over dressed compared to others since Celebrity changed to Chic Nights.Packing evening gowns and a tux really takes up a lot of room and adds weight to the suitcases.   

18 minutes ago, sun bum said:

Although your answers were amusing, they really didn;t address the question. Has any who HAS sailed the Edge noticed a difference in the way the passengers are dressing.We have still always felt way over dressed compared to others since Celebrity changed to Chic Nights.Packing evening gowns and a tux really takes up a lot of room and adds weight to the suitcases.   

Apologies for not making myself clear.

We were on the Edge for the 16th December inaugural cruise and there was the usual mixture of those dressed very chicly and those preferring smart casual.

We really don't scrutinise who's wearing what, but there were some 150 gay guys on this cruise and they stood out with the great dress sense on the two chic nights we had.

As for the luggage weight issue we flew from the UK with a 23kg limit each. That never deterred me taking my two dinner jackets and a suit.

I dress smartly for my wife and no one else. Never would I feel overdressed either.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted. I'm sure you will gain solace from another poster's reply 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We booked the Edge for March. My packing will be the same as my last cruise with Celebrity. I'll be wearing gray, black or blue jeans every evening. I do bring a nice sport jacket. The jacket is my just in case. What I do bring now is one shirt with long sleeves. 99% of the people on the cruise I will never see again. I dress nice and within the guide lines set by Celebrity. We will be dining in Luminae. Unless things have changed, Evening Chic only applies to the MDR. Our last cruise was in Oct/Nov. I really dont remember what other people were wearing. If you want to dress up then do so and enjoy the evening. It is your holiday.

For what its worth, (I realize you are looking for past Edge cruiser feedback) I still treat Chic Nights as Formal Nights, I love to get dressed up. Not sure what sailing you are on but for the February 24, I will be dressed up every night and wearing cocktail dresses on Chic Nights. Have done this on all previous sailings since the change from formal to chic and while dining in Luminae or Blu (whichever applied at the time).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to wear gowns on formal nights. Miss the days when it was like that. 

Regardless, I still get pretty dressed up all nights. Cruises are one of the only places I can do that it seems anymore, so I do it. No gowns, but sparkle and shine 😉

That said, my main reason for coming into this thread since the topic is Chic Nights - anyone know which nights they are on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for Edge? I've booked 2 specialty nights and while I think I am good with one night, I want to make sure the other night isn't a Chic night. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

That said, my main reason for coming into this thread since the topic is Chic Nights - anyone know which nights they are on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for Edge? I've booked 2 specialty nights and while I think I am good with one night, I want to make sure the other night isn't a Chic night. 

I'm getting the impression from reading a lot of the threads that it will be on 2nd and 6th night which is when I booked specialties and beginning to regret it.  I have a sky suite and get to use Luminae and have heard their best menus are on chic nights.

Vtcruising said that they switched the first Chic on her Western cruise from 2nd to 3rd night but that was because 2nd day was Key West and 3rd was a sea day.

You’ll not be alone if you choose to dress up, though you will probably be in the minority. I still wear dresses and heels every night of the cruise, with cocktail dresses on chic nights, and my husband wears a sport coat every evening with a dinner jacket on chic nights. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J80crew said:

You’ll not be alone if you choose to dress up, though you will probably be in the minority. I still wear dresses and heels every night of the cruise, with cocktail dresses on chic nights, and my husband wears a sport coat every evening with a dinner jacket on chic nights. 

We do also and love looking nicely dressed.   For us its a way of life....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I'm getting the impression from reading a lot of the threads that it will be on 2nd and 6th night which is when I booked specialties and beginning to regret it.  I have a sky suite and get to use Luminae and have heard their best menus are on chic nights.

Vtcruising said that they switched the first Chic on her Western cruise from 2nd to 3rd night but that was because 2nd day was Key West and 3rd was a sea day.

We're also in a Sky Suite and some of the menus in luminae are mehhhh compared to Blu and others. We are doing 2 specialties and based on a few choices I would consider Normandie one night. It's just too hard to tell yet. I have seen all of the menus for Blu and Luminae, thanks to a few who have been gracious enough to post them, but who knows what order they'll be in and I have also heard they added a few usuals to Luminae on the current cruise. I've been stuck with a menu with no choice I'd prefer when I could have done specialty that night so I am trying to avoid that problem this time. lol.

21 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We do also and love looking nicely dressed.   For us its a way of life....

And doing it for yourselves and not what others might be wearing.  We could careless if we were the only two dressed up in the MDR. That's how we roll. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, sun bum said:

I was on the January 13th sailing.  I did think that everyone was more "dressed up" than on my previous cruises.  I saw a few tuxes (not many) no long evening gowns, but rather some beautiful dressy short dresses, and black dressy slacks and sparkly dressy tops.  For the most part I think folks seemed to step it up quite a bit with their attire on both chic nights.  Of course i realize that this probably changes from sailing to sailing.

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

We're also in a Sky Suite and some of the menus in luminae are mehhhh compared to Blu and others. We are doing 2 specialties and based on a few choices I would consider Normandie one night. It's just too hard to tell yet. I have seen all of the menus for Blu and Luminae, thanks to a few who have been gracious enough to post them, but who knows what order they'll be in and I have also heard they added a few usuals to Luminae on the current cruise. I've been stuck with a menu with no choice I'd prefer when I could have done specialty that night so I am trying to avoid that problem this time. lol.

Just a FYI. Normandie isn't on the Edge.  I would suggest Fine Cut Steak House.

27 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just a FYI. Normandie isn't on the Edge.  I would suggest Fine Cut Steak House.

There was a Normandie restaurant when I was on the Edge in December!

along with Tuscan , Cyprus and Cosmopolitan.

Edited by Esprit

To  Sun Bun

JCPC had a very good answer. Step it up for Chic night...many do.

We just finished packing for our  EDGE cruise on Sunday. No gown/ cocktail dresses for me or tux/ suit/ jacket /ties for dh.

Our chic night and clothing in general is  what I call  modern  chic..no jeans. I have  2 nice  dresses  ( 1 with flounce sleeves), a club outfit   and some a bit more casual but not daytime wear    My  big b day outfit ( chic night) is kind of retro with a long crinkly  skirt..blousy top w satin  ribbon  trim. .dh has  a matching silk shirt from Tommy Bahama....  

Overall folks dress  very nice on Celebrity . While chic night runs the gamut with no set formula, .everyone usually looks great@

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Thank you...

I wasn't referring to a specialty restaurant Normandie, I was referring to the MDR Normandie...I may be in a suite but if the menu looks good and people like the food I would look at going to one of the main dining rooms...

Just now, Esprit said:

Confusing..Normandie on EDGE is one of the 4 mdrs..Normandie is a specusly restaurant..not on EDGE.  Top specialty on EDGE is  probably Fine Cut Steakhouse..

32 minutes ago, jelayne said:

es Just a FYI. Normandie isn't on the Edge.  I would suggest Fine Cut Steak House.

We are already doing FC one night. I'm considering Normandie on Edge, a MDR, as well. Not a specialty. I just like to consider all my options. Most interested in their signature dishes to try one night, if nothing else in the other main restaurants catch my attention. Not planning to spend extra $ every night.

Edited by CruisingTheWaves

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Back to the OP’s question.  This week on Edge  I would say Chic Nights had more casual than truly dressy.  It seems anything goes.

How funny, our impression the other night was it’s  dressier than our past Celebrity cruises.  Katie