Is This the New Norm for Princess?

Hopperhop

We just got back from the Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess and would like to have feedback if anyone has any.  We have now been on 12 Princess cruises with our most recent one, until the Panama Canal cruise, last February.  

We noticed some changes and we were wondering if this is the new norm for Princess or if it is only on the Caribbean Princess or perhaps due to the Cruise Director(Micca) we had?  First of all there was not a "Welcome Aboard" show that we have had on every other Princess.  Those are nice since it gives you a taste of the what entertainment you have to look forward to during the cruise.  

I attended every show in the Princess Theater(but only one of the two showings) and there was only one show in which the Cruise Director did the opening to the show which for us is highly unusual based on our experience.  

Also when the ships were docked in the ports we visited there was no announcement as to when you could start to get off of the ship.  Of course the Patter always says when you should be pulling in port but we are used to having the cruise director, or someone, announce that you could start getting off.  We could only tell by going to the Piazza and seeing that people were starting to leave.  

Anyway, just wondering if this has been the experience of you folks have on other Princess ships or if this was unusual due to our Cruise Director?

The cruise was great and we all really enjoyed it!  Now I just love the 10 day cruises and don't know if I can go back to the "short" 7 day cruises!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

We just got back from a 15 day Hawaii cruise.  I'm not sure about the Welcome Aboard show.  If there was one, I missed it.  Our cruise director did open for the theater shows, at least the ones I went to.  They definitely did an announcement for every port to let us know when we could get off the ship.

I  was on Emerald last year;  some shows the cruise director opened; and a few the ass't cruise director or entertainment director opened the theater show.  Maybe it is a timing thing; can't be in two places at once.  Sometimes we were in cabin and did not know if the announcement to leave ship was made; so it could be possible;  but I do not think the they did that on purpose; not letting guests know when you can leave the ship would be wrong.  I will be on Caribbean next month;  what did you say your cruise directors name is;  they may be ours too.  Oh, we did have welcome aboard show;  but missed it

Edited by AF-1
added txt

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I  was on Emerald last year;  some shows the cruise director opened; and a few the ass't cruise director or entertainment director opened the theater show.  Maybe it is a timing thing; can't be in two places at once.  Sometimes we were in cabin and did not know if the announcement to leave ship was made; so it could be possible;  but I do not think the they did that on purpose; not letting guests know when you can leave the ship would be wrong.  I will be on Caribbean next month;  what did you say your cruise directors name is;  they may be ours too.

His name was Michael but he went by Micca.  I can't recall his last name.  He was the most non involved Cruise Director that we have ever had on a cruise, Princess or otherwise.  

Thank you; maybe he was sick and was trying to get better so he stayed away from guests.  I will give him the benefit; however, if he is on the Feb cruise and not involved I will post on this thread.  Cheers

• Like 1

Regarding the announcements, I think that AF-1 identified the issue.

I know that I have heard the announcements that passengers can leave the ship, but I also know there have been port stops where I haven't heard it.  The ships do have the capability to limit the range of public announcements--specifically, they can make shipboard announcements that are not broadcasted into the passengers' cabins.  Often, I have been in our cabin and could hear that there was an announcement, but it was not loud enough for me to hear in the cabin.  Other times, it is loud and clear in the cabin.

As a general rule, my observation has been that bridge announcements are delivered to the cabins and Cruise Director announcements are not. 

My wife likes to sleep in most mornings.  She really does not care if at 8:00 am passengers may leave the ship.

Also, I would not be surprised if the policy could vary from ship to ship.

I can't comment on the OP's other questions.

We just got off CB Jan.02 after a very nice 14 nt Holiday cruise but Micca was the poorest excuse for a CD that we have had in over 34 cruises. We wondered how he got the job as he was seldom out & about and did not show any noticeable talents. Although it was somewhat humorous having him leading the Xmas carols and trying to find the right notes.😉

He did appear on stage after the shows but said very little.

No announcements were made as to when the ship had been cleared and that we could disembark.

The Captain's departure announcements could not be heard on the cabin tv. We had to open our door to hear them.

Edited by macmax

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

As a general rule, my observation has been that bridge announcements are delivered to the cabins and Cruise Director announcements are not. 

I agree and can't remember a cruise (25 on Princess) where this was not the case.

Ever since Princess split the duties of the "cruise director" (now they have two positions:  CD and Entertainment Director), I have found that much has been lacking rather than enhanced.  Strictly my opinion.

On my most recent cruise (September 2018), I spoke the the CD/ED.  I mentioned how I was dissatisfied with the removal of the All Aboard Show AND the crew talent show at the end of the cruise.  He said that both have been discontinued.  On a few occasions, the CD/ED announced an entertainer in the second showroom.  Never in the Princess Theater.  He showed up after the show to promote the next day's activities.

I do miss the All Aboard Show where they introduced all of the assistants.  This set the tone for the week ahead.  Princess is missing the boat with their retractions of duties.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We first experienced the new position of ED back in 2016 and since it was newish at the time (I think it happened on our April TA, but not on our Jan 2016 Caribbean cruise), I gave them the benefit of the doubt as to how well it was working.

Recently wrapped up a Star Princess 30-day, here - I'd say our ship communication regarding movement/disembarkation was pretty reliable, whether it was to when disembarkation was cleared and ready, when the ship was still awaiting for customs officials to come from shore, and/or when we were still awaiting passengers that were coming back from Machu Picchu and the ship was blowing its horn to welcome them back ;). Disembarkation was usually from the Staff Captain and noon updates from the Captain; they never originated from the Cruise/Entertainment Director - his updates were related to entertainment events on board.

In terms of evening showing presence, I didn't catch many shows and so can only say that members of our entertainment team were regularly present at the entry to the theater. I wouldn't have faulted ours for being missing - and our CD definitely was doing closing handlings at even afternoon presentations - as he and the rest of the entertainment team seemed to be so very booked with hosting a slew of events throughout the day and evening. (According to the patters, our Welcome Aboard showings were specific, featuring a comedian on our LA embarkation and a magician on San Antonio embarkation.)

50 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Ever since Princess split the duties of the "cruise director" (now they have two positions:  CD and Entertainment Director), I have found that much has been lacking rather than enhanced.  Strictly my opinion.

On my most recent cruise (September 2018), I spoke the the CD/ED.  I mentioned how I was dissatisfied with the removal of the All Aboard Show AND the crew talent show at the end of the cruise.  He said that both have been discontinued.  On a few occasions, the CD/ED announced an entertainer in the second showroom.  Never in the Princess Theater.  He showed up after the show to promote the next day's activities.

I do miss the All Aboard Show where they introduced all of the assistants.  This set the tone for the week ahead.  Princess is missing the boat with their retractions of duties.  

I agree since the ED position was created the entertainment has become really bad in all aspects.

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, were there stilll plenty of fun things to do on sea days, even though the CD wasn't all that visable much of the time?

There is still all of the regular stuff to do on sea days.  Trivia, art auction, bingo things in the piazza and usually live music by the pool.  I found all of those to be the same as normal it is just that the CD was basically not very visible except for doing the Wake show which we always watched.  One thing I did notice missing this time was the pool games which they usually have in the afternoons.  I don't know if that was at the discretion of the CD or if they have basically eliminated them on all of the Princess cruise ships.   

17 minutes ago, Hopperhop said:

There is still all of the regular stuff to do on sea days.  Trivia, art auction, bingo things in the piazza and usually live music by the pool.  I found all of those to be the same as normal it is just that the CD was basically not very visible except for doing the Wake show which we always watched.  One thing I did notice missing this time was the pool games which they usually have in the afternoons.  I don't know if that was at the discretion of the CD or if they have basically eliminated them on all of the Princess cruise ships.   

Just curious. We are in our mid 60s and have all but stopped booking HAL cruises because they have just become too boring for us on sea days. We've booked quite a few extended Princess and Celebrity cruises in the next few years because we have always enjoyed their interactive game shows, lectures and lively evening shows in the main theater as well as their other entertainment venues. As long as they continue with those type of events as we have experienced in the past, we'll be happy.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

On my most recent cruise (September 2018), I spoke the the CD/ED.  I mentioned how I was dissatisfied with the removal of the All Aboard Show AND the crew talent show at the end of the cruise.  He said that both have been discontinued.  

Could you clarify??  When you mention the "crew talent show at the end" are you referring to the Culinary Show (what I think they called it...)  where they do a comedy-of-sorts- routine with the kitchen staff, then crew members compete  in a talent show of sorts?? 

If that is now 'gone',  that will be very disappointing...whatever we thought of any other show, we always kinda liked that one.  🙂  

Edited by rgmacm

5 minutes ago, rgmacm said:

Could you clarify??  When you mention the "crew talent show at the end" are you referring to the Culinary Show (what I think they called it...)  where they do a comedy-of-sorts- routine with the kitchen staff, then crew members compete  in a talent show of sorts?? 

If that is now 'gone',  that will be very disappointing...whatever we thought of any other show, we always kinda liked that one.  🙂  

The crew talent show is not the culinary demo on the last day.

It was actual crew performing/singing etc at a show that was at night.

• Like 1

Other than our first voyages on Princess we have not been to the "opening show" again as we find it to be oriented to newbies.  We view it as a waste of time for the more experienced pax.  However each to their own.  

I can't recall a Princess cruise when shore announcements, Captain's noon briefings, all aboard announcements being played in the staterooms.  We always have to open the hall door to hear the announcements.  For those that are not going ashore and still sleeping, announcing it is time to go ashore would be quite annoying.  Thank you for the quiet as we do not need to hear them.  

We were on the CB in November and I don't know who the CD actually was and in my case could care less.  On most if not all our cruises Princess or other, I rarely know who the CD happens to be.  I realize though that some get a thrill about knowing who (s)he is.  On the November cruise at the few theater events we went to the CD did come on stage at the end of the performance which was about the time we were out of our chairs and leaving.  Someone else from the CD staff did appear in the Vista and Explorer lounge to introduce certain performances/games/etc which was nice.  

We do always attend the cooking show as sometimes it can really be funny but mostly is serious.  We prefer the comedy ones.  It is nice though to gain pointers from the head chef and do like the parade at the end of select galley and MDR staff since they take good care of us.  This show has always been presented and one we look forward to watching.  

One nice touch on the last cruise was that the simulcast the theater show in the Explorer Lounge making it very easy to find a seat and to have bar staff available for drinks.  I hope this spreads to the fleet.  

There does seem to be something a bit disjointed since they added the ED position.  Does the ED answer to the CD?  Vice versa?  Neither?  Have other lines adopted this 2 tiered approach?  I've heard that the CD (prior to the advent of the ED) was the second highest paid position on board.  Over the years we've had some great CDs and some that were great disappearing acts.

We had a 15 day cruise on the Emerald that ended Jan 3.

Although there was no "Welcome Aboard" show, there was a performer at two times in the Princess Theater on embarkation evening.

As I remember it, the CD did introduce some of the non-Production shows in the Princess Theater, but to be honest, I do not need the CD to come out and say "Are you ready for a great show?" and then say the name of the performer.

The ED was invisible and there was no way that worked to contact her.

I do miss the crew talent shows. Often they had better performers than the professional performers.

I remember the CD for Sapphire (Marcus) being visible at all shows and approachable other times.  I was told to contact the ED to set up hanukkah but I could never find him so Marcus did it. In fact I thought he was the CD for the previous cruises (Royal & Diamond last spring) only to learn on the Sapphire that he was the assistant CD then. Works for me. 

Steve Campbell was our CD on the Caribbean Princess in October, and he did a first rate job. He was all over the ship, participating in numerous activities, including the "Can you beat the cruise director" game show (totally rigged and hilarious) and he sang in the piazza one day.

I was very disappointed when the crew shows stopped. I asked the ED on the Star about this after the theater backstage tour. He said it was too difficult to coordinate the crew members' schedules for rehearsals and shows. 😥