Do you lock your luggage?

bbtbear

We never lock luggage. We also carry our own luggage off the ship. The only disadvantage i can think of is if they had to search your luggage for some reason. I'm sure they will show no mercy when it comes to opening your bag with a lock on it.

48 minutes ago, bbtbear said:

Just wondering if anyone locks their luggage, either before getting onto the ship or when leaving them outside your cabin on the last night? Are there any disadvantages to locking your luggage up?

I lock mine.  If they are that desperate to steal my dirty underwear, than they will have to work for it.

• Haha 1

Hi

It takes no effort at all for someone who is determined to steal. I do not lock my luggage when traveling.

I do use the locks on the luggage once on the ship/ in hotel for larger souvenir type things. On the ship I my bag is usually stored under the bed. Nothing "valuable" is kept in luggage, they provide a safe for anything important.

• Like 1

I use the TSA locks for the few times I've checked my bag on airlines or given it to a porter at the seaport.

Once, someone opened one of the two zippered outside pockets and used a box cutter blade to slash the inner lining (as well as cut my Tilley hat).  Just because it's locked (and it doesn't take much to defeat that type of lock with a slender screwdriver or snap it open with power pliers) don't assume your belongings are safe from mischief.

• Like 1

When we drop the bags with the porter upon arrival we don't lock the bags. 

But when we put the luggage out the last evening to sit in the hall we use TSA approved combination locks to avoid someone strolling down the hallway from taking a quick peek.  It may not actually make a difference but it makes me feel better 😀

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, summersigh said:

When we drop the bags with the porter upon arrival we don't lock the bags. 

But when we put the luggage out the last evening to sit in the hall we use TSA approved combination locks to avoid someone strolling down the hallway from taking a quick peek.  It may not actually make a difference but it makes me feel better 😀

This is the direction I'm leaning toward, as well.

4 hours ago, bbtbear said:

Just wondering if anyone locks their luggage, either before getting onto the ship or when leaving them outside your cabin on the last night? Are there any disadvantages to locking your luggage up?

No...I only pack clothes in my suitcase...any valuables or personal papers go in my carryon.

I also carry on all my bags for the cruise, but for flying they get checked.

I don't worry about anyone going through them..nobody wants a 51 year olds underwear and tshirts  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I lock mine.  If they are that desperate to steal my dirty underwear, than they will have to work for it.

Exactly, if you have nothing to hide, don't lock it. We have never locked luggage and have never had stolen.

• Like 1